New Topic Respond to this Topic
PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-16 12:14:04 Reply

Yeah, and the sidequests that you can do are few and either short and annoying or long and tiresome.
Yes, I'm looking at you, Monster Arena.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-16 12:20:34 Reply

At 12/16/10 08:16 AM, portalwarpedJP wrote: But this was two days ago. I already started X (I'm kinda on a marathon) and already defeated Gui.
Does anyone find this game a little too linear?

I feel the linear nature of FFX made sense. Your main focus is to go to Zanarkand traveling all the way from Besaid Island. It's a long journey to Zanarkand.

I hear FFXIII is even more linear than FFX. One of my friends claimed FFXIII isn't even hiding its linear nature. I'm usually not fussy if a game is linear or not, unless it feels too straight forward for what it is (e.g. Metroid Prime Hunters).

PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-16 17:19:52 Reply

I hope you guys don't mind, but I'm gonna rant here for a minute.
I. HATE. BLITZBALL.
I mean, it's so boring and repetitive after three or so matches. The enemy defenders/goalies always seem to get positive bonuses when they're tackling, blocking and grabbing the ball. The same for passes and shots. Theirs take ages to weaken.
But mine always get negative bonuses: most of the times, my defender with 10 AT can't stop someone with 7 EN, my goalie with 15 GC suffers a goal from a 8 SH ball 4/5ths of the time, and so on.
I also HATE how you have to spend 10,000 Gil just to have a decent team for one match because of how much the Aurochs suck.
And last, but not least, I hate the prizes. I don't really mind Jupiter Sigil and Wakka's overdrives, but Status and Aurochs Reels both suck, and the fact that I have to go through two League seasons to get them is almost like Square wanted to torture me. If they all were on Tournaments, it'd be okay. And the regular prizes you get suck major ass as well, with the best being a Dark Matter on a League season that I only saw once. But I would need 59 more of those if I were to use it on my weapons to Break Damage Limit.

/rant
Yeah, that's how much I hate it.

Blaze-Heatnix
Blaze-Heatnix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-16 18:05:09 Reply

At 12/16/10 05:19 PM, portalwarpedJP wrote: Yeah, that's how much I hate it.

Good luck getting Wakka's ultimate weapon then, if you actually care to do so. I hate Blitzball too. In fact, if it weren't for the story and soundtrack, I'd hate the whole game. But those 2 factors stand out to me as the best in the series, even next to FFVI. It's my third favorite FF, VII being my second and VI being my first.

Also, remember way back when I was chronicling my adventures through different FFs and I started IX? Well I quit. I don't know why really, especially when I was only 5 minutes into it, literally.

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-16 18:18:01 Reply

At 12/16/10 12:20 PM, Bahamut wrote: I hear FFXIII is even more linear than FFX. One of my friends claimed FFXIII isn't even hiding its linear nature. I'm usually not fussy if a game is linear or not, unless it feels too straight forward for what it is (e.g. Metroid Prime Hunters).

If FFX is linear then linear doesn't bother me at all. FFXIII is something different. At least in X you could wander around towns and do side quests and stuff. XIII is like the boring paths of X copy and pasted with all the actual fun parts completely ignored.

Apparently it changes after Chapter 11 but I got that far and stopped playing. Not out of protest, but I joined Lovefilm at that point and they've been supplying me with games for months now. It's coming up in my mind more and more now so I reckon I'll get on with it in the coming weeks.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-16 18:53:36 Reply

At 12/16/10 06:05 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: But those 2 factors stand out to me as the best in the series, even next to FFVI. It's my third favorite FF, VII being my second and VI being my first.

I'll have to disagree with the soundtrack part, but the story was indeed brilliant. You're also probably the first person to say that VI is your favorite. Everyone else seems to think of it as the second best for some reason.

Also, remember way back when I was chronicling my adventures through different FFs and I started IX? Well I quit. I don't know why really, especially when I was only 5 minutes into it, literally.

Chickening out on IX? Tsk tsk.

jk
MattTheParanoidKat
MattTheParanoidKat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-17 15:34:02 Reply

At 12/16/10 06:53 PM, portalwarpedJP wrote:
At 12/16/10 06:05 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: But those 2 factors stand out to me as the best in the series, even next to FFVI. It's my third favorite FF, VII being my second and VI being my first.
I'll have to disagree with the soundtrack part, but the story was indeed brilliant. You're also probably the first person to say that VI is your favorite. Everyone else seems to think of it as the second best for some reason.

Um, Hi, I am a massive whore for Final Fantasy VI, call Terra mai waifu, think Kefka is the best villian ever and my blog is called Dancing Mad I think I have professed my loved time and time again for VI.

PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-17 15:44:21 Reply

At 12/17/10 03:34 PM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote: Um, Hi, I am a massive whore for Final Fantasy VI, call Terra mai waifu, think Kefka is the best villian ever and my blog is called Dancing Mad I think I have professed my loved time and time again for VI.

Oops, sorry. There's you as well. My bad.
In other news, I think I'm overleveled in the Thunder Plains. This is because I forgot some treasures and looked everywhere for them, and it took me one hour to find them. What abilities you guys think you had by this point?

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-18 09:46:10 Reply

At 12/16/10 06:05 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: Also, remember way back when I was chronicling my adventures through different FFs and I started IX? Well I quit. I don't know why really, especially when I was only 5 minutes into it, literally.

I think a break was what you needed. Give it another try when you've recharged your batteries.

At 12/16/10 06:18 PM, Nev wrote: Apparently it changes after Chapter 11 but I got that far and stopped playing.

I keep hearing FFXIII gets good at a certain point. That doesn't sound good if the first half or whatever is bad. However, I can only decide all of this myself whenever I play the damn game and considering it doesn't quite meet its expectations, I can easily let it wait. For PS3 games, I'd rather prioritise Uncharted 1 and 2 and Assassin's Creed II over FFXIII.

NGChattingAce
NGChattingAce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-18 15:17:04 Reply

At 12/18/10 09:46 AM, Bahamut wrote: I keep hearing FFXIII gets good at a certain point. That doesn't sound good if the first half or whatever is bad. However, I can only decide all of this myself whenever I play the damn game and considering it doesn't quite meet its expectations, I can easily let it wait. For PS3 games, I'd rather prioritise Uncharted 1 and 2 and Assassin's Creed II over FFXIII.

I will still stand by my firm belief that FFXIII is one of the best games in the series.

The reason people say it doesn't get good until a certain point is because the first half of the game or so is entirely linear, but at least it makes sense and isn't the result of laziness. I for one had no issue with the linearity because at the very least the locales, and characters were switched up often enough to keep it interesting.

Another point people like to bring up is the cast. Without spoiling anything I can say that the majority of the cast is actually quite good. I think this time their design is more focused on their personalities rather than some kind of outlandish character design that has merit only in how weird or cool it looks. Again, I think the characters all make sense in the story and aside from a few they are all good in their own right.

Story wise I again assert that FFXIII is better than it is given credit for, it dares to do things differently in an age where most people are fine with recycling and reusing.

So yeah, don't come into this expecting the FF you've come to know and love, but instead as a game that stands alone in its own right as something of high quality and character.

Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-18 09:05:59 Reply

So they're making FFXIII-2. I hope they put more effort into it than they did X-2. I'll get this for sure, even though It's nearly 2 years away. I really enjoyed XIII, so actually look forward to this. But....we still haven't heard or seen much more about XIII Agito and Versus :/

Final Fantasy Club

Syztm
Syztm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-18 09:19:57 Reply

Why does the logo only show Lightning and Fang? Let's hope they don't go all Charlie's Angels again, that would seriously suck.

New tune: Yag

36Holla
36Holla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Filmmaker
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-18 11:33:52 Reply

At 1/18/11 09:05 AM, Life-Stream wrote: So they're making FFXIII-2.

NOOOOOOO! NO MORE OF THAT HALLWAY WORLD! NO MORE OF THOSE CHARACTERS! NOOOOOO!

even though It's nearly 2 years away.

I heard it's being released in 2011. Seriously, why did they have to do this? Where can you go in that story after the end of 13? The world's saved and you all know what that means! Another adventure based on a horrible clothes based class system, and Pop music. If Lightning starts singing at any point in the game, I'm going to hate myself so much for even playing it.

because somehow I'm going to probably end up playing it.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature
MattTheParanoidKat
MattTheParanoidKat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-18 11:59:31 Reply

At 1/18/11 11:33 AM, 36Holla wrote:

Or maybe you can get off your ass and play AC Brotherhood and watch as I totally kill you in that game.

Please :P
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-18 12:27:20 Reply

I haven't even played FFXIII itself yet.

So... What happened to Versus XIII?

36Holla
36Holla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Filmmaker
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-18 12:49:05 Reply

At 1/18/11 11:59 AM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote:
At 1/18/11 11:33 AM, 36Holla wrote:
Or maybe you can get off your ass and play AC Brotherhood and watch as I totally kill you in that game.

Please :P

There's a good reason I haven't played that game and it's because I no longer have it. I will allow you to stab me through the eye, and slit my throat in spirit though.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature
Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-19 06:01:05 Reply

At 1/18/11 12:27 PM, Bahamut wrote: I haven't even played FFXIII itself yet.

Why haven't you got around to it? Don't you have a PS3 or XBOX?

I guess it's still in the making, but they're keeing it pretty quiet, cos all I can find of it is the same trailer that I saw over a year ago!

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-19 11:41:19 Reply

At 1/19/11 06:01 AM, Life-Stream wrote:
At 1/18/11 12:27 PM, Bahamut wrote: I haven't even played FFXIII itself yet.
Why haven't you got around to it? Don't you have a PS3 or XBOX?

I plan to borrow the one my sister's fiance has eventually. EVENTUALLY!

I guess it's still in the making, but they're keeing it pretty quiet, cos all I can find of it is the same trailer that I saw over a year ago!

The next Duke Nukem Forever, perhaps?

PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-21 17:40:57 Reply

Hey guys, I`m back from my trip to the US, and brought with me a PS3 along with FF 13 and FF IV and V for the GBA.
I`ve still got a lot of stuff before I can start playing, but I have a question that needs to be answered ASAP: is it better to keep the controller plugged to the console at all times or to only charge it when necessary? This is so that the battery doesn`t get too old too quick.

WallofYawn
WallofYawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-21 17:55:20 Reply

The controller will typically last as long as a tv remote, so as long as you aren't on your console for more than 4 hours a day, the thing shouldn't go dead for at least a few weeks.

PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-21 19:13:04 Reply

At 1/21/11 05:55 PM, WallofYawn wrote: The controller will typically last as long as a tv remote, so as long as you aren't on your console for more than 4 hours a day, the thing shouldn't go dead for at least a few weeks.

Whoa whoa whoa, are you serious? The thing doesn`t last for more than a month? And that`s if I don`t spend 4 hours a day playing?
But again, is there any difference between keeping the controller plugged into the console at all times and only plugging it when it`s battery is low?

Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-21 19:29:27 Reply

At 1/21/11 07:13 PM, portalwarpedJP wrote: But again, is there any difference between keeping the controller plugged into the console at all times and only plugging it when it`s battery is low?

I only charge mine when necessary. Maybe once every few weeks or so, when the PS3 tells me the battery is getting low. I dunno if it makes a difference in the long run, but I've had my PS for over a year now and the battery still lasts as long as new.

WallofYawn
WallofYawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-21 21:53:47 Reply

At 1/21/11 07:13 PM, portalwarpedJP wrote:
At 1/21/11 05:55 PM, WallofYawn wrote: The controller will typically last as long as a tv remote, so as long as you aren't on your console for more than 4 hours a day, the thing shouldn't go dead for at least a few weeks.
Whoa whoa whoa, are you serious? The thing doesn`t last for more than a month? And that`s if I don`t spend 4 hours a day playing?

No, that's if you spend MORE than 4 hours a day playing. Which isn't that crazy seeing as most people with a normal life don't play more than 4-5 hours a day anyway. If you play 4-5 hours a day, the thing should last you a month before you have to buy new batteries. Which isn't that bad, considering how cheap batteries are.

You can also buy a charger, which should make the controller last longer. I don't actually own a ps3, but it shouldn't be any different than the 360 controllers when it comes to battery life.

WallofYawn
WallofYawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-21 21:56:17 Reply

Notice I said every "few" weeks? Few = 4 or more, which is a month basically. That's plenty of time, to beat any game you own.

NGChattingAce
NGChattingAce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-27 20:01:46 Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiIx9VJWS l8&feature=channel

I dunno about you guys

But this trailer looks pretty slick to me

PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-28 17:02:12 Reply

So, for many reasons, I delayed XIII and started playing IV. To be honest, I'm sorta impressed at what Square could do even though that was 20 years ago. I also like the cavern and overworld music.
It doesn't seem too hard though.

PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-28 17:26:51 Reply

BY THE WAY, does any of you know where I can get VI for a relatively low price for the GBA? eBay is pricey as shit (the top sellers, that is). And is it the same as the one for the PS1/SNES, sans the extra stuff every one of them on the GBA got?
It's the last one I need to complete my collection...

NGChattingAce
NGChattingAce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-28 17:38:42 Reply

At 1/28/11 05:02 PM, portalwarpedJP wrote: So, for many reasons, I delayed XIII and started playing IV. To be honest, I'm sorta impressed at what Square could do even though that was 20 years ago. I also like the cavern and overworld music.
It doesn't seem too hard though.

IV was actually pretty hard for me compared to the other FF games I've played

Especially that bastard Cagnazzo

Might be the DS version but I doubt their is a huge difference between versions of the game.

Blaze-Heatnix
Blaze-Heatnix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-28 18:52:52 Reply

At 1/28/11 05:26 PM, portalwarpedJP wrote: BY THE WAY, does any of you know where I can get VI for a relatively low price for the GBA? eBay is pricey as shit (the top sellers, that is). And is it the same as the one for the PS1/SNES, sans the extra stuff every one of them on the GBA got?

VI on the GBA is shit. It has a different translation (A disgrace to the awesome original) and fucked up music.

It's the last one I need to complete my collection...

Collection of every main FF title or every FF title in existence?

PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-29 06:49:14 Reply

At 1/28/11 06:52 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: VI on the GBA is shit. It has a different translation (A disgrace to the awesome original) and fucked up music.

What do you mean by "fucked up music"? Anyway, do you think I should get the PS1 version instead?

Collection of every main FF title or every FF title in existence?

Main titles.

Also, in IV I went all the way where I get Yang and

SPOILER SPOILER

Baful is attacked. But when Yang speaks to the king again, his dialogue box goes all wacky and then none of the buttons worked anymore. So I reset the game, and what do I find out? That my last save was when I was about to fight the Octomammoth, thus losing 2 hours of my life. And to top it with a cherry, the cartridge simply decided to stay STUCK in the GBA. It took me a minute to take it out but it was like it was telling me to go fuck myself. I hate my life.

P.S.: Does anyone find the encounter rate in the caverns too high? I take a few steps and I'm in another battle.
P.S.S.: So, this is where "spoony bard" came from? Lmao.