00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kekiiro just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Blood donors crew

23,360 Views | 201 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-03-15 03:00:03

I'd like to donate Blood in 15 days more...sadly, I got the flu >:\

Let's see what happens...

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-03-15 17:19:33

At 3/15/07 03:00 AM, Ozcar wrote: I'd like to donate Blood in 15 days more...sadly, I got the flu >:\

Let's see what happens...

I havn't donated in a while, after a few injections (Tetanus) And a dodgey piercing that I regret, It's been a little difficult giving my blood away.
:(

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-03-15 17:47:54

Noone seems to have it in their sig yet.

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-04-02 17:54:19

So yeah, I'm driving to the location and I turn left on a street that a squad car turned on just mere seconds before me, as he was coming from the opposite direction. I don't like to get pulled over, so I maintain his rate of speed and stay behind him. Turns out we are about to pass a school, and it's a little after 12 Noon and this school allows kids to go home for lunch. Therefore, the school zone 15 MPH blinkers are on. I continue to keep pace with Philadelphia's finest, as I don't know this guy personally and I don't want to risk being pulled over, as I have to be there at 1 PM. It just so happens that someone in the lane to my left decides not to follow suit and exceeds the 15 MPH limit, and subsequently slams on his brakes once he see's the unit... he was too late. I see the officer wave his hand out the window, pass in front of me into the lane to my left behind the car and he hits his horn along with turning on his lights and proceeds to pull him over. I laughed.

When I get there they had a nice spread out; snacks, doughnuts, pizza, juice, soda. I went through the preliminaries and signed on the dotted lines. I was good to go, but there was a bit of a wait. After about 30 minutes I was called upon, and we began. She seemed good at her job and everything went smoothly. She kept asking me my name, as to make sure she's not mixed up, and I'm of sound mind. When she asked me the third time I replied "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die." She was young enough to understand the joke and she got a chuckle after it. After everything was done, I had a juice, a couple slices of pizza, and a bottle of water and went home. That was pretty much it.

Oh for those of you who can't put 2 and 2 together, this is what happened to me today when I went to give blood. I'm not going to bother putting up a pic of my paperwork that I received after I gave blood, as I don't know if I'll end up being a "member." But if ya'll want proof I can oblige. I just thought this was a good story to share in a thread that seems a bit inactive right now.

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-04-03 03:34:47

^

You don't need to apply, even if you support Blood Doners, you can join, there shouldn't be a set of rules to join in saving peoples lives.

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-04-15 21:56:14

In calgary, they used to have nice comfy Lazy boy chairs! Man those were sooo comfortable. You can just sink into it, and it cups your back. They also had squishy balls! (Stress toys), to help keep the blood flowing. But then for years they use these weird looking plastic containers that resemble dildos. Dammit. Why do they have to make giving blood change? and not only that they got rid of the lazy boys, and replaced them with those clinic bed looking things. But I'll still give. I'm at 38 donations now!

At 4/22/09 12:38 AM, MultiCanimefan wrote: Raped by hongkong. NEXT.

Yeah, that was one champion of a post, wasn't it? -Zerok

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-04-16 01:13:17

Me too! but I'm O-Positive. I can take from Other O-Positives, *eyesThe-Review-Cometh, with shifty eyes, like cowboy movie*, but can give to everyone..... who's positive. so be happy everyone ha ha ha.

Anyways, a more serious note, in the States you guys get compensated for your blood donations right? In Canada we don't, that's not a bad thing. Like who really wants to get poked and have a disfiguring tiny scar in that tiny area (where the fore arm meets the elbow, but under the arm area)? so what do you guys usually spend it on? If I was reimbersed I would donate it or sething. That is if a Movie is not playing.... I'm a movie addict.

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-06-05 00:58:19

Hey guys!

Remember that next June 14th it's the International Blood donors day :)

Let's donate some of our blood that day! Let's make that a bloody day >:)

Remember to take pics and upload them in the BBS...

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-06-05 01:00:49

At 6/5/07 12:58 AM, Ozcar wrote: Hey guys!
Remember that next June 14th it's the International Blood donors day :)
Let's donate some of our blood that day! Let's make that a bloody day >:)
Remember to take pics and upload them in the BBS...

-I heard that donating blood can give you after effects. Examples would be really tired, hungry and thristy most of the time, and tired again. :/
-How much blood do they take away from you anyways? :/

Guinness Book of World Record holder for the game Blur on Xbox 360, NG's Legendary Member.

Click my sig to see the best Newgrounds flash EVA! Give it a review as well. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-06-05 01:23:34

At 6/5/07 01:00 AM, Seamonky wrote: -I heard that donating blood can give you after effects. Examples would be really tired, hungry and thristy most of the time, and tired again. :/

In less of 8 hours you're back to normal...

Whenever I donate, I get a little hungry, but that's all... I guess it's different for each person.

-How much blood do they take away from you anyways? :/

A normal unit is 450ml... that's called 1 pint. One pint is roughly equal to 1 pound. Women have about 10 pints, and men about 12 pints of blood in their bodies.

Other of your questions might have an answer here: Central blood bank FAQ

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-06-05 17:49:02

After a slight reminder by Ozcar to pay a visit back, I will not be able to donate on the 14th! :(
this is due to me racing at Marlow Town Regatta at my current rowing club in training for the national championships, which pushes my donation date either for the 11th of June (My birthday) OR, the 21st of June, this the optimum time for my training.

I hope you all donate, as it's a really good cause, and not nearly enough people do it.

<3 to everyone!

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-06-05 19:26:42

I would donate on blood donors day, but, I gave a few days ago, and they won't let me donate until sometime in June. I'm at 39 donations. Finally the big 4-oh. (the body holds 8-10 pints of blood, so I have either donated 5 me's worth of blood or 4 (if you are counting from the 10). ouch! and always remember if you donate whole blood you can save 3 lives! (because they told me they split the blood up and add to other doner's blood. so 120 lives?

If that's the case. I'm going to go up to Edmonton, and donate blood up there for my last 10 donations. That way.... I can give a peaceful parting, "Fuck you" to that city that fucked with me. Lol. By saving 30 of their worthless "humans", if you want to call those brain dead zombie mutants that (from drug use, and STDS, their genes have mutated),

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-06-06 16:43:59

i've donated three times and this year would be my fourth. i usually do it sometime around late june because my old high school does it once a year.

i should do it more, but i don't have time.

i fained a few times the last time i donated. I guess i had some low blood sugar that day or whatnot, but i was there for about an hour, every time i stood up, i'd nearly pass out again.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-06-06 20:20:21

Ah, the spirit of a true selfless donor... Well done on the 40 donations though. If I donate on the 14th I'll be at 2. Look at me go! So I'll have saved up to six lives perhaps. Ah well, I'll get to double figures eventually.

Anyone know the world record?

>>Well then Lazypint: what about donations 1-40? Those were done through aulturustic motives. The world record I believe is held by a Frenchman, who donated since he was a teen, back in the 30s, or something. and some astronomically high number.

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-06-11 20:10:46

I'd join but I'm only 14. Good job all of you!

<3

BBS Signature

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-06-13 02:21:03

At 6/6/07 08:20 PM, hongkongexpress wrote: >>Well then Lazypint: what about donations 1-40? Those were done through aulturustic motives. The world record I believe is held by a Frenchman, who donated since he was a teen, back in the 30s, or something. and some astronomically high number.

I'd rather to donate blood to save a life, than to break a record :)

Well...you can always do both things, I guess XD

Guys, remember that tomorrow is the big day, stay tunned!

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-06-14 15:45:46

I used to donate blood-- until Red Cross banned me for being gay.
I have been working for a long time to get that rule removed because this isn't the 80s anymore... banning gay people doesn't curb AIDS anymore than banning Black people (who also supposedly have a high propensity to HIV and AIDS infection.)

You are good people to donate.
I would never ask people to not donate or to boycott because blood is life and it would be petty to with hold life--

but I urge everyone that you ought to write to the Red Cross and tell them that gay people ought to donate blood. We, after all, want to help out just like everyone else.

Anyways... read an editorial I wrote about two years ago at SJSU after they banned me...
And my response from Sara O'brien...

I hope that one day, I will be able to help out people again in this special way.

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-08-21 17:29:16

Donated my 40th pint of blood. The human body holds 8-10 so I gave either 5 or 4 times my body! (depeneding on which one you use). I read in a phamplete there that, each whole blood donation saves up to 3 lives (because they seperate the blood into 3 diffrent types (and add yours to others doner's blood to for a patient). so each donation does not go to just one person but 3 people!

I just hate how they got rid of the Lazy boy chairs though. Damn those things were soooo comfy. And replaced it with hard leather bed (couch looking things). oh well I'll still donate. filled out a draw for a Digital Camera. ( a summer give away). As people are busy picnicking, or vacaioning, or something during the Summer. Or just vegging out, and the need for blood increases during this time. I hope I win!

my Scar is coming nicely (remember guys it's a scar of pride, a badge of honour (as the nurse tells us), like who really wants a freaky looking needle in our arms, sticking straight up so you can't bend. Since I'm leaving the country. I'm going donate where ever my travels take me. So far China, then to England. (as I take some wacky ESL teaching course, and perhaps work there). Then go from country to country and donate. That way there's a piece of me everywhere. nuts huh?

Anyways. have a bloody good time guys.

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-08-21 17:38:57

At 6/14/07 03:45 PM, fli wrote: I used to donate blood-- until Red Cross banned me for being gay.
I have been working for a long time to get that rule removed because this isn't the 80s anymore... banning gay people doesn't curb AIDS anymore than banning Black people (who also supposedly have a high propensity to HIV and AIDS infection.)

You are good people to donate.
I would never ask people to not donate or to boycott because blood is life and it would be petty to with hold life--

but I urge everyone that you ought to write to the Red Cross and tell them that gay people ought to donate blood. We, after all, want to help out just like everyone else.

Anyways... read an editorial I wrote about two years ago at SJSU after they banned me...
And my response from Sara O'brien...

I hope that one day, I will be able to help out people again in this special way.

>> There were these two gay men in East CAnada, who wanted to donate blood for Christmas, but they were denied, despite having no AIDS. A reporter covered this, but nothing came of it. They Canada Blood Services still ask, that question. Have you had sex with an man. or have I been in prison in the past year. The Cocaine, and Illegal drugs with a needle, and paid for sex question I understand. About the blacks having AIDS, they do ask that question. They ask have we ever been to :Gabon, nigeria, Ivory Coast, Equtorial New Geneia, and or had sex with people from there, since 1977.

They also don't allow people from Europe to donate namely :UK, France, Wales, Ireland, and other countries affected with Mad Cows. Which is a stupid thing to do, because 95% of Americans and Canadians are Caucasian. They made a funny caricature on the news about this.

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-08-21 18:03:21

>>> I personally like to give blood for the free cookies, and pop! he he he. Nah. I like to give blood, because I'm such a broke ass, that I don't have much money to give, so I give what I do have blood. I did it since High school. been going to the Red Cross office back and forth for 10 years. But I think I'm going to give my arms a rest for a while. Nah. I'll just give again. Remember you save up to 3 lives with each donation! so times what ever your amout is by 3 and you have the number of lives you changed. They are usually in for Cancer related operations (which can be helped, Cancer recovery is astounding). For example, one patient took my bone marrow, and had her old bone marrow nuked, and was able to survive. She told me she became closer to God. I personally don't believe in God, but if it made her happy to believe then it's all good. Many people, especially children have childhood illnesses, and need operations, so they can grow into healthy happy adults. Like this one commercial had a teenage girl, who survived her operation....

about the record..... It WON'T be broken. unless you donate Phresis, what ever the hell that is, you can go more often. But I don't have the time, so I donate whole blood. I plan to donate during my adventures in the world (aka being an TEFL teacher, and raking it in, and give blood, that way I'm all over the place).

At 6/13/07 02:21 AM, Ozcar wrote:
At 6/6/07 08:20 PM, hongkongexpress wrote: >>Well then Lazypint: what about donations 1-40? Those were done through aulturustic motives. The world record I believe is held by a Frenchman, who donated since he was a teen, back in the 30s, or something. and some astronomically high number.
I'd rather to donate blood to save a life, than to break a record :)

Well...you can always do both things, I guess XD

Guys, remember that tomorrow is the big day, stay tunned!

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-08-24 02:19:22

Taken from American redcross site. Some facts of Blood donations.

Did you know ...

* Every 10 seconds , someone in the United States receives a blood transfusion
* If you began donating blood at age 17 and donated every 56 days until you reached 76, you would have donated 48 gallons of blood
* For every 2.8 gallons of blood someone has donated, they have supported the entire nation's blood needs for 1 minute
* One out of every 10 people entering a hospital needs blood
* The average transfusion is 3.4 pints
* Females receive 57% of blood transfused; males receive 47%
* A newborn baby has about one cup of blood in his or her body
* An average adult has about 10 pints of blood in his or her body
* About 95% of people living to the age of 72 will need a blood transfusion at some time in their life, yet only 5% of the population donates blood
* China, a nation of over a billion people, uses approximately 2 million pints* of blood a year. In comparison, the USA, which is about 1/4 the size of China, uses 12 million pints of blood a year. This twentyfold greater use of blood in the USA reflects the greater number of sophisticated surgical and medical treatments being carried out here, made possible by an active all-volunteer blood supply. In China, only 1 percent of blood is provided by volunteer donors, with most of the rest coming from paid donors. As of October, 1998, China has outlawed paid donations, and is taking strong action to encourage volunteer donations by every healthy citizen between 18 and 55 years of age. Their greatest challenge is overcoming the widespread fear that donating blood is harmful to one's health. (Source: Sophie Guo, Graduate Student, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China - Jan 6, 1999).

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-10-02 03:12:24

bap

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-10-24 00:33:39

There we go finally donated for my 41st donation. That's 123 lives saved. Ha ha funny number. Drove the 92 Hyundai out there. What a voyage. I didn't think the HMS Caseyland could make it that far without melting. Man that's some bad ass coolant! Might stay in Canada long enough for another donation here, who knows. Looking forward to spilling my blood else where in the world though.

Oscar post here dude!

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-10-27 23:09:53

I have questions....

.....what are the requirements for donating blood in NYC.......

.....,and ....I have a fainting problem, so I might not be able to at least 2 times per year, but if I do it as much as i can, can I still join?

I miss my old sig )=

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-10-29 01:59:28

of course you can join. Now if only we can get the founder of this crew to come back, his name is Ozcar. about fainting. you have issues of fainting while donating?

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-10-29 19:58:42

At 10/29/07 01:59 AM, hongkongexpress wrote: of course you can join. Now if only we can get the founder of this crew to come back, his name is Ozcar. about fainting. you have issues of fainting while donating?

Like I said, I don't know if I can even donate yet.......NY laws are kinda screwy on these things.

If it turns out that I can, I'll join. If not, I can still help at blood drives and stuff.

......and I ...just tend to faint ....for no known reason.

I miss my old sig )=

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-10-29 20:27:38

Oh nice, never noticed this before. I've only donated blood once before, and I'm able to do it again November the 26th, and I'll be sure to do so before the end of the year. I'm only 16 years old, but my dad can sign a disclaimer to let them take blood from me....first time really had me scared since I think I'm underweight (and the scale that I used to give them my weight always adds a few pounds) but it went through nice. I'm definitely looking forward to giving again.

I'll post my papers later on, but I'd like to join for now. Also, I'm going to keep June 14th in mind from now on....I didn't even know 16 year olds could donate back then, so yeah, that's my excuse XD. I'm sure that I'm going to give within a week of each time I'm clear from now on.

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-11-13 04:24:41

They gave you a Free "Pint" glass. Lucky bastard. All they give me is free cookies, and juice.... Well there's nothing wrong, sometimes, some people can't donate. That's no problem, about your friend. Sometimes girls faint in there (because they feel faint), but since I'm a fat boy, then I have thick veins. (since I started to work out, the machine tells my my blood pressure is going way down, (to healthy levels).

so you've helped save 6 people so far. O negatives. I'm O positive. We can give to Everyone us O's, but only O Negative can get from O negative. Yea like only 4% for Canada. And when you do give blood, people say ptttsh big deal. but they do nothing absolutely nothing for society. like 6 people that's impressive.

Response to Blood donors crew 2007-11-15 23:25:13

Oh yea..... Arthur Douglas... Personally I like the restuarant at the end of the universe. Now that's crazy.

Response to Blood donors crew 2008-01-17 02:41:21

I did it I finally donated the 42 donations. 8 more then I'm at Silver, or 50. Yayyyyyyy. I drove up to Edmonton for this momentous occasion! the ships nuclear reactor... (the coolant system bursted of course), on the way back, but I'm glad I donated so that makes my historical record 1 in Vancouver 1 in Edmonton, and 41 and more in Calgary. So I have some influence in the time lines of others up there where I'm the farthest away.