LogicExiled
LogicExiled
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
A question about electronic drums.. Mar. 2nd, 2006 @ 09:51 PM Reply

Hey to all musicians,
I'm interested in making a hybrid kit and would love to buy an expensive electronic kit to mix in with my Pearl Export.. but I don't have room in the budget. What I'm questioning is: If I buy a cheap electronic kit, or even just a module for now and buy the triggers seperately, can I transfer my own sound effects into the module or is there no way to do that? Any response will be great. Thanks!

wat-u-smokin
wat-u-smokin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to A question about electronic drums.. Mar. 2nd, 2006 @ 11:31 PM Reply

yay! someone only i can relate to!

anyway, yes you can. the top two electronic kits on the market are Rolands and Yamaha. i suggest Yamaha because thats what i use and its more adaptable to foreign triggers. You can buy a module seperately and then use wires and triggers to run through to the module and listen from headphones. if your plannning on recording your set, then you need a USB cable from your module to the computer. from there you need a MIDI recording program. from the module you can do this: set volume, sensetivity, sound, pitch, output, and other cool things. Hell, you can make your snare drum your cymbal (i dont recomend this though due to screwing you up!) Electric sets in general are EXPENSIVE. they all go by a basic principle too: pad size. The bigger your pad size then the more expensive it will be. Look at it this way, its a lot easier to hit a big pad then a little one! Roland makes some NICE sets and they have a cool MESH head. The head gets more rebound and makes it very similar to a real head. (in other words its not a rubber pad!) To rap it all up, you need to research and have a spending limit. Full electric sets run from 700$ to 4500$. Big difference but it all depends on what you use it for.

Hope that helps!

LogicExiled
LogicExiled
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to A question about electronic drums.. Mar. 2nd, 2006 @ 11:34 PM Reply

Sorry, maybe I ddin't phrase what I wanted to ask correctly.
Most modules come with pre-programmed sounds, right?
Is there any way that I can put my own sounds INTO the module? I'd be using them for a recording as well as a live show so I couldn't run it through a computer. I'm looking to transfer my own sounds into the module so I can pick that setup on it and have them triggered on the pads. Is that better explained?

wat-u-smokin
wat-u-smokin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to A question about electronic drums.. Mar. 2nd, 2006 @ 11:36 PM Reply

Module's use pre-made sounds yes, you can hook up your drums to them and i'll check my module to see if there is an importing port.

wat-u-smokin
wat-u-smokin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to A question about electronic drums.. Mar. 2nd, 2006 @ 11:40 PM Reply

you can add sounds from anything (i think) and they go in from midi, input, and soundcard. you can import youre own sounds into it and im not really sure of the stability of the module if you add sounds from a not "user friendly" system. Drum machines and turn tables are good.

LogicExiled
LogicExiled
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to A question about electronic drums.. Mar. 3rd, 2006 @ 01:51 AM Reply

Thanks a lot. I'll start working again (hopefully at a higher paying job) and I'll look at some modules. I'll run it by you to get your input. Thanks again.