00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BorfDoggo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Help with Game 2005-11-27 05:46:44

Okay so heres the scene:

I'm trying to make a birds' eye view kinda game(like age of empires). At this stage I have created two good guys that can be moved around with the mouse, a bad guy that can kill them and be killed and I'v also mad it so the two good guys can go to a forest and pick up wood and a gold mine and pick up gold then return to base and it goes to the stockpiles. So heres the problem, I've made it so that each time you click a character their information and a picture appears in a display box but when you do this it displays the amount of wood at that time and if they get more wood it doesnt show up until you click on them again. And here's the catch, I've done all this on Flash 5. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I realised I haven't gone into any of my coding but I think it better that you just ask what you need to know rather than me putting up a lot of pointless crap.

Many thanks in advanced

BBS Signature

Response to Help with Game 2005-11-27 05:48:58

Okay, what do you want help with?

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to Help with Game 2005-11-27 05:49:49

Whoa! all in Flash 5? man, all the games i made with that was...well...shotty, i forget even the actionscript limitations it has...im so used to Flash MX....but, whoa...Flash 5?

Response to Help with Game 2005-11-27 05:56:49

I need help with making the wood that is displayed as "In backpack" update itself without having to click on the character again

BBS Signature

Response to Help with Game 2005-11-27 06:00:30

At 11/27/05 05:56 AM, Fionmaster wrote: I need help with making the wood that is displayed as "In backpack" update itself without having to click on the character again

Well you'll need to make it update in real-time, say when wood is gained then it updates then if the backpack is visible.. this type of game (RTS) is really hard to make and you won't be able to do it just by asking people for help. Try learning AS a bit more, try here.

At 11/27/05 05:49 AM, RWS wrote: Whoa! all in Flash 5? man, all the games i made with that was...well...shotty, i forget even the actionscript limitations it has...im so used to Flash MX....but, whoa...Flash 5?

Whoa, irony or what? MX and 5 use similar ActionScript, they really aren't that different.

BBS Signature

Response to Help with Game 2005-11-27 06:12:59

At 11/27/05 06:00 AM, -liam- wrote: Whoa, irony or what? MX and 5 use similar ActionScript, they really aren't that different.

Not really, Flash MX use a more advanced ActionScript to Flash 5, seriously. I was making this game in Flash MX, but the computers at school uses Flash 5, so i had to convert it to Flash 5, and when i did that, NOTHING would work. And errors in Flash would say "certain ActionScript is not available in that version of flash. Som code may be lost or may not work. Do you wish to proceed" etc etc

Response to Help with Game 2005-11-27 06:14:46

I already know some of that stuff and a lot of it seems kinda off the track for me.
But i guess my questions havent really made much sense if there is any one who gets me please help out. (This is the only thing I need help with once I get this done I'm on the homestraight).

BBS Signature

Response to Help with Game 2005-11-27 06:16:23

At 11/27/05 06:12 AM, RWS wrote: Not really, Flash MX use a more advanced ActionScript to Flash 5, seriously. I was making this game in Flash MX, but the computers at school uses Flash 5, so i had to convert it to Flash 5, and when i did that, NOTHING would work. And errors in Flash would say "certain ActionScript is not available in that version of flash. Som code may be lost or may not work. Do you wish to proceed" etc etc

Flash MX and Flash 5 both use ActionScript 1, there of course will be differences but theres nothing as huge as the jump from MX to MX 2004.

BBS Signature

Response to Help with Game 2005-11-27 06:32:15

I take back my advanced thanks and leave you boys to it. Thanks for your lack of interest

BBS Signature

Response to Help with Game 2005-11-27 06:34:40

At 11/27/05 06:32 AM, Fionmaster wrote: I take back my advanced thanks and leave you boys to it.

You know we aren't going to give you the exact code, I told you the theory and you should be able to figure it out from there. If you can't then you really shouldn't be trying to make a game at all, never mind something as complex as a real-time strategy game.

Thanks for your lack of interest

No need to be a prick, I did answer your question ;P

BBS Signature

Response to Help with Game 2005-11-27 06:43:36

I am a prick and thats the way it is. And who are you to say what I should and shouldn't be doing I think if I'm bored enough I can do anything.

BBS Signature

Response to Help with Game 2005-11-27 06:46:14

Well if you post the actual code you have currently got for the update-after-click. then it will be a lot easier for us to mess around and fix for you :D

Response to Help with Game 2005-11-27 06:57:23

At 11/27/05 06:46 AM, T-H wrote: Well if you post the actual code you have currently got for the update-after-click. then it will be a lot easier for us to mess around and fix for you :D

This is the AS on the character:
on (press) {
startDrag ("", true);
_root.type = "worker";
_root.health = _root.hp2;
_root.xpos = _root.xpos2;
_root.ypos = _root.ypos2;
_root.location = _root.location2;
_root.goldpack = _root.goldpack2;
_root.woodpack = _root.wood2;
_root.oilpack = _root.oilpack2;
_root.foodpack = _root.foodpack2;
_root.strength = "Weak";
_root.speed = "4";
_root.weapon = "Shovel";
}
I can't see that helping a lot but thanks for trying. But seriuosly I am a prick

BBS Signature