00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cosoden just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Video Game Review Crew

36,171 Views | 705 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-12 00:49:22

At 12/11/05 10:56 PM, CrimsonRocker wrote: what is a host and a forum set up lol sorry i just dont know what those are?

Ha its fine i was just saying because my site www.gamevisionz.com has room for a private forum but i see you have that covered so nevermind...

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-12 01:22:33

I'm actually planning on getting an actual forum set up. I have good, free connections.

If ya guys don't want one, just let me know.

Next post will prolly be rules 'n stuff...

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-12 03:41:06

nice to have you wacky wade rox and also thanks for the review!it is very helpful to all in this club!Discuss any game you would like to.

thanx for the encouragment. it was my first review so it kinda sucked but you're real nice. thanx dude

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-12 18:25:58

RULES FOR THE VGRC

----Joining----
To join, leave a review in the proper format. Try taking a game that has not been reviewed yet, or try taking an opposite standpoint.

----Conduct----
1.) No unneccesary flaming.
2.) Try posting up only requests, reviews, previews, and feedback. No spam.
3.) If your post doesn't contribute/help anyone in any way, don't post.

----Reviews----
Let's try to keep a formal structure to this.

GAME TITLE
Producer

Part of game storyline, to show what the game is about.

What you found in this game.

PROS TO GAME:
List 3

CONS TO GAME:
List 3

Rating, out of 5. Try not to go into decimals.

Leave on shelf, rent, or buy.

----------------

These are the rules as compiled by WoogieNoogie. Leaders or high ranking members, feel free to add on.

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-12 19:48:03

Neverwinter Nights
Bioware

Neverwinter Nights is an RPG that lets you customise your character as much as you could possibly want. You start out in Neverwinter Academy, training to become a city gaurd, as the Wailing Death is taking its toll from the city. The academy comes under attack, and the four creatures to create the cure escape from their bonds. You are employed to find the creatures and cure the plague. But is there a deeper element here? How did the plague start, and who are the Cult of the Eye?

This is one of my favorite games. Bioware has always put out great games that I love. The customization in this game is great. You can select your race from seven widespread reaces, and customise your class (wizard, fighter, ranger, etc.) very fine tuned to your style of playing. The storyline is great, and it keeps you on the edge of your seat by itself. The game has great elements in the gameplay. There are no real cinematics...just slideshows of images with a voiceover. That's okay though, because there are hardly any cinematics to notice that.
There are alot of loading screens, each of which take a little bit to load, but give you some helpful hints for the game.
The size is amazing, the game has four chapters...each with over five hour playing time, I'd bet (figure not exact...)
Graphics are awesome, for how old the game is. It's a classic.

PROS:
Great storyline
Great characters..customization and NPC's
Good time

CONS:
Some little glitches with henchmen and enemies
Sometimes, the enemies are alot more difficult than they should be
Loading screens and cinematics are sub par and come too often or too little.

With all this, I still give it a completely deserved 5 out of 5.

Buy this one. Great fun.

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-12 20:47:32

Hello. I am here to review games, nothing more, nothing less. I have been playing games since I was 5 years old, starting with the ZX spectrum.

GAME: Giga Wing
FORMAT: Arcade/Dreamcast
PLAYERS: 1p/2p
GENRE: Horizonatal 2D shoot-em-up
DEVELOPER: Takara
PUBLISHER: Capacom

Giga Wing is a high-score based shoot-em-up. The basic premise of the game involves dodging bullets, destroying ebimes and surviving as long as possible in order to rack up the most ludicrous high scores you can. There are a few factors that set this apart from the average shooter in this genre, however.

The game centres around 'multiplyers' which can be gained by collecting medals. As the mulitplyer goes up, the points attained by destroying enelies also increases. The key to gaining high scores revolves around obtaining the highest multiplyer possible. Medals are rewarded by destroying enemy crafts, the numericalvalue of the award depending on the toughness of the enemy.

This is where the 'reflect force' mechanic comes into play. You can charge a reflect force and then use it to deflect enemy bullets back at the enemy, each bullet deflected back creating a medal. Not only does this allow you to negotiate almost impossible onslaughts of enemy fire power, but it also gives you the unique satisfaction of hammering an enemy with its own fire-power and reaping the rewards of a huge multiplyer bonus. This gives Giga-Wing an atonishing edge over many other 2D shooters.

The reflect force mechanic would merely be a gimick, however, if it wasn't for the expert level design of the game, perfectly thought out to give newcomers a hard time but experts the chance to exploit the system and gain unblieveable high scores.

The music, SFX and graphical presentation of the game only add to the carnage. Rarely has a game allowed the player to feel so much control over the onscreen madness whislt still creating a sense of overwhelming destruction. This is one of a few titles that has the compulsiveness of old skool arcade games yet still giving the impression of a finely tuned modern experience that evolves the genre.

Giga Wing is a landmark title and should not be overlooked by action junkies. Anyone who appreciates innovative game mechanics and masterful level design should own this game for it's sheer influence on the genre and later titles such as Ikaruga.

In my opinion, Giga Wing is arguabley the best, if not THE best, arcade game of all time. Charismatic, intense and deeply creative, it is a welcome two fingers up to the stale and cliched realm of modern 3D games.

10/10

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-12 21:00:53

Hey woogie noogie i like the rules alot but 1 thing i might add i think the higher ranked people known as:

G-MAN 90
crimsonrocker
VGRCL
woogie noogie
masterstalker

these alias i just listed should be able to tell people what they are doing wrong in their reviews.The people i just listed can kinda be like review mods for this club!

~CRIMSON ROCKER (LEADER OF THE V.G.R.C)~

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-12 21:12:00

At 12/12/05 06:25 PM, WoogieNoogie wrote: RULES FOR THE VGRC

nice rules, I'd just like to change the grading criteria.
I think I like having the score out of ten with decimals in .5 integers. and also if its hard to think of three good and three bad, 1 or 2 is okay.
Also Im not sure if you put this on there but dont steal stuff from another website and say it was written by you, that has been a problem around here twice, and I dont want to see it again.

I dropped out in the third grade, and spent all my time at the arcade.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-12 21:26:46

At 12/12/05 07:48 PM, WoogieNoogie wrote: Neverwinter Nights
Bioware

uhm, great review just one thing. you didnt really mention what console it is on. I'd like to know because this looks like a game I would like to purchase.
thanks for the review,
-G.C.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-12 21:37:39

Hey woogie noogie i like the rules alot but 1 thing i might add i think the higher ranked people known as:

G-MAN 490
crimsonrocker
VGRCL
woogie noogie
masterstalker

these alias i just listed should be able to tell people what they are doing wrong in their reviews.The people i just listed can kinda be like review mods for this club!

~CRIMSON ROCKER (LEADER OF THE V.G.R.C)~

g-man490 do you think this will help the club any!

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-12 21:39:46

At 12/12/05 09:26 PM, G-MAN490 wrote: uhm, great review just one thing. you didnt really mention what console it is on. I'd like to know because this looks like a game I would like to purchase.
thanks for the review,
-G.C.

D'oh! I knew I forgot something! I'll have to revise the rules and review structure later.

Neverwinter Nights is for PC.

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-12 21:47:48

woogie do you think that rule i posted ^ there is ok i think it will be good for the club if we do that!

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-12 21:52:03

Yeah, I'll add that in the revision.

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-12 21:55:16

At 12/12/05 09:52 PM, WoogieNoogie wrote: Yeah, I'll add that in the revision.

ok thanks!I think if we have some club leaders/helpers this club will improve greatly!I mean if someone needs help they can just ask one of us club mods i guess you could say!

Maby we could like temporarily ban people in the club for postinf useless or stolen reviews!Ya know!

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-12 22:07:06

Well, we don't have the power to ban.

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-12 22:08:34

Can I Join?

Video Game Review Crew

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-12 22:11:28

well i actually dont mean bann i mean help them with there posts!You know help them to make there reviews more detailed and interesting!

And yes you can join!Welcome to the crew,feel free to review any game you like!

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-13 00:27:03

At 12/12/05 10:08 PM, Sparky624 wrote: Can I Join?

I'd suggest not picture spamming, but feel free to write a review :)

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-13 15:28:40

uhm, I like the idea of having club mods. Only have them be called like editors or something. I kinda want this place to feel somewhat like a game magazine, so we should have positions like editors, CEO or whatever, and other stuff. I dont know, just throwing out some ideas. I also need someone to make a list of users and possibly rank them by their voting power, how many reviews, or just come up with something. sorry Im not thinking very well right now because Im at shcool. I dont have a 7th period so Im just helping my friend with a project. maybe when I get home I can come up with some stuff but I've got a photography project I have to do so it would be nice if someone else could do that.
thanks,
-G.C.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-13 15:46:42

Nintendogs
Nintendo
DS

Nintendo has been known to make lots of games for younger audiences with cute characters that would appeal to younger and sometimes female audiences. Nintendogs is no acception to this on going genre of kids games. In Nintendogs you start by going to a dog pound and addopting your own cute little dog, there are three different versions of the game, each with unique choices of dogs, and presents that you can find while out on a walk with your dog. Nintendogs uses all of the DS's features, you can call your dogs name through the microphone and even teach it tricks, you constantly use the touch screen for the menus, throwing toys, petting your dog, and even washing him. Each dog has a unique personality and interacts with things very differently. When out on a walk you can meet other dogs on walks, or at the dog park. after your done training your dog, you start to get concerned about how your going to afford money to feed him, no worries just visit the local dog show where you can show off your dogs tricks that he has learned, catch some frisbies, or try jumping through some hoops in the agility trials. After beating each level of the different trials, you go on to different challenges that get harder and harder, Im not sure what happens after you beat all the trials but it must be something big. the graphics are really impressive for the little DS. But after a few days of this it starts to get really boring. what I really didnt like was that even after you turn off your DS your dogs are still living in real time, so you have to play the game every day or else your dogs will get all smelly and stinky, start to starve, and eventually run away. I also didnt like that the only way to make money is through the different trials and selling stuff that you find on the walks, I wish there were more ways to make money, and that it were more like the sims where the time just stops when you turn off the game, so you could stop playing for a while and come back. Nintendogs takes a lot of dedication to have fun with, and if you have that much dedication you've got to be willing to put up with doing a lot of repetative stuff.
Good
+graphics
+use of DS
+very cute
Bad
-repetative after a while
-not enough ways to make money
-you have to play it almost every day
Score
7/10
rent it, if you like it, buy it.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-13 18:28:44

Well g-man 1 thing i think i got it!

staff boss-crimsonrocker & vgrcl

ceo-woogie noogie & g-man

does that sound good for right know!

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-13 18:38:35

Hey all, I'm back. I had to move my grandmother into an appartment complex and got sick so I couldnt exactly make it to the library. My home phone is getting turned back on soon but now my modem adaptor is broken so I still wont have internet at home until christmas when I can go out and replace it.

I wrote a phantasy star review but left it at home so it wont be unveiled to you all until tomarrow if i'm feeling better (I'm still kinda sick).

I'm kinda disappointed in CrimsonRocker for the stolen reviews, buty its understandable. I personally feel flattered if I find my stuff good enough for other people to want to put there name on it. But seriously, next time just ask for a few pointers when it comes to reviewing. I make mine sound good because I have a great vocabulary. All you really have to do is type it as if you were telling a friend, and add some personality to it. That makes it a lot easier.

Also, congrats to all who contributed to the new forum. I havent checked it out yet, but I'll get to it.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-13 18:47:08

Nice to have you back master stalker!NOw that you are here i think i should change the positions up a little bit!

RANKINGS:

First i might add that crimson rocker and vgrcl can not be replaced as leader!But every one else will be judged upon vote power!

Im only gonna rank the people who post here daily cause there is no use in me ranking people who never post here!

Well here it goes i guess!

1.Elite Guard Supreme Commanders:Crimson rocker&vgrcl
2nd:g-man490
3rd:masta stalker
4th:woogie noogie

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-13 18:51:33

At 12/13/05 06:47 PM, CrimsonRocker wrote: First i might add that crimson rocker and vgrcl can not be replaced as leader!But every one else will be judged upon vote power!

I never really vote any more, but when I get my home PC up and running with internet, I should be good to go.

I got to leave in ten minutes (library closes) but if I dont post again tonite, I'll try to be back around 3-5 tomarrow.

whats been up Crimson?

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-13 18:53:25

Hasnt been much going on this last week we have been trying to get together that website so people can request reviews!Might i add masta how has your week been!

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-13 18:59:33

At 12/13/05 06:53 PM, CrimsonRocker wrote: Hasnt been much going on this last week we have been trying to get together that website so people can request reviews!Might i add masta how has your week been!

pretty lousy actually. I got the flu moving my grandmother into a new apartment. She was moving into an apartment in the very back of the 3rd floor of the building. It wasnt easy at all.

I cant wait until Christmas so I can get the damn computer parts and stay at home on my computer for new grounds. I seriously hope this week is better.

damn, I dont have enough time to respond to your next post, but see yah tomarrow. If you can, be on by 3'o clock.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-13 19:01:51

I will be on all day tommorow masta stalker im out of school till january 2 woot!Gosh am i happy i feel like a kid in a candy shop right know!

Im out of school for almost a month that is awesome!

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-14 01:17:33

At 12/12/05 09:12 PM, G-MAN490 wrote: nice rules, I'd just like to change the grading criteria.
I think I like having the score out of ten with decimals in .5 integers.

I think with a 1-5 system, it makes you think harder about what the game is really like, and helps people narrow down what they think is good and not.

It's alot more precise, I think. To me it seems like you're absolutely sure if you have a number 1-5 with no decimals. And 1-10 seems a little too broad.

But if I'm outvoted...aighty.

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-14 01:27:23

can i join?

sig by carmelhadinosaur

BBS Signature

Response to Video Game Review Crew 2005-12-14 17:38:39

At 12/14/05 01:17 AM, WoogieNoogie wrote:
At 12/12/05 09:12 PM, G-MAN490 wrote: nice rules, I'd just like to change the grading criteria.
I think I like having the score out of ten with decimals in .5 integers.
I think with a 1-5 system, it makes you think harder about what the game is really like, and helps people narrow down what they think is good and not.

I understand what your saying, usually I use a 1-10 with .5 because thats how I like to see games reviewed, that way you know a little more about what is expected. I think people can use whatever kind of system they like, you can use a 5 scale, and I'll use a 10.5 scale, and everyone else can use what they like, that way we're all happy. Uhm the ranking system is a bit confusing right now, I think it might need to be revised a little bit. tell you what, either tonight or tomorrow after school I'll make up a list of all the users and how many reviews they've made, from there we can go ahead and give everyone a job and a rank.
thanks,
-G.C.

BBS Signature