00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MagDeWarrior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Linux

663 Views | 15 Replies

Linux 2006-02-20 00:48:02

I was just wondering, what are the differences between the Linux OS and Windows? I was just talking with my friend, and he mentioned he uses Linux, and it occured to me I have never used, or seen for that matter, Linux.

"R.I.P. Gunther Hermann - 2002-2052

He wanted orange. The world gave him lemon-lime"

BBS Signature

Response to Linux 2006-02-20 00:49:27

It's not actually on topic, but is your name a reference to Morrowind's main enemy and his minions? 'Cause their names end with Ur too.

Response to Linux 2006-02-20 00:51:06

At 2/20/06 12:49 AM, Clever_Nickname wrote: It's not actually on topic, but is your name a reference to Morrowind's main enemy and his minions? 'Cause their names end with Ur too.

He he, Yeah. I know, I'm a nerd.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux 2006-02-20 00:59:38

yay!!!

morrowind rules. i just got it for 5 bucks and i am loving it.

linux is very similar to windows, there are just a few buzzwords and stuff to get used to

Response to Linux 2006-02-20 01:00:17

You got to be kidding me...

Someone has to teach this kiddo about open source >:\

Response to Linux 2006-02-20 01:02:32

At 2/20/06 01:00 AM, Ozcar wrote: You got to be kidding me...

Someone has to teach this kiddo about open source >:\

Sorry for asking a simple question. I would like to know, because of some recent problems, I am getting a new computer. I was asking to see if Linux perhaps was a better choice than windows.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux 2006-02-20 01:02:38

Linux is a faster cleaner system, but I personally think it sucks :). I don't play games, so I said Why use crappy windows when I can get a free system hat has NO VIRUSES etc. But it sucked went back to windows for a week, bought a Mac and I am forever on a Mac. No viruses, one came out last week but was easily crushed! Also it would make sense because I am into video editing.

Response to Linux 2006-02-20 01:04:10

oh christ I want to cluster all my computers together with linux.

Response to Linux 2006-02-20 01:06:47

At 2/20/06 01:02 AM, PF79 wrote:

:bought a Mac and I am forever on a Mac. No viruses, one came out last week but was easily crushed! Also it would make sense because I am into video editing.

Hmm............... Do I smell pr0n????

Hi.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux 2006-02-20 01:07:09

At 2/20/06 01:02 AM, PF79 wrote: Linux is a faster cleaner system, but I personally think it sucks :). I don't play games, so I said Why use crappy windows when I can get a free system hat has NO VIRUSES etc. But it sucked went back to windows for a week, bought a Mac and I am forever on a Mac. No viruses, one came out last week but was easily crushed! Also it would make sense because I am into video editing.

I have used a Mac myself, and I love the fairly simple layout and acessibility of the Mac OS, but it's not practical for me. Plus, it becomes an annoyance when all the familiar features of the windows GUI aren't on the Mac.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux 2006-02-20 01:12:41

At 2/20/06 01:00 AM, Ozcar wrote:

open source

haha wrong

anyways linux distrubutions are all different but i guess kde is about the same as windows and you can run a lot of good programs on it with modules. and wine can emulate a lot of windows progs

if youre interested maybe you should try out a live cd
http://www.livecdlist.com

Response to Linux 2006-02-20 01:16:32

At 2/20/06 01:02 AM, Delrith_Ur wrote: Sorry for asking a simple question. I would like to know, because of some recent problems, I am getting a new computer. I was asking to see if Linux perhaps was a better choice than windows.

Yes, Linux can be a really good option as a OS... It's even more stable than Windows, but it depends in what are you working...

My computer has both OS, Windows XP and Lindows... How much Lindows was? I got it for Free... That's one of the advantages of Open Source programs... It's not just 'free' it also means that you can edit it and personalizate as much as you want...

Response to Linux 2006-02-20 01:20:18

At 2/20/06 01:12 AM, rnts wrote:

anyways linux distrubutions are all different but i guess kde is about the same as windows and you can run a lot of good programs on it with modules. and wine can emulate a lot of windows progs

if youre interested maybe you should try out a live cd
http://www.livecdlist.com

Thanks for actually helping, I appreciate it. If it's TOO similar to windows, than I mostly likely won't make the switch, because there would be pretty much no reason to do so. Windows doesn't annoy me or anything, it's just there are some minor inconviniences to it. But it's not as if I'll be doing any "hardcore programming" on it, just work and leisure for the most part. Anyhow, thanks for your help.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux 2006-02-20 01:25:27

you also have to consider though that there are alot of differnt versions of linux. all can be personalized though. also, you can make your own patches for things if you want, without having to be forced to wait like with windows

Response to Linux 2006-02-20 01:27:14

At 2/20/06 01:25 AM, OMGWIGGLESGAIHENTAI wrote: you also have to consider though that there are alot of differnt versions of linux. all can be personalized though. also, you can make your own patches for things if you want, without having to be forced to wait like with windows

I see. I'll take that into consideration. Are there programmes to help you build your patches or what?

BBS Signature

Response to Linux 2006-02-20 01:28:28

If your starting out go with something like Ubuntu or Mandriva.