00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

orafice13 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Vote, Vote, Vote!

17,221 Views | 135 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-02 19:55:22

At 3/2/06 07:46 PM, -Shadic- wrote: What if someone is on vacation? That would cause confusion.

I see what you mean, but if it really meant that much to them they'd find a hot spot to put in their two cents. And if they don't, then hell, it's only a one-time ban. But to avoid confusion, maybe the rules for those who vote should be clearly stated?

Hell, I'm only here to make suggestions. It's James' job to make sure they work :)

Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drum...

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-02 20:20:15

At 3/2/06 07:42 PM, Back_Door_Baron wrote: Hey James, I just have a small suggestion that may or may not have been answered in the past. Forgive me if it's been addressed and I'm just too lazy to look for the answer...

There are many people not in the top active 2000 who would like to vote. At the same time, I'm sure there are plenty of users in the top active 2000 who can vote but don't (like myself many months). Is there any way to revoke the voting ability for such a person for a month to allow some of those not in the top active 2000 the ability to vote?

For instance, if I don't vote this month, why should I get the opportunity to vote next month? Clearly I don't appreciate this privelege when so many others would love to have it, so why should I always be given it when it could go to someone who wants it?

It would be nice to see what percentage of the top 2000 active users vote. If it's a fair amount, then my suggestion is moot. But if the number is small, say under 50%, then maybe we should consider this "one month voting ban" as incentive to vote, or at least a way to give other people the chance to give their input?

Hrm. Now that will be a REAL mind fuck for the people trying to get their heads around whether or not they're going to be able to vote. That said, I really do like that idea. My only quandry being with how it might be set up.

I suppose the fairest way would (if that sort of system were to be put in place) be if you missed a month, you wouldn't get to vote the next month. If you missed two months, you wouldn't get to vote for the next two months. Etc.

There are, however, a few issues I have with doing things that way...

The first of which, I've already noted (confusion amongst the ranks is already widespread).

Secondly, the monthly voting isn't intended to be a pressure issue - those who're high in the rankings and continue to get there are doing so off their own backs and precluding them from making future votes because they missed the boat one month makes me wonder whether people will vote just for the hell of it. They might feel rushed as a consequence of potentially losing their ability to post the following month, if they don't vote in time. 7 days (or 6, if you want to argue semantics) should be enough for time for those who want and are able to vote, to vote.

I'm sure there are other issues I could think of as well, but I'll leave it at that for now, since I'm tired.

The tough thing about all of this is that we already do get a great return on people who're eligible to vote, voting each month. There are other options to consider, when it comes to deciding on who votes and how that message is delivered to them, too. Couple of which I can think of are:

1. Increase the number of people being able to participate in the scheme and
2. Draw more awareness to the scheme for those who're eligible to vote (other than through front page posts, etc).

Definitely food for thought. Thanks for your suggestions. :)

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-02 20:49:39

Youve been doing agreat job on the psp pages Jim!!

Thumbs up!

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-02 21:12:18

Completley forgot to vote until now...

Anyway, here they are

Vote, Vote, Vote!

"Some kilometers SOUTH of Dublin, under more control of

the IRA, there is a vast farmland. I'm SUPER cereal"

BBS Signature

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-02 21:46:25

can anyone here help me? ive been trying to gain exp for 5 days now and i still havent got any... if i'm correct you gain exp from reviewing movies right??? if not please tell me how

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-02 21:49:58

you need to vote on flashes that are currently under judgement to gain exp. which are the flashes that are highlighted in gray in the flash portal.

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-02 21:59:35

Haha, jeez, so much competition this month. I have such a horrible anti-pardoy bias that I don't think any video game cartoons got my petty vote. I think I need to be won over or something.

(Speaking of "winning", good luck to y'all contestants)

-Swain

BBS Signature

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-02 22:01:22

i cant get the vote bar to show up to post a vote???

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-02 22:02:51

it says it will show up after submission is loaded but it isnt doing that

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-02 22:51:20

keep giving us update on the ds browser,when you get some new info about it

BBS Signature

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-03 00:41:02

At 3/2/06 09:12 PM, theabominablematt wrote: Completley forgot to vote until now...

Anyway, here they are

Sweet! I'll be sure to give you that BJ I promised you in the alleyway now.

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-03 00:43:45

At 3/2/06 10:02 PM, xxxpsychoxxx1 wrote: it says it will show up after submission is loaded but it isnt doing that

You have to wait a while. Also, it's not just the flash under judgment. Vote 0-5 on the left-hand bar in the window of any flash on five different flash, then deposite your points when it prompts you with a message saying so.

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-03 03:28:01

At 3/1/06 06:35 PM, liljim wrote: Just a quick reminder about the monthly voting - that's all open for those who're eligible to vote.

MAYBE I WILL!

I forgot to do the thing last month, so I guess I must now make ammends.

BBS Mod. PM with queries and complaints if you must.

LazyTV | Stuff White People Like

BBS Signature

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-03 10:07:12

O_o

s

Vote, Vote, Vote!

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-03 11:30:19

Somebody has to tell Opera to include flash support. I don't care if the cartridge has to stick out 8" to get enough memory to do it, just do it!

BBS Signature

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-03 12:00:34

At 3/3/06 10:07 AM, arab_freak wrote: O_o

s

Why the capital J? >:(

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-03 12:38:40

At 3/1/06 06:35 PM, liljim wrote: Just a quick reminder about the monthly voting - that's all open for those who're eligible to vote.

OK, thanks for fixing the bold problem from last time.

We've also got a few more things up our sleeves that might be released this next month or so, including potential updates for the PSP section and additional downloads and other niceties. More on that later.

Ooh, I wonder what these will be. More PSP stuff, heh, this'll encourage me to get the PSP even more. Anything else, I'll be looking forward to find out.

Oh, yeah - we're all aware that Nintendo are going to be releasing a web browser for the DS and I've been keeping a close eye on progress with regards to news on that matter.

Ah yes, the web browser for the DS. I'll be looking forward to that and any NG DS stuff if any of that comes up. :)

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-03 12:50:31

yay, internet thing for my DS, that is so COOL!!
I hope that Nintendo are going to do more internet things like that,
cause i want it for my gamecube

Vote, Vote, Vote!

Long Time Veteran of Sonic Crew (even though lots of you don't know it) and the Creator of Chao Club (which has died out, oh well). Yeah thats pretty much it.

BBS Signature

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-03 13:19:33

Actually, Revolution is supposedly going to have a web browser built in. It wouldn't surprise me, since that would a great app for the freehand controller.

BBS Signature

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-03 14:28:56

here is a cool game:
<a>http://www.freewebs.com/chamberescape2

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-03 14:35:31

At 3/2/06 07:33 PM, liljim wrote:
When the vote system was first released, users complained that those entries which came alphabetically were given some sort of advantage, since they're first on the list (which didn't come out true with any of the logic, given that many of the entries that won were those that began with the bottom of the alphabet). Wanting to please the crowd, the ordering was changed so that it's at random for each page invocation.

Hmm, well I guess that makes a kind of sense. It's really disappointing that people that people don't trust the other voters enough to complain like that. Anyone who has gotten to a top 2000 experience ranking really should care more about NG then just to vote for the first flashes he sees.

It's a real pain though, I have been here every day last month and have watched every flash that had achieved a 3.00 score and higher but even with that, I can't remember it all and the chaotic way it's listed makes trying to remember my favorites a real bother. Until I was reminded in this forum here I had forgotten about PrettyPrettyBangBang v.41 which is a game I liked and would have voted. Alphebetical order probably wouldn't have helped for that one but it would make it a tad easier.

As a compromise idea, why not list them in alphabetical order but have the starting point randomized? So instead of it always starting at "A" titled flashes it might start at "T" and when you refresh is begins at "M" that way nothing is assured to be at the top of the list but at the same time things are orderly enough to find the flashes you want more easily. Another idea. How about dividing the flashes into a games group and a movie group? That would make it easier to browse through what you want as well. I'm not saying divide the 10 award choices into 2 groups mind. That idea has been done to death. Just the listings. I am pretty sure I would have noticed PrettyPretty if I had had the opportunity to look around on a list that was solely listing games.

Yes. Read through my post history (and pay attention to the posts that have been made in the news forum) - your answer is there, somewhere.

Done, I went back 10 pages and the nearest I got to an answer was when you said that the point difference was similar to having it as first place gets 10 points, second get's 9th and so on.

I couldn't help but notice the huge red font you used to mention no editing will EVER be implemented while going back. Obviously that's a subject that comes up a lot. NG is like the only forum that I post where editing is not allowed. I just thought that it was something that was not gotten around to yet. Wierd. Don't you know that all the cool kids are allowing editing? :P I also found the small article on how to write emails to Wade interesting. Some stuff really should be stickied and then when the subject is brought up just provide a link so your not talking about it again and again.

Thank you for replying to my post.

Also thanks to Mr_CraZy77 who corrected the band name I was using. Lemon Demon. Got it now. I'd edit and correct my post but SOMEONE doesn't think being able to do that is a good idea. Heh!

PS. I had hopes that listing the reasoning behind making my choices in my last post would inspire some discussion on what's deserving or inspire others to do the same. Guess not. Oh well.

Collecting NG's undiscovered gems has been a hobby of mine since 2005. I am curently posting them on my blog.

Feel free to check them out and tell me what you think.

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-03 16:35:29

i hope they come out with the web browser my computer is gettin old

hello freinds im andy caldwell and im here with a message extreme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-03 16:43:09

At 3/3/06 02:35 PM, TomaO2 wrote:

As a compromise idea, why not list them in alphabetical order but have the starting point randomized? So instead of it always starting at "A" titled flashes it might start at "T" and when you refresh is begins at "M" that way nothing is assured to be at the top of the list but at the same time things are orderly enough to find the flashes you want more easily. Another idea. How about dividing the flashes into a games group and a movie group? That would make it easier to browse through what you want as well. I'm not saying divide the 10 award choices into 2 groups mind. That idea has been done to death. Just the listings. I am pretty sure I would have noticed PrettyPretty if I had had the opportunity to look around on a list that was solely listing games.

Meh. Maybe. I don't know, I'm not really keen on forcing users into thinking that they have to vote for five from each month and I think separating the lists would give that impression, even if they're able to vote for say, 8 movies and 2 games, if they wanted to.

Done, I went back 10 pages

Damn, sorry - I didn't realise it was that far back, otherwise I'd have just re-iterated what you found there.

I couldn't help but notice the huge red font you used to mention no editing will EVER be implemented while going back. Obviously that's a subject that comes up a lot. NG is like the only forum that I post where editing is not allowed. I just thought that it was something that was not gotten around to yet.

Yes, it does come up often and has done since the forums were first created. I'll explain it once more, briefly - the forums move fast enough as they are and not everyone is as well behaved as you are. Someone creates a thread that says, "Wade's a moron". Everyone replies with "no he's not." Within a few minutes, one thread can have as many as 20 replies, if not more. Now, the thread starter changes the original post to "Wade's cool" and none of the replies then make much sense, when in context. Other point being that a moderator might have caught the offending topic starter's message as it's written and banned the user for the comments... the user then goes whinging to Wade that he's been banned for posting a comment that "Wade's cool", when in fact those were not his original comments.

The suggestion has been put forward to allow a time limit in which the edit can be made, but in reality, that's impractical, too, given that again, the thread starter could be beaten to the mark by those replying. Then there's the problem with people like you, who are well behaved and want to edit a post to cover up a mistake - but like in your case, if you had gone back to correct your mistake about the band name, then the person who corrected you would have a post that looked out of place.

I use a couple of other forums where there are edit buttons and they work well, since the environment in which the message boards run are a lot more civilised and the people posting there are a lot less mischevious and there's little to no chance that the feature would ever be abused. Editing's fine for many forums, it just wouldn't work out on NG. It's easier just to post a follow up message if you feel you need to correct yourself.

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-03 17:06:22

i wish i could vote sigh

Be trendy, rebel.

Signature image since 2008, you're welcome

BBS Signature

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-03 17:13:43

cool

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-03 18:43:58

First of all, im not eligible to vote (but one day, one day i tell thee!). Secondly, some people are saying the psp is the minority shiznit that shouldn't be worked on until you finish everything that needs working on, personally i think you have the right idea in drawing more attention to a new and fresh section of the site so stick with that. And finally, can you give a bit more imformation out about these so called "tricks" up your sleeve?

BBS Signature

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-03 19:35:52

At 3/3/06 05:06 PM, giantpanda wrote: i wish i could vote sigh

Same here.

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-03 21:15:19

Its great Nintendo/Opera are releaseing a DS browser, and I am sure Newgrounds will support it ok.

I am skeptical DS Opera will support flash though :-/
Homebrew demostrated it can work at a pretty ok speed, allthough no one has ported Actionscript yet.
Still, I cant help thinking Opera will just be porting their browser, rather then looking at the limits of what can be done like homebrewers do.

Also, it needs a 10MB ram expansion in the GBA port apperently.
I really am skeptical you need 14MB just to effectively organise Jpegs and Text onto a page :-/
Just because pc web browsers are ram-heavy dosnt mean its impossible to do one in 4MB.
They would have to rewrite the code from scratch...maybe do a smart system that shrinks pictures on the fly to take up less ram ect...but it should be possible.
~sigh~

Oh well, I'll see what its like when its released, and then see what the homebrewers are upto ;)
Just a few weeks back a text-html browser was released on DSLinux, so we are getting there.

Rateoholic- my "review anything you can think of and it tries to correlate your tastes to other peoples" site. (-sigh- I need a better slogan....)

Or watch our reviewshow

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-03 22:18:51

At 3/3/06 04:43 PM, liljim wrote: no edit button evah

i see your point.

I still think there could be a way around those problems like

1. make the edit button "hidden" (in the grounds gold menu or something, so dumb people cant find it)
2. have edit bans where people who abuse it cant edit no mo
3. time limits for editing
4. have a "edited at __:__.__ time" with a link to an "edit history" which shows the original post then the new one
5. 1 edit per post (unless a mod edits it for you, to prevent edit history overload) or possibly edit flood control
6. people WILL quote the person if they make a wade sucks thing before they change it so that you can tell what they really wrote
7. XX post minimum to edit

there could be other safeguards

Response to Vote, Vote, Vote! 2006-03-04 03:23:44

how can i vote
wat do i have to do

BBS Signature