00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

knehzoo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Melody Question

1,378 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Melody Question 2006-03-03 07:47:37

well...i keep thinking about this. for example if i have a song in D Major...do i only use the keys D,E,F#,G,A,B,C#,D? I only use those keys to make my melodies correct? thanks

Response to Melody Question 2006-03-03 07:55:12

Use whatever sounds awesome to your ears ;)

Response to Melody Question 2006-03-03 09:55:14

if you want the song to stay in d major then yes only use those keys. but since music is limitless you can make they key change whenever you want.

my youtube.

click it.

BBS Signature

Response to Melody Question 2006-03-03 18:24:19

At 3/3/06 07:55 AM, jarrydn wrote: Use whatever sounds awesome to your ears ;)

Nice way to put it :P

Book of Anima 22:32 " Do not profane my awesome name. I must be acknowledged as awesome by the Newgrounders. I am the LORD of music, who makes you awesome."

BBS Signature

Response to Melody Question 2006-03-03 19:10:50

The short answer: yes.

Like mhb said, if you want to make a melody that sounds traditionally acceptable and most pleasing to conservative musical ears, sticking to those notes will do that. All of the notes will "fit" with consonance if placed strategically in your song.

To make a song a little different and interesting, experiment with pushing the boundaries of those notes, using them as a loose framework.

To get a good grounding on the idea, visit MusicTheory.net -- an excellent resource.

<|> TritoneAngel <|>

<|> Visit TritoneAngel Audio for guitar-centric rock, metal, VG, jazz & classical songs.

<|> Newest TritoneAngel Audio: Clockwork (submitted 12/8/08)

BBS Signature

Response to Melody Question 2006-03-03 19:45:41

first off, there's no such thing as a "correct" melody. Listen to some eric whitacre; that kid is crazy. As for fail-proof melodies, i prefer blues scales. Anything played in them will sound cool.

D blues: D F G G# A C D

Response to Melody Question 2006-03-03 21:22:38

Don't rely on theory unless you absolutaley need to, like if your writing a solo or if your writing a pure piano piece. Go by feel, if it sounds good, do it.

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to Melody Question 2006-03-03 21:26:22

Thus far I've gotten by on 0 theory, and I don't intend on learning any time soon X-)

Response to Melody Question 2006-03-03 21:58:39

At 3/3/06 09:26 PM, jarrydn wrote: Thus far I've gotten by on 0 theory, and I don't intend on learning any time soon X-)

Meh, it works.

pervokative.bandcamp.com

Response to Melody Question 2006-03-03 22:25:16

At 3/3/06 09:22 PM, -ZENON- wrote: Don't rely on theory unless you absolutaley need to, like if your writing a solo or if your writing a pure piano piece. Go by feel, if it sounds good, do it.

I would respectfully disagree. To go on "feel" without knowledge is almost like relying on luck. The more konwledge you can acquire the better; then you can use that knowledge consciously or unconsciously... meaning your natural tendencies, or your "feel," will be that much more fluid and more enriched. Don't hate on the technical stuff - it can only help you in the long run.

<|> TritoneAngel <|>

<|> Visit TritoneAngel Audio for guitar-centric rock, metal, VG, jazz & classical songs.

BBS Signature

Response to Melody Question 2006-03-03 22:31:54

At 3/3/06 10:25 PM, TritoneAngel wrote:
At 3/3/06 09:22 PM, -ZENON- wrote: Don't rely on theory unless you absolutaley need to, like if your writing a solo or if your writing a pure piano piece. Go by feel, if it sounds good, do it.
I would respectfully disagree.

Ok.

Don't hate on the technical stuff - it can only help you in the long run.

That is true, but if a note sounds relaly fucking good with the song, but it is not theoretically correct (i dunno, it hasnt happened to me yet) i'd still keep it other than switching with a 'correct' note. Going by feel, what I meant isnt totally going on luck, its playing a note and knowing what should naturally go after it according to the songs structure.

But yeah, your right.

pervokative.bandcamp.com

Response to Melody Question 2006-03-03 22:39:07

Totally man -- we're on the same page; I wouldn't say to not play a note because it's not in line with theory (or to play one simply because it's in the scale, etc.) but rather that the more you know what is "supposed to" go somewhere, the more you can play with a listener's expectations by purposely playing off that. Definitely don't be a slave to theory, but rather know it and use it to your benefit... whether by following rules or by screwing with them. That way you can give your music more intention, more empowerment and more... uh... coolness.

<|> TritoneAngel <|>

BBS Signature

Response to Melody Question 2006-03-03 22:49:26

At 3/3/06 10:39 PM, TritoneAngel wrote: That way you can give your music more intention, more empowerment and more... uh... coolness.

You have earned yourself 1,000,000 respect points from Zenon, man.

Well said.

pervokative.bandcamp.com

Response to Melody Question 2006-03-03 23:30:45

Music is an art. There are theories that make it sound more pleasing. Sticking to those keys would definately help, or you could use the blues scales, or dilodian scale. There are several different modes. You can even make ur own mode up, become your own man. Theory helps out alot, and basicly, even when you are not using theory to make compositions, when you look real hard, you can still apply theory to why that composition sounds good.

But when it all comes down to it, you want to go with what feels right sometimes. If you think outside of the box once in a while, you come up with something new and different, but not so different that it sounds horrible. Your music is what's in you. Find that.