New Topic Respond to this Topic
SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-23 15:19:34 Reply

At 4 hours ago, MistyEntertainment wrote: Is mass voting something to the top 50 reportable? http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/333176
3,261 votes and 7,276 views is certainly an odd ratio.

This was taken care of. Thanks for pointing it out!

MistyEntertainment
MistyEntertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Animator
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-23 18:28:59 Reply

At 3 hours ago, SpiffyMasta wrote:
At 4 hours ago, MistyEntertainment wrote: Is mass voting something to the top 50 reportable? http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/333176
3,261 votes and 7,276 views is certainly an odd ratio.
This was taken care of. Thanks for pointing it out!

So it is, huh? Quite recently I've noticed tons of flashes with odd vote-to-view ratios that have managed to find their way in the top 50.

SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-23 21:21:12 Reply

At 2 hours ago, MistyEntertainment wrote:
So it is, huh? Quite recently I've noticed tons of flashes with odd vote-to-view ratios that have managed to find their way in the top 50.

If you find any more of those let me know by PM or post it here.

MistyEntertainment
MistyEntertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Animator
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-23 21:25:43 Reply

At 3 minutes ago, SpiffyMasta wrote:
At 2 hours ago, MistyEntertainment wrote:
If you find any more of those let me know by PM or post it here.

Here's one:

• TTA Episode 074
    TTA Episode 074 by Tails-Lock

The lost episode of TTA!

Score
    4.43 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-24 01:15:48 Reply

• Nome de Botao
    Nome de Botao by mattbernardes

Just an animation for a friend's band! Also I'm brazilian... So is the music.

Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Foreign language flash.

Breaks Newground's English only rule.

Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-24 01:38:03 Reply

At 18 minutes ago, BrokenDeck wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/590675
Foreign language flash.

English only? That's news to me. I don't believe that is a rule at all and the one you are thinking of only applies to BBS posts. If Newgrounds were to remove foreign flash it would alienate a huge chunk of their users.

Also, what about flash that don't have any words or text at all? Are those foreign?

BBS Signature
Jay
Jay
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-24 01:40:54 Reply

At A few seconds ago, Zachary wrote:
At 18 minutes ago, BrokenDeck wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/590675
Foreign language flash.

English only? That's news to me. I don't believe that is a rule at all and the one you are thinking of only applies to BBS posts. If Newgrounds were to remove foreign flash it would alienate a huge chunk of their users.

Also, what about flash that don't have any words or text at all? Are those foreign?

• There she is!!!
    There she is!!! by SamBakZa

I wish you to enjoy this movie.

Score
    4.37 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone
  • There she is!! step 2
    There she is!! step 2 by SamBakZa

2nd story of "There she is!!"

Score
    4.39 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone
  • There She Is!! step3
    There She Is!! step3 by SamBakZa

The 3rd episode of "There She Is!!" series.

Score
    4.43 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone
  • There She Is!! step4
    There She Is!! step4 by SamBakZa

The 4th episode of "There She Is!!" series.

Score
    4.43 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Just saying :P

reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-24 01:41:15 Reply

At 23 minutes ago, BrokenDeck wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/590675
Foreign language flash.

The English only rule only applies to the BBS. Every where else is fine.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature
SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-24 14:37:46 Reply

At 17 hours ago, MistyEntertainment wrote:
Here's one:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/532049

Nice catch. It was sitting at #14.

Then it got deleted. =P

lol

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-24 18:03:02 Reply

At 16 hours ago, Zachary wrote: The one you are thinking of only applies to BBS posts.
At 16 hours ago, reverend wrote: The English only rule only applies to the BBS. Every where else is fine.

I read it a while back and I remembered it slightly wrong then. For some reason I thought it said all content.

Anyways, thanks for the clarification guys!

Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-24 18:53:36 Reply

At 48 minutes ago, BrokenDeck wrote:
At 16 hours ago, Zachary wrote: The one you are thinking of only applies to BBS posts.
At 16 hours ago, reverend wrote: The English only rule only applies to the BBS. Every where else is fine.
I read it a while back and I remembered it slightly wrong then. For some reason I thought it said all content.

Anyways, thanks for the clarification guys!

No biggie. You probably were thinking about how reviews can not be in another language.

BBS Signature
MistyEntertainment
MistyEntertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Animator
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-24 21:59:12 Reply

This seriously seems like a legit submission, it's of decent quality and everything, though i remember seeing this a while ago with a much lower score. I'm not sure if the author mass voted this or somebody else but I noticed this got in the top 50. Oh well, like most of the stuff that I report here, it'll probably drop right to a 4.42 and get knocked off the list:

• SBC's Cookie Clockmas!
    SBC's Cookie Clockmas! by RupeeClock

StrawberryClock bakes some cookies to raise Clockmas goodwill funds! This can't be good...

Score
    4.43 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

I was gonna report the Mao Zedong thing but someone beat me to it :(

There's sure a lot of mass-voted stuff.

Here's one:

• ATTN Duck Division
    ATTN Duck Division by Dark0wl

Owl Orchard is teh pwning saviors of teh epick lulz :D

Score
    4.41 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

MistyEntertainment
MistyEntertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Animator
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-24 22:00:51 Reply

Never mind I think that Cookie Clockmas one was legit. Sorry

SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-24 22:39:36 Reply

At 37 minutes ago, MistyEntertainment wrote: I was gonna report the Mao Zedong thing but someone beat me to it :(

Yea that was me.

Which is why we have to keep an eye out for them.

Here's one:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/487186

This isn't in the top 50 but pretty close. We'll get this eliminated.

At 36 minutes ago, MistyEntertainment wrote: Never mind I think that Cookie Clockmas one was legit. Sorry

Yea, it's too borderline to get deleted I feel. Even though I'm pretty sure it was mass voted, it's kind of one of those flashes that isn't clearly just a bunch of crap.

MistyEntertainment
MistyEntertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Animator
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-24 22:51:07 Reply

At 7 minutes ago, SpiffyMasta wrote:
At 37 minutes ago, MistyEntertainment wrote: I was gonna report the Mao Zedong thing but someone beat me to it :(
Yea that was me.

Which is why we have to keep an eye out for them.

Here's one:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/487186
This isn't in the top 50 but pretty close. We'll get this eliminated.

At 36 minutes ago, MistyEntertainment wrote: Never mind I think that Cookie Clockmas one was legit. Sorry
Yea, it's too borderline to get deleted I feel. Even though I'm pretty sure it was mass voted, it's kind of one of those flashes that isn't clearly just a bunch of crap.

I remember seeing that in the top 50. A whole bunch of Tail-Lock's movies used to be mass-voted to the top 50 but they dropped to a 4.42 or something.

I remember seeing "In case you haven't heard" steal 3rd of all time, that was the most severe I've seen. I've also seen others that have dropped but I never reported them since I never knew that was a blammable offense until now.

SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-25 11:49:20 Reply

At 12 hours ago, MistyEntertainment wrote:
I remember seeing that in the top 50. A whole bunch of Tail-Lock's movies used to be mass-voted to the top 50 but they dropped to a 4.42 or something.

I remember seeing "In case you haven't heard" steal 3rd of all time, that was the most severe I've seen. I've also seen others that have dropped but I never reported them since I never knew that was a blammable offense until now.

Yes any mass voting, whether it'd be 5s or 0s, is not acceptable. If a flash is mass voted 5 to get into the Top 50 or daily award stealing, it's usually pretty easy to spot. 0 bombs are a little harder, but should be notified also.

You should read up on the TOS for games and movies http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/help-information/terms-of-use /game-and-movie-guidelines it's got lots of guidelines about what is rule breaking.

:)

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-25 17:12:35 Reply

So uh

can I join?

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-25 20:41:31 Reply

At 8 hours ago, SpiffyMasta wrote: 0 bombs are a little harder, but should be notified also.

Okay...? Most of my flash were 0 bombed pre-redesign, does that count?

At 3 hours ago, Jackho wrote: So uh

can I join?

Your posts' quality are fairly good and you're a private first class. I'd vote for you.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
byteslinger
byteslinger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Programmer
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-25 22:17:08 Reply

At 5 hours ago, Jackho wrote: So uh

can I join?

Speak up, PFC Jackho - don't be shy here...

Greetings! I am Supreme Commander ByteSlinger, the Recruitment Officer for the Elite Guard. You are indeed qualified to request permission to join the Barracks - however, there are a few things you'll need to read and understand before we start, but don't worry - I'll be guiding you through the recruitment process. Here's how it works:

First, I will present you with the shortened code of conduct for the Barracks, along with links to the relevant FAQ's on our forums. You must read them, understand them, and post here again confirming that you accept those principles. A simple "yes, I agree" will be sufficient. This process serves two purposes:

1) Ensuring that you're not a "drive-by applicant" who asks to join and then never comes back, and

2) Ensuring that you know how we operate so there won't be any complications in the future, such as "wait, we're not supposed to be mass voting?".

After you agree to the code of conduct, the Barracks community will discuss your qualifications and decide whether to allow you into the group. Our requirements aren't too strict; beyond the main qualifications of 2500+ B/P and a Bronze Whistle or better, we'll be looking for sufficient post quality (low number of one-liners, intelligent posts that contribute to the topic), helpful reviews, any potentially problematic flashes, stuff like that. After discussion and a vote, we'll make the final call and PM you with the results. Assuming that no objections are raised, the process usually takes a day or two (or so)

Here is our abbreviated Code of Conduct. Read it, learn it, and post again with confirmation of your understanding. If you can't abide by these principles, say so.

1. Voting fairly.

This is the foundation of the Elite Guard Barracks. All members are expected to give every flash a fair vote, regardless of who made it or what their group affiliations are. We do not target any flash group, not favorably or in opposition; our only enemies are those who break the rules of the site, not those who merely bend them.

Everyone has a different definition of quality, and all members are expected to vote based on what they honestly feel a flash deserves, not on whether they think the flash will pass or be blammed. While Barracks members are proud of their high ranks, and are eager to compete with others, a high B/P score means nothing if achieved through petty point-whore voting, and any member who admits to doing so will be removed from the organization.

2. Stopping Portal abuse.

Numerous stolen, malicious, and unsuitable flash are submitted to the Flash Portal every day, and it is our job to ensure that as many of them are removed as possible. Members are expected to report any suspicious flash to the Barracks, including any evidence or doubts that they might have, and only whistle something if they are sure, beyond a reasonable doubt, that it is whistle-worthy.

Just as with B/P, points mean nothing if achieved through inappropriate means. There should be no blind rush to whistle a flash that is merely suspected of wrongdoing; it's better to let an uncertain case go by rather than wrongly whistle an innocent submission. If evidence of wrongdoing is discovered after a flash passes judgment, we can always (and will always) inform Wade of our findings.

In the case of a beyond-reasonable-doubt rulebreaking flash, members are encouraged to share their results with the Newgrounds Police Department and the Newgrounds Department of Defense.

3. Cleaning up the review system.

Members are expected to be familiar with the review guidelines and whistle abusive reviews when they come across them, and report severe cases of abuse to a review mod. Additionally, members are expected to write helpful reviews, offering constructive criticism and remaining civil even when the author refuses to do so. We must set a good example for other Newgrounders, in hopes that they will improve their own reviews as well.

4. Setting an example for others to follow.

Barracks members are expected to post intelligently, contributing to threads rather than merely dropping a one-liner opinion on it. Flaming, spamming, and other ban-worthy behavior is strictly prohibited, and extreme misbehavior will lead to removal from the EGB.

Members are also expected to act civilly towards all Newgrounders. You are expected to be helpful and patient when dealing with newer members, whether simply showing them the FAQ or explaining more complex concepts that they do not understand. Concepts such as fair voting, intelligent posting/reviewing, and keeping an open mind are essential for newer members to learn, and we are just the ones to teach them.

For those with more experience, you are expected to show respect and understand that they may, in fact, know more about Newgrounds than you do, even if you're a seasoned veteran. This applies both to fellow Barracks members and Newgrounders in the general population.

Members are expected to put reasonable effort into any flash or audio submissions, and be careful with who they become Portal Buddies with. We are quite generous with our definition of reasonable effort; examples of unacceptable submissions would be static images, single frames, ridiculously small loops, or purposefully bad music. Anyone submitting rulebreaking content would, obviously, be removed from the Barracks and reported to Wade.

5. Not starting shit.

As mentioned above, the Barracks has no enemies beyond those who break the rules of the site. Our roster has included current and former members of various flash groups, including the Clock Crew, Barney Bunch, and Kitty Krew, and we are open to anyone willing to follow our principles. Barracks members are expected to be civil to others and not start fights, and anyone found to be starting shit with anyone, even if they deserve it, will be removed. You are representing the Barracks with your actions, and if your actions do not reflect our principles, you will not be a part of the organization.

6. Remaining active with the group.

Barracks members are expected to remain reasonably active in the thread, as well as with their duties. Those who are inactive for long periods (months) may be removed from the roster at any time, and rollcalls are occasionally sent out to all members to determine who is active. Members who expect to be inactive for some time due to IRL reasons (such as school, employment, vacation, etc) should inform the Barracks in advance.

In addition to the above, please examine the following materials.

The Barracks Manifesto
The Barracks FAQ

So, just let me know, and we'll get you started! And, please, for the love of GOD, do NOT quote this entire thing! :-)

Proud member of the EGB |-Barracks Info-|-EGB BBS-|-EGB Website-|

BBS Signature
Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-26 06:12:02 Reply

At 7 hours ago, byteslinger wrote: Just as with B/P, points mean nothing if achieved through inappropriate means. There should be no blind rush to whistle

The whistle system is not yet in place. I don't think this is needed for the time being.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
byteslinger
byteslinger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Programmer
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-26 12:21:58 Reply

At 6 hours ago, Gimmick wrote:
At 7 hours ago, byteslinger wrote: Just as with B/P, points mean nothing if achieved through inappropriate means. There should be no blind rush to whistle
The whistle system is not yet in place. I don't think this is needed for the time being.

What do you want from copy-pasta? Yes, I am fully aware the whistle system is off-line now - but that doesn't mean it won't be back soon. Once the site has settled in to it's final stability, I will review this wall of text and make any adjustments as needed. Your opinion has been noted...

Proud member of the EGB |-Barracks Info-|-EGB BBS-|-EGB Website-|

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-26 14:33:38 Reply

At 16 hours ago, byteslinger wrote: stuff

Sounds good to me. So what happens next?

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
MistyEntertainment
MistyEntertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Animator
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-26 20:59:04 Reply

How do you guys deal with 0 bombing, SpiffyMasta?

SoulMaster71
SoulMaster71
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-26 23:20:32 Reply

Ladies and gentlemen of the Elite Guard Barracks, we have a Flash thief!

• Vampire Hentai game
    Vampire Hentai game by Darkside7000

A new creationa fter some years of absence.

Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Adults Only

Stolen from Zone.

• Blowjob Game
    Blowjob Game by Darkside7000

blowjob game

Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Adults Only

Don't know the original source, but I've seen it on places like Sankaku Channel before.

SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-27 11:45:27 Reply

At 14 hours ago, MistyEntertainment wrote: How do you guys deal with 0 bombing, SpiffyMasta?

If you have evidence that a flash was 0-bombed, then we report it.

Thing is, it's kind of hard to find evidence of such. But we can always try.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-27 14:47:14 Reply

At 2 hours ago, SpiffyMasta wrote:
At 14 hours ago, MistyEntertainment wrote: How do you guys deal with 0 bombing, SpiffyMasta?
If you have evidence that a flash was 0-bombed, then we report it.

Thing is, it's kind of hard to find evidence of such. But we can always try.

I generally try to get over it - it happens all the time with my audio. I have to live with that, because some people get butthurt, over one ban or another.

If it's a real problem and you can prove it, let me know and I'll see what I can say to Wade.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
phantomlassuk
phantomlassuk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-27 18:27:17 Reply

I'm really glad the message for when you deposit your experience points is back, makes it so much easier then checking you-re stats page. Only took a few weeks after the redesign to have it back, hopefully the whistle will come back for reporting stolen flashes. I like the way you can vote for UJ movies and games with the section showing. I brought a FPS game called Singularity and both Bioshock games.

Archer I'm a good shot!

Expectrum
Expectrum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-27 18:34:45 Reply

At 1 minute ago, phantomlassuk wrote: Only took a few weeks after the redesign to have it back, hopefully the whistle will come back for reporting stolen flashes.

I'm not sure if Tom is either reintegrating the whistle system or adding a "report abuse" button, akin to the one in the Art Portal (unrelated to your whistle). The truth of the matter is that, in either case, submissions will be dealt with by Flash Mods rather than only by the admins.

BBS Signature
MistyEntertainment
MistyEntertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Animator
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-28 20:10:58 Reply

Top 50 mass-vote:

Decky
Decky
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2012-02-29 07:46:43 Reply

At 11 hours ago, MistyEntertainment wrote: Top 50 mass-vote:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/424208

What do we do about mass-voting? I feel like I've missed a meeting XD. I know that as a rule the EGB is against mass-voting but the only real way to get it to a score that it deserves (that I can see) would be to mass-vote it fairly until it is done. Do we just report it to Tom or Wade like a stolen flash?

I said no to drugs but they just wouldn't listen.
Like Page///Art Thread///Latest Art Piece

BBS Signature