Be a Supporter!

The Philosophy Crew

  • 39,883 Views
  • 926 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Mjolnir-1
Mjolnir-1
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Feb. 25th, 2006 @ 05:31 PM Reply

alias: nidhoggspride
age:13
birthday: Oct.29
reason for joining: I used to discuss philosophy with my brother and my cousin. I do , infact, thing wayyyyy to much about things.

Rebeling is very cliche becuase youre not rebeling if you're like everyone else who's rebeling, pretending to be unique is useless. as the only way you can truly be unique is being who you are.

Ryan-dansie1
Ryan-dansie1
  • Member since: Sep. 30, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Feb. 25th, 2006 @ 06:43 PM Reply

At 10/31/05 11:34 AM, Stardoggy wrote: thank you seeingeyeturtle for joining! Hmmm... My first thought is something really simple. About war:

War makes absolutly no sense. You see, war only makes people angry. Although peace makes people happy. "anger" is only one word short of "Danger", war is just a death trap.

all war is is a tool for politicians to get their own way when they cant get their own way by rational discussion. Its just like children in a playground. If a child wants something that a smaller child has then he/she will just take it. Its just a case of the stronger party gets what they want rather than the morally right party. The problem is that each party thinks that they are the ones who are right so that would lead me to believe that war is caused by closed minded politicians who cant bear to see things from another persons point of view.

Ryan-dansie1
Ryan-dansie1
  • Member since: Sep. 30, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Feb. 25th, 2006 @ 06:45 PM Reply

At 11/8/05 05:29 AM, madknt wrote: does this thread really exist?
or is it just a figment of someones eles imagination...

the fact that you just asked that question proves the existance of this thread

Ryan-dansie1
Ryan-dansie1
  • Member since: Sep. 30, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Feb. 25th, 2006 @ 07:12 PM Reply

At 1/30/06 06:02 PM, Arch_Angel_Rhys wrote: ' god is the embodiment of the human ideal'
and everyone's favourite question 'if there's a god then why is there still suffering in the world?' God is what all people have in common. not some super hero. that's like saying superman should save us....not real.

but if we all have the power to make the right decision that could be seen as God. And we can all see it as it is a mental and subconscious part of everyone. except some people may choose to ignore that, therefore giving in to the temptations of 'the devil'.

an interesting idea but it almost disproves the existance of god. What you are saying is that god is the good part of people. Then i would say to you that if that was true then all religious people are more moral than atheists which is simply not true. I know a christian that would never even buy a big issue from a homeless person. So if everyone is able to make good moral judgements then there is no advantage to worshipping god. If this is the case then the bible is false. if the bible is false then either god doesnt exist, god exists and he does not have the power to create a bible the way he wants it or god exists and has some unkown motive for lying to his worshippers. In any case it doesnt look good for religeon.

Mjolnir-1
Mjolnir-1
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Feb. 25th, 2006 @ 09:12 PM Reply

At 2/25/06 09:04 AM, LethalDosage wrote: Which philosophy author would you recommend best for the category of enlightenment. I've been reading into alot of confucius and buddhism lately, and I want more. Plato sucks, I got a bunch of books and they were all just the story of his life. Anyways, recommendation please ?

try "the three pillars of zen"

xLucashax
xLucashax
  • Member since: Feb. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Feb. 27th, 2006 @ 09:59 AM Reply

1.Alias xLucashax
2.Age 17
3.Birthday 05/05/88
4.Why you were interested in joining the crew i am taking a philosophy course and love discussing things with people who have different opinions to me(but not arguing)

EnglishPanda
EnglishPanda
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Feb. 27th, 2006 @ 11:30 AM Reply

Alias: English Panda
Age:15
Reason for joining: Because i am the thinker of all thinkers, my brain is like a beehive and every bee has a brain!


BBS Signature
AlStOrthevilclown
AlStOrthevilclown
  • Member since: Jun. 2, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Mar. 11th, 2006 @ 12:23 AM Reply

By placing this as a thread we have now become entangled in the wires and cordes of everything these objectives have set up. We are nothing more than animals living our lives. We stare into darkness thinking about our lives and how we effect the world. Do we matter? Are we really alive? This reality is nothing more than a fake sleeping reality. Don't sleep for three weeks life becomes awake and you are now asleep on a higher plane. Only a few have reached this. Should we help those who need it or leave them behind for there own way of escape. Join us to the higher plane. The earth is now a small rock moving through space with a few things on it that make it special. Why should we matter.

Jay155
Jay155
  • Member since: Mar. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Mar. 11th, 2006 @ 12:39 AM Reply

Jackace
14
10-22-91
I want to share my views on things and to tell my Philosophy.

iWalker
iWalker
  • Member since: Jan. 11, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 57
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Mar. 11th, 2006 @ 03:46 AM Reply

At 2/25/06 06:45 PM, Ryan_dansie1 wrote:
At 11/8/05 05:29 AM, madknt wrote: does this thread really exist?
or is it just a figment of someones eles imagination...
the fact that you just asked that question proves the existance of this thread

so the thread exists, but does madknt exist?

hellsorb
hellsorb
  • Member since: Oct. 22, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Mar. 11th, 2006 @ 05:25 AM Reply

At 3/11/06 03:46 AM, nimmer wrote:
At 2/25/06 06:45 PM, Ryan_dansie1 wrote:
At 11/8/05 05:29 AM, madknt wrote: does this thread really exist?
or is it just a figment of someones eles imagination...
the fact that you just asked that question proves the existance of this thread
so the thread exists, but does madknt exist?

Who else thinks the internet or TV is a device used to passify us into ignoring how corrupt America is becoming? I mean in ignorance and trends.


If everyone thinks you are the devil... Why not play it up?

BBS Signature
Pandamir
Pandamir
  • Member since: Feb. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Gamer
Response to The Philosophy Crew Mar. 22nd, 2006 @ 01:35 PM Reply

alias: broncofan144
age:17
birthdate: 10/11/88

Reason for joining: i have things that i would like to discuss with people but nobody i know is willing to listen.


Love is giving somebody the power to destroy you and trusting them not to!!

BBS Signature
TheDoctor
TheDoctor
  • Member since: Mar. 17, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Mar. 22nd, 2006 @ 02:15 PM Reply

I'll join as long as people don't fag up this thread.
Ie. "The world sux, capitalism sux, we are all tools! OMFG ANCIENT WISDOM, DOWN WITH THE KAISER"

I also hate simple and moot arguments.


Failgrounds.

BBS Signature
Pandamir
Pandamir
  • Member since: Feb. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Gamer
Response to The Philosophy Crew Mar. 22nd, 2006 @ 02:49 PM Reply

well i dont think there will be much of them given that this is a place to express one's thoughts


Love is giving somebody the power to destroy you and trusting them not to!!

BBS Signature
Fremen
Fremen
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Aug. 15th, 2008 @ 05:44 PM Reply

1. Fremen
2. 17
3. The second of April
4. To show off how smart I am.

But really, I'm the Vice President of my school's Philosophy club, and I felt like digging up some ancient crew.


NGMAC
NG Naruto RP Crew
PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature
DinkMeeker
DinkMeeker
  • Member since: Aug. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Aug. 15th, 2008 @ 07:09 PM Reply

1. DinkMeeker
2. 17
3. June 8
4. Intellectual discussion is what I do. If I get into a good school, it's going to be because i argue well (trust me on that). Besides, most people are vacuous, obnoxious, and generally annoying, or, as Disraeli put it, "inebriated with the exuberance of their own verbosity." I would like to escape that and actually flex my formidable mental muscles.


BBS Signature
Fremen
Fremen
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Aug. 15th, 2008 @ 11:57 PM Reply

At 8/15/08 07:09 PM, DinkMeeker wrote: 1. DinkMeeker

Haha, what a tool....go lay naked floating in Zero-G

----------------------------------------
-----------------------------

On a different note:

Do you guys think Capital Punishment is justified? I do.

Here's why:

1) Keeping one alive puts a strain on the economy (not really philosophy, but still part of my argument)

2) One with a life sentence (or any sentence that will inevitably end in the prisoner's death), is practically dead to society. He serves no functioning part and is merely dead weight.

3) Those who have been given second chances and have committed crimes of great magnitude are of no value or use to society, so they might as well be cut off.

-------------------------------

bah

NGMAC
NG Naruto RP Crew
PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature
jew193
jew193
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Gamer
Response to The Philosophy Crew Aug. 18th, 2008 @ 05:14 PM Reply

Jew193
16
September 18
I like arguing about philosophical stuff with people who have different opinions.

Everybody who is in this club should watch Waking Life.

jew193
jew193
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Gamer
Response to The Philosophy Crew Aug. 18th, 2008 @ 05:24 PM Reply

Double post, w/e.

At 8/15/08 11:57 PM, Fremen wrote:
At 8/15/08 07:09 PM, DinkMeeker wrote: 1. DinkMeeker
Haha, what a tool....go lay naked floating in Zero-G

----------------------------------------
-----------------------------

On a different note:

Do you guys think Capital Punishment is justified? I do.

Here's why:

1) Keeping one alive puts a strain on the economy (not really philosophy, but still part of my argument)

Actually, you're wrong here. When someone is sentenced to the death penalty, then they go through a crapload of appeals, every single one of which costs us taxpayers money. So actually, sentencing someone to death row actually costs more money than giving them life in prison.

2) One with a life sentence (or any sentence that will inevitably end in the prisoner's death), is practically dead to society. He serves no functioning part and is merely dead weight.

Read above. Although I agree with this, because it would cost more money to give them the death penalty, it doesn't really make sense practically. If it didn't cost as much to put the needle in someone, then I would definitely agree.

3) Those who have been given second chances and have committed crimes of great magnitude are of no value or use to society, so they might as well be cut off.

Are you trying to say a greater magnitude? Also, I don't disagree with the death penalty, I just disagree with your reasons for supporting it.

-------------------------------

bah
Fremen
Fremen
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Aug. 18th, 2008 @ 08:56 PM Reply

At 8/18/08 05:24 PM, jew193 wrote: Double post, w/e.

At 8/15/08 11:57 PM, Fremen wrote:
At 8/15/08 07:09 PM, DinkMeeker wrote: 1. DinkMeeker
Haha, what a tool....go lay naked floating in Zero-G

----------------------------------------
-----------------------------

On a different note:

Do you guys think Capital Punishment is justified? I do.

Here's why:

1) Keeping one alive puts a strain on the economy (not really philosophy, but still part of my argument)
Actually, you're wrong here. When someone is sentenced to the death penalty, then they go through a crapload of appeals, every single one of which costs us taxpayers money. So actually, sentencing someone to death row actually costs more money than giving them life in prison.

2) One with a life sentence (or any sentence that will inevitably end in the prisoner's death), is practically dead to society. He serves no functioning part and is merely dead weight.
Read above. Although I agree with this, because it would cost more money to give them the death penalty, it doesn't really make sense practically. If it didn't cost as much to put the needle in someone, then I would definitely agree.

3) Those who have been given second chances and have committed crimes of great magnitude are of no value or use to society, so they might as well be cut off.
Are you trying to say a greater magnitude? Also, I don't disagree with the death penalty, I just disagree with your reasons for supporting it.

I asked if it was justified. You know, morally and ethically. I never asked if it was practical since that's not philosophy. In an ideal world, the prisoner would not have to go through millions of dollars worth of appeals, but sadly, in our world this is the case and the death penalty is unpractical no matter what the circumstance is.

What are your reasons for supporting the death penalty then?


NGMAC
NG Naruto RP Crew
PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature
jew193
jew193
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Gamer
Response to The Philosophy Crew Aug. 19th, 2008 @ 12:59 AM Reply

At 8/18/08 08:56 PM, Fremen wrote: I asked if it was justified. You know, morally and ethically. I never asked if it was practical since that's not philosophy. In an ideal world, the prisoner would not have to go through millions of dollars worth of appeals, but sadly, in our world this is the case and the death penalty is unpractical no matter what the circumstance is.

But your argument was that they should just die, because they're wasting money living if they get life in prison.. So I was just showing how yours was flawed.

What are your reasons for supporting the death penalty then?

If a person has done something like kill a bunch of other people, then they don't even deserve to right to continue living. However, I don't think just any murderer should be condemned. Because if it happened that way, then things would eventually escalate into people getting killed for the smallest of things, which is obviously bad. But life is merely a series of moments, and when someone has done something that monstrous, I don't think they deserve to continue to experience those moments just like everybody else gets to.

Fremen
Fremen
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Aug. 19th, 2008 @ 02:20 AM Reply

At 8/19/08 12:59 AM, jew193 wrote:
At 8/18/08 08:56 PM, Fremen wrote: I asked if it was justified. You know, morally and ethically. I never asked if it was practical since that's not philosophy. In an ideal world, the prisoner would not have to go through millions of dollars worth of appeals, but sadly, in our world this is the case and the death penalty is unpractical no matter what the circumstance is.
But your argument was that they should just die, because they're wasting money living if they get life in prison.. So I was just showing how yours was flawed.

Well, the idea is that they are wasting resources. Why feed prisoners when you can use that food for citizens that contribute to society? That's what I mean.

All of their resources, like guards, doctors, therapists, they can all be minimized if the death penalty is allowed and that would be good for society.

What are your reasons for supporting the death penalty then?
If a person has done something like kill a bunch of other people, then they don't even deserve to right to continue living. However, I don't think just any murderer should be condemned. Because if it happened that way, then things would eventually escalate into people getting killed for the smallest of things, which is obviously bad. But life is merely a series of moments, and when someone has done something that monstrous, I don't think they deserve to continue to experience those moments just like everybody else gets to.

Hold up....

So you are arguing that living is a right that one can lose and gain? It's a privilege? I disagree with that. No offense, but I really hate when pro-capital punishment people say that "they don't DESERVE to live" or that "they don't have the RIGHT to live".

1) Living isn't something that someone can lose the "right" to. Since then, I think civil rights and things like that won't be the same if we start using phrases like that.

2) Everyone DESERVES to live. That is why they are here on this earth. I'm simply saying that if the person is dead weight to society, then they can be cut off. Talking about rights and what people deserve is too subjective and emotional. I'd like to take a more objective view on this kind of thing.


NGMAC
NG Naruto RP Crew
PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature
jew193
jew193
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Gamer
Response to The Philosophy Crew Aug. 19th, 2008 @ 02:42 AM Reply

At 8/19/08 02:20 AM, Fremen wrote: Well, the idea is that they are wasting resources. Why feed prisoners when you can use that food for citizens that contribute to society? That's what I mean.

Ok, but then my argument works as well. If more money is saved by putting someone in prison for life instead of getting the death penalty, then the money saved could be used for more useful things, like alternative energy research and such.

All of their resources, like guards, doctors, therapists, they can all be minimized if the death penalty is allowed and that would be good for society.

But the fact that the death penalty costs more makes that a moot point.

Hold up....

So you are arguing that living is a right that one can lose and gain? It's a privilege? I disagree with that. No offense, but I really hate when pro-capital punishment people say that "they don't DESERVE to live" or that "they don't have the RIGHT to live".

Ok, I good point. I guess I worded that wrong.

1) Living isn't something that someone can lose the "right" to. Since then, I think civil rights and things like that won't be the same if we start using phrases like that.

2) Everyone DESERVES to live. That is why they are here on this earth. I'm simply saying that if the person is dead weight to society, then they can be cut off. Talking about rights and what people deserve is too subjective and emotional. I'd like to take a more objective view on this kind of thing.

Ok, so if they are to be cut off, how would that be different from leaving them stranded on an island, left to fend for themselves? (yes I realize that this would be marked in the unusual category, but for argument's sake)

Also, since I feel like bringing this up, since the US constitution forbids "cruel and unusual punishment" how can we determine that death by injection is neither cruel or unusual? Obviously somebody can't try it and then inform other's it the injection hurts. So... (I;m not choosing a side here, just bringing it up)

Fremen
Fremen
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Aug. 19th, 2008 @ 03:11 AM Reply

At 8/19/08 02:42 AM, jew193 wrote:
At 8/19/08 02:20 AM, Fremen wrote: Well, the idea is that they are wasting resources. Why feed prisoners when you can use that food for citizens that contribute to society? That's what I mean.
Ok, but then my argument works as well. If more money is saved by putting someone in prison for life instead of getting the death penalty, then the money saved could be used for more useful things, like alternative energy research and such.

I'm saying that PHILOSOPHICALLY, if there was a death penalty, it would have to be different than the ones in the US today. If there was an efficient way, or no appeals system, it would be MORALLY JUSTIFIED to kill someone. Saving resources is just icing on the cake.

Did you read my post? We are not discussing practicality, economics, law, or anything else like that. Philosophy does not deal in pragmatics.

All of their resources, like guards, doctors, therapists, they can all be minimized if the death penalty is allowed and that would be good for society.
But the fact that the death penalty costs more makes that a moot point.

..ugh...read above. We are not arguing for the death penalty or not. We are arguing if it is JUSTIFIED from a philosophical perspective.

1) Living isn't something that someone can lose the "right" to. Since then, I think civil rights and things like that won't be the same if we start using phrases like that.

2) Everyone DESERVES to live. That is why they are here on this earth. I'm simply saying that if the person is dead weight to society, then they can be cut off. Talking about rights and what people deserve is too subjective and emotional. I'd like to take a more objective view on this kind of thing.
Ok, so if they are to be cut off, how would that be different from leaving them stranded on an island, left to fend for themselves? (yes I realize that this would be marked in the unusual category, but for argument's sake)

It wouldn't be. And that's what I'm saying. Prisoners now only take from society and give nothing. That is what I mean by cut-off. If you want to strand them on an island, then by all means go ahead, it would have the same effect as the death penalty.

The reason I brought up that point was to point out that the death penalty reduces stress on a society, not only economically, but criminally too. Criminals would be scared of dying and not only that, but people would feel safer in general. And if there is one thing I learned in AP US History this helps the economy so much. The way people feel is the way that the Economy will go.

Also, since I feel like bringing this up, since the US constitution forbids "cruel and unusual punishment" how can we determine that death by injection is neither cruel or unusual? Obviously somebody can't try it and then inform other's it the injection hurts. So... (I;m not choosing a side here, just bringing it up)

Well, that is the clause that forbids torture or some "interrogation" techniques. The diction used might seem a bit off since we have slightly different terms today, but when they say cruel or unusual, they don't mean death. Surely many prisoners died in the unreformed prison system of Early America. Prisons back then were basically hell holes with no funding and almost no burden on society, much different than the prisons today.


NGMAC
NG Naruto RP Crew
PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature
ChickenReaper
ChickenReaper
  • Member since: May. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Aug. 19th, 2008 @ 10:34 AM Reply

Alias ChickenReaper Age 13 Birthday October 24 1994 Reason for joining would like to hear some ideas maybe input my own


BBS Signature
jew193
jew193
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Gamer
Response to The Philosophy Crew Aug. 19th, 2008 @ 11:43 AM Reply

At 8/19/08 03:11 AM, Fremen wrote: I'm saying that PHILOSOPHICALLY, if there was a death penalty, it would have to be different than the ones in the US today. If there was an efficient way, or no appeals system, it would be MORALLY JUSTIFIED to kill someone. Saving resources is just icing on the cake.

how does a lack of an appeals system make it morally justified to kill someone? Those two things you just mentioned would merely save resources, unless by efficient you also mean painless.

It wouldn't be. And that's what I'm saying. Prisoners now only take from society and give nothing. That is what I mean by cut-off. If you want to strand them on an island, then by all means go ahead, it would have the same effect as the death penalty.

Ok, then th point becomes what kind of crimes do criminals get the death penalty for, and others get jail time. Unless you're saying everybody in jail should be killed. Which I disagree with.

The reason I brought up that point was to point out that the death penalty reduces stress on a society, not only economically, but criminally too. Criminals would be scared of dying and not only that, but people would feel safer in general. And if there is one thing I learned in AP US History this helps the economy so much. The way people feel is the way that the Economy will go.

Ok, but who will decide the exact rules on who would receive the death penalty and who wouldn't? And who would decide which criminals would die? For example, have you ever read death note? Jail would still need to be an option for those who committed petty theft, or things like that. And the problem is that even if criminals are getting killed, then people might be afraid of doing something that will get them killed, and so f they're too scared, then the economy obviously won't flourish. (this only comes into play if things were to get out of hand, and every single criminal were to be killed.)

Well, that is the clause that forbids torture or some "interrogation" techniques. The diction used might seem a bit off since we have slightly different terms today, but when they say cruel or unusual, they don't mean death. Surely many prisoners died in the unreformed prison system of Early America. Prisons back then were basically hell holes with no funding and almost no burden on society, much different than the prisons today.

Yeah, but prisoners die in prisons now. Sure the reasons may have been different, like in early prisons uncleanliness, and now most likely getting stabbed or something like that. And if the prison was filthy, that most likely wasn't supposed to be a punishment, the people just didn't know much about airborne bacteria and other such illness, and so...

RocketBean
RocketBean
  • Member since: Apr. 9, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Programmer
Response to The Philosophy Crew Oct. 19th, 2008 @ 09:51 PM Reply

1.Alias: Rocketbean
2.Age: 15 (Almost!)
3.Birthday: 12/10/93
4.Why you were interested in joining the crew: I enjoy thinking and debating as well as researching philosophers and reading their quotes. I was inspired to make a crew on philosophy after posting in a thread with a troubled kid with a fucked up view on reality. I searched and found this first so I decided to revive it!

Here are some quotes I conjured up recently:

"Why am I here?"
"We are here because we were a result of an unthinkable amount of time passing."
"What is life?"
"Life is something that produces more life and death, while death produces nothing."
"Who is God, or is there even a God?"
"God is a creation of man. Man did not create existence so therfore there is no God."
"What is the meaning of life?"
"The meaning/object of life is to produce. Every animal reproduces out of instinct as we do too."

Hope to see this thread active again!

Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Member since: Apr. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to The Philosophy Crew Oct. 20th, 2008 @ 01:44 AM Reply

1. Dr-Worm
2. 17
3. Oct. 11, 1991
4. Because I felt oddly compelled to.

At 2/25/06 05:31 PM, Mjolnir-1 wrote: Rebeling is very cliche becuase youre not rebeling if you're like everyone else who's rebeling, pretending to be unique is useless. as the only way you can truly be unique is being who you are.

Oh, I have lots to say concerning this topic...but no time to say it at the moment.


NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
jew193
jew193
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Gamer
Response to The Philosophy Crew Oct. 21st, 2008 @ 10:35 PM Reply

At 10/19/08 09:51 PM, RocketBean wrote: 1.Alias: Rocketbean
2.Age: 15 (Almost!)
3.Birthday: 12/10/93
4.Why you were interested in joining the crew: I enjoy thinking and debating as well as researching philosophers and reading their quotes. I was inspired to make a crew on philosophy after posting in a thread with a troubled kid with a fucked up view on reality. I searched and found this first so I decided to revive it!

Here are some quotes I conjured up recently:

"Why am I here?"

In my opinion, why am I here is a religious question. If you believe in God, then you wonder why he put you on earth and what he wants you to do here. If you are a science person, then you really shouldn't need to be asking that question.

"We are here because we were a result of an unthinkable amount of time passing."
"What is life?"

Once again, a religious question.

"Life is something that produces more life and death, while death produces nothing."

Death allows for the creation of more life. Without death, there could be no life.

"Who is God, or is there even a God?"

I do not believe in God, because you can't prove he exists. There's no tangible proof, and anything that other people say is "clear proof" is nothing more than their opinion.

"God is a creation of man. Man did not create existence so therfore there is no God."
"What is the meaning of life?"

Same as "Why are we here?"

"The meaning/object of life is to produce. Every animal reproduces out of instinct as we do too."

Hope to see this thread active again!

Read http://www.cracked.com/article_15746_emb race-horror.html Super freaking interesting.

DeathNoteetoNhtaeD
DeathNoteetoNhtaeD
  • Member since: May. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Philosophy Crew Oct. 21st, 2008 @ 11:00 PM Reply

Death
15
July 11
Why?...Hmm...
I suppose it is because most of the time I can't get to sleep, it is because I am thinking. About a lot of things. My head is a veritable maelstrom of incognitable thoughts. Not only will this club provide me with an opportunity to organize these thoughts into coherent theories about the world, universe, and man himself, but it will be a place to intellegently discuss where I am right, wrong, and brilliant.

If you accept me, be warned. I may act conceited at times. Please disregard it, as I am most likely joking.

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature