00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kingkavvvv just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

P-Bot, Ratings, etc.

15,681 Views | 62 Replies
Respond to this Topic

P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 15:19:14

Here it is, my first post-P-Bot post! I believe it will be appearing below P-Bot.

There are a lot of questions right now, so I'll try to address them.

1) P-BOT! No, the frontpage will not be littered with P-Bot posts. We have set it up so when P-Bot makes a new daily post, it overwrites the old one on the frontpage. This way, he only has one post up at a time. You can still view his previous posts via the BBS archive (there has never been a way to view previous top lists before, so this is a great addition).

The one downside with P-Bot is that he comes between the top of the page and our regular news - but we're hoping users will adjust and not forget us down here. Having P-Bot allows us to present a lot more information than was possible with the small "Top 5" box in the left column (which will soon be gone). Now we can provide expanded info and extra goodies. P-Bot may get smarter and more interesting as time goes on!

The best thing, of course, is that users can now respond to the daily top five list, which is always fun.

2) RATINGS SYSTEM. This has been a BIG addition to NG, and LilJim put a lot of work into it. When authors now submit content, they click checkboxes that provide specific details about the content. Based on those checkboxes, a rating is assigned.

We will soon have some extra tools that allow users to influence ratings - most likely via your reviews. If we follow the current plan, when you review a submission you will also have the option of recommending a rating for it. If a submission has a bulk of recommendations that differ from the established rating, it will potentially be updated. All this is in the works. :)

As for the existing submissions - a lot of users have been asking, "How did you assign ratings to over 13,000 existing submissions?! And you didn't do a very good job, btw".

Well, we did the best we can, dammit! Basically, we have always had a list of "descriptive terms" that users can fill in when they submit a movie. Most authors have filled them in, while others ignored them.

Some of the terms included "nudity", "violence", "cursing" and "drugs", so we performed a broad database sweep and converted those checkboxes to our new system.

It isn't perfect, but it is a start. Expect old submissions to be updated over time. The main point is that we now have the system in place, so some day when NG is showcasing 200,000 submissions, MOST of them will be properly rated.

Comments? Recommendations?

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 15:56:30

I like this new idea; now the top five are easily accessible. However, the information is all a bit cluttered. Is there no other way of displaying the info rather than that rather boring long lists of plain text? We're NG users, we don't like having to read things! Also, when the P-Bot updates, does he send out e-mails to everyone? I got an e-mail from him today, I'm just wondering how often this will occur. Finally, waht does the P stand for?

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 16:12:43

P-Bot? Is that the best we could come up with? How about taking a poll and letting the users decide what he should be called.

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 16:12:49

yeah, this is a good idea. p-bot is ok. i like how it gives like the best submissions of the week too. that is a good addition to the site. im looking foreward to the future additions.

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 16:13:19

i love all these new features, it's great, there's something new each week

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 16:27:27

I think the P-Bot is a good idea, but think it might help if you changed the background color of P-Bot's posts and make make it a little smaller. Then people wouldn't forget you guys (if anyone does). Just a suggestion.

Oh, I also really like the new rating system. Honestly I don't understand the criticism at all. What tragedy could *really* come from them? I think people just like to complain.

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 16:29:44

THE FALLOWING PIC HAS NOTHING TO WIT P-BOT BUT WHIT WADE....

P-Bot, Ratings, etc.

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 16:30:14

It takes up alot of room...

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 16:33:50

there is a lot of wade

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 16:41:15

Alot Of Useless Wade..Anywho, People Who Say Shit About The Rating System Sucks. If You Don't Think They Did A Good Job, Who The Fuck Cares? The Author Can Change It Whenever He Wants Within A Few Simple Clicks...

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 16:42:42

And Where Did Our Batting Averages In Our Profile Go? I Miss Them..

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 16:54:27

Fucking p-bot, who the fuck is p-bot and why does he have a profile? Will he be blamming in the future, and if he is, shouldn't he be busy figuring out how to NOT TAKE UP THE WHOLE FRONT PAGE WITH REDUNDANT INFORMATION!!!!!! If all you want is for us to comment on the daily top 5, put a little link below them saying "Place a comment." Anyway all these upgrades kick ass, I hope you're having fun, and if at any time you plan on stopping these great new grounds, notify me! I'll be there with money and a rifle, one way or another, Newgrounds isn't going anywhere!!!!!!!

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 17:03:19

I was already getting the Top Five in my e-mail, but it's a good idea to have it on the front page.

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 17:06:04

1: I've got a feeling this rating system will do about as much bad as good...because quite alot of users want blood gore and violence so if they read this and notice there is no violence or hot anime chicks then they will just review it saying its crap without even watching the movie!
2: How do we know P-bot (silly name ^_^ ..why not call him roybot) isn't a 13 year old boy like it says in his profile?

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 17:11:23

Ummm i donno about deleteding the top 5 on the left...i mean its good on the posts but it looks more accesable and just better on the side. although its good you get a lot of info about the movie so i spoze that is good

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 17:40:39

FUCK P-BOT!

I HATE P-BOT ALREADY EVEN THOUGH ITS HIS FIRST DAY ON THE JOB.
HATE HIM HATE HIM HATE HIM! USUALLY I WRITE MORE INTELLIGENTLY WRITTEN STUFF BUT SEEING P-BOT'S POST FIRST THING WHEN I GET ON NEWGROUNDS IS AS BAD AS SPAM. FUCK P-BOT. HE SHOULD BE RENAMED PEE-BOT.

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 18:00:28

Yeah also.... i love all the updates you are doing to the portal....but There should be updates to the bbs as well. like every few days you guys have a great update...how about the next one being bbs orientated. there are tonnes of loyal members in the bbs and they are on more than the people that just go to the portal... maybe even simply making the link to the bbs more prevalent...its an idea!

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 18:25:46

At 1/15/03 04:41 PM, Fizzo wrote: People Who Say Shit About The Rating System Sucks. If You Don't Think They Did A Good Job, Who The Fuck Cares? The Author Can Change It Whenever He Wants Within A Few Simple Clicks...

I love the rating system.

Did you and wade pull an all nighter to rate these submissions?!

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 18:49:33

hm, i kinda didnt see tom's news post, p-bot takes up alot of space and didnt see tom's post...:-\

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 18:58:30

good to know you are finaly doing this

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 19:16:40

i think the fact that this is 3 hours old and only has 22 posts just about shows that people can't see it because of p bot..i like him but mayeb he could be on the side or something... i donno..

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 19:17:51

At 1/15/03 04:12 PM, sixteen97 wrote: P-Bot? Is that the best we could come up with? How about taking a poll and letting the users decide what he should be called.

P-Bot has been with NG for a very long time, since we started mailing out the Portal Top 5. Let's see, P, would could P stand for... He sends out the "P"ortal Top 5, hmm... PORTAL-BOT! Duh! :) Also if you checked his NG profile you'd see:

Sign-up Date: 7/20/00

So he's had a public profile that long! Should we rename Pico too while we're at it??

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 19:20:59

At 1/15/03 06:49 PM, tomokosasaki wrote: hm, i kinda didnt see tom's news post, p-bot takes up alot of space and didnt see tom's post...:-\

Like I said, the normal daily P-Bot posts will be smaller that the weekly one (today was a weekly update). I was also suggesting we have P-Bot alert users to recent News posts so they scroll down. Not sure how we'd handle that though.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 20:12:58

At 1/15/03 07:17 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
At 1/15/03 04:12 PM, sixteen97 wrote: P-Bot? Is that the best we could come up with? How about taking a poll and letting the users decide what he should be called.
P-Bot has been with NG for a very long time, since we started mailing out the Portal Top 5. Let's see, P, would could P stand for... He sends out the "P"ortal Top 5, hmm... PORTAL-BOT! Duh! :) Also if you checked his NG profile you'd see:

Sign-up Date: 7/20/00

So he's had a public profile that long! Should we rename Pico too while we're at it??

Thanks for the jaded response :\. Sorry to present such a ridiculous idea, I see now that it could never be done since he has been with newgrounds for so long. In spite of all the changes happening, this one thing must remain the same. Too bad there isn't some way in which to create a new bot... The "P" in p-bot stands for portal? I had no idea...that's because I'm obviously a complete idiot.

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 20:52:31

thsi site has became hella slow all of a sudden, and it's not because of my computer either. try to fix this problem.

P-Bot, Ratings, etc.

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 20:54:06

I HATE P-BOT ALREADY EVEN THOUGH ITS HIS FIRST DAY ON THE JOB.
HATE HIM HATE HIM HATE HIM! USUALLY I WRITE MORE INTELLIGENTLY WRITTEN STUFF BUT SEEING P-BOT'S POST FIRST THING WHEN I GET ON NEWGROUNDS IS AS BAD AS SPAM. FUCK P-BOT. HE SHOULD BE RENAMED PEE-BOT.

P-Bot, Ratings, etc.

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 21:04:13

Sounds okay with me.

P-Bot, Ratings, etc.

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 21:06:31

Stop doing other stuuf! Work on pico 2! Ahh, oh well, I do like this idea.

P-Bot, Ratings, etc.

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 21:08:57

Well tom, i think the bot is a good idea instead of you posting all the time it could like sends us e-mails of the dialy news the when could post on the front page with out ideas and other things....but it`s still a good idea

Response to P-Bot, Ratings, etc. 2003-01-15 21:15:05

damn, that must of been a lot of work for any one good job tom