Respond to this Topic
Hikitsuri
Hikitsuri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-15 01:18:58 Reply

Wow. Who knew people could get so upset over blamming crap? I personally dont give a rats ass about blamming and sh*t. No offense to blam clubbers but chill! Take a couple of prozacs and eat some cereal. Newgrounds is about watching/playing entertaining flash movies and games. Not popularity based on deleting them. !@#$ POPULARITY! Social BS!

Enhanced voting system!

GuineVir
GuineVir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-15 03:02:38 Reply

Well, from reading all this, I'm getting the basic impression that BLAMs are *sacred* to some people. While I don't think it's that big a deal, I also think that we should at least respect how others think.

Maybe you can keep BLAMs and Blam Points seperate things, like someone suggested earlier?
And maybe even keep giving out BLAMs for the triggering vote?
That could solve this big 'civil unrest'... :-)

Bardock4
Bardock4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-15 03:57:38 Reply

At 10/13/02 08:00 PM, dragonzrtite wrote: who made lesbians kissing?

Do we Care, you idiot!!

Bardock4
Bardock4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-15 04:01:23 Reply

At 10/13/02 08:08 PM, TheJoe324 wrote:
Well, the person who submitted it didn't technically "Make" it unless he was the one holding the camera

Does it matter Well no really it does not!!!

Bardock4
Bardock4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-15 04:04:41 Reply

At 10/14/02 11:03 PM, SoulRifter wrote:
At 10/14/02 10:35 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
If you spent all that time to get your blam totalto say 1337 it should say "LOSER". Are you people here to make your BLAM total say "1337" or help filter the new content on NG? If all you are here to do is spell 1337 in your profile we don't need you.
Umm Wade I think you fail to realize how important blams are to people. Before this new system, it was something special to get a blam. Now all I have to do is sit in the portal, and vote 0 on every single one of the lowest scoring submissions, and I am practically guranteed a blam. I've accumulated 16 new blams today, in hardly any time at all. The way you intended the blamming system to work in the first place may not have been the way it turned out, but thats the way it IS. How can you tell someone, no matter how retarded you think it is, that getting an 1337 number of blams is lame? You don't seem to realize how much time people really contribute to this site, and how important something seemingly so insignificant as an exact number of blams is to them. What you've basically done with this new blamming system, is taken away something which once meant something to some of us, and turned it into a game, which anyone can win if they have even the slightest amount of intelligence. Now it takes absolutely no effort to get a blam, where it once took patience, and exact timing to succeed. And no, just because those people contribute to a blam doesn't mean they got the blam. All they did was set up the kill for someone else to make. They didn't blam the movie, they just prepared it to die. Its two different things, and I think you are stretching the Blamming FAQ to an extent which makes it agreeable with your terms.

Your right Blams where special and were a one off thing now today i got atleast seven it just not right maybe Wade should really Re-Think this new system.

Bardock4
Bardock4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-15 04:09:29 Reply

At 10/13/02 11:15 PM, TropicanaClock wrote: Yo un ban me from your chat room this is inconvient I didnt flood seriously i didnt i was not doing a thing i got baned with out warning to I would of stoped if some one asked me to stop what I was doing which was not flooding oh well ack guess im out of luck at the moment well unban me if you will

Your very sad with your life we don't need to know!

DaFreak
DaFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-15 06:45:41 Reply

I'll repeat my question...
Will the new system influence "voting power"?

Dopefish
Dopefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Reader
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-15 08:13:45 Reply

At 10/15/02 03:02 AM, GuineVir wrote: Well, from reading all this, I'm getting the basic impression that BLAMs are *sacred* to some people. While I don't think it's that big a deal, I also think that we should at least respect how others think.

Maybe you can keep BLAMs and Blam Points seperate things, like someone suggested earlier?
And maybe even keep giving out BLAMs for the triggering vote?
That could solve this big 'civil unrest'... :-)

Yeah that'd probably be a better idea. Oh well, sorry for complaining Wade, but I still have problems with this system.

Have a lot of time on your hands? Want to help some starving children eat for free? Visit Free Rice and start playing today. Each correct answer donates 20 grains of rice!

BBS Signature
WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-15 13:13:08 Reply

At 10/15/02 08:13 AM, SoulRifter wrote:
Yeah that'd probably be a better idea. Oh well, sorry for complaining Wade, but I still have problems with this system.

Bitch and moan all you want, the new system is better. If you don't think so look at the TOP 50 most recent! Today I checked and even movies that are in the TOP 10 most recent have 20-40 votes or more already! That's a HUGE improvement. It's because people aren't holding back their votes and are voting more freely. This is in NG's best interest. We can't change the system to make a couple people happy so they can spell "1337" GET REAL! Uhg! You make me so f'ing angry. Don't you see how selfish you are being? Jesus.

The new system will stay as it is. However we are working on a seperate little ranking system to reflect how many total points you have. (BLAM+PROTECTION). So those who had 1337 Blams will start at the 1337+ rank level, where most people are no where near that yet. If they weren't silly and didn't stay at 1337, they could have had an even bigger head start.

Blamming isn't a skill. Anyone can do it that wants to take the time. Your patience and skill is what was screwing up the system. If you can't see that having 20-30 people sitting there holding back their vote and letting a movie sit at 15-23 votes until it goes off the TOP 50 list isn't a problem then you are an f'ing idiot. The system is working MUCH MUCH MUCH better now. Look at how colorful the TOP 50 list is! It's because the crap is being removed faster, and good movies are getting more votes and reaching a level where they are assigned a color code faster.

Also the point of the BLAM club is to gang up on crap movies to help get them out of the portal faster. Why should 90% of the BLAM club members vote 0 only to have some other 10% of pricks hold back until they can get a BLAM? Why shouldn't they all be rewarded for their efforts?

What you must realize is that less than 1% of our daily traffic actually goes through the TOP 50 list and helps filter it. The other 99% of the people are looking at movies that already have over 100 votes, like the movies on the front page or in our featured sections.

So we want to reward the less than 1% of the people who help filter through the new submissions.

Another thing.

If someone votes on 5 movies a day, deposits and leaves, and another person votes on 50 movie a day, the both would have the same experience points! Now the person who puts in the over time gets rewarded and has something to show for it.

We aren't going to give anyone a special point for being the vote that triggers the check point, as that would bring us back to the same problem. So if you want to have an impressive BLAM count, instead of having 500 BLAMS compared to most people's 10-20, now you can go for 15,000 BLAMS and 20,000 PROTECTION points, or whatever.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER
Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK
Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-15 13:15:09 Reply

At 10/15/02 06:45 AM, DaFreaK_B_ wrote: I'll repeat my question...

No it will not.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
Soul-Edge
Soul-Edge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-15 13:48:03 Reply

At 10/15/02 01:13 PM, WadeFulp wrote:

We aren't going to give anyone a special point for being the vote that triggers the check point, as that would bring us back to the same problem. So if you want to have an impressive BLAM count, instead of having 500 BLAMS compared to most people's 10-20, now you can go for 15,000 BLAMS and 20,000 PROTECTION points, or whatever.

Yeah but thats not the point Wade. What good is it to have 20,000+ blams when they don't even mean anything?

Dopefish
Dopefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Reader
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-15 13:53:47 Reply

At 10/15/02 01:13 PM, WadeFulp wrote:

*CRAP!!! Sorry, I meant to make that post under MY account of SoulRifter, not my brother's account of SSJ_Brolly. He doesn't even care about the new blamming system, so please Wade, don't get mad at him.*

This is my post, here:

Yeah but thats not the point Wade. What good is it to have 20,000+ blams when they don't even mean anything? Anyway, I appologized for complaining. You don't have to get so angry.

Have a lot of time on your hands? Want to help some starving children eat for free? Visit Free Rice and start playing today. Each correct answer donates 20 grains of rice!

BBS Signature
WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-15 14:26:54 Reply

At 10/15/02 01:53 PM, SoulRifter wrote: Yeah but thats not the point Wade. What good is it to have 20,000+ blams when they don't even mean anything? Anyway, I appologized for complaining. You don't have to get so angry.

What do you mean they don't mean anything? Sure they do! People still have to take the time to vote, it's still work! In fact maybe more work than you did! All you had to do was watch for a movie to get near a checkpoint then send in your vote, perhaps without watching the movie! So the people who took the time to actually watch the movie shouldn't be rewarded?

You are not making any valid points. You have to look at the bigger picture. You have to think about what is good for Newgrounds as a whole. If 20,000 BLAM points doesn't mean anything, than neither would 10,000 experience points I guess if you go by your thinking.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
DaFreak
DaFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-15 15:37:38 Reply

At 10/15/02 01:15 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
At 10/15/02 06:45 AM, DaFreaK_B_ wrote: I'll repeat my question...
No it will not.

Ok, thanks for answering. I think it's cool you keep adding new things. Rock on, Wade ;)

Dopefish
Dopefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Reader
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-15 16:40:10 Reply

At 10/15/02 02:26 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
At 10/15/02 01:53 PM, SoulRifter wrote: Yeah but thats not the point Wade. What good is it to have 20,000+ blams when they don't even mean anything? Anyway, I appologized for complaining. You don't have to get so angry.
What do you mean they don't mean anything? Sure they do! People still have to take the time to vote, it's still work! In fact maybe more work than you did! All you had to do was watch for a movie to get near a checkpoint then send in your vote, perhaps without watching the movie! So the people who took the time to actually watch the movie shouldn't be rewarded?

You are not making any valid points. You have to look at the bigger picture. You have to think about what is good for Newgrounds as a whole. If 20,000 BLAM points doesn't mean anything, than neither would 10,000 experience points I guess if you go by your thinking.

Well whatever then Wade. Its no use arguing if you don't consider any of the points I've tried to make valid. I'll just quiet down now and go back to getting my 10,000 daily blams. I'm done complaining.

BBS Signature
BooDestroyer
BooDestroyer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-15 18:11:34 Reply

Here's my impression of BLAM-hungry freaks - "YARRRR! THAT RECENT SUBMISSION IS LABELED VERGE OF DEATH!! I MUST NOT WASTE TIME WATCHING SUCH SHIT! I NEED A BLAM RIGHT NOW! MORE BLAMS MAKE ME COOL!! YAAAARRRRRRR!!!"

No! Bad! BAD!

Where can we change our auras and where are our "settings"?

EarthCrisis
EarthCrisis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-16 22:34:23 Reply

Who made me say Who gives a shit shut up i do not care if you a masturbation freak i do not care if a friend told you i do not care. Ever tried to search type in anything and at lease 1 thing will come up on it.

EarthCrisis
EarthCrisis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-16 23:51:22 Reply

7 minutes until we can voter again!

EarthCrisis
EarthCrisis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-16 23:53:43 Reply

How do we change our aura? Tell me Wade, Tom, or liljim

Siiike
Siiike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-19 14:38:40 Reply

yep

Liquidz2k
Liquidz2k
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-23 23:10:39 Reply

At 10/13/02 06:06 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Very shortly we will be implementing some changes to the voting system. As many of you know we check a movie's score at the 25th, 50th, 75th, and 100th vote. If the score falls below the current check points threshold it is BLAMMED! In the past we had only rewarded the user who casts the deciding vote the BLAM point. We have decided this was unfair to everyone else who contributed in BLAMMING a movie. So now when you log in and you vote either 0 or 1 on a movie and it ends up getting BLAMMED, you will receive a BLAM point! Currently users hold back their vote to try and be the one to get the BLAM point. This causes the Portal to be less efficient. With the new system users will be encouraged to vote as quickly as possible or risk losing their chance at a point!

On the other side of the coin, users voting 2-5 on a movie that doesn't get BLAMMED will be rewarded with a PROTECTION point. We may come up with a snazzier term for this down the road, any suggestions? So if you vote 0 on a good movie, you may risk getting no points as all! Also if you vote 5 on a crappy movie, you will risk losing a point.

The first vote you cast is the vote that will be recorded in our system. This means you better watch the submission and submit an honest vote, as you can't come back the next day and submit a different vote to try and get a point.

We are also debating what to do about the auras. We have found a lot of people vote 0 on good movies just to get a DARK aura. Should we just let users select whatever aura they want in their user settings? Let us know what you think! Also be sure to continue to report bugs you find by leaving a comment to this post, or LilJim's previous post! Thanks!

Question, where can we view all these rules? I'm a bit new, and am wondering how the whole system works. right now I have 9 blam points, and 5 protection points but I don't get anything for it, and I'm just trying to figure out why.

doc-smooth69
doc-smooth69
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-11-06 22:51:53 Reply

Does the 5 experience point still functioning. I refered several people and they put mah name down but got shut. They joined and everything, i got nada, zip, zelch,kaputuz....Has anyone else have that problem. I just want to get more experience point to protect the good stuff and kill off the crap.

yetieater
yetieater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-11-17 08:20:40 Reply

yup. BLAM.

you didn't see nothing, capisce?

TheAmericanDream
TheAmericanDream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-12-07 14:20:14 Reply

YES!! MORE BLAM POINTS!!!

whocares666
whocares666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-12-07 20:40:39 Reply

Wade I think that the better voting system is the only good thing that has happened to newgrounds latley.

Enhanced voting system!

GameChild214
GameChild214
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Filmmaker
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2013-08-11 19:46:56 Reply

At 10/14/02 12:08 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Awesome!!

Welcome to Newgrounds!

Proletarians of the World Unite!