New Topic Respond to this Topic
jobelow
jobelow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
whateverhappenedtofederalsalestax? Sep. 8th, 2005 @ 02:32 PM Reply

May or may not have been a good idea. I personally liked the idea, as in theory it would have saved me a lot of time and money given my lifestyle. But as far as I know it just kinda died in the news, and after a while I never heard anything about it, and that was a year or two ago I guess. Did it ever make it to vote?

But anyway, as I understood it, there was a bill that would totally get rid of the federal income tax code, no more w-2s and 1040s and i-9s and all that paperwork, no more April 15th stress, no more one-time-a-year refunds, and it would replace all that with a 23% sales tax over everything in the country on retail and give back something like a $500 refund every month to everyone. So basically if you're single and spend less than $3000 a month, you'd be making money off the government, as everything out of your paycheck that you put in the bank or under your matress would be untaxable. So the people who would actually be paying massive taxes would be the people who drive huge cars, shop name brand, buy useless junk, and live paycheck-to-paycheck unnecessarily. Maybe or maybe not this would hurt the economy, but it would definitely lift a tax burden from individuals who by choice didn't want to pay as big a percentage of income tax as they do, like myself.

TBlade87
TBlade87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to whateverhappenedtofederalsalestax? Sep. 8th, 2005 @ 03:30 PM Reply

That would be a terrible bill. the goverment makes the majority of it's income threw Tax. Having only a massive sales tax would be bad because then the govermaent wouldn't be able to keep track of income records.

The only reason people stress come april is their procrastination. I know a good amount of people that finish it months befor.

And the idea of living off the goverment is sickening to me. I couldn't respect myself if I couldn't support myself. And I would start to hate the poeple who live off my taxes.

Does anyone read these anymore?

BBS Signature
Nomader
Nomader
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Melancholy
Response to whateverhappenedtofederalsalestax? Sep. 8th, 2005 @ 03:46 PM Reply

Federal Sales Tax? Yet another way for the government to rip money out of your pocket. No. This is what would happen.

"Hey look honey, that TV's only $299.99! Let's get it!"
"Ok!" says the wife.

At the counter...

"Ok, sir, your total comes out to... $346.76"
"But... the sticker price..."
"Is correct sir - but not counting the Federal 10% tax and the Maryland state tax of 5%, this is your total."

I'm sorry, but that's a ripoff.

Nomader ('No, mad, er').
Review Request Club // Former Wi/Ht? Regular
Oh God, you're an idiot.

BBS Signature
The-Last-Cynic
The-Last-Cynic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to whateverhappenedtofederalsalestax? Sep. 8th, 2005 @ 07:49 PM Reply

At 9/8/05 03:30 PM, TBlade87 wrote: And the idea of living off the goverment is sickening to me. I couldn't respect myself if I couldn't support myself. And I would start to hate the poeple who live off my taxes.

You mean as opposed to all those people who are proud to be on welfare, cause that's a pretty big demographic.

Jimsween
Jimsween
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to whateverhappenedtofederalsalestax? Sep. 8th, 2005 @ 07:57 PM Reply

An income tax is better than a sales tax because it encourages spending money instead of saving it. And money spent stimulates the economy.

Pre-K-Prostitute
Pre-K-Prostitute
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to whateverhappenedtofederalsalestax? Sep. 8th, 2005 @ 08:02 PM Reply

OMFG! Dude, that sounds freakin awesome! But, wait... who will feed the endless void of our nation's deficit? ...n00b, the money you may make off the gov't today is the money you'll have to give back to the gov't tommorrow.

Boldest is he who refuses see what has once come and is to be.

BBS Signature
TBlade87
TBlade87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to whateverhappenedtofederalsalestax? Sep. 8th, 2005 @ 08:20 PM Reply

At 9/8/05 07:49 PM, The_Last_Cynic wrote: You mean as opposed to all those people who are proud to be on welfare, cause that's a pretty big demographic.

I didn't mean to say that nobody lives off the goverment. I know people are depraved enough to purposly live like that.

What I was aiming to say that if you can work then you should. I know people go threw times where they have no choice about it but to choose that life to make everything easier is sad.

I'd imagine a number of people are going to have to live off the goverment if they were involved in Katrina but I know that a good portion of them want to get back to their life and their job.

Does anyone read these anymore?

BBS Signature
Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to whateverhappenedtofederalsalestax? Sep. 8th, 2005 @ 08:21 PM Reply

At 9/8/05 03:46 PM, Nomader wrote: Federal Sales Tax? Yet another way for the government to rip money out of your pocket. No. This is what would happen.

Oh yes, I'm sure any society would crumble if the people had to pay 15% sales tax.

OH WAIT/

IllustriousPotentate
IllustriousPotentate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to whateverhappenedtofederalsalestax? Sep. 8th, 2005 @ 08:34 PM Reply

At 9/8/05 03:30 PM, TBlade87 wrote: That would be a terrible bill. the goverment makes the majority of it's income threw Tax.

Of course it does. Under this bill, the FairTax bill, they would still make the majority of their income off of tax.

Having only a massive sales tax would be bad because then the govermaent wouldn't be able to keep track of income records.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The only reason government needs to keep track of income records is to take income taxes. If you base taxes off of income, then you don't need to keep income records.

The only reason people stress come april is their procrastination. I know a good amount of people that finish it months befor.

With the sales tax, you wouldn't have to worry about it period.

And the idea of living off the goverment is sickening to me. I couldn't respect myself if I couldn't support myself. And I would start to hate the poeple who live off my taxes.

That's irrelevant. This has nothing to do with welfare. If you want to moan about the welfare system, do it in a thread that is marked for that purpose.

At 9/8/05 03:46 PM, Nomader wrote: Federal Sales Tax? Yet another way for the government to rip money out of your pocket. No. This is what would happen.

Oh, but it's not a ripoff to get your paycheck stub for $1000 gross pay, but only $600 take home pay? It's not a ripoff that large percentages of your paycheck are gone to the federal government before you even have a chance to see it?

At 9/8/05 07:57 PM, Jimsween wrote: An income tax is better than a sales tax because it encourages spending money instead of saving it. And money spent stimulates the economy.

Sure, there'll be an economic correction in which sales will slow down for a bit, but people will still continue to buy luxury items.

And honestly, looking at the numbers of people with credit card debt, it might not hurt the economy too badly. After all, if people save money for a few years to get themselves out of debt, then they will be able to purchase goods freely later on, while under the income tax system, it might be more difficult for them to do so.

At 9/8/05 08:02 PM, NarcolepticAlarmClok wrote: OMFG! Dude, that sounds freakin awesome! But, wait... who will feed the endless void of our nation's deficit? ...n00b, the money you may make off the gov't today is the money you'll have to give back to the gov't tommorrow.

This isn't a reduction in government revenue. It's just a difference in how the revenue is collected. The solution to the deficit is more responsible government spending, not punitive tax hikes.

So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we had the key...

BBS Signature