TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 09:20 AM Reply

The changes we made to the Portal opened a whole new can of worms, but we have been scurrying to correct issues. Thanks again to LilJim for being so quick with the code. :)

There are concerns that you can't view your reviews and find out why your movie was blammed - we hope to address this soon so you can view the reviews of movies after they are deleted.

Users found alternative ways to view hidden scores (such as the search feature and "list all"). We have fixed each leak as we find it. If you find a way to do it, please let us know so we can keep the system secure.

MAC users are having issues with the DHTML rollovers. Fixing this is a major priority. We can probably just disable the rollovers for MAC users, but it would be nice to be able to still implement it. Anyone who is good with code can VIEW SOURCE on the Portal page and recommend adjustments. If someone can just send me a block of clean code that does the trick for all platforms, I will be mighty happy! It is all contained in a single function - it will be easy to find for anyone who knows what they are doing. :)

Please keep us informed of anything weird that you foresee as a problem with the new system.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TheBigDawg
TheBigDawg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 09:31 AM Reply

Am I the first to comment?

TheBigDawg
TheBigDawg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 09:31 AM Reply

I am! YAY! I LOVE NEWGROUNDS!

angstdrillhead
angstdrillhead
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 09:32 AM Reply

Okay! yeah I kinda do agree! so people are kinda forced to watch it in order to watch!

Fat peice of shit goes out with the girl I love-1999 Fat masculine looking bitch stalker squeals on me at work-2004 Rude Paramedics traumatized me with Hypnophobia-2006

BBS Signature
angstdrillhead
angstdrillhead
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 09:33 AM Reply

vote I mean!

Fat peice of shit goes out with the girl I love-1999 Fat masculine looking bitch stalker squeals on me at work-2004 Rude Paramedics traumatized me with Hypnophobia-2006

BBS Signature
zoro
zoro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 09:43 AM Reply

I like the new system the whole shabang looks very promising. Just one question.

What the is this Batting average?

Batting average: 2.65 / 5.00 (C+) does this mean I suck? ...probably...

Potheadeus
Potheadeus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 09:46 AM Reply

I tried to, but I couldn't get the score to show.Seems good now. Keep making changes to the portal!

Narcissus
Narcissus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Animator
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 09:59 AM Reply

At 12/4/02 09:43 AM, zoro wrote: Batting average: 2.65 / 5.00 (C+) does this mean I suck? ...probably...

It looks like the score is just a letter grade correlating to the 5-point score. C=2, C+=2.5, B=3, B+=3.5, A=4+

I noticed that even the top 50 animators (those with 3 or more, I have 2 for example) all have B+ (I should hopefully be on that list as soon as I finish 'Qi' ) :)

Narcissus
Narcissus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Animator
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 10:03 AM Reply

I absolutely love the new system, BTW. I no longer feel like I am just plugging away at scores to get points. Plus, it seems the entries stay on the list longer now, so I do not miss 5 minutes and find 10 entries already BLAMed. Before it was easy to just look at the score, reviews and vote away. I know this will be quite to my advantage when I start posting work again after my 2-year hiatus (I have been away too damn long).

Mushroom-Clock
Mushroom-Clock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 10:07 AM Reply

Tom and Wade, you must confront the problem of anti-clock hate. This new system encourages people to vote 0 on any movie made by a clock. People assume that the score must be low becuase a clock made it. Tell everybody to stop! This is a major problem.

WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 10:47 AM Reply

At 12/4/02 10:07 AM, Mushroom_Clock wrote: Tom and Wade, you must confront the problem of anti-clock hate. This new system encourages people to vote 0 on any movie made by a clock. People assume that the score must be low becuase a clock made it. Tell everybody to stop! This is a major problem.

This is a problem we probably can't do much about. It's the Clock Crew's fault for letting any dumb ass idiot into their organization. I used to tell them all the time they shouldn't allow people into their group that don't live up to a certain type of conduct. Since they never wanted to be strict with who's a clock and who isn't I wasn't able to help control who's a clock and who isn't on Newgrounds. So their organization has been tarnished by certain people. That's the breaks. If it's that big a deal for you, maybe you should drop the clock name. If I belonged to a group and certain people in my group did embarrassing things and the leaders of the group failed to kick them out, I would leave that group.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER
Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK
Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
DuMa-RyoHahn
DuMa-RyoHahn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 10:56 AM Reply

Sweet, Although I can still get around it. And NO I am not a hacker. My 6 year old bro pointed it out yesterday and it is still there. That's funny

lil-Ginny
lil-Ginny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 10:57 AM Reply

So true.

there are some good clock crew animators, and a bunch of what i call "BandwagonClocks" who think that if they make some crappy animation just becuse they are a "clock" all the other clocks will vote high and save their work on NG.

Btw... what sorta stuff do people with films on NG get? do they get bounus secret stuff? just curious.

cashuu
cashuu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 11:06 AM Reply

to tom i like new grounds but i dont like the new portal display where the status of the game pops up when you put your curser over it!!!!!!

ALSO why is there no new games 4 assassin? it used to be the back bone of this site why has it become void?

and where is pico 2?????

R6K
R6K
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 11:09 AM Reply

rtgf

CokeAddicT
CokeAddicT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 11:15 AM Reply

I really like the changes made for the portal.. no more impulse voting for me.. fair play for animators coz u got to watch it to vote.. great job guys..

CokeAddicT
CokeAddicT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 11:18 AM Reply

btw.. the tank man(you know, the dude in the tank?).. does he have a name or somethin'? nice blue snowy background for the hols too..

CaptainBob
CaptainBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 11:45 AM Reply

Everytime you guys implement new code the Mac users are screwed hahaha....should teach them to buy a real computer. Anyway..the change is great, people actually have to watch the movies, which is the whole point of NG. Artists won't feel like they are getting cheated (unless they suck of course). The only thing is that the BC Targetmasters have a much harder job hehe...

UNITE THE CLANS | space cheese | RG podcasts | also cocks

BBS Signature
bartard
bartard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 11:49 AM Reply

The portal works on MAC if you use Netscape rather then Microsoft Internet Explorer but thats still sucks because Netscape is crap.

random-scribble
random-scribble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 11:52 AM Reply

one thing... i like the new system and all, but you know when a film used to be on the verge of death? and it came up with a red background on the portal? isn't that kinda redundant now, if you're not allowed to see the score? or if it still works, then it kinda gives away the score. i'm guessing it doesn't work any more, but you still have something on the portal front page saying about it.

limacat
limacat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 12:06 PM Reply

I understand the technicalities, but I don't like the
reviews being put aside. :(

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 12:09 PM Reply

At 12/4/02 11:52 AM, random_scribble wrote: one thing... i like the new system and all, but you know when a film used to be on the verge of death? and it came up with a red background on the portal? isn't that kinda redundant now, if you're not allowed to see the score? or if it still works, then it kinda gives away the score. i'm guessing it doesn't work any more, but you still have something on the portal front page saying about it.

Movies still turn red, but only if they have over 90 votes and nothing can really save them from a BLAM. At this point, it is just a feeding frenzy for anyone who is there. :)

-Tom

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
shade-v2
shade-v2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 12:14 PM Reply

I'm going to say what I said in response to the last post about the Portal updates again because it seems that those first 25 posts are the ones most often read.

Ya'll cannot leave the review system the way it is. I understand not allowing votes to be seen or accessed and I'm all for it, but hiding reviews until the 100 vote check point is ridiculous.

It's going to make the number of reviews an author recieves dwindle, it keeps newgrounds users from communicating with each other and possibly keeping one another from clicking on a destructive swf, and it's completely unnecessesary.

I, as an author and a viewer cannot stand that y'all would blind users from one another. Half the entertainment of watching a horrible movie is scrolling through the reviews - and you have to know that if I don't have that feature when I first visit the movie, I probably won't be coming back in an hour to check on it again.

My first post was slightly more elequent but I hate to repeat myself so this one is rushed.

None the less, I plee with you -- PUT THE REVIEW SYSTEM BACK THE WAY IT WAS!

Thanks for your consideration.

archwimil
archwimil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 12:15 PM Reply

I'm still waiting (it's a week now) for the user profiles.

fourdaddy
fourdaddy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 12:27 PM Reply

hahahaha mac users, like aol users, need to just go mainstream and use the stuff that works with everything...MICROSOFT! all yor ass r blong to bill gates!

R6K
R6K
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 12:35 PM Reply

what means whit popylarity on the public profile

Narcissus
Narcissus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Animator
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 12:36 PM Reply

At 12/4/02 12:14 PM, shade_v2 wrote: It's going to make the number of reviews an author recieves dwindle, it keeps newgrounds users from communicating with each other and possibly keeping one another from clicking on a destructive swf, and it's completely unnecessesary.

Totally agreed. I had mentioned earlier that reviews help point out stolen movies. I had forgotten about browser traps.

I have never based my vote solely on reviews. I always check all the reviews before voting. If five in a row say "STOLEN" or "CRASHES BROWSER!" I know something is arwy. Otherwise, I view the movie and vote accordingly.

I know it is a double-edged sword, but I feel showing reviews more beneficial than not showing them. Unless someone is willing and able to field emails/alerts to stolen/security-risk movies and actually do something about them in a prompt manner?

thespook
thespook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 12:50 PM Reply

Let's get this straight... you boys can put a man on the moon but you can't get rid of those 30 odd entries that have already been deleted and yet are still displayed?

linde50
linde50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 01:59 PM Reply

when i miss a category when i vote it says somthing like "you must fill in all the categorys"
so i re-do it and then summit it and it says i already voted on this movie
when i hit the link it shows what i just voted so does it still post the vote even if you dont fill in all the categorys

Taxman2A
Taxman2A
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Upgrades Dec. 4th, 2002 @ 02:09 PM Reply

Tom, Grade on a curve please!

The top batting averages on the portal, like LegendaryFrog, only have a B+ grade... as a matter of fact, YOU only have a B-!!!
Why don't you make it so its actually possible to get an A? After all, I know some A+ flash artists who contribute to this site!!!