Be a Supporter!

Newbie Audio Survival Guide

  • 1,456 Views
  • 23 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
PiePie
PiePie
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Blank Slate
Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-11-26 21:29:21 Reply

Well this topic goes to all the new people who are new to making music and new to the way things work here in the Audio section of the site.

Here I will give you a guideline on "How To Become a Reconized Artist/User"

So you want to be a musician? And you want to be able to make music like BOUNC3, Chronamut, GoreBastard, Dreamscaper and ParagonX9?

Well first thing you should do is take a look at the New to Audio sticky. Read that lurk threw all the links and do some research and see what you are jumping in too.

Now you read threw the sticky and you still want to make Audio. Well now you need is some software. The two major music software out there are FruityLoops and Reason. Fruityloops has more of a easy interface so it is more easy to get started on. But both Reason and FruityLoops are both powerful programs.

So you got the choice of musical program. Now it is up to you to open it up fool around with it for a good amount of time. I recommend before you go into a song you want to make I STRONGLY suggest that you make sure that you know your way inside out of Reason or Fruityloops or any other program you might be using...

If something is not working dont get frustrated come to the audio forum and post your questions in

Official Fruity Loops Topic
Official Reason 3.0 Topic

Depending on what your using post in the apropiate thread. If your not using those programs then just make a new topic in the Audio forum.

When you post your question dont expect a answer right away, depending on your question it might take some time before an experienced user comes online and help you out. So in meantime instead of wating there try to fix the problem yourself. Just remember ALWAYS SEARCH THE FORUM before posting your question chances are your question was already asked and answered.

So Time has past you are having lots of fun making music. If you are saying what fun? then my friend I suggest you do something because when you are making music and you are not enjoying yourself then you should look into something else because music is not for everyone.

Time has past you have made your first song and you think it is pretty good. NOW IT IS TIME TO SUBMIT your audio to the Audio Portal.
When you first submit a song you will have to go under a "Screen test" to see if what you are doing is not total crap and that you are worthy to enter the portal. Now if you are hesitating that your work is not good enough don't worry the audio mods understand that you are new so they accept almost anything if it has some qaulity in it.

Note: It could take up to 1 hour to a week before you get accepted in the audio portal.

Ok well you been accepted and you have 0 Downloads 0 Reviews and a score of 0. DO NOT PRESS THE 5 Button that will make your song go straight up the charts and then the "Zero Voters" will vote 0 on your song and then it will be forgotten and lost...

So now it is time to put your song up in the Audio Advertisements thread.

here users like me will go check it out and review it and tell you what to improve and what not. If a user gives you a low score there is a reason why he/she did that dont get mad take there advice and improve your work.

OK at this point you should be able to make some decent music and you should know your way around the software you are using. Now you think you know enough, well come here on the forums and if you see a question that you could answer, ANSWER it not only does it help the person who asked the question, it also makes you more known of a user and out of the 10 people who see your post at least 1 of them will take a look at your music. Of course you have to be posting well imformative posts so people like you. Watch what you say to people espiaclly the n00bs. Don't be to nice though just don't go insulting people for no reason because if they get a grudge there 1 vote could ruin your scores.

Tips on Getting more people to listen to your music
-Review lots of people music
-Have a catchy title
-Make flash artists use your music in the movie/game
-Make sure your song is in the right Genre
-Don't be an idiot in the forums
-Put your music on different sites other than Newgrounds
______________________________________

If you followed the steps I mentioned above then well my friend you should be a decent musician and remember the more you work at it the better you get. Still want your music to be like the "Big guy's" all you have to do is keep on working at it even they were at your level when they started so it is up to you to become an amazing musician.

This is pretty much it also don't be afraid to add people to your AIM/Msn/Yahoo so you can discuss music and maybe even collab together.
_____________________________________

Here are a few more links that will prove to be helpful to anyone.

OFFICIAL FRUITYLOOPS TUTORIALS
Audio Copyright
Audio Lounge
________________________________________

Well hope you enjoyed my simple Guide To the New Music User. Be free to anyone who is reading this to add useful links/threads

or if you want to mentioned something that I missed go ahead and write it, this thread is for the new guy who has all the resources to make some killer music.

Just remember people the Audio Portal is not the Flash Portal so don't expect those results. This was mean't to be used for flash artists to get some loops. So if you really want your music in a game/movie make a loop for all to here.

***Just because my spelling is bad does not mean I don't know what im saying***

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GOOD TIME MAKING MUSIC!!!!!!

-PiePie

PiePie
PiePie
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-11-26 21:36:53 Reply

Also I forgot to add that if you are lost and and your question is not Fruityloop or Reason or any other software realated you could post your questions here....

Arenj-Kenshin
Arenj-Kenshin
  • Member since: Aug. 5, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-11-27 09:18:12 Reply

not bad for newbs, yet, I struggled when I had first been making music years ago...

Khuskan
Khuskan
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-11-27 09:42:30 Reply

Screen test won't turn your track down if its total crap, only if its stolen.

PiePie
PiePie
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-11-27 09:52:31 Reply

At 11/27/05 09:42 AM, Khuskan wrote: Screen test won't turn your track down if its total crap, only if its stolen.

Yes make an account AND SCREAM WITH all you might into the microphone.

then see if the accept it.

DarKsidE555
DarKsidE555
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 52
Musician
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-11-27 16:26:28 Reply

Cool Guide PiePie, you put a lot of effort into this one.

I think this helps "n0obs" a lot!


I are pwnan teh lollbarian!
...SoS - We rape responsibly...

BBS Signature
BraveNewWorld
BraveNewWorld
  • Member since: Jun. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-11-28 18:29:50 Reply

Very informative. Thanks.

PiePie
PiePie
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-11-28 18:38:54 Reply

At 11/28/05 06:29 PM, J_Scott wrote: Very informative. Thanks.

Your welcome it was a pleasure. Just remember my friend the two threads of Reason anf FruityLoops arn't good if you have questions concerning those then please use

The Reason Thread
Ask your FruityLoops question here

ShinDenjin
ShinDenjin
  • Member since: Jan. 20, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-11-28 18:52:30 Reply

PiePie for MOD!!!

wait, I said that already...
D'Oh!

Die...

PiePie
PiePie
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-11-28 19:14:20 Reply

At 11/28/05 06:52 PM, S-Denjin wrote: PiePie for MOD!!!

how is one suppose to respond to this? lol o well

For the users out there who are looking to buy a guitar look at this link...
This thread could be also used for if you find a helpful link or something that new users will apply to. So post any little links that helped you in past and say waht they do and what not

How to buy guitar

title pretty much explains it but even the links around it are helpful for people who don't know guitars.

ShinDenjin
ShinDenjin
  • Member since: Jan. 20, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-11-28 19:17:37 Reply

oh and speaking of which... I was shopping with my ex because she can't decide what to get for her new girlfriend (long story short, we had a threeway and she never looked back-_-). So we walk into a SanRio at the downtown mall and I saw a Fender four-string with Baditz Maru plated all over it. I drooled the entire time I was there... too bad they didn't carry a matching amp for it though... oh wells, that's one thing on my christmas list.


Die...

Tancrisism
Tancrisism
  • Member since: Mar. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-11-28 22:17:01 Reply

At 11/26/05 09:29 PM, PiePie wrote: Tips on Getting more people to listen to your music
-Review lots of people music

Absolutely. The greatest way to get reviews.

-Have a catchy title

Works some of the time; usually things like ZELDA ROX OMGZORZ attracts more reviews than some really clever title.

-Make flash artists use your music in the movie/game

Ultimate goal.

-Make sure your song is in the right Genre

True true.

-Don't be an idiot in the forums

Agreed. Then everyone will hate you, and your music will be slanted towards the suck, unless it's truely good.

-Put your music on different sites other than Newgrounds

Definately, if you want to appeal to a wide variety of people. If it's only NG you want, then excellent for you.

I love you PiePie.


Fancy Signature

PiePie
PiePie
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-11-28 22:51:38 Reply

At 11/28/05 10:17 PM, Tancrisism wrote: I love you PiePie.

well im glad you liked the guide I worked a full 25 mins on it.

I love you too Tancrisism! (HA I had to copy paste your name to spell it right)

Khuskan
Khuskan
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-11-29 05:07:39 Reply

At 11/28/05 10:51 PM, PiePie wrote:
At 11/28/05 10:17 PM, Tancrisism wrote: I love you PiePie.
well im glad you liked the guide I worked a full 25 mins on it.

I love you too Tancrisism! (HA I had to copy paste your name to spell it right)

First comes love, then comes marrige...

DarKsidE555
DarKsidE555
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 52
Musician
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-11-29 05:47:41 Reply

At 11/29/05 05:07 AM, Khuskan wrote: First comes love, then comes marrige...

And then comes....OmfG, *censored* kthxbye


I are pwnan teh lollbarian!
...SoS - We rape responsibly...

BBS Signature
B0UNC3
B0UNC3
  • Member since: Jan. 4, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 07
Musician
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-11-30 03:33:26 Reply

Very good and informative guide....
Also success doesn't come without failures.I do fail alot......Ye u heard me haha.

A good start for a track is that you already know what you are going/trying to create.Then it wont be a hassle to well start making it.

Oh and...

U spelled my name wrong :'(

CenterWall | Soundcloud | Facebook | Twitter

LJCoffee
LJCoffee
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-12-01 00:09:48 Reply

In light of the several recent topics asking how to make music and/or where to get stuff, I'm giving this deserving topic a bump.


BBS Signature
DekapitatoR
DekapitatoR
  • Member since: Mar. 9, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-12-01 02:36:05 Reply

Really helped if i sometimes start to make audio.


BBS Signature
OXXOI77777
OXXOI77777
  • Member since: Jul. 6, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Musician
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-12-02 19:17:24 Reply

got two questions-
1.Do reason or frooty loops cost money?
2.If they do, is there a free trial or demo?
3.If they both coast money, and niether has a free trial or demo, is there any other programs that are free that are maybe not as good
4. cant you just use a mic to record music i played on a guitar or something?
tnx to hoever answers


///////////////////////////////////
///////////////////////////////////
\\\\\\\\\\\[magic]\\\\\\\\\\\

BBS Signature
OXXOI77777
OXXOI77777
  • Member since: Jul. 6, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Musician
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-12-02 19:19:38 Reply

sry for double post but i need to correct myself-4 questions


///////////////////////////////////
///////////////////////////////////
\\\\\\\\\\\[magic]\\\\\\\\\\\

BBS Signature
LJCoffee
LJCoffee
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-12-02 19:46:51 Reply

At 12/2/05 07:17 PM, Droneavp23 wrote: 1.Do reason or frooty loops cost money?

Yes - most definitely

2.If they do, is there a free trial or demo?

YES! - Reason demo can be found here
and Fruity Loops can be found here

3.If they both coast money, and niether has a free trial or demo, is there any other programs that are free that are maybe not as good

Check here for some freeware

4. cant you just use a mic to record music i played on a guitar or something?
tnx to hoever answers

Sure can - in fact, you can use an old tape deck to record yourself banging pans together if you want...

Good luck!

READ ALL THE STICKIES!!!


BBS Signature
TritoneAngel
TritoneAngel
  • Member since: Jul. 24, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Musician
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2005-12-03 00:24:53 Reply

At 12/2/05 07:46 PM, ljcoffee wrote:
Sure can - in fact, you can use an old tape deck to record yourself banging pans together if you want...

Dear God... don't encourage people to do this. Those of us unfamiliar with sarcasm might take you literally.

I'm having visions of newly-formed "crews" mass submitting a series of pan-banging audio clips... and naming them "XXX DREW PICKLES HENTAI PAN BANGING XXX". Be afraid.


<|> TritoneAngel <|>
<|> Visit TritoneAngel Audio for guitar-centric rock, metal, VG, jazz & classical songs.
<|> Newest TritoneAngel Audio: Clockwork
(submitted 12/8/08)

BBS Signature
PiePie
PiePie
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2006-03-03 10:06:44 Reply

ahem now that I reread this I should of changed a few things here and there o well hope at least 1 guy might see this and not make a topic...

attemptedperfection
attemptedperfection
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Newbie Audio Survival Guide 2006-03-03 11:18:39 Reply

hm... pots and pans, eh?
I once tore apart my broken stereo and pummeled it with drum sticks for the rythm in one of my t.w.i.m.c. songs;
it actually came out pretty good...
but, yeah.
to answer the freware question:
http://buzzmachines.com
:D


BBS Signature