Respond to this Topic
Darkfire
Darkfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 14:40:02 Reply

:) Nice that some changes finally got made. Fresh stuff keeps the people coming.

RAVEN
RAVEN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 15:13:46 Reply

Hey...i've been worried about an issue i've been having for a long time. I'm not able to vote for movies. It doesn't work whatsoever. It always says that I've already voted for the movie when i haven't. Every single movie that I've tried to vote for hasn't worked. Does it have anything to do with my account being old...cuz I've been registered since like the year 2000. Hopefully I won't have to make a new account. Well...I g2g. Try to help me out Tom! Thanx a lot!

SONIClock
SONIClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 15:15:20 Reply

The new system sucks. It was better when you could see how a movie was doing, because back then people could work together. Now when I go to watch a movie, even if its meant to be blammed, it still gets a decent score. Sure, the whole grade thing for the artists and such are nice, since then you can see if its getting blammed for other reasons(like people blam clock movies constantly now, even though their really good).

the-unknown-soldier
the-unknown-soldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 15:16:16 Reply

Ummmm as well as seeing your own reviews (wich btw can be done by reply to this post, but you have to do it before its blammed) I'd also like the author to be able to see the score. Coz you can only vote once and whenever i submit a movie i check it like every 5 minutes! Can't do that anymore...maybe put it in grounds gold or something.

Also looking at voting results its seems movies are getting lower scores! that sux...like the dark aura thing. annyway its All good tom and thnx to liljim u legend

RAVEN
RAVEN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 15:22:33 Reply

Oh nevermind i just realized I made a mistake. It works now...I also realized the last time I voted was before the upgrades and before i re-formatted the computer. Sorry to make you waste your time reading that last post. My apologies.

RAVEN
RAVEN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 15:27:04 Reply

i agree with the unknown soldier. 2 out of 3 movies that i had were blammed in the past month...and i had one of those movies in the portal for like more than a year! wtf is up with that? and it sux too...cuz the only way i could view that movie was on newgrounds because my stupid computer got wiped out by a virus and my movie "psycho daddy", is now gone forever. and it took me a long time to make too! fuckin self-centered people who want their "dark aura". oh well.

the-unknown-soldier
the-unknown-soldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 15:27:24 Reply

i have made a lot of shitty movies to proove a points within the little review comm of newgrounds....all in good fun...will they count towards my score!?i mrean like a+ and all. i reckon only the ones that don't get blammed should!

lpove the new tank tom

fifthsurvivor
fifthsurvivor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 15:27:47 Reply

Umm .... hooray?

DarkJaymz
DarkJaymz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 15:48:35 Reply

Yes can ya tell us what that batting averg. is? What does it mean and what does it do?

bila
bila
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 16:24:14 Reply

At 12/4/02 10:07 AM, Mushroom_Clock wrote: Tom and Wade, you must confront the problem of anti-clock hate. This new system encourages people to vote 0 on any movie made by a clock. People assume that the score must be low becuase a clock made it. Tell everybody to stop! This is a major problem.

Another major problem is the "VOTE FIVEN", Where any movie made BY a clock is encouraged to get a five vote no matter how bad it may be. You, Mushroom Clock, would agree that this exists also.
I am not saying that some people don't discriminate against clocks, or that it is very wrong to discriminate. Just that some also claim to discriminate FOR clocks.

The current system favors viewing BEFORE voting, solving both problems nicely.
My opinion...some clock movies are good, some are not... JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE'S MOVIES

Portal Upgrades

Dobio
Dobio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 16:30:05 Reply

I like the new system, although now I have to watch shit movies, instead of just reading some reviews, but it also gives some movies that deserve to stay on NG a better chance, so blind voting is vanquished.

My only complaint about the site, is the popularity ratings/rankings. It's not a very good system, and I think that a "voting system in the profile" would be a better way of doing things...Just a thought, because a person who posts hentai in their profile, not mentioning any names though, and has a popularity in the 20's and doesn't do anything special, doesn't deserve to be there. Someone else, who actually is important to NG deserves to be there instead.

Still a world famous superstar.

Smokey-Chipmunk
Smokey-Chipmunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 16:43:13 Reply

I run Mac Os 10.1.5 and Internet Explorer 5.1 and everything runs just fine.

I would've read all the posts but the BBS still moves slow.

SpriteRemixClock
SpriteRemixClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 16:56:08 Reply

MAC users are having issues with the DHTML rollovers. Fixing this is a major priority. We can probably just disable the rollovers for MAC users

Thank you! I cant believe someone actually is reading my responses! As an avid mac user, I thank Newgrounds and hope that this problem with the rollovers is solved wickly and efficiently. Thank you, Mr. Fulp

nbh-old-movies
nbh-old-movies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 17:25:47 Reply

man its kinda bad for us animators cos were on the edge of our seats for votes and review and then it says making a fuckin judgement! but the portal looks kewl with the new rating thing.Musta taken ages!

MediaCore
MediaCore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 18:09:18 Reply

There is one thing I still do not like. When you submit a flash you are sitting there refreshing waitng until 100 have Voted. And yet you do not know when 100 have voted becuase you only see how many have Seen the flash. So my suggestion is to be able to see how many have voted. That be it! Otherwise gj liljimmy!... Tom Fulp! and all the rest of you crazy people!

MsHoneyBear
MsHoneyBear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 18:14:15 Reply

No problems here. Like I said before great idea. Hope you can fix all the bugs soon so other users can enjoy the "new" features

poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 18:33:12 Reply

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW IF THIS SYSTEM IS GOOD, HAVE A POLL IN A WEEK OR TWO, THEN YOU WILL SEE IF MOST OF THE PEOPLE LIKE IT OR NOT. (but you propably thought about already... you're so clever)

BBS Signature
Nostrant
Nostrant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 19:43:08 Reply

Excellent points. People who leave reviews have usually watched the movie anyways if they've put in the time to leave one, plus the reviews frequently don't reflect the votes anyways. Reviews also keep people aware of people like Dr_Pocket who like to submit a good/stolen movie to get their votes higher and then change it to a crappy movie they couldn't keep on the portal previously. The only way you find out about this is through reviews and once you alert NG they'll delete that movie but then the author does it again. Reviews need to be shown.

01SOL01
01SOL01
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 20:49:20 Reply

what problem?theres a problem?

Portal Upgrades

ac2539
ac2539
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 21:25:47 Reply

At 12/4/02 09:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: The changes we made to the Portal opened a whole new can of worms, but we have been scurrying to correct issues. Thanks again to LilJim for being so quick with the code. :)

There are concerns that you can't view your reviews and find out why your movie was blammed - we hope to address this soon so you can view the reviews of movies after they are deleted.

Users found alternative ways to view hidden scores (such as the search feature and "list all"). We have fixed each leak as we find it. If you find a way to do it, please let us know so we can keep the system secure.

MAC users are having issues with the DHTML rollovers. Fixing this is a major priority. We can probably just disable the rollovers for MAC users, but it would be nice to be able to still implement it. Anyone who is good with code can VIEW SOURCE on the Portal page and recommend adjustments. If someone can just send me a block of clean code that does the trick for all platforms, I will be mighty happy! It is all contained in a single function - it will be easy to find for anyone who knows what they are doing. :)

Please keep us informed of anything weird that you foresee as a problem with the new system.

A few days ago, someone sumbitted a movie, where if you watch it, it will automatically vote 5. The only way we could let people know was to review it. But now that we cant see reviews...if he does it again...he can get all 5's up to 100 VOtes

shazzam
shazzam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 22:23:41 Reply

tom, you said there was gonna be a massive upgrade, still waiting, and what the hell happened to pico 2?!?!?

Dwedit
Dwedit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Programmer
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 22:34:52 Reply

Use the URL http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/readreview.php3?id=##### to view reviews on any portal entry

creamyspy69
creamyspy69
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 22:37:33 Reply

I need to ask the question. What the FUCK does it matter if we see reviews or not? I like reading reviews and I don't want to waste my fucking time to review EVERY movie just to see the goddamn things. It's pure entertainment to read someone taking out their day of frustration on some hapless young shit who decided to submit, "Goku VS. The Biggest Cock You Have Ever Seen". I think all the shit that deserved to get blammed got blammed. If it was actually GOOD it would have been protected. I've never seen a really good flash blammed.

SLIKK
SLIKK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 23:44:22 Reply

Good updates i like them.

Portal Upgrades

Its-All-Good
Its-All-Good
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-04 23:53:53 Reply

I like the new voting system, but I also agree that the makers of the video should be able to see the reviews - like in thier Account or something. keep up the good work

<deleted>
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-05 00:16:50 Reply

J'Js Figthing fun stuff and cools.break it!

Portal Upgrades

RKO420
RKO420
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-05 01:18:49 Reply

New Grounds Is Fucking Awesome!!

Portal Upgrades

indent
indent
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-05 01:34:48 Reply

You can read all the reviews after you post yours. So just post "good job" and see what other people are saying about it.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

BBS Signature
lil-Ginny
lil-Ginny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-05 01:35:55 Reply

Hey tom & wade:

What if you put the reviews on but without the numbers?

oh wait... people whould just read them like

"blam this movie"
ok I will blam this movie.

Disregard my rambling
finals and all.... wooo christmas is comming..

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................

evilshark27
evilshark27
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades 2002-12-05 03:51:32 Reply

Cool