00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BoneMarr0w just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Big Brother is Watching

62,273 Views | 395 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 17:30:05

I am NOT giving a piece of shit a one for sympathy, or because I don't want to have my experience points taken away. Look most of it is shit. Any given profile has more blams than saves with a ratio of about 4:1. If i see, for instance, another fucking tricky the clown whips out his dick movie, I will vote 0. I don't care if the moron spent a month on it; it gets a 0. Votes are opinionated and should not be controlled. Only in extreme cases should this be done. So don't get mad at me for not wanting to see clown penis on my monitor.

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 17:30:43

I only vote 0 on A. Crap B. Site Advertisements like Ganguro Girl C. Clock Crew Crap D. Offencive/Idiodic junk

other than that I vote around 5 or 4,

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 17:34:15

why that the guy that votes 0 going to be banned and not the guy rhat vote 10 on every fucking games or movie.

this is not fair...

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 17:38:01

ABOUT TIME! I hate reading a review for a toon I really liked and then I see some one gave it a zero cause ,"it didn't load". Your the man tom.

P.S. I tried to email you by clicking your name in your profile and I wrote the message and everything but when I sent it, it said something FAILED.What the hell happened?

Big Brother is Watching

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 17:40:20

I guess it is impossible to come up with a perfect solution to notorious blammers. There always is the possibility that they simply do not like anything they see, but I doubt that. I guess you could always read their reviews in conjunction with their poor voting habits, but I guess that is too much work as well. I see a lot of reviews that say crap like, "You're one dumb homo because this movie sucks" or "DiE yOu FaGgOt, uR mOvIe SuCkZ sHiT!!!" Those are pathetic reviews even if you hated the movie. Whatever happened to constructive criticism? But I do like the idea for a separate "Kiddie Portal" for newbies.

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 17:43:12

I don't like this one bit. Most of the stuff that comes in through the portal is garbage anyways. Yes, voting zero on everything is wrong, but now I have to be worried that if I vote zero on something that one of the administrators liked or made, I'm going to get my hard earned experience blasted away like so much Tricky entries.

Censorship is baaaad.

Big Brother is Watching

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 17:43:29

At 1/9/03 05:30 PM, Demonic_Pengin wrote: I am NOT giving a piece of shit a one for sympathy, or because I don't want to have my experience points taken away. Look most of it is shit. Any given profile has more blams than saves with a ratio of about 4:1. If i see, for instance, another fucking tricky the clown whips out his dick movie, I will vote 0. I don't care if the moron spent a month on it; it gets a 0. Votes are opinionated and should not be controlled. Only in extreme cases should this be done. So don't get mad at me for not wanting to see clown penis on my monitor.

Bah! It was funny! THe only problem with Tricky the clown is that it just kept going and going. Other than that, it was no more worse than the dick image from Fight Club.

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 17:46:20

I agree, Tom. I hate those bastards who vote 0 on every single flash movie. Some movies DO deserve 0 but all you blammers use that excuse over and over again, yet you also vote 0 on quality entries. And usually blammers suck at flash!!! If you want proof, I updated a Flash short yesterday. Minutes later there were already like 15 movies above it. One of them was actually pretty funny and I voted 4 because of the quality in the humor department. But 3 minutes later or so there were only 3 movies above mine. Yes, some of the submissions were crappy but the one I rated 4 was also gone!!! Luckilly, mine wasn't but it's just to show all of you blammers that you can't act like assholes just so you can acummulate experience points and blam everything in the portal just because it amuses you!!! Some times you guys probably don't even watch it, for god's sake!!! Can't you understand people spend time and effort in those things? Sometimes they don't but usually they do. And resubmiting an unfairly blammed entry to the portal ain't honorable. Just because you guys are only in the internet doesn't mean you don't hurt actual people's feelings!!!

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 17:46:51

Well like most people here this new policy may affect me only becuse of the recent (or continueng) barage of crappy flash submissions. Sure I feel there are some people who vote straight down the zero path on every and all movies (regardless of watching them) but then there are the true fair and impartial judges (Like Myself) who view the movie first then respond with a vote and an ocasional review (when warented good/bad).
Most people will look at this new policy in discust becuse of not the voting habbits of the viewer, but moreover the EFFORT of the flash Director.

I propose the following:

1) if a flash artist (director/animator/programer what ever they want to call themselves) his/her batting average falls to a certain level they may not submit a movie till its approved by an admin or a group of "watchdogs" who will judge if this movie is worth being put up, or just more filler for the obituary page.

2) if a flash artist (see above) has an extreamly good rating (batting average) then he/she can submit freely their masterpieces.

Now, if this policy is put into place the blamers couldn't blam becuse all the movies are approved.

I know that people submit movies all the time and so you would need a few "watchdogs" all the time to review movies submitted at any given moment or they could be put in a hopper for the "WD's" to view and put in the portal.

My final thought:
Is newgrounds becoming a 'police state' on the net where everyone's actions and reactions are going to be restricted towards the views of the few in charge?

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 17:46:52

Hmmm, well if someone only votes on bad movies and never votes on good movies, could that be mistaken for a blam whore?

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 17:58:57

At 1/9/03 05:46 PM, Katanaman wrote:

And resubmiting an unfairly blammed entry to the portal ain't honorable. Just because you guys are only in the internet doesn't mean you don't hurt actual people's feelings!!!

What the hell kind of foreign baby-talk language was that?

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 17:59:52

I propose the following:

1) if a flash artist (director/animator/programer what ever they want to call themselves) his/her batting average falls to a certain level they may not submit a movie till its approved by an admin or a group of "watchdogs" who will judge if this movie is worth being put up, or just more filler for the obituary page.

2) if a flash artist (see above) has an extreamly good rating (batting average) then he/she can submit freely their masterpieces.

I don't like this idea. I want to see every movie that people submit without it being screened prior to submission, because some crappy movie are pretty funny and worth seeing, and because I like blam points.

There have recently been deluges of crappy films, but I always watch a movie before deciding on my vote, which is likely either to be a five, a four, or a zero (1,2,3 mean nothing to me. I want to ensure I get some kind of point for my vote, so I either blam or save a powerfully as I can). Regardless, people should be allowed to vote how they like, even if they are assholes.

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 18:00:04

but so much shit goes to the portal, i have to vote 0. :-\ i might aswell vote 0 if its crap, cos i get a blam point, u know? this is some ways a good idea, but other ways isnt.. :(

now i fear i'll get my points to 0 cos of it.... :'(

plz dont ban meeeeeeeee!

-michelle

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 18:01:19

At 1/9/03 04:22 PM, TomFulp wrote: We've noticed there are users who vote 0 on EVERY SINGLE movie...

that u tom, now i love newgrounds even more than i did.

Big Brother is Watching

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 18:03:27

At 1/9/03 06:01 PM, IamGod666 wrote:
At 1/9/03 04:22 PM, TomFulp wrote: We've noticed there are users who vote 0 on EVERY SINGLE movie...
that u tom, now i love newgrounds even more than i did.

*thank u

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 18:04:13

This is a bullshit call. If you are so fucking worried about movies getting blammed then why have the option at all. Why don't you just let people put any fucking crap movie on newgrounds that they want. Because at least 3/4 of the entries into the portal are crap. I love getting protects (I'm sure many of us do) there is no reason to vote 0 on a movie that is good. BUT, because some of us that watch the portal all day (while at work or whatever like me) see 3/4 crap come through and Blam it because it is a waste of space & time. We are going to get threatening e-mails and warnings about blamming because we are doing you a fucking faver and saving you server space for future GOOD entries. You know what. That is bullshit, just because a couple of n00b fucking stick artist are crying that they keep getting blammed. Tell them to learn how to make flash. If a movie is good it won't get blammed. Nuf said.

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 18:05:24

What the hell kind of foreign baby-talk language was that?

It's called English, dumbass. You find it childish? Ok, but ain't swearing too much childish too? Probably...

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 18:09:02

just wanted to quote beebo, cool it i don't really care if your grammmar is bad. Sorry didn't mean to offend you... have you ever seen beebo 2 anyway?

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 18:16:36

See? THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Good movies don't GET blammed! They get quoted! Like Beebo!

I'd wager that probably 85% of the time, if a movie gets blammed, they deserved it. As for the other 15%? Resubmit the film, or make it better.

"Hey Paul Hogan!"

"What do you want?"

"I want my goddamn sandawich."

"ARRRRRGGHHHHHH!!!"

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 18:17:47

I always thought something like this would happen sooner or later... Or that NG would get some super fancy-pants code that could only let you vote AFTER watching the movie.

I, like quite a few others, have blammed stuff without watching it. But, I go by at least a few guidelines, here's a few, which should seem like common sense, but anyway...

1) When something is below 20kb it's going to be blammed pretty much for sure.

2) If the person writing his movie description says something like 'this sucks, just blam it' or 'I hope you all enjoy the BLAM point', and occasionally from people that sound like idiots that say 'thiz iz my furst flahs'. That may sound somewhat hypocritical, considering I haven't submitted any *real* Flash in, but that's just the way I lean (Also, me 'n' Blue_Bomber_69 are working on a little Flash thing right now).

3) If it's on 'verge of death' I don't give it a second thought to BLAM it.

4) And, I'm slightly sadistic. Heh. But, among those major guidelines I also follow other things (Anything to do with the quickly exhausted Tricky Clown, etc).

I'm also pretty sure a lot of other people follow guide lines like that/similar to that when they vote.

I do watch stuff, and I do have protection points, so I know I'm pretty safe, but still. If I were to vote on only movies that broke those rules I'd be in a pile of shit. Even though the things I voted on were pretty much voted on fairly. I have a tendency to vote 5 or vote 0. I never really rated movies on a 5-point grading scale. In my mind I just think 'good' or 'bad'. I think it's possible many others do this, too.

I was also wondering if you were monitoring more than just the voting. Yeah, I know you have access to basically everything, but I was just wondering if you were factoring other things in. For example, the name, the description, if the user even viewed it, etc. 'Cause those would have a lot to do in verifying if they senselessly blam stuff. They may actually be voting fairly.

I also think a 'Wall(or Hall) of Shame' should be composed on the site, showing who all has been put back to level 1, and how insane their voting was. Plus, it gives all the E-Vil people a chance to find new people to make fun of! We just open up the Wall link, find out which idiots got in trouble, and make fun of them! Yeah, I guess I am kinda sadistic...

I'm kinda long-winded when it comes to replying to posts... Sorry. I hope this gives you a little insight on the thoughts of the blammers, Tom (Although you pretty already knew things like this...). I hope I helped or something...

Bye, you seckzi beasts.

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 18:18:01

just wanted to quote beebo, cool it i don't really care if your grammmar is bad. Sorry didn't mean to offend you... have you ever seen beebo 2 anyway?

Yeah, it's actually my favourite episode. Fabulous 999 made Paul Hogan hillarious in that episode.

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 18:19:13

i dont allways vote 0 i give fair votes too i will still be careful tho

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 18:20:18

Im kinda confused, i may have alot of blam points (well, kinda) but i dont only vote 0 on things.I only see it neccesary to vote a 5 or 0, because if the movie is good, 5, if not, 0. but say, on newgrounds (not me) that there is someone who only votes on ad movies, and votes fairly, they are responsible for blamming, but blamming bad movies. well, what im trying to say is, will they still go back to zero? because i dont really thing that it is to fair to be doing that, a good idea though.

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 18:21:00

Meh, I dont have anything to worry about, I vote fairly.

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 18:23:56

I say that people that have never made a movie and submited it should not be able to vote. Some people who have never made flash before vote 0 on anything that comes up because they do not know how much effort is needed to make a frame by frame movie. This would cut down on the buttheads that vote 0 on things they don't know about. I mean, most people will just go to download flash and then submit a dot that doesn't do anything to get to blam stuff again. But at least the major idiots would be removed from the voting system, so the people whovote will be the ones who know the difficulties of making flash. I am tired of spending days on a movie just to get it blammed by losers who don't know the efforts put into it.

Big Brother is Watching

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 18:26:21

Most of the time, when there is garbage I vote 1 because it is the matter that they tried. The only time I vote 0 is when it is just a POS! I do vote fairly on fairly good flashes.

Remember people do not bend over in a shower when big brother is around!

Big Brother is Watching

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 18:27:10

Oh, yeah. I was also wondering if the topic name came from the book '1984'. I just read it about a month ago, and noticed 'Big Brother' and couldn't help but think of that book.

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 18:34:45

At 1/9/03 06:23 PM, Open_sketchbook wrote: I say that people that have never made a movie and submited it should not be able to vote. Some people who have never made flash before vote 0 on anything that comes up because they do not know how much effort is needed to make a frame by frame movie. This would cut down on the buttheads that vote 0 on things they don't know about. I mean, most people will just go to download flash and then submit a dot that doesn't do anything to get to blam stuff again. But at least the major idiots would be removed from the voting system, so the people whovote will be the ones who know the difficulties of making flash. I am tired of spending days on a movie just to get it blammed by losers who don't know the efforts put into it.

Okay, this post is total bullshit.

Open_sketchbook, have you ever walked out of a movie that you thought was total and absolute crap? And have you ever seen a movie that you absolutely loved? Well, your opinions mean shit because odds are you have never participated in the production of a major motion picture.

But whats that you say? You are very knowledgable of movies and how they are made, so you opinions are valid? So is the same way as flash. Just because one has not submitted a movie does not mean you are ignorant on the subject.

If you'll check my profile, you'll see I have not submitted any movies. This is because I have tried to make movies and none are any good. I am AWARE that Flash is hard as balls to animate and produce movies. Even ones that suck.

I have seen quite possibly a thousand movies on this site. I'd say I am a fair and capable judge of which movies are good and which movies are bad. And I will BLAM the movies that are bad. Why? Because if a film sucks it shouldn't be on a website.

So take your "logic" and cram it! I have just as much right to judge movies as you do.

Big Brother is Watching

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 18:44:41

At 1/9/03 05:43 PM, Hang10Fett wrote:

Censorship is baaaad.

I've gotta sorta agree.. I dont really know the best solution though, but something does need to be done.

Response to Big Brother is Watching 2003-01-09 18:45:23

I must say you did a good job explaining, but alot of people have no clue how hard it is to make a movie. They have no clue how flash even works. I respect you for trying flash, and I implore you to continue making flash because you won't get better unless you try. Thank you for replying.