Be a Supporter!

For a beginner...

  • 1,203 Views
  • 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
G9
G9
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
For a beginner... Mar. 27th, 2006 @ 07:33 PM Reply

I'm wondering... what are good music composition programs for beginners that aren't just loops? Is Guitar Pro 5 good?

Additionally, what's the best of these: Adobe Audition, Cubase, or Reason?

pitbulljones
pitbulljones
  • Member since: Mar. 12, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to For a beginner... Mar. 27th, 2006 @ 07:52 PM Reply

em not too sure about composition,

but ur other question, i'd ignore audition.

then it's deciding how u want to make ur music, cubase is a trad seqencer, use of samples and midi, loads of vst's. it's viewed as more 'pro' than Reason but thats debateable, Reason on the uva hand is a one stop shop wen it comes to making music, loads of presets and so on great loops but it cant record audio directly vo u can import ur auido into it.

They both hav there various merits, it all depends on how u urself actually make music and what style of music u do.


Sunday Morning & Find Your Place
My Soundcloud My Youtube
If you like my music leave a review, message me for a review. My music's free to use just credit me!

BBS Signature
JesusSaves
JesusSaves
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to For a beginner... Mar. 27th, 2006 @ 08:13 PM Reply

GP5 is the shit. It's what I personally use.

DavidOrr
DavidOrr
  • Member since: Oct. 22, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Musician
Response to For a beginner... Mar. 27th, 2006 @ 08:33 PM Reply

At 3/27/06 07:33 PM, G9 wrote: I'm wondering... what are good music composition programs for beginners that aren't just loops? Is Guitar Pro 5 good?

Additionally, what's the best of these: Adobe Audition, Cubase, or Reason?

If you are into actual live recording, Cubase works pretty well. Granted, I only have the LE version but it's a powerful piece of software.


BBS Signature
G9
G9
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to For a beginner... Mar. 28th, 2006 @ 12:05 AM Reply

Well, let's see... I know I'm going to start out with GuitarPro5.

I'm not seeing your point as to "what kind of music" I will be making. Forgive me for my lack of understanding, but I am new to this.

MrRaven
MrRaven
  • Member since: Nov. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to For a beginner... Mar. 28th, 2006 @ 02:48 AM Reply

Best advice i can give is to try them all and see what your comfortable with, it takes a while but you learn alot just by messing around with the programs and so on.

you can record into Reason, but it's only midi, as in keyboards. All it does is paste the notes onto the matrix. I use Reason mainly and logic 7 for my recording.

Theres no point in not trying.

pitbulljones
pitbulljones
  • Member since: Mar. 12, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to For a beginner... Mar. 28th, 2006 @ 08:09 AM Reply

yep thats a thing as well, are u using a pc or a mac, as the dude above said he's using logic 7, a fantastic programme but it's only avaible on the mac. u can get an older version for the pc.

I do agree ur better trying out as many programmes as is possible, pick up demo's off websites, such as fruityloops, cakewalk sonar, even tracktion.

With regards to what sort of music you want to make, are u gonna be doin rock, using a lot of guitars and so on, or are u more inclined to electronica, such as drum n bass, trance etc. If ur more a guitars lad, then it's cubase, but electronica is more suited to reason as it's midi controlled, u'll need a basic understanding of a keyboard, plus midi etiquette but u'll leanr on the way....i did.

I'm more inclined to cubase, always have, always will be, ifind it's style of working simplistic and effective it's a powerful programme n i've been with it since i were 17, so nearly 6 yrs now, n im still learning stuff about it. but everyone has a different approach so it may not neccessaryily be the right rpogramme for u.

anyways go try sum demo's out, see what u like, then go purchase a copy.


Sunday Morning & Find Your Place
My Soundcloud My Youtube
If you like my music leave a review, message me for a review. My music's free to use just credit me!

BBS Signature
G9
G9
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to For a beginner... Mar. 28th, 2006 @ 06:43 PM Reply

So... if I want to get into Industrial?

pitbulljones
pitbulljones
  • Member since: Mar. 12, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to For a beginner... Mar. 28th, 2006 @ 07:01 PM Reply

reason


Sunday Morning & Find Your Place
My Soundcloud My Youtube
If you like my music leave a review, message me for a review. My music's free to use just credit me!

BBS Signature
BLACKNOISE
BLACKNOISE
  • Member since: Aug. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to For a beginner... Mar. 28th, 2006 @ 07:12 PM Reply

At 3/28/06 06:43 PM, G9 wrote: So... if I want to get into Industrial?

Any music program that you know how to work with can make any genre.
Just depends on how much you know about the genre, and how much time you wanna spend on it.


I'm Zenon. Stop giving me those weird looks when I have a different name :'(
And I'm submitting music on THIS account now! Check it out instead of on "ZENON" :O

BBS Signature
Erkie
Erkie
  • Member since: Jul. 16, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Musician
Response to For a beginner... Mar. 29th, 2006 @ 03:46 PM Reply

At 3/28/06 07:01 PM, pitters wrote: reason

A link would make this post so much more useful.

em not too sure about composition
I'm not seeing your point as to "what kind of music" I will be making.
So... if I want to get into Industrial?

Users like Edgen and Xgm-Zeth use Reason, they just have large orchestra sample libraries. Which goes to show that you can make ANY type of music with ANY type of software, it just depends on what you get your hands on instrument wise.

Any music program that you know how to work with can make any genre.

Zenon > You


Report Songs|Submit Ideas|How Erkie reviews|
94% of posts made in AF since 2005

BBS Signature
Cajete
Cajete
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to For a beginner... Mar. 30th, 2006 @ 03:30 AM Reply

At 3/28/06 07:01 PM, pitters wrote: reason

ROFL... Your gunna give him a Heart Attack... lmao...


BBS Signature
DavidOrr
DavidOrr
  • Member since: Oct. 22, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Musician
Response to For a beginner... Mar. 30th, 2006 @ 07:15 AM Reply

At 3/29/06 03:46 PM, Erkie wrote:
At 3/28/06 07:01 PM, pitters wrote: reason
A link would make this post so much more useful.

em not too sure about composition
I'm not seeing your point as to "what kind of music" I will be making.
So... if I want to get into Industrial?
Users like Edgen and Xgm-Zeth use Reason,

Are you sure Edgen uses reason? I would think that by now where he is he would have switched over to somthing like Finale or Sibelius...


BBS Signature
G9
G9
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to For a beginner... Mar. 30th, 2006 @ 06:05 PM Reply

At 3/29/06 03:46 PM, Erkie wrote: ... it just depends on what you get your hands on instrument wise.

Any music program that you know how to work with can make any genre.
Zenon > You

Okay... instrument-wise as in physical instruments, like a keyboard? Not just digital software?

pitbulljones
pitbulljones
  • Member since: Mar. 12, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to For a beginner... Mar. 31st, 2006 @ 01:40 PM Reply

rite u'll need a tascam us-122 as it's a decent sundcard that supports midi and audio and is relatively cheap

A Korg microkontrol again cheap for what it does

a copy of reason

a decent editing package such as soundforge or wavelab

plus as many plugins u can get ur hands on such as crystal thats free btw.

i hope this helps, if anyone else has mre advice then plz help out

anywayz gud luck and wen u hav sum songs made let me know so i can listen


Sunday Morning & Find Your Place
My Soundcloud My Youtube
If you like my music leave a review, message me for a review. My music's free to use just credit me!

BBS Signature
curiousidiot
curiousidiot
  • Member since: Mar. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to For a beginner... Mar. 31st, 2006 @ 09:50 PM Reply

this has helped me alot execpt i got no money =(

PERVOK
PERVOK
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to For a beginner... Mar. 31st, 2006 @ 10:09 PM Reply

At 3/29/06 03:46 PM, Erkie wrote: Zenon > You

I swear that you have something against my alt account.

Don't worry, I do too.

And, to the topic starter...
Just do some research, learn about industrial (if thats what you want) and then get trial versions of FL or Reason (or any other program you wanna try) and see which you wanna use, then use it.

DavidOrr
DavidOrr
  • Member since: Oct. 22, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Musician
Response to For a beginner... Mar. 31st, 2006 @ 10:13 PM Reply

At 3/31/06 01:40 PM, pitters wrote:
A Korg microkontrol again cheap for what it does

I want one of those soo badly.


BBS Signature
G9
G9
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to For a beginner... Apr. 1st, 2006 @ 01:06 PM Reply

Just as a question... will Reason be very hard to learn? It seems that the general consensus is that Reason is the best for electronica/industrial.

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Member since: Oct. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to For a beginner... Apr. 1st, 2006 @ 01:56 PM Reply

At 4/1/06 01:06 PM, G9 wrote: Just as a question... will Reason be very hard to learn? It seems that the general consensus is that Reason is the best for electronica/industrial.

i thought reason was an easy program to learn. u get good visual over the rack and how connections are made and stuff. It has an OK sequencer, and OK effects and synth´s and stuff. Using reason makes u limited to what it has to offer, therefore u "must" learn whats in there, wich is a pro in many cases.


Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

G9
G9
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to For a beginner... Apr. 2nd, 2006 @ 12:10 PM Reply

Okay, I have another question. If you get Reason, do you need Guitar Pro 5? Or are the two very different programs for different purposes?

Khuskan
Khuskan
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to For a beginner... Apr. 2nd, 2006 @ 12:19 PM Reply

Both very different. Guitar pro 5 is for.. guitars and reason. Well reason just isn't.

G9
G9
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to For a beginner... Apr. 2nd, 2006 @ 03:36 PM Reply

Basically, Reason would be better for Industrial, Techno, and all Electronica, while Guitar Pro would be better for general rock?

G9
G9
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to For a beginner... Apr. 2nd, 2006 @ 05:03 PM Reply

As it seems that I can't edit my post, I apologize for the double post:

How's Reason for cutting, pasting, etc... tracks?

pitbulljones
pitbulljones
  • Member since: Mar. 12, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to For a beginner... Apr. 3rd, 2006 @ 12:21 PM Reply

At 4/2/06 05:03 PM, G9 wrote: As it seems that I can't edit my post, I apologize for the double post:

How's Reason for cutting, pasting, etc... tracks?

get urself a deom off of a site or buy a computrer musixc mag that has one in it, thats the only way u can decide, our own opinions may help but you can't beat first hand experience


Sunday Morning & Find Your Place
My Soundcloud My Youtube
If you like my music leave a review, message me for a review. My music's free to use just credit me!

BBS Signature
G9
G9
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to For a beginner... Apr. 3rd, 2006 @ 06:53 PM Reply

Good advice.

I'd also like to know if there are some good books out there on Reason. I've set my mind on getting Reason, but would like to train myself with a book and the demo before actually purchasing it.

pitbulljones
pitbulljones
  • Member since: Mar. 12, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to For a beginner... Apr. 4th, 2006 @ 07:36 AM Reply

here


Sunday Morning & Find Your Place
My Soundcloud My Youtube
If you like my music leave a review, message me for a review. My music's free to use just credit me!

BBS Signature
Mr-Mystezi
Mr-Mystezi
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to For a beginner... Apr. 4th, 2006 @ 07:40 AM Reply

hey...thnk it is a great help to me!

pitbulljones
pitbulljones
  • Member since: Mar. 12, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to For a beginner... Apr. 4th, 2006 @ 08:35 AM Reply

im glad to be of service for you's now to be a lil blunt here now, if you need help finding summat or a lil advice as to how summat is, why don't you try.......google

Thats what i did to get the info for you's and it took all of five minutes of my life, oh shit.....five minutes. i could have had a wank in that time.


Sunday Morning & Find Your Place
My Soundcloud My Youtube
If you like my music leave a review, message me for a review. My music's free to use just credit me!

BBS Signature
NemesisTheory
NemesisTheory
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Audiophile
Response to For a beginner... Apr. 4th, 2006 @ 05:47 PM Reply

Personally I'd recommend FL Studio. Only because I love the piano roll so much. :P
But seriously, it's a great program that can do whatever you want. I'm basing that off of my experiences anyway, so far it's been able to do what I want with it.

The only drawback is (but I assume this goes for every composition program) is you'll have to find most of the good instruments yourself; in my case it was a bunch of VST's and soundfonts.

Anyway, it's a really to use program once you get the hang of it (shouldn't take long), and really rewarding in the end.

I've also tried Reason, but it confused the snot out of me. I can't work with it's sequencer, it feels really weird. But that's probably just me; as the stuff I've heard others make with it sometimes seriously blows me away, so I must be missing something. :)

So I recommend FL Studio and Reason, two programs that probably won't fail you!
Good luck.


BBS Signature