00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BoneMarr0w just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series.

5,960 Views | 146 Replies

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2006-01-02 13:35:27

At 1/2/06 01:34 PM, Cryptos_Painbringer wrote:
At 1/2/06 12:05 PM, ReconRebel wrote: also taking shots at LegendaryFrog.
And he calls him Joseph 'Blanch' for some reason.

Ohh, a grammer nazi enters the field

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2006-01-02 13:39:34

Do you even have any clue what I've been saying? Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean nothing's being said.

Let's review, shall we? You asked us, at first, if you were the only one who didn't like this series. It is apparent that the answer is yes; therefor, you have been overruled by the opinions of others. For that matter, you've been a douche and nobody cares.

Newgrounds is probably the most gayest thing I ever heard of.

BBS Signature

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2006-01-02 13:41:00

Please kid, look up anthropomorphism in the dictionary and come back to me and tell me that they have no plot because not a word is spoken.

His use of animation to express the emotion of his characters is all he needs.

Minds shall break and bring a bright sky.

BBS Signature

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2006-01-02 13:42:16

At 1/2/06 01:35 PM, ShadowKalypso wrote: Ohh, a grammer nazi enters the field

There's a difference between grammar and missing out part of a word.

Or, in your arcane dialect: the a differ betw gram an mis ou pa o a wo.

might catch on...

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2006-01-02 13:55:12

hate is such a strong word

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2006-01-02 14:39:04

maybe I just like going against the majority, but I recognize the points that Kalypso made and it has made me rethink my opinion on the series. I've dedicated more thought into his argument than the rest of you combined since I actually considered what he had to say. I'm too good for this forum.

Capitalism is the extraordinary belief that the nastiest of men, for the nastiest of reasons, will somehow work for the benefit of us all.- JM Keynes

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2006-01-02 17:19:41

At 1/2/06 02:39 PM, cyberen wrote: maybe I just like going against the majority, but I recognize the points that Kalypso made and it has made me rethink my opinion on the series. I've dedicated more thought into his argument than the rest of you combined since I actually considered what he had to say. I'm too good for this forum.

Yes, you are, you can read english xD

Seriously though, this forum needs about 5~ years of education for most average members so they can learn 2 contribute :o

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2006-09-08 00:16:33

I am an adherent to the Bitey series, but I also agree the responses you've recieved have been immature, at best. I'll do what I can to argue my point, mentioning graphics briefly.

Plot/ Storyline - Although the plot is not immediately apparent, it is fairly obvious. Every artist does not need to spell out an epic plot with catefully concieved dialogue. A story does not to be blatantly obvious to be there. Let's take apart an example story, littleFoot. I will completely not mention any of the spectacular graphics, as this is not the point of the discussion.

The introduction sets you up in a peaceful scene. You don't need the words to describe this (I know this is obvious, but my arguments will build up, believe me). Suddenly, there is movement, and you see the panicked bigfoot. You don't need words to tell you the bigfoot is agitated, if you have any manner of intelligence. Then, it pans to the flower-animal which surprises you by eating the bug. Although not integral to the plot, it is still quite enjoyable to watch.

Follow the flying flower and you find the littleFoot, and the work starts peicing together. It's possible someone wouldn't connect the bigFoot is looking for the littleFoot, but unimportant. The flower ties in because the little foot, being immature and playful, follows it. I'm sure in other flash the author would have had an obnoxious peice of dialogue stating what Adam can do with a few frames.

Following the littleFoot (Also appealing to one of the 6 basics of humor, cuteness) in his journey, it cuts to our main character, Bitey. It reiterates his prankster nature, and adds another piece to this constantly untangling story; Bitey's fear of spiders. Note that it does not have to have Bitey say, "I'm scared of spiders".

Eventually, Bitey is about to catch the littleFoot, and corners him, and littleFoot attacks. Violence from small things is funny. The expressions on Bitey's face help tremendously in this scene, and tell things dialogue could not. When the bigFoot comes, the natural human reaction is to be happy, because people connect with parental love. When Bitey goes to bother the bigFoot again, it shows without dialogue what kind of person Bitey is; an asshole who doesn't learn his lesson and thinks he is invincible. The added humor and further feeling of the parental love comes when Bitey dodges a boulder only to be hit by a small rock.

The episode even ends with what you would take as an obvious story, with the goblins surrounding him.

---

If you still do not see my point of view, as they say, there is no accounting for taste.

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2006-09-08 01:06:48

At 1/2/06 10:12 AM, N-Antichrist wrote:

Just because he has no flash, doesn't mean he's not allowed to not like them. Are the people in the media who review full-length movies good at making them theirselves? No.

Oh, yeah, and the guy who said they all have a good storyline, and then just said that Little foot was the story of a Baby bigfoot is a retard.

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 16:13:06

You kids don't need to jump down shadowKalypso's throat just because he hates the bitey's movies for there lack of plot.

I'll even admit that i only liked those movies for it's drawings even my review on the new bitey movie's overall score is more based on graphics than story.

theres a lot of improvement needed.

it's cool you like the bitey movies but don't pretend for a second that there popular for there storylines.

also talked to shadowKalypso on aim and he's actually one of the smartest people i seen on ng.

-Mightydein

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 16:28:39

Waterlollies was awesome, there was even return characters who Bitey hid from =|

Of course that's a storyline.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 16:34:09

At 1/2/06 10:09 AM, CryptosPainbringer wrote: Incidentally, has it occured to anyone that the guy's just an attention-seeker? I've seen this sort of thing happen elsewhere.

I believe the word you're looking for is "troll". And if he is trying to troll, he's horrible at it. He's too logical about it to effectively troll. I don't agree with him, but he's not trolling right now. At least, not very well.

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i

oh no I am choking on a million dicks

BBS Signature

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 16:41:48

At 11/9/07 04:13 PM, Mightydein wrote: it's cool you like the bitey movies but don't pretend for a second that there popular for there storylines.

That's bullshit. He nearly created an entire ecosystem and continuously comes up with new creatures, and how they react with the protagonist.

Example: Waterlollies. Bitey eats the Waterlollies, and realizes that he just has put his life in danger. If he moves like he is used to, he would probably explode. And so, he is reduced to a sloth. Bitey's speed is what influences his character. He is mean and arrogant because he can't be outrun; if he can't be outrun, he can get away with mischief, which is the core of his very being. By losing his speed, he loses his identity. You can tell by his movement and expressions that Bitey realizes this, and the story progresses as Bitey moves through his crisis.

If you don't think that's a decent plot, then you're fucked in the head.

also talked to shadowKalypso on aim and he's actually one of the smartest people i seen on ng.

How many people have you "seen" on NG?

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i

oh no I am choking on a million dicks

BBS Signature

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 16:48:56

I think you are falling into a very simple trap, which I think a lot of people can do at times, in that you aren't drawing a distinction between a plot, and a story.

A story is a simple premise revolving around a few characters and a few events. A plot is a complex interweaving of many stories which all arc around a larger groups of characters and events , some of them recurring, some of them not. It's a cery simplistic way of differing between the two, but it'll do for this.

You are right, Bitey has no plot. It does how ever tell a story, a very simple and almost child like story, but a story no less. In all honesty, the simplicity of the story is what endears me to the series in some ways as it contrasts with the highly detailed art and graphics.

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 17:16:32

Bumped post from a looooong time ago lawl.

This post was never a troll post, if you think I'm trolling you're either extremely paranoid or you have bad reading comprehension. Trolls don't make logical arguments. Anyway, I don't really care much for this, but I will re-state my argument in updated terms.

Anything has a story. I can look out my window, see a cat walking around in the grass and that's a story. I can look in front of me in line at wal-mart and there's a story. But it's not interesting, and it's not something you'd re-tell. When people re-tell stories in real life, they accentuate the interesting parts, cut useless information, embellish a little bit to make the story as interesting and captivating as possible. There is no one area that fully encapsulates entertainment in any medium.

The Bitey series lacks nearly everything but visual appeal. If I tell you a story with amazing imagery but it doesn't go anywhere you're not going to enjoy the story very much. To me, that's what Bitey is, it IS amazing visuals, but it doesn't go anywhere. There is no progression, and no point. If I find a fan of the series and ask them some very simple questions, they'll quickly fail to answer them. What is Bitey? What does he do? What is his purpose? What is the point of the film?

One of my favorite films of all time is "The Big Lebowski" by the Coen Brothers. It's essentially a movie with "no point," in that while the plot is extremely complicated it's ultimately unimportant to the movie itself (Almost a direct quote from the Coen brothers). The plot doesn't really matter, and like the Bitey series the focus of the story isn't on the events, but on the characters. However, I can pinpoint for you specific things in every aspect of the movie I like, even though it's a "movie with no point." The dialog is amazing, the characters of Walter and the Dude are amazingly well crafted, every minor characters interaction with the main characters are well-written. The entire atmosphere of the movie is amazing, and every moment of the movie is used to entertain you, whether it advances the "plot" or not.

My main point in regards to Bitey isn't just that it has no plot. Which it doesn't. It also doesn't have real character development, it doesn't have comedy, it doesn't have drama, it doesn't have situations. It doesn't have... anything... except animation. The animation is great, but when you aren't animating anything of purpose, a "Story" with no start, finish or middle, your movie is going to suck. That's just how it is. There's a delicate balance to maintain in film, and the Bitey series has NO balance.

Lack of plot is one thing, I can handle a 5 minute flash film with no plot. But there needs to be something else there. Raw animation doesn't cut it. There is vibrant imagery you can create without the use of dialog, but [u]all of it is based on experiences we have in life, and it's nearly impossible to re-create with imaginary creatures.[/u]

The image of a couple sitting in a room at dawn, surrounded by beer bottles in a smoky haze, staring lifelessly in a random direction, silently sitting and saying nothing speaks volumes about the situation. You don't need words to say what's going on there if you draw the picture, but that's because we can relate the experience to ourselves. Again, there is none of this present in Bitey at all. Little to no emotion, character drive, motivation, or purpose. The animals behave... as animals...

That's not a story, that's a special on animal planet.

I'll never say the dude can't draw. He can, possibly the best of anyone on newgrounds, but the movies end up boring when he does it himself because he doesn't craft a story. What he does is draw some pretty stuff. Which is nice, but there needs to be more there.

People will always return to Super Mario 3, Final Fantasy 7 and other games with shitty graphics but good gameplay, because gameplay takes precidence over visual appeal. Will anyone play a game of the week in 2 months, much less 10 years? No. It's the same in film. The heart and soul of a piece of work is what makes it great, not the packaging. Example? Matrix 1 was an amazing film, a timeless classic, and Matrix 2/3, while having the same characters and being more visually appealing, were much, much worse movies, barely scraping by around 'decent.' What changed? The movie lost it's heart.

Good animation alone doesn't cut it.

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 17:18:38

At 1/2/06 10:05 AM, ShadowKalypso wrote: All of them. Additionally, the authors Hitchhiker series. That's a dumb question.

I didn't like Hitch-hiker.

Brackenwood is a totally different story.

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 17:32:24

At 11/9/07 04:41 PM, Luxury-Yacht wrote: That's bullshit. He nearly created an entire ecosystem and continuously comes up with new creatures, and how they react with the protagonist.

Dude i will admit that the new bitey movie has made improvement in terms of story but there is still plenty of room for improvement in terms of plot.

I actually found it entertaining on a level beyond the graphics but for the most part shadowkalypso's criticism still holds true.

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 17:43:19

At 11/9/07 05:40 PM, risbolla wrote:
At 1/2/06 10:02 AM, ShadowKalypso wrote: Bunch of stupid crap
Speak English, not all of us are fluent with Bullshit.

I bet this dude thinks he's right and that he made some kind of point.

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 17:47:28

Well, since you didn't like em, he should give you back the money you paid for watching it

Nevermind that, I don't see why you compare em to games, them and brackenwood movies aren't quite the same thing- you could call them, like, eye candy- the flash Future ain't got no plot at all either, but it's still great- in most people's opinion that is

Bah anyways, do you really care? Tons and tons of people enjoy them, so it's just fair that they have a high ranking

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 17:56:31

He has said himself that he needs to work on his story skills.

Know Your Onion!

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 17:59:06

I personally think that Brackenwood is amazing, but I agree, the plot is a bit lacking. I really enjoyed the plot of littleFoot and Waterlollies, however. And there was humor in most of them.

But I can see where this guy is coming from on this. And it makes perfect sense. He has a right to his opinion guys, there's no reason to attack him.

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 18:00:21

I too think he is just showing off his animation talents. The story line is...err...not a storyline. Or an individual plot.

BBS Signature

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 18:13:38

Mother troll and Child strolling through the woods...

Monster Count: 2999 - Countdown to 3000

DO ANY OF YOU BOYS LIVE IN VIRGINIA?!

BBS Signature

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 18:14:28

can anyone else smell an alt?

BBS Signature

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 18:16:58

When you touch an animation device your opinion will matter.

no it wont.

BBS Signature

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 18:18:25

I think they are overrated. Especially the new one. The score it has is just ridiculous.

S&Box, the game Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 18:28:34

Not being able to make good flash is very important in criticising flash, I don't make flash so I don't criticise peoples work very much I just tell them where they can improve their work. Brackenwood does have a storyline you dullard Littlefoot: Bitey is trying to hurt little bigfoot and in the end he gets a rock thrown at him by littlefoot's dad. that is a storyline you dunce now go sit in the corner. GO!

Also, somebody's PMSing

A great website. Another great site. A third one.

Click my sig image to go to Acid's Website.

BBS Signature

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 18:46:59

At 1/2/06 10:02 AM, ShadowKalypso wrote:
Flame on.

Isn't it funny how the only people who dislike them are level 2 or lower?

darcness1 sez: Newgrounds moderators scare small children.

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 18:48:49

I hate them too, they are so boring!

Response to Re: Bitey Of Brackenwood Series. 2007-11-09 18:49:13

Huh? Not only are they extremely well animated, but it does have a pot and it IS funny. Well, at least to me and alot of other people. but i guess your entitled to your own opion, so whatever

If a man that always tells the truth comes up to you and says that another man always tells lies, and the man who always lies come up to you and says "I'm lying", then is he?

BBS Signature