00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MoxKatt just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

steve vai...techniques

934 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

steve vai...techniques 2005-10-19 21:00:16

i recently got he's book.....and fuck... this guy......is everything.....anyone used his techniques or read the book......?

SERVING THE CAUSE

BBS Signature

Response to steve vai...techniques 2005-10-19 23:20:07

At 10/19/05 09:00 PM, sonicxtreme wrote: i recently got he's book.....and fuck... this guy......is everything.....anyone used his techniques or read the book......?

His techniques are unreal -- I really think he is in a class by himself in terms of technical ability. Someone once asked me to describe what it was like to see Vai live. My response was "A religious experience." Scary.

<|> TritoneAngel <|>

<|> Visit TritoneAngel Audio for guitar-centric rock, metal, VG, jazz & classical songs.

<|> Newest TritoneAngel Audio: Clockwork (submitted 12/8/08)

BBS Signature

Response to steve vai...techniques 2005-10-20 04:38:31

Well I don't have his book but I do have his 30 hour workout which is killer.Oh and Requiem he really is in a class of his own plus it doesn't hurt to have TMac and Sheehan backing you up.

Response to steve vai...techniques 2005-10-20 08:26:59

that guy is the most creative and one of the most experienced guitarrist...but his songs are a bit bizarre.....it makes me the creeps....

SERVING THE CAUSE

BBS Signature

Response to steve vai...techniques 2005-10-20 09:44:39

At 10/20/05 04:38 AM, speedmetalmessiah wrote: ....TMac....

You know, for a minute I thought you were referring to Tracy McGrady. lol

<|> TritoneAngel <|>

<|> Visit TritoneAngel Audio for guitar-centric rock, metal, VG, jazz & classical songs.

BBS Signature

Response to steve vai...techniques 2005-10-20 09:56:10

At 10/20/05 08:26 AM, sonicxtreme wrote: that guy is the most creative and one of the most experienced guitarrist...but his songs are a bit bizarre.....it makes me the creeps....

The only problem I have with him is that sometimes he gets a little too "funny" -- whenever he lets the Zappa influence come out a little too strongly I get turned off. For example, I'm probably one of the only Vai fans in the world that isn't a fan of "Flexable" and "Flexable Leftovers", whereas I think "Fire Garden" is the best album ever in the history of the universe [and it was also my first ever exposure to Steve in 1996, ironically a drummer introduced the CD to me]. When he does the distinct "Steve" things that only he can do is when I think he really shines.

When I left the G3 concert a few years ago in NYC after seeing him play, I had a moment where I thought -- Well, if I ever thought I was good, this sent me crashing back to earth; maybe I should take up the banjo instead.

For me, he defines what the apex of guitar playing can be. My (musical) idol.

<|> TritoneAngel <|>

BBS Signature

Response to steve vai...techniques 2005-10-20 15:08:07

At 10/20/05 08:26 AM, sonicxtreme wrote: that guy is the most creative and one of the most experienced guitarrist...but his songs are a bit bizarre.....it makes me the creeps....

You mean Neo-Classical metal?

Response to steve vai...techniques 2005-10-21 12:12:46

There's no doubt that Vai has trouser splitting technique, but what really blows my mind is the way he performs live. He really puts on a show for the crowd.

Wanna hear some fuckin fast guitar playing? CLICK HERE!

BBS Signature

Response to steve vai...techniques 2005-10-21 16:50:17

At 10/21/05 12:12 PM, metalcan wrote: There's no doubt that Vai has trouser splitting technique, but what really blows my mind is the way he performs live. He really puts on a show for the crowd.

Yeah and his tone is amazing.

Response to steve vai...techniques 2006-07-14 03:47:00

Yea, Vai is the single most influential person to me, at this point, before it was EVH, but Vai took my look at music so much further. I would consider myself lucky to even master one of his many techniques, I keep trying but, he makes everything I find impossible look easy. I only wish I would be able to see him live, but seeing as how I live in Edmonton, AB, Canada, the odds are less likely than me winning a lottery. Not like Edmonton is a small town or anything, in comparison to other Canadian cites, but it's the size of a pea in comparison to big US cities, in population moreso than size. So I can see why a guy like Vai wouldn't come here, he'd porbably end up losing money by coming up here.

Response to steve vai...techniques 2006-07-14 04:30:35

Ya i've tried learning some vai shit jesus christ I hate him but I love him lol. He is truly a mastermind.

-Jon

Response to steve vai...techniques 2006-07-14 06:49:01

I've also seen him live @ Pistoia Blues 2004 in Italy. 4 hours concert with Satriani and Fripp.

He's a showman..really. It has a GREAT technique but, honestly, i found him very boring after a while..
No dinamics and TOO MUCH fucking feedbacks..
Some good pieces then a lot of boring .. "happy rock'n'roll".
I hate it..:)
Anyway, i think it's a great guitarist, maybe not so great musician.

Check out my latest audio

Response to steve vai...techniques 2006-07-14 07:18:35

At 7/14/06 06:49 AM, No1r wrote: Anyway, i think it's a great guitarist, maybe not so great musician.

Word... I always feel that Vai (and Satriani, and Dream Theater, etc) make their songs mostly as a platform for showing off their virtuosity.
One of my personal guitar heroes is Trey Spruance. He may best be known from his performance on Faith No More's "King for a day, fool for a lifetime", but he's also in Mr. Bungle and Secret Chiefs 3. Not only does he excel in many styles - metal, jazz, funk, latin, blues... - but he also manages to compose songs in a very unique way, never entirely focusing on the guitar parts, not afraid to be the performing underdog in his own compositions, so basically he's more of a musician than Steve Vai will ever be, in my book. Technically he's probably lesser than Vai, but he more than makes up for that in creativity and artisticity.