Respond to this Topic
Shear
Shear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 07:43 PM Reply

At 10/13/02 06:06 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Very shortly we will be implementing some changes to the voting system. As many of you know we check a movie's score at the 25th, 50th, 75th, and 100th vote. If the score falls below the current check points threshold it is BLAMMED! In the past we had only rewarded the user who casts the deciding vote the BLAM point. We have decided this was unfair to everyone else who contributed in BLAMMING a movie. So now when you log in and you vote either 0 or 1 on a movie and it ends up getting BLAMMED, you will receive a BLAM point! Currently users hold back their vote to try and be the one to get the BLAM point. This causes the Portal to be less efficient. With the new system users will be encouraged to vote as quickly as possible or risk losing their chance at a point!

On the other side of the coin, users voting 2-5 on a movie that doesn't get BLAMMED will be rewarded with a PROTECTION point. We may come up with a snazzier term for this down the road, any suggestions? So if you vote 0 on a good movie, you may risk getting no points as all! Also if you vote 5 on a crappy movie, you will risk losing a point.

The first vote you cast is the vote that will be recorded in our system. This means you better watch the submission and submit an honest vote, as you can't come back the next day and submit a different vote to try and get a point.

We are also debating what to do about the auras. We have found a lot of people vote 0 on good movies just to get a DARK aura. Should we just let users select whatever aura they want in their user settings? Let us know what you think! Also be sure to continue to report bugs you find by leaving a comment to this post, or LilJim's previous post! Thanks!

selectables auras are a good idea

You can't deny its epicness!

BBS Signature
Blackberry-Clock
Blackberry-Clock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 07:54 PM Reply

Since were kicking around new ideas, would it be possible to put BBS posts in user profiles, and let "favorite flashes" be selectable?

That would be wonderful : )

Dopefish
Dopefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Reader
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 08:00 PM Reply

At 10/14/02 07:54 PM, Blackberry_Clock wrote: Since were kicking around new ideas, would it be possible to put BBS posts in user profiles, and let "favorite flashes" be selectable?

{{{Blackberry_Clock}}}

Have a lot of time on your hands? Want to help some starving children eat for free? Visit Free Rice and start playing today. Each correct answer donates 20 grains of rice!

BBS Signature
Steve84
Steve84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer

At 10/13/02 06:06 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Very shortly we will be implementing some changes to the voting system. As many of you know we check a movie's score at the 25th, 50th, 75th, and 100th vote. If the score falls below the current check points threshold it is BLAMMED! In the past we had only rewarded the user who casts the deciding vote the BLAM point. We have decided this was unfair to everyone else who contributed in BLAMMING a movie. So now when you log in and you vote either 0 or 1 on a movie and it ends up getting BLAMMED, you will receive a BLAM point! Currently users hold back their vote to try and be the one to get the BLAM point. This causes the Portal to be less efficient. With the new system users will be encouraged to vote as quickly as possible or risk losing their chance at a point!

On the other side of the coin, users voting 2-5 on a movie that doesn't get BLAMMED will be rewarded with a PROTECTION point. We may come up with a snazzier term for this down the road, any suggestions? So if you vote 0 on a good movie, you may risk getting no points as all! Also if you vote 5 on a crappy movie, you will risk losing a point.

The first vote you cast is the vote that will be recorded in our system. This means you better watch the submission and submit an honest vote, as you can't come back the next day and submit a different vote to try and get a point.

We are also debating what to do about the auras. We have found a lot of people vote 0 on good movies just to get a DARK aura. Should we just let users select whatever aura they want in their user settings? Let us know what you think! Also be sure to continue to report bugs you find by leaving a comment to this post, or LilJim's previous post! Thanks!

hey wade I like the new voting styestem it rocks good job.

Steve84
Steve84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer

hey wade I like the new voting styestem it rocks good job.

WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 08:17 PM Reply

At 10/14/02 04:47 PM, SoulRifter wrote: Hmm I'm seriously starting to reconsider this new way of blamming you suggested. Sure the old way is unfair to all of the other people who contributed to the blam, but didn't actually get it, but thats sort of the point. Once 25 people or more will be getting blams at one time, and in a whole lot easier fashion, blams will not mean as much anymore. I realize the way they are usually earned now isn't right, but at the same time, you are earning the blam you get. With the new system, some asshole might get lucky and get a blam, for just happening to vote on a movie which eventually got deleted. He didn't work as hard, or have the same amount of patience as the person who did get the blam. I've spent a lot of good time timing my votes just to get a blam, and if the system is changed, my 50, hard earned blams will mean almost nothing, because soon blams will be so easy to get its laughable. You probably don't think it will be that easy to get blams Wade, but I can almost bet we'll work away around it soon enough.

I still think the protection points thing is a good idea, but I just hope a Justice Club, or whatever that was mentioned back there, won't form. Some movies deserve to die, and getting points for saving crap might turn out to be a bad thing.

I don't think what you are thinking will happen. The BLAM club only goes after crappy movies, they don't go around just blamming things. I expect more people to get BLAMS and of course it will be much easier to get BLAM points, but those who help remove crap from the portal deserve to get credit, not just the 1 person who happend to cast the deciding vote, which may have been a 5! Someone could vote 5 on total crap and get rewarded with a BLAM! Now they won't. On the other side anyone who helps ensure a good movie is protected will get a point.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER
Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK
Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
Joe
Joe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 08:18 PM Reply

At 10/14/02 08:00 PM, SoulRifter wrote:
At 10/14/02 07:54 PM, Blackberry_Clock wrote: Since were kicking around new ideas, would it be possible to put BBS posts in user profiles, and let "favorite flashes" be selectable?

{{{Blackberry_Clock}}}

Thats the best idea here (coming in second would be the auras, and coming in... wait it doesn't come in third because it SUCKS, the new voting system)

The point is... Don't lose your dinosaur.

BBS Signature
BooDestroyer
BooDestroyer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 08:24 PM Reply

Wow, that's great!

Do you make the 25th, 50th, 75th, or 100th vote by voting 2-5 for a PROTECTOIN point if the movie survives?

And yes, we users should change our auras ourselves in our settings! That would be a whole lot better! I swear!

Joe
Joe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 08:25 PM Reply

At 10/14/02 08:17 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
At 10/14/02 04:47 PM, SoulRifter wrote: Hmm I'm seriously starting to reconsider this new way of blamming you suggested. Sure the old way is unfair to all of the other people who contributed to the blam, but didn't actually get it, but thats sort of the point. Once 25 people or more will be getting blams at one time, and in a whole lot easier fashion, blams will not mean as much anymore. I realize the way they are usually earned now isn't right, but at the same time, you are earning the blam you get. With the new system, some asshole might get lucky and get a blam, for just happening to vote on a movie which eventually got deleted. He didn't work as hard, or have the same amount of patience as the person who did get the blam. I've spent a lot of good time timing my votes just to get a blam, and if the system is changed, my 50, hard earned blams will mean almost nothing, because soon blams will be so easy to get its laughable. You probably don't think it will be that easy to get blams Wade, but I can almost bet we'll work away around it soon enough.

I still think the protection points thing is a good idea, but I just hope a Justice Club, or whatever that was mentioned back there, won't form. Some movies deserve to die, and getting points for saving crap might turn out to be a bad thing.
I don't think what you are thinking will happen. The BLAM club only goes after crappy movies, they don't go around just blamming things. I expect more people to get BLAMS and of course it will be much easier to get BLAM points, but those who help remove crap from the portal deserve to get credit, not just the 1 person who happend to cast the deciding vote, which may have been a 5! Someone could vote 5 on total crap and get rewarded with a BLAM! Now they won't. On the other side anyone who helps ensure a good movie is protected will get a point.

Yes, the Blam club only targets crap, but the blam club members aren't the only people that give 0's, this morning when I came on, there was a pretty good movie at about 10 votes a score of 0 and # of views 0. It was probably blammed, if there are some people that are just desperate for blams, and they KNOW that if they vote a 0 they will get a blam eventually they will just vote no matter what. Before if they WANTED blams, then they will hold off until the 25th vote by then there could have been people that watched it and gave it good scores. But because they will get a blam anyway now they could just say "Screw it, Ill just vote and get my blam later" and there goes a good movie.

BBS Signature
Shadow-1
Shadow-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 08:28 PM Reply

wade, what you fail to realize is, if a group decides to target a user, say they target a new movie submitted by a respectable user who creates 3 or 4 point work, if they get enough people to vote bad on it, they can blam it and they all get points for blamming a good movie. Not only did they just BLAM a good movie, but they get rewarded with a blam point, ALL OF THEM. How good is that system now? I speak on behalf of a few from the Blam Club, of whom do not like this idea, one of our top blammers who had retired when she hit 1337 (that's one thousand three-hundred and thirty-seven) blams. Now she has 1338 thanks to this crappy system you have now. She voted a 1 and got a point she didn't want, thus ruining what she had strived very hard to accomplish. Please do us a favour and please just stick to what the voting system used to be.

BooDestroyer
BooDestroyer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 08:29 PM Reply

Hey, favorite Flashes IS selectable in user profiles!

Oh, if you don't mean it like that, then nevermind.

So anyways, our favorite Flashes in user profiles shouldn't be the FIRST ONES that we like. We should select those - Probably.

Joe
Joe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 08:50 PM Reply

At 10/14/02 08:28 PM, Silent_Shadow_2049 wrote:

wade, what you fail to realize is, if a group decides to target a user, say they target a new movie submitted by a respectable user who creates 3 or 4 point work, if they get enough people to vote bad on it, they can blam it and they all get points for blamming a good movie. Not only did they just BLAM a good movie, but they get rewarded with a blam point, ALL OF THEM. How good is that system now? I speak on behalf of a few from the Blam Club, of whom do not like this idea, one of our top blammers who had retired when she hit 1337 (that's one thousand three-hundred and thirty-seven) blams. Now she has 1338 thanks to this crappy system you have now. She voted a 1 and got a point she didn't want, thus ruining what she had strived very hard to accomplish. Please do us a favour and please just stick to what the voting system used to be.

Also, the other user who has 1,337 blams voted 0 on a few crap movies earlier this morning, he still has 1,337 blams but at least one of those movies will be blammed and he will also lose his amount that he worked hard for.

BBS Signature
iOcide
iOcide
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 09:28 PM Reply

i no like this idea.

iOcide
iOcide
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 09:31 PM Reply

At 10/14/02 09:28 PM, iOcide wrote: i no like this idea.

i just feel bad for that dude that has 1337 blams.

Joe
Joe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 09:32 PM Reply

At 10/14/02 09:31 PM, iOcide wrote:
At 10/14/02 09:28 PM, iOcide wrote: i no like this idea.
i just feel bad for that dude that has 1337 blams.

2 people have/had 1337 blams, and they both in the blam club so its not like they can just stop voting (when they got 1337 blams they both stopped casting the last vote, but they still both helped vote, now they can't even do that without messing it up)

BBS Signature
DUDE4U2
DUDE4U2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 09:44 PM Reply

yea i noticed that people hold back there vote to get the blam. well i think this should work nicely. but i don't know. this might start something up so i'm not gonna fully back it all the way up

which really sucks right now because i didn't know this before i voted today. so i just voted a whole bunch of crap today so. oh well i guess i'll have tomorrow to do it :)

that's good because i've seen that happen lots of times that people want there submittions to live or get higher rankings

well to be honest i don't believe the dark aura thing it's probably tru but for me i've been dark aura the whole time i've been here. i've always voted 0 but i vote 0 on the shit i think is shit!! i dont' vote on everything 0 like others. but yea i think that would be a good idea for people to change it because i would actually like to see a neutral or hell even a light on my account. but i don't wanna vote high on shit! to have to get it there. I REFUSE TO DO IT!! besides i'm a dark aura and i'm part of the blam club that would go against everything i work for!!

DUDE4U
DUDE4U
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 09:46 PM Reply

At 10/14/02 09:44 PM, DUDE4U2 wrote:
yea i noticed that people hold back there vote to get the blam. well i think this should work nicely. but i don't know. this might start something up so i'm not gonna fully back it all the way up
which really sucks right now because i didn't know this before i voted today. so i just voted a whole bunch of crap today so. oh well i guess i'll have tomorrow to do it :)
that's good because i've seen that happen lots of times that people want there submittions to live or get higher rankings
well to be honest i don't believe the dark aura thing it's probably tru but for me i've been dark aura the whole time i've been here. i've always voted 0 but i vote 0 on the shit i think is shit!! i dont' vote on everything 0 like others. but yea i think that would be a good idea for people to change it because i would actually like to see a neutral or hell even a light on my account. but i don't wanna vote high on shit! to have to get it there. I REFUSE TO DO IT!! besides i'm a dark aura and i'm part of the blam club that would go against everything i work for!!

sorry about that all of you i wuz depositing for my 2nd account for somebody since he's gone for the weekend. plz keep this in mind of my account if u think on it wade ^_^ thx

Steve84
Steve84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 10:03 PM Reply

how will I know if i get protect point, blam point wade.

Steve84
Steve84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 10:06 PM Reply

wade it rocks I also agee about the aurus light does not really apeal to me

WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 10:17 PM Reply

At 10/14/02 05:13 PM, TheJoe324 wrote: Exactly, Getting a blam used to be something special, I got 800 by BEING the blamming vote, now all you have to do is vote bad on it and you get rewarded. I don't know HOW many movies I missed and I didn't get angry that I didn't get the blam, I just knew I had to try harder next time. If you make it easier to get blams, they lose their whole meaning. BLAMMING a movie means that you casted the last vote, not that you vote 0 on it. When I look at my blam count, I want to know that I took out that many movies on the last vote, not that I HELPED that many movies get blammed.

What's the difference? You were part of the problem. You and everyone else who held their vote back and didn't vote unless you had a chance to get a BLAM. This caused many movies to sit at 22-23 votes for a long time, and maybe never reach 25. If a movie is crap, and someone votes 0 to remove it they are doing their job, it's not a bad vote, it's a good vote if the movie deserves to be removed. So that person should be rewarded for helping to filter the system. Why should you be the only one rewarded because you cast the vote that triggers the check point? You didn't cast the deciding vote, you just casted another vote. The 24 people who voted before you are the ones who decided if the movie should come or go, you just jumped in and stealed the show. If a movie is a .30 and you come in at 25 and vote 5 the movie would be blammed and you would be rewarded for trying to vote 5 on a piece of crap movie, is that fair?

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 10:23 PM Reply

At 10/14/02 05:29 PM, TheJoe324 wrote: Yeah, now there can be up to 24 people that DIDN'T actually BLAM the movie getting credit for blamming it, of course their vote helped in getting it blammed. but they just hurt it, they didn't KILL it, which is exactly what a BLAM is, when you KILL or DELETE the movie off of the site. I would have NO problem if "Blams" and "Blam points" were separated, but instead they are just added to your normal blam count like you "BLAMMED" the flash. No matter how you would like to think they are the same, they are NOT. Lets see here, taken directly from the FAQ:

Q: What is a BLAM?

A: A "BLAM" is the slang term used to describe the deletion of a Portal movie due to low user scores. Users are credited for BLAMS, and have even formed a BLAM Club!

The DELETION of a portal movie, votes 1-24, 26-49 51-74 and 76-99 don't DELETE the movie, they HELP it towards deletion, but they don't directly delete it, so why are they getting credit for Blams?

You guys really make yourselves sound like a couple of pricks. :)

"Yeah, now there can be up to 24 people that DIDN'T actually BLAM the movie getting credit for blamming it, of course their vote helped in getting it blammed."

You say, "of course their vote helped in getting it blammed." BINGO MORON! They watched the movie, they took the time to vote, they help filter out crap, why shouldn't they get credit? If they spend everyday filtering content on NG and have 5,000 BLAMS GOOD FOR THEM! There will still be people who spend more time filtering content, and they will have higher stats that almost everyone. Maybe a lot of people will have 500 blams, but you'll have 8,000!

Here's your next foolish example:

"A "BLAM" is the slang term used to describe the deletion of a Portal movie due to low user scores. Users are credited for BLAMS, and have even formed a BLAM Club!"

The deletion of a Portal movie due to low user scores! User scores! Not just YOU the deciding vote! It was BLAMMED because of low user scores! ALL THE USERS WHO VOTED LOW! GET IT!?!?!?

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
BooDestroyer
BooDestroyer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 10:29 PM Reply

FOR THE LOVE OF FUCK...

1. Let us change our auras in our user profiles! No, really - Voting high on crap and low of badass-ness makes us complete fools.

2. Tell us how we can get these so-called "PROTECTION" points. In detail - if you can.

3. Don't hunger for BLAMS so much, everyone! Watch before you vote 0 or 1!

That should hopefully clear some things up. I swear.

WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 10:31 PM Reply

At 10/14/02 07:31 PM, Silent_Shadow_2049 wrote: exactly, if i vote 0 on something and it's not within the blam range, i dont want a point for it getting blammed in the future. Like i said in an IRC chat, blamming is considered a skill, you have to earn a BLAM, not just vote 0 on something that is going to be blammed 5 minutes. You can't be lazy about this, do you realize how many blams a person can get within a 24 hour period now? you could get 34-100 or more a day, what good is that? It's just like EXP, blams were meant for one person and ONE preson only. It makes no sense to give out free blams to anyone willing to vote a zero on a good or bad movie. THIS SYSTEM IS FLAWED, FIX IT.

No, the system was flawed before. Look. When you say it takes "Skill" to get a BLAM, what a bunch of BS. Your "skill" means you are all sitting around waiting for a movie to get 24 votes so you can all pounce on it. That's skill? I call that holding back a vote, prolonging the existence of crap on the portal! I call that inefficient filtering of new submissions! Maybe you didn't notice that most of the submissions in the 50 most recent didn't have 20 votes by the time they left the list! Maybe you didn't notice now they have MANY more votes because people are not holding back their votes! This was the problem, and this is why we changed the system. If someone watches 30 movies in a day and votes 0 on 15 of them and 13 of them end up getting blammed, they deserve to get 13 blam points for taking the time to watch the movie and vote. You think you should only get a point because you may not have even watched the movie and you saw "hey, this movie is going to be blammed, I'll just wait and throw a 0 at it!" That's not skill! That's cherry picking! Why should the poor guy that actively watches every submission come in, and votes promptly on it never get any points? Some honest faithful voter could watch everything and vote honestly on it early on, and then you come along, Mr. Cherry Picker, and vote when it's at a checkpoint and get your points. Why shouldn't the other guy who's probably working harder not get a point too?

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 10:35 PM Reply

If you spent all that time to get your blam totalto say 1337 it should say "LOSER". Are you people here to make your BLAM total say "1337" or help filter the new content on NG? If all you are here to do is spell 1337 in your profile we don't need you.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
BooDestroyer
BooDestroyer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 10:40 PM Reply

At 10/14/02 10:35 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
If you spent all that time to get your blam totalto say 1337 it should say "LOSER". Are you people here to make your BLAM total say "1337" or help filter the new content on NG? If all you are here to do is spell 1337 in your profile we don't need you.

Yeah, I'm with you Wade.

Extreme BLAMmage does not make you cool. Only biased.

Joe
Joe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 10:41 PM Reply

The two people who previously had 1337 amount of blams DID help out after, they just never casted the blamming vote after that. they vote down tons of shit every day to help it get filtered out so don't say that they don't help get crap blammed.

BBS Signature
Shadow-1
Shadow-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 10:46 PM Reply

At 10/14/02 10:31 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
At 10/14/02 07:31 PM, Silent_Shadow_2049 wrote: exactly, if i vote 0 on something and it's not within the blam range, i dont want a point for it getting blammed in the future. Like i said in an IRC chat, blamming is considered a skill, you have to earn a BLAM, not just vote 0 on something that is going to be blammed 5 minutes. You can't be lazy about this, do you realize how many blams a person can get within a 24 hour period now? you could get 34-100 or more a day, what good is that? It's just like EXP, blams were meant for one person and ONE preson only. It makes no sense to give out free blams to anyone willing to vote a zero on a good or bad movie. THIS SYSTEM IS FLAWED, FIX IT.
No, the system was flawed before. Look. When you say it takes "Skill" to get a BLAM, what a bunch of BS. Your "skill" means you are all sitting around waiting for a movie to get 24 votes so you can all pounce on it. That's skill? I call that holding back a vote, prolonging the existence of crap on the portal! I call that inefficient filtering of new submissions! Maybe you didn't notice that most of the submissions in the 50 most recent didn't have 20 votes by the time they left the list! Maybe you didn't notice now they have MANY more votes because people are not holding back their votes! This was the problem, and this is why we changed the system. If someone watches 30 movies in a day and votes 0 on 15 of them and 13 of them end up getting blammed, they deserve to get 13 blam points for taking the time to watch the movie and vote. You think you should only get a point because you may not have even watched the movie and you saw "hey, this movie is going to be blammed, I'll just wait and throw a 0 at it!" That's not skill! That's cherry picking! Why should the poor guy that actively watches every submission come in, and votes promptly on it never get any points? Some honest faithful voter could watch everything and vote honestly on it early on, and then you come along, Mr. Cherry Picker, and vote when it's at a checkpoint and get your points. Why shouldn't the other guy who's probably working harder not get a point too?

Ok, lemme set some stuff straight. When we hold Blam sessions at the blam club, we work hard IF NOT HARDER than most of these people here. It takes a lot of time and effort to hold these sessions, and a LOT of prep work. And these LOSERS you are referring to are what we call Targetmasters/mistresses, they are responsible for bringing crap submissions up for review, and are responsible for the blams. I only do the refresh thing when i haven't gotten a blam in days. Most of the time i either just vote on a VOD or just vote and not worry, i only have 71 blams, i could have double or triple that if i really wanted, but im happy with what i have.

Thanks for dropping by the Blam Club IRC channel, though. I'm sure this will all work out so that everyone is happy.

Testerline
Testerline
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 10:47 PM Reply

I think the vote counter should be removied. If there is no vote counter then people dont know when a movie is about to be blammed so they wont wait to vote one it because they wont know which vote will be the blam vote. I think this would solve the problem.

Dopefish
Dopefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Reader
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 11:03 PM Reply

Umm Wade I think you fail to realize how important blams are to people. Before this new system, it was something special to get a blam. Now all I have to do is sit in the portal, and vote 0 on every single one of the lowest scoring submissions, and I am practically guranteed a blam. I've accumulated 16 new blams today, in hardly any time at all. The way you intended the blamming system to work in the first place may not have been the way it turned out, but thats the way it IS. How can you tell someone, no matter how retarded you think it is, that getting an 1337 number of blams is lame? You don't seem to realize how much time people really contribute to this site, and how important something seemingly so insignificant as an exact number of blams is to them. What you've basically done with this new blamming system, is taken away something which once meant something to some of us, and turned it into a game, which anyone can win if they have even the slightest amount of intelligence. Now it takes absolutely no effort to get a blam, where it once took patience, and exact timing to succeed. And no, just because those people contribute to a blam doesn't mean they got the blam. All they did was set up the kill for someone else to make. They didn't blam the movie, they just prepared it to die. Its two different things, and I think you are stretching the Blamming FAQ to an extent which makes it agreeable with your terms.

Have a lot of time on your hands? Want to help some starving children eat for free? Visit Free Rice and start playing today. Each correct answer donates 20 grains of rice!

BBS Signature
Dopefish
Dopefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Reader
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 14th, 2002 @ 11:37 PM Reply

I also realize that blamming is meant to clear out the crap on this site, and its not just for personal bragging rights, but you have to understand that a lot of people, atleast I think so, DO want blams because it looks good. I guess thats the whole idea behind my argument. A lot of people don't really give a shit about blams, but a lot of people around here do too, even if they won't admit it. Why else would they strive to get an "1337" number of blams? If they're blam club members, shouldn't they keep on blamming regardless of their count? I guess they can always contribute to the votes and set up the blam for someone else, but look at how they get all angry when they get one more blam. It ruins their number of 1337, and shows that they really only care about status, rather that service. I can see that the way you want this to work, is so that more people will get credit for cleaning out the portal, but at the same time, people are going to be angry, because something they had so much pride in doing before now holds no challenge. Its like a novelty to get blams instead of a reward for servicing the portal. Does this even make sense? I hope you atleast know where I'm coming from here.

BBS Signature