New Topic Respond to this Topic
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-11-18 17:26:26 Reply

I actually liked the storyline of XIII mainly for the way Square managed to reinvent the way they told their stories.

A lot of people have complained about the JRPG tropes for years and XIII dared to be different and IMO I think they succeeded. I think the only fault of XIII was that it's story lent itself to linearity, which was a risky choice, and a few characters needed more meat to them.

PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-11-18 17:53:47 Reply

At 11/18/10 05:01 PM, Aigis wrote: It still was, to some degree, about 'uber graphics' at the time. Final Fantasys were still praised for being extremely beautiful back then as well.

yeah, VIII for example. it's FMVs are in the same level of quality as most PS2 graphics (excluding high-res ones, of course).

PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-11-18 18:47:49 Reply

i just got Tonberry, and i'm amazed at the abilities he can learn. Move-HP-Up? Sell High, Haggle, Call Shop and Familiar? how much more awesome can this get?
i'mma go slaughter a bunch of Cactuars for the AP.

PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-11-19 16:35:48 Reply

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
i've JUST reached the most EPIC moment in the game, where Squall is fighting the Paratrooper in the air, and when i save Rinoa and run to the left, the game froze. i tried again twice, and it still froze.
oh god, please don't tell me the disc isn't gonna work anymore.

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-11-19 17:54:57 Reply

Tonberrys call shop is endlessly useful in disc 4 and it can also hold rare shop information when you use the rare ability as well. The level down isn't that great unless you want to do island closest to hell and island closest to heaven easily, but it is nice to be able to increase the level of enemies to make you get more experience.

Bit of a spoiler warning
-
Btw when you get to an airship, Island closest to hell is the far eastern island of the trail of islands coming of the eastern continent high north, might be half spoiler but finding the island if you don't know where it is can be stupidly annoying. That island is the best spot for leveling but can hard. Just make sure not to level close to 100 yet.

At 11/19/10 04:35 PM, portalwarpedJP wrote: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
i've JUST reached the most EPIC moment in the game, where Squall is fighting the Paratrooper in the air, and when i save Rinoa and run to the left, the game froze. i tried again twice, and it still froze.

:(
Garden fight is just epic, that really sucks to break there, try cleaning the disk or something, hopefully it won't be completely broken.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, NekoMika's Legacy!

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-11-19 18:54:25 Reply

At 11/19/10 04:35 PM, portalwarpedJP wrote: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I've had a disc that stopped working around there too.
And another that broke when those Iguana's come to life in Deiling City.
And countless others in countless other places.
I've had too many copies of FFVIII over the years.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-11-20 17:16:03 Reply

alright, this may be a little outta nowhere, but does anyone else think that Seifer is a clone of Rufus?
this has been on my mind for some time....

Kisuke
Kisuke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Blank Slate
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-11-21 04:31:39 Reply

At 11/20/10 05:16 PM, portalwarpedJP wrote: alright, this may be a little outta nowhere, but does anyone else think that Seifer is a clone of Rufus?
this has been on my mind for some time....

I think they took some of Rufus' elements when they were designing Seifer. They do look similar at some angles but I doubt that they took Rufus and turned him into a Seifer clone.

[ King of Hearts: Domon Kasshu - Anime Club ] :: [ Final Fantasy Club ]
XBL / PSN - Voidist
Malice
is my Sword, Rage my Armour & Anger my Shield.

BBS Signature
PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-11-23 15:32:46 Reply

so, i've been replaying FFVII ever since VIII died on me, and this time i've done the Wutai quest. i just beat Rapps, and to be honest, he wasn't too hard. wanna know how i did it?
now i'm gonna spend the next ten minutes reorganizing my materia. ugh.

Sephiroth909
Sephiroth909
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-11-29 22:33:12 Reply

Sephiroth pwn's all, end of story, good bye. ;3

BBS Signature
PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-09 21:01:35 Reply

Phoenix Down!
I FINALLY got my FFVIII copy exchanged for one that works. Does anybody think it's stupid that your team is all "SQUALL RINOA IS GONNA DIE YOU HEARTLESS BASTARD!", when the whole Graden is taking a massive beating from Galbadia?

Blaze-Heatnix
Blaze-Heatnix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-09 21:59:18 Reply

At 12/9/10 09:01 PM, portalwarpedJP wrote: Phoenix Down!
I FINALLY got my FFVIII copy exchanged for one that works. Does anybody think it's stupid that your team is all "SQUALL RINOA IS GONNA DIE YOU HEARTLESS BASTARD!", when the whole Graden is taking a massive beating from Galbadia?

If you believe in the "Squall-is-dead" theory, that part actually makes sense, for being a dream anyway.

PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-12 09:03:28 Reply

At 12/9/10 09:59 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: If you believe in the "Squall-is-dead" theory, that part actually makes sense, for being a dream anyway.

Maybe, but let's put that theory aside for now.
I'm in....the middle of Disc 3, if I remember right. Y'know, when Squall starts to become a friend and starts caring about everyone.
I hate that because Squall looks like a psycho when he smiles.

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-12 21:26:30 Reply

He was trying to organise a battle at that point, it's not bad that he puts the lives of students and children first over some girl he wants to bone. And it's a turning point; he learns to trust his friends - awwww.

BBS Signature
Kisuke
Kisuke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Blank Slate
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-13 02:17:37 Reply

At 12/12/10 09:26 PM, Nev wrote: He was trying to organise a battle at that point, it's not bad that he puts the lives of students and children first over some girl he wants to bone.

Exactly. I remember my sister saying the opposite when she was playing it. I told her close to what you said.

I wonder if they'll ever do anything more with the VIII universe. I highly doubt it though but a revamp of the game with newer graphics would be interesting.

[ King of Hearts: Domon Kasshu - Anime Club ] :: [ Final Fantasy Club ]
XBL / PSN - Voidist
Malice
is my Sword, Rage my Armour & Anger my Shield.

BBS Signature
ShatterTheSky22
ShatterTheSky22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-13 02:32:36 Reply

At 12/13/10 02:17 AM, Kisuke wrote:
I wonder if they'll ever do anything more with the VIII universe. I highly doubt it though but a revamp of the game with newer graphics would be interesting.

Now that would be freaking awesome. VIII was probably my favorite after VII, and I haven't met a large number of people who actually enjoyed it; too much complaining about the junction system and such, which never really bothered me to a huge extent. I'm glad to see some discussion around it to be honest.

[TSR Audio]
Click the Banner To Visit My Music Page!
^__^

BBS Signature
PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-16 08:16:12 Reply

I beat FFVIII again.

SPOILEEEEEEEEEEEEEERS

And I still don't really like that clusterfuck ending. This time, I was actually able to see faceless Squall in the 1/8th of a second it showed up. It's creepier when you see it there.
I also beat Omega, that son of a bitch. Tonberry is incredibly awesome in this game <3

END SPOILERS

But this was two days ago. I already started X (I'm kinda on a marathon) and already defeated Gui.
Does anyone find this game a little too linear?

ShatterTheSky22
ShatterTheSky22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-16 10:23:29 Reply

At 12/16/10 08:16 AM, portalwarpedJP wrote:
But this was two days ago. I already started X (I'm kinda on a marathon) and already defeated Gui.

I feel like FFX was made with non-final fantasy fans in mind, to bring more people to the franchise. To me at least, its both easier and more linear. There's virtually nothing you can do outside the restraints of the plot until you're almost at the dead end.

[TSR Audio]
Click the Banner To Visit My Music Page!
^__^

BBS Signature
PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-16 12:14:04 Reply

Yeah, and the sidequests that you can do are few and either short and annoying or long and tiresome.
Yes, I'm looking at you, Monster Arena.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Audiophile
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-16 12:20:34 Reply

At 12/16/10 08:16 AM, portalwarpedJP wrote: But this was two days ago. I already started X (I'm kinda on a marathon) and already defeated Gui.

I feel the linear nature of FFX made sense. Your main focus is to go to Zanarkand traveling all the way from Besaid Island. It's a long journey to Zanarkand.

I hear FFXIII is even more linear than FFX. One of my friends claimed FFXIII isn't even hiding its linear nature. I'm usually not fussy if a game is linear or not, unless it feels too straight forward for what it is (e.g. Metroid Prime Hunters).

PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-16 17:19:52 Reply

I hope you guys don't mind, but I'm gonna rant here for a minute.
I. HATE. BLITZBALL.
I mean, it's so boring and repetitive after three or so matches. The enemy defenders/goalies always seem to get positive bonuses when they're tackling, blocking and grabbing the ball. The same for passes and shots. Theirs take ages to weaken.
But mine always get negative bonuses: most of the times, my defender with 10 AT can't stop someone with 7 EN, my goalie with 15 GC suffers a goal from a 8 SH ball 4/5ths of the time, and so on.
I also HATE how you have to spend 10,000 Gil just to have a decent team for one match because of how much the Aurochs suck.
And last, but not least, I hate the prizes. I don't really mind Jupiter Sigil and Wakka's overdrives, but Status and Aurochs Reels both suck, and the fact that I have to go through two League seasons to get them is almost like Square wanted to torture me. If they all were on Tournaments, it'd be okay. And the regular prizes you get suck major ass as well, with the best being a Dark Matter on a League season that I only saw once. But I would need 59 more of those if I were to use it on my weapons to Break Damage Limit.

/rant
Yeah, that's how much I hate it.

Blaze-Heatnix
Blaze-Heatnix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-16 18:05:09 Reply

At 12/16/10 05:19 PM, portalwarpedJP wrote: Yeah, that's how much I hate it.

Good luck getting Wakka's ultimate weapon then, if you actually care to do so. I hate Blitzball too. In fact, if it weren't for the story and soundtrack, I'd hate the whole game. But those 2 factors stand out to me as the best in the series, even next to FFVI. It's my third favorite FF, VII being my second and VI being my first.

Also, remember way back when I was chronicling my adventures through different FFs and I started IX? Well I quit. I don't know why really, especially when I was only 5 minutes into it, literally.

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-16 18:18:01 Reply

At 12/16/10 12:20 PM, Bahamut wrote: I hear FFXIII is even more linear than FFX. One of my friends claimed FFXIII isn't even hiding its linear nature. I'm usually not fussy if a game is linear or not, unless it feels too straight forward for what it is (e.g. Metroid Prime Hunters).

If FFX is linear then linear doesn't bother me at all. FFXIII is something different. At least in X you could wander around towns and do side quests and stuff. XIII is like the boring paths of X copy and pasted with all the actual fun parts completely ignored.

Apparently it changes after Chapter 11 but I got that far and stopped playing. Not out of protest, but I joined Lovefilm at that point and they've been supplying me with games for months now. It's coming up in my mind more and more now so I reckon I'll get on with it in the coming weeks.

BBS Signature
PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-16 18:53:36 Reply

At 12/16/10 06:05 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: But those 2 factors stand out to me as the best in the series, even next to FFVI. It's my third favorite FF, VII being my second and VI being my first.

I'll have to disagree with the soundtrack part, but the story was indeed brilliant. You're also probably the first person to say that VI is your favorite. Everyone else seems to think of it as the second best for some reason.

Also, remember way back when I was chronicling my adventures through different FFs and I started IX? Well I quit. I don't know why really, especially when I was only 5 minutes into it, literally.

Chickening out on IX? Tsk tsk.

jk
MattTheParanoidKat
MattTheParanoidKat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-17 15:34:02 Reply

At 12/16/10 06:53 PM, portalwarpedJP wrote:
At 12/16/10 06:05 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: But those 2 factors stand out to me as the best in the series, even next to FFVI. It's my third favorite FF, VII being my second and VI being my first.
I'll have to disagree with the soundtrack part, but the story was indeed brilliant. You're also probably the first person to say that VI is your favorite. Everyone else seems to think of it as the second best for some reason.

Um, Hi, I am a massive whore for Final Fantasy VI, call Terra mai waifu, think Kefka is the best villian ever and my blog is called Dancing Mad I think I have professed my loved time and time again for VI.

PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-17 15:44:21 Reply

At 12/17/10 03:34 PM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote: Um, Hi, I am a massive whore for Final Fantasy VI, call Terra mai waifu, think Kefka is the best villian ever and my blog is called Dancing Mad I think I have professed my loved time and time again for VI.

Oops, sorry. There's you as well. My bad.
In other news, I think I'm overleveled in the Thunder Plains. This is because I forgot some treasures and looked everywhere for them, and it took me one hour to find them. What abilities you guys think you had by this point?

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Audiophile
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-18 09:46:10 Reply

At 12/16/10 06:05 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: Also, remember way back when I was chronicling my adventures through different FFs and I started IX? Well I quit. I don't know why really, especially when I was only 5 minutes into it, literally.

I think a break was what you needed. Give it another try when you've recharged your batteries.

At 12/16/10 06:18 PM, Nev wrote: Apparently it changes after Chapter 11 but I got that far and stopped playing.

I keep hearing FFXIII gets good at a certain point. That doesn't sound good if the first half or whatever is bad. However, I can only decide all of this myself whenever I play the damn game and considering it doesn't quite meet its expectations, I can easily let it wait. For PS3 games, I'd rather prioritise Uncharted 1 and 2 and Assassin's Creed II over FFXIII.

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2010-12-18 15:17:04 Reply

At 12/18/10 09:46 AM, Bahamut wrote: I keep hearing FFXIII gets good at a certain point. That doesn't sound good if the first half or whatever is bad. However, I can only decide all of this myself whenever I play the damn game and considering it doesn't quite meet its expectations, I can easily let it wait. For PS3 games, I'd rather prioritise Uncharted 1 and 2 and Assassin's Creed II over FFXIII.

I will still stand by my firm belief that FFXIII is one of the best games in the series.

The reason people say it doesn't get good until a certain point is because the first half of the game or so is entirely linear, but at least it makes sense and isn't the result of laziness. I for one had no issue with the linearity because at the very least the locales, and characters were switched up often enough to keep it interesting.

Another point people like to bring up is the cast. Without spoiling anything I can say that the majority of the cast is actually quite good. I think this time their design is more focused on their personalities rather than some kind of outlandish character design that has merit only in how weird or cool it looks. Again, I think the characters all make sense in the story and aside from a few they are all good in their own right.

Story wise I again assert that FFXIII is better than it is given credit for, it dares to do things differently in an age where most people are fine with recycling and reusing.

So yeah, don't come into this expecting the FF you've come to know and love, but instead as a game that stands alone in its own right as something of high quality and character.

Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-18 09:05:59 Reply

So they're making FFXIII-2. I hope they put more effort into it than they did X-2. I'll get this for sure, even though It's nearly 2 years away. I really enjoyed XIII, so actually look forward to this. But....we still haven't heard or seen much more about XIII Agito and Versus :/

Final Fantasy Club

Syztm
Syztm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Final Fantasy Club 2011-01-18 09:19:57 Reply

Why does the logo only show Lightning and Fang? Let's hope they don't go all Charlie's Angels again, that would seriously suck.

New tune: Yag