Be a Supporter!

The Philosophy Crew

  • 39,653 Views
  • 926 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
SalRemo
SalRemo
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to The Philosophy Crew Apr. 7th, 2012 @ 11:04 PM Reply

At 4/5/12 12:02 AM, Scarface wrote:
At 4/4/12 07:22 AM, SalRemo wrote: My question is, do you think that it is possible for a human to think of something that doesn't exist or that we don't know exists yet?
Absolutely. It's difficult, because you can only think using what you know, and if you use something that already exists as a reference too much, you may 're-invent' something, so to speak. However, that's how things get invented; people taking what they know and thinking of something new. It could be a machine, a tool, anything.

It's interesting that you put it that way, however, I have a slightly different opinion. I like to think that everything that we could possibly think of, no matter how abstract it may be, can only be made of compound ideas that we already have. But this is a vague question to begin with because people have different ideas about what counts as "something that doesn't exist". For example, purple elephants with wings don't exist, however I would say that this does not satisfy the question because we already know what purple is, what an elephant is, what wings are, and what all the things that make up an elephant are, and we already know that those things exist. So, following my crazy opinion, is there any way that we could possibly think of something that doesn't exist?

Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Member since: Apr. 11, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Writer
Response to The Philosophy Crew Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 05:33 PM Reply

Imagining (creating) novel realities is possible in a relative sense.

In fact, it's the only thing we can do from a relative point of view.

It's a matter of altering the frames/contexts of apprehension (what are we apprehending but ourselves?), or in other words altering ourselves. Everything alters us, thus our reality is always novel, even when bits of our patterns seem to match previous patterns (because the greater pattern is dynamic in all states; transient and ever changing).

In an absolute sense, however, all possibility is expressed at once, concurrently, including all subjectively novel options. it adds up to the same balance no matter how you shape it.

Thus is my thinking.


NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...
MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...
Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to The Philosophy Crew Apr. 15th, 2012 @ 06:26 PM Reply

1. jjjkuk

2. 18

3. 22/10

4. I like being in the presence of not stupid people and having intelligent conversations about life and existence and shit.

Here's a quick idea to discuss: as animals, we have "survival of the fittest" built into us. However, developed as we are, we like to assist others. Why? I know that some animals work in packs, but what is the real reason why we all do this?
I think it's for security and not being enemies with others so we can survive a bit easier through alliances. Nothing to do because you like them. Although, mating is another reason.


This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Member since: Apr. 11, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Writer
Response to The Philosophy Crew Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 03:59 PM Reply

At 4/15/12 06:26 PM, jjjkuk wrote: Here's a quick idea to discuss: as animals, we have "survival of the fittest" built into us. However, developed as we are, we like to assist others. Why?

One school of thought says that we like to propagate organisms with similar genes to us; Therefore racism etc. has a genetic basis.

Another school of thought is that we have an affinity for our own species because, like you said, it's easier to survive with help. I don't think there's much to argue about this one; it's self-apparent.

I think that a lot of it has to do with higher brain function; now that we have the capacity to think before we act it occurs to us that we're just different faces of the same god.


NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...
MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...
Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature
AngryBombshell
AngryBombshell
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew May. 3rd, 2012 @ 02:41 PM Reply

Took a few courses in Philosophy on reasoning and moral issues when I was away at college.

I admit I was a huge noob to the subject so I didn't know what to expect. Everything in philo seems to be centered around the structuring of an argument. Not to say it wasn't for me, it just wasn't what I expected.

Philosophy is a noble college subject, just forget it if you plan on having an occupation in the field.

i-am-ghey
i-am-ghey
  • Member since: Mar. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Melancholy
Response to The Philosophy Crew May. 6th, 2012 @ 02:53 PM Reply

At 4/4/12 07:22 AM, SalRemo wrote: My question is, do you think that it is possible for a human to think of something that doesn't exist or that we don't know exists yet?

of course it is possible. example: perfect sphere. there is no such thing as a perfect sphere in the real world because there are bound to be defects or impurities in nature. in fact, this can be analysed mathematically but i won't go into the details.

we can easily think of an object falling under the action of gravity because we have the experience. but it is equally easy to think of real numbers, which are abstract. there is no such thing as a real number in nature, but we can associate a number, say 27.5 with actual measurements (such as length or temperature...)

in my opinion, we can never get to describe and understand the world without creating these abtract objects in the first place. if i just say it is hot outside, it is very hard for people to know exactly how hot it is. when i say it is 30 degree celcius hot, everyone will have the rough idea how hot it is.


^Just another nonsensical forum post.^

Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Member since: Apr. 11, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Writer
Response to The Philosophy Crew May. 8th, 2012 @ 01:46 PM Reply

At 5/3/12 02:41 PM, AngryBombshell wrote: Everything in philo seems to be centered around the structuring of an argument. Not to say it wasn't for me, it just wasn't what I expected.

That's a good observation. That structure is seemingly quite limited, no?

It's valid in its own way, however one must learn to see beyond such constructs before actually achieving the understandings which they lead to.

I guess it's just a function of duality, really: That mind must oppose itself to unify with an idea.


NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...
MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...
Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature
Chocomilk
Chocomilk
  • Member since: Jul. 25, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Reader
Response to The Philosophy Crew May. 13th, 2012 @ 04:19 AM Reply

At 4/4/12 07:22 AM, SalRemo wrote: My question is, do you think that it is possible for a human to think of something that doesn't exist or that we don't know exists yet?

I believe that everything we think is based on what we know, and everything we know is based on what we've learned from other people. So basically, the basis of every idea we've ever had is from what somebody else thought.

A trend setter isn't being original by being different, they're using the basic idea of being unique to do something nobody else does. And they learned to be unique from somewhere, right?

No, we cannot think of something that doesn't exist because every thought we have is somehow connected to a thought somebody else had.


BBS Signature
Insanctuary
Insanctuary
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew May. 13th, 2012 @ 08:51 AM Reply

1. Insanctuary
2.19
3.Nov.4
4. I wish to join, for my ideas are treated as if they were my own children and I wish for my children and I to set a natural example for all.


You do not make examples, you make excuses; you do not solve problems, you shift problems; you do not stand behind your statements, you stand behind your stasis.

Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Member since: Apr. 11, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Writer
Response to The Philosophy Crew May. 14th, 2012 @ 12:03 AM Reply

At 5/13/12 08:51 AM, Insanctuary wrote: 1. Insanctuary
2.19
3.Nov.4
4. I wish to join, for my ideas are treated as if they were my own children and I wish for my children and I to set a natural example for all.

Always cherish the gift that is your own perception. It is perfect, regardless of the context in which it is apprehended.


NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...
MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...
Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature
koswhippasnappa
koswhippasnappa
  • Member since: Oct. 25, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew May. 14th, 2012 @ 12:12 AM Reply

the longest sense of man was always the feeling of belonging, which he or she belonged to a group was completely alone, one must always feel the real sense of being one with everything we touch or know for we are the little masters of our own realm and can control what we see as true and false. man must always strive to be a better sense of what is around its host. those who turn a blind eye to this common fact is thus blind to everything the host is belonging to.

Insanctuary
Insanctuary
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew May. 14th, 2012 @ 04:31 PM Reply

At 5/14/12 12:03 AM, Lagerkapo wrote:

Always cherish the gift that is your own perception. It is perfect, regardless of the context in which it is apprehended.

I never believed in a personal perception. I chose to see for the world. Life sees for me and unravels itself on its own terms. My physical eyes are nothing more but the experiencer.


You do not make examples, you make excuses; you do not solve problems, you shift problems; you do not stand behind your statements, you stand behind your stasis.

Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Member since: Apr. 11, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Writer
Response to The Philosophy Crew May. 15th, 2012 @ 08:38 PM Reply

At 5/14/12 04:31 PM, Insanctuary wrote:
At 5/14/12 12:03 AM, Lagerkapo wrote:

Always cherish the gift that is your own perception. It is perfect, regardless of the context in which it is apprehended.
I never believed in a personal perception. I chose to see for the world. Life sees for me and unravels itself on its own terms. My physical eyes are nothing more but the experiencer.

Absolute is not relative... But relativity is absolutely.

As passive as your senses may appear to be, your will makes them as they are. Whether we have free will or simply the semblance of free will seems to me irrelevant because we experience things either way from a subjective perspective. Both sets of eyes are ways to meet the perfection of manifest reality.


NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...
MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...
Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature
Insanctuary
Insanctuary
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew May. 16th, 2012 @ 10:07 PM Reply

At 5/15/12 08:38 PM, Lagerkapo wrote:
At 5/14/12 04:31 PM, Insanctuary wrote:
At 5/14/12 12:03 AM, Lagerkapo wrote:

Always cherish the gift that is your own perception. It is perfect, regardless of the context in which it is apprehended.
I never believed in a personal perception. I chose to see for the world. Life sees for me and unravels itself on its own terms. My physical eyes are nothing more but the experiencer.
Absolute is not relative... But relativity is absolutely.

You think that we create our own absolution? We only create a pseudo absolution.

As passive as your senses may appear to be, your will makes them as they are. Whether we have free will or simply the semblance of free will seems to me irrelevant because we experience things either way from a subjective perspective. Both sets of eyes are ways to meet the perfection of manifest reality.

Physical eyes only see the external world. It is our ability to manifest information from the artifacts of this external world that truly defines itself.


You do not make examples, you make excuses; you do not solve problems, you shift problems; you do not stand behind your statements, you stand behind your stasis.

koswhippasnappa
koswhippasnappa
  • Member since: Oct. 25, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Dec. 13th, 2012 @ 03:39 AM Reply

love and hate are very strong reasons of living, and explore. those willing to feel life and be willing to take life and manafest in your person, are those willing to be life. be allowed to have all they joy hate. and sorrow that the world has to offer. my friends. my fellows on the world grid, we are all the one and the same, hosting different body, different lessons on the great universe. we are all createing our on world by god. no one could every paint,. draw or take a picture of the world going on, its every change, its ever loving its ever hating we are all lessons to ourselfs about what life is. keep learning, keep hating, keep loving and most of all allow yourself to live through life and all of its wonders newgrounds. have a great day and hope you learn something new everyday for learning makes your day

Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Member since: Apr. 11, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Writer
Response to The Philosophy Crew Dec. 14th, 2012 @ 01:55 PM Reply

At 12/13/12 03:39 AM, koswhippasnappa wrote: love and hate are very strong reasons of living, and explore. those willing to feel life and be willing to take life and manafest in your person, are those willing to be life. be allowed to have all they joy hate. and sorrow that the world has to offer. my friends. my fellows on the world grid, we are all the one and the same, hosting different body, different lessons on the great universe. we are all createing our on world by god. no one could every paint,. draw or take a picture of the world going on, its every change, its ever loving its ever hating we are all lessons to ourselfs about what life is. keep learning, keep hating, keep loving and most of all allow yourself to live through life and all of its wonders newgrounds. have a great day and hope you learn something new everyday for learning makes your day

Experiencing our reality is everything. Denying oneself the truth and raw reality of one's experience, and neglecting to love, appreciate and hold gratitude for every bit of it, is denying one's very gift and privilege as the living and manifest body of god. It is cruel in every way to attempt to hide anything in the shadows of ignorance and denial, for yourself or for another.

Reality is extreme, it is rage and hate and spite, odium, nefandous and terrible. It is joy, love, insight, beauty, sublime contentedness. It is all of it.

And all of it is perfect, in its own place. It is only denial which causes anything to seem wrong.


NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...
MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...
Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature
ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to The Philosophy Crew Dec. 16th, 2012 @ 12:46 PM Reply

- Zip Zipper
- 21
- 12/7
- Just want to be a part of something I like to talk about...and perhaps read and read and read for days. My religiophilosophy is existential nihilism. It's like the cheapest way to explain everything.

Wimpy wimpy wimpy.

BBS Signature
Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Member since: Apr. 11, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Writer
Response to The Philosophy Crew Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 03:31 PM Reply

At 12/16/12 12:46 PM, ZipZipper wrote: - Zip Zipper
- 21
- 12/7
- Just want to be a part of something I like to talk about...and perhaps read and read and read for days. My religiophilosophy is existential nihilism. It's like the cheapest way to explain everything.
Wimpy wimpy wimpy.

How does existential nihilism work? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.


NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...
MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...
Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature
Confucianism
Confucianism
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to The Philosophy Crew Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 03:54 PM Reply

At 12/18/12 03:31 PM, Lagerkapo wrote: How does existential nihilism work? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Well the thing about Existentialism is *Clears throat* that you need to read a book or two about it like I did to figure that one out.


BBS Signature
ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to The Philosophy Crew Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 05:32 PM Reply

At 12/18/12 03:31 PM, Lagerkapo wrote: How does existential nihilism work? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

To me, it's plainly the belief that all existence and all things within existence are insignificant and have no intrinsic value. I tend to take this view in a pessimistic way, which is what it immediately comes off as obviously. So because of that, it seems hypocritical to even declare such an idea for it goes against all thought itself; why even think if there's no point in thinking? But, you could also look at it in an optimistic light. If life really has no unique purpose, then what's to stop you from doing anything you want? You'd really have no limit to your ideas or actions, since at the end of the day it doesn't amount to anything of a higher meaning.

I think what keeps such people from falling into suicidal madness is the immediate pleasure received from "humoring" all actions done in existence, but still knowing that the grand scheme of things is that there is no grand scheme. I find comfort in knowing that life is simply a circus performance, where we all can act as much a fool as we want and get away with it. We're in sandbox mode...do we accomplish anything by endlessly deciphering child's play?


BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to The Philosophy Crew Dec. 19th, 2012 @ 01:42 AM Reply

Are we all born with different personalities? Or are we molded by our environment and our peers?


For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Confucianism
Confucianism
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to The Philosophy Crew Dec. 19th, 2012 @ 05:30 AM Reply

At 12/19/12 01:42 AM, Cootie wrote: Are we all born with different personalities? Or are we molded by our environment and our peers?

Both. Don't get people to answer simple questions you already know the answer to.


BBS Signature
Confucianism
Confucianism
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to The Philosophy Crew Dec. 19th, 2012 @ 05:40 AM Reply

At 12/19/12 01:42 AM, Cootie wrote: Are we all born with different personalities? Or are we molded by our environment and our peers?

And this isn't even philosophy! It's sociological science.


BBS Signature
Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Member since: Apr. 11, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Writer
Response to The Philosophy Crew Dec. 19th, 2012 @ 01:40 PM Reply

At 12/18/12 03:54 PM, Confucianism wrote:
At 12/18/12 03:31 PM, Lagerkapo wrote: How does existential nihilism work? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.
Well the thing about Existentialism is *Clears throat* that you need to read a book or two about it like I did to figure that one out.

I have a cursory and probably incomplete definition of it. My question is about how nihilism, the belief that all of reality is a non-existent illusion, and existentialism, the belief that the individual experience is the meter of reality, do not contradict one-another.

"I do not exist, however I still experience myself as a locus of manifestation/experience/whatever. I must be deluded. This cannot be happening, none of it can be happening. Because I cannot fathom it, therefore it is not real. I, it, none of it exists, yet I'm still steadfastly and concurrently experiencing this firm conviction, deeply and truly that nothing actually exists, even this experience which I am having right fucking now."

Oxymoron.

How does existential nihilism work? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.
To me, it's plainly the belief that all existence and all things within existence are insignificant and have no intrinsic value. I tend to take this view in a pessimistic way, which is what it immediately comes off as obviously. So because of that, it seems hypocritical to even declare such an idea for it goes against all thought itself; why even think if there's no point in thinking? But, you could also look at it in an optimistic light. If life really has no unique purpose, then what's to stop you from doing anything you want? You'd really have no limit to your ideas or actions, since at the end of the day it doesn't amount to anything of a higher meaning.

Sounds like you're entertaining different possibilities (meaningfulness/meaninglessness, substantiality/insubstantiality of the manifest/experienced) and don't particularly have a clear idea of the definitions you are trying to achieve. It's OK; that's the infinite endeavor of the manifest individual; it does not end, just achieves progressively and perpetually better harmonics.

The issue I have with nihilism is that it aims at the limitless, non-attached existence which is at our core, is our very nature in one respect, but through the guise of nonexistence as opposed to non-concrete-existence. I am not a Buddhist, but I attend a Buddhist university and study Buddhism in depth. As such, I am as firm a believer (and, in meditative experience, beholder; I have had direct experiences of at least a cursory level of Shunyata [emptiness] and Alaya [undifferentiated awareness]) of the underlying, undifferentiated emptiness, luminosity and universality of the absolute or primordial essence which pervades and perpetuates all form, motion and experience, where there is no self or relativity, yet in every infinite/esimal microcosm is the whole of possible differentiation.

As such, however, the aspect of emptiness is not that of nothingness.

"I think therefore I am," or, even, "Experience is had, therefore something exists (although it may not be, at its innermost essence, as I perceive and differentiate it to be)," removing the trappings of "I" from the statement, notwithstanding the inherent limitations of temporal, causal, referential and sequential linguistics in speaking of undifferentiated and primordial essence. Yes, the profession of the nature of your experience, beliefs held therewithin, or assertions about anything at all are inherent contradictions to the idea of nihilism; namely, how does one pretend that they don't exist? The act of existence preempts the truth of such a pretending, and in fact presupposes the creative impetus which allows it. Nihilism seems to me a tragic misinterpretation of our true nature as the non-self/self continuity of timeless consciousness in its infinity of possibility and a renunciation of one's birthright and nature as a creator in the infinity of creation, as one which fulfills the necessary function of manifestor which gives the essence of creation the ability to experience itself.


I think what keeps such people from falling into suicidal madness is the immediate pleasure received from "humoring" all actions done in existence, but still knowing that the grand scheme of things is that there is no grand scheme. I find comfort in knowing that life is simply a circus performance, where we all can act as much a fool as we want and get away with it. We're in sandbox mode...do we accomplish anything by endlessly deciphering child's play?

In a respect I wholeheartedly respect and in a way identify with what you're saying: We are creators, creating out of the universal essence that which we experience, experiencing all that we choose and limited only by laws which are unfathomable within the realm of limitation/form/experience. We can do anything, anything at all, which we can fathom.

The problem I have is that instead of it all being meaningless because it is all on equal footing as the manifold variances of the infinite specifications of the unmanifest, borne of individuation and reference, the divine and singular reference in its unending yet singularly complete (ever changing, paradoxical only to the limited apprehension of logic and reason, of dualistic and limited references, yet simultaneously and intrinsically complete in its being as such, as it is in and of itself without the restriction of relative reference and apprehension) variance, instead because it is all on equal footing it is all decisively and precisely meaningful.

I agree that meaning is applied, an interpretation and reference, reflective, at best indicative of, but not completely an embodiment of that which is referenced, but whether or not anything is meaningful (intrinsically or extrinsically, inherent or applied) reality exists. Nihilism, to me, is escapism without substance, the endeavor to renounce the gift of experience and manifestation with which each individual is provided without any reference to the underlying nature thereof; namely that we are the body of God and that we are the intermediary (able to apprehend both) between absolute and relative.

In my own personal genesis one of the most terrifying and substantial ideas (and, in fact, realizations and epiphanies) that I've encountered is that we are, in fact, living in a truly present moment, the exact threshold and boundary of existence, manifest and otherwise, and that as such we are genuinely creating the here and the now without fate, destiny, preordination of any sort or any other guidance than that which is intrinsic to our being and universal and all-pervasive in its subtle, gossamer presence, but which does not tell us where to go and instead shows us where we CAN go.

This is also the most empowering realization. You are a creator, creating reality, making form of the formless and guided not by absolutes or negations, neither by the fated nor the nihilistic, but by the genuinely beautiful gift of individual expression amongst the infinitely varied realms of possibility.

With the realization that you are as real as you are not, that form and emptiness are one and the same, that all is connected and independent simultaneously, with the unification and resolution of all paradoxes (which occurs not in logical, referential, concrete or indicative terms, but instead in the realm of direct experience, the threshold and moreover the apprehension therethrough of the polarities surrounding and substantiating it as transformation embodied [in that the concrete must undergo the plastic in order to embody transformation and the same in reverse]) then you may begin to glimpse freedom. Freedom is not the lack of rules, or the inconsequentiality of experience, but the complete and total embodiment through understanding of all that one can be, is, has been and does.

Nihilism is the abandonment of realization; Embodiment is the embrace thereof. Escape, if you will, but know that it will not bring you unto the truth of things.


NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...
MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...
Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature
Kwing
Kwing
  • Member since: Jul. 24, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to The Philosophy Crew Dec. 25th, 2012 @ 12:22 PM Reply

At 12/19/12 01:40 PM, Lagerkapo wrote: lots

Wow, you sure take a long time to say nothing. I just came into this thread and basically got bodyslammed by your wall of text. As I've just come to this thread now, I'll just give my two cents on the matter.

Nihilism seems to be a very solid truth to me. Saying that nothing has any value is semi-factual, in that you are acknowledging that value itself is only an idea or perception. What's important or sacred is completely subjective to peoples' perceptions. Even if God existed and was omnipotent, his rules, however powerfully they were enforced, would still only be his opinion.

Of course, saying that everything is without value could also be interpreted as an opinion. If you believe that everything has a value of [zero] then you are expressing a certain agreement that value exists. If value doesn't exist, then things can't be valuable but they can't be valueless either. They just ARE. If we are to study the way this world is and separate ourselves from cultural standards, the best thing to do is try and look at it from the perspective of an animal who has no cultural background. Nothing means anything, it just IS.

I've also seen it brought up that we may or may not 'exist'. I think this is a ridiculous idea. Everything exists. If something were to not exist, we would not be able to observe its lack of existence, because observing it call it into existence. Even if the universe doesn't exist as some kind of physical environment independent from our perceptions, it still exists. People can say that the world is an illusion, but I say that an illusion has to be created in the image of a reality. So if this isn't reality, where is it?

- -

Finally, to bring a new topic to the surface, I'd like to share something that I've been thinking about recently. Our ideas of progress are very societal. Especially in post-industrial Western society, we have this idea of creating more social equality. The recent past of American history has been very centered on helping make people of all races, religions, genders, and sexualities equal. As such, we hold this belief that these problems in the world need to be fixed.

Similarly, our culture has a lot of rags-to-riches stories, and our monetary system encourages people to try and get ahead in any way they can, as our currency is a universal privilege to material goods and services of all kinds. Ultimately, this society was built in such a way to motivate us. Work leads to progress leads to fulfillment.

I believe that this attitude comes from us living in cold environments as hunter-gatherers. As winter approached, a certain amount of technological progress was required for us to continue to survive. Clothing, shelter, and methods of preserving food were important tools.

In contrast, many tribal cultures in tropical climates live as they are, with no intention of creating some kind of lasting culture, no desire to create societal rules beyond what is absolutely necessary, no drive to advance technologically or change anything, and in general live quite lawlessly. The resources these people have, despite not ALWAYS being enough, are usually plentiful. If you can find one of something, there's always plenty more. The film The Gods Must Be Crazy is an excellent example of how our technology compares to their lack of it.

Having the opinion that progress is really only a concept, I frankly see no reason to do anything. Why do we have to live our lives at all? Why seek any sort of enlightenment or inner peace?


If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Member since: Apr. 11, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Writer
Response to The Philosophy Crew Dec. 28th, 2012 @ 06:05 PM Reply

At 12/25/12 12:22 PM, Kwing wrote:
At 12/19/12 01:40 PM, Lagerkapo wrote: lots
Wow, you sure take a long time to say nothing. I just came into this thread and basically got bodyslammed by your wall of text. As I've just come to this thread now, I'll just give my two cents on the matter.

Verbosity is not a problem for me, but it will sometimes present an obstacle to those who do not wish to sift through it.


Nihilism seems to be a very solid truth to me. Saying that nothing has any value is semi-factual, in that you are acknowledging that value itself is only an idea or perception. What's important or sacred is completely subjective to peoples' perceptions. Even if God existed and was omnipotent, his rules, however powerfully they were enforced, would still only be his opinion.

Quite. All designations of worth, value, meaning etcetera are arbitrary. This is not worth disputing because it is the fact of it. However "God" as I refer to it is not an entity, a personality of a "creator," but instead the creative impulse, the impetus which has created manifestation, form and reference. It is not a dogma but instead an intrinsic aspect of all that is; that which leads to fulfillment through realization of itself.

Of course, saying that everything is without value could also be interpreted as an opinion. If you believe that everything has a value of [zero] then you are expressing a certain agreement that value exists. If value doesn't exist, then things can't be valuable but they can't be valueless either. They just ARE. If we are to study the way this world is and separate ourselves from cultural standards, the best thing to do is try and look at it from the perspective of an animal who has no cultural background. Nothing means anything, it just IS.

Again I agree, to a point. Value is a referential designation; in the eyes of the absolute there is no reference point but instead the whole of all at once, without reference or differentiation. However, we live in a world of differentiation and meaning, wherein one must, no matter how one strives to fulfill the absolute, make designations, discernments and judgements. As such, it seems to me that the highest judgement is that which embodies the absolute yet retains the relativity of individual existence within that context so as to bring to light the manifest form of oneself and one's existence and function in the light of that intrinsically applied and universal self-of-being which in and of itself has no self or being aside from the limited frames of those selves who embody it yet do not encapsulate it. The meaning lies in the realization and the further embodiment thereof through the realized frame. The meaning is to seek the truth as it is Embodied.

To see the threshold of eternity in its subjective mystery and to behold and manifest the singular and complete form of one's individual aspect in light of it yet not to abandon or cling to either.


I've also seen it brought up that we may or may not 'exist'. I think this is a ridiculous idea. Everything exists. If something were to not exist, we would not be able to observe its lack of existence, because observing it call it into existence. Even if the universe doesn't exist as some kind of physical environment independent from our perceptions, it still exists. People can say that the world is an illusion, but I say that an illusion has to be created in the image of a reality. So if this isn't reality, where is it?

Of course we exist. Thus, I disagree with nihilism. This is one of those very precious few facts which is wholly self-evident. It needs no justification or poise of explanation. As existent beings we create meaning through the reference to our realities and as such meaning is a function of creation, an expression of the possibilities of the "absolute" which begets the creation, and, of course, nothing absolute in and of itself.

Our function is to create meaning, not to see some intrinsic meaning (which does not exist nor apply) in the realities we are engaged actively in embodying.


NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...
MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...
Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature
Lagerkapo
Lagerkapo
  • Member since: Apr. 11, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Writer
Response to The Philosophy Crew Jun. 7th, 2013 @ 06:44 PM Reply

What if nothing exists, but is perfectly as it is?


NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...
MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...
Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature