Respond to this Topic
BanjoJPussywhistle
BanjoJPussywhistle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 10:40:13 Reply

Isn't this encouraging herd conformity? Vote like everyone else, get a cookie, whee? Vote your opinion if you thought it was el crappo muy grande, and we take your cookie away and feed you to wolves? I mean, jeez, Newgrounds never struck me as this sort of site before. I'm not even trying to gain points, I have no personal concern in this, I mean I have been a regular for years and you see my level, for crying out loud. But the fact still remains that this is just a big-ass promo spot for conformity. Me no rikee. Me no rikee at all.

uhoh-spagettio
uhoh-spagettio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 10:44:41 Reply

Have 5 auras or even more, this would show a persons individuality alot better.. Create a new aura and call it something like.. 'Moody' with a purple background :D which would show the user changes from voting 0 on decent movies to 5 on others. Although that could be caused because of the users taste... And so on. The aura system would be much more fun with more of them in it :)

<deleted>
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 10:50:07 Reply

ok, now, the voting system is now MUCH cooler, but thats not what made me write. I cant even vote, you see. there's something so fucked up, that i cant press even the vote buttons. that makes me REALLY mad. That problem, whatever it is, could be just my computer, but if you can do anything to it then do. Im angry.

<deleted>
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 10:57:01 Reply

I did. - Hopliitti

apackageofchicken
apackageofchicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 11:24:41 Reply

this sounds like an incredibly good idea!

the best idea i ever had was to put a plastic goose on a skateboard light it on fire and send it down the road.

DaFreak
DaFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 11:27:33 Reply

Can you lose voting power in this new system, Wade?

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 12:08:14 Reply

Awesome!!

Please subscribe "As the old saying goes...what was it again?" .·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
I-sKi-In-SnOw
I-sKi-In-SnOw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 12:08:18 Reply

At 10/14/02 07:51 AM, Midnight_eye wrote: How about, instead of letting ppl choose their own aura, you leave the current auras as they are, and add a new one. Anyone with a record of voting 0 for too many movies, just to get a dark aura, should be given a TRYHARD aura instead.

i agree!

Homercide
Homercide
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 12:08:33 Reply

Blam Points and Protection Points sounds like a good idea. As for the aura, allowing people to pick sounds well, but wouldn't do so defeat the purpose of the whole Aura idea? People who vote low most of the time can be light as well as the other way around for the dark. Just a thought.

Enhanced voting system!

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 12:23:00 Reply

At 10/13/02 11:47 PM, Ice_Demon wrote:
At 10/13/02 11:46 PM, Ice_Demon wrote: Oh my god. I disapper from NG for 1 month and my popularity sinks 42,000 slots.
my bad. I ment 62,000 slots

What's with the popularity stuff?

Please subscribe "As the old saying goes...what was it again?" .·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 12:42:39 Reply

At 10/14/02 10:40 AM, BanjoJPussywhistle wrote: Isn't this encouraging herd conformity? Vote like everyone else, get a cookie, whee? Vote your opinion if you thought it was el crappo muy grande, and we take your cookie away and feed you to wolves? I mean, jeez, Newgrounds never struck me as this sort of site before. I'm not even trying to gain points, I have no personal concern in this, I mean I have been a regular for years and you see my level, for crying out loud. But the fact still remains that this is just a big-ass promo spot for conformity. Me no rikee. Me no rikee at all.

You don't have to like it. You can vote however you want. Obviously points and status mean nothing to you, so why should the new system upset you? It's more to encourage better habits out of those who do care about the points and status. We aren't forcing anyone to conform. We don't punish anyone, we simply reward those who help filter through new submissions. They won't always get a point for their vote, but they will aquire a lot more points than they do currently.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
Misteroo
Misteroo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 13:11:52 Reply

Y'know what, guys? You couldn't have thought up better ideas. These are excellent ideas. With this, more terrible films will be destroyed, and people will be able to vote honestly without the fear of losing a their 'dark' or 'light' title. Keep up the good work!

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 13:40:18 Reply

At 10/13/02 06:12 PM, sketch0587 wrote: I think the protection/blam points idea is great, and i also think we should be able to choose our auras. keep up the good work!

I agree!

BBS Signature
Joe
Joe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 14:03:39 Reply

For some reason I have a feeling this will lead to some good movies being blammed.

Lets just say there are 25 people not caring what the quality of the movie is, normally, they each would have held back until a blamming threshold (which COULD let in more 5's and the movie could be saved) but since they know "Hey, if I vote now, Ill get a blam anyway <clicks 0>" if all 25 do that, then a good movie will be blammed without getting a proper chance. And since it wont negatively effect them, what do they have to lose by doing it? Sure the old way didn't give credit to the 24, 49, 74, or 99 other people who voted, but at least those movies could get fair judgement.

The point is... Don't lose your dinosaur.

BBS Signature
Dopefish
Dopefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Reader
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 16:47:30 Reply

Hmm I'm seriously starting to reconsider this new way of blamming you suggested. Sure the old way is unfair to all of the other people who contributed to the blam, but didn't actually get it, but thats sort of the point. Once 25 people or more will be getting blams at one time, and in a whole lot easier fashion, blams will not mean as much anymore. I realize the way they are usually earned now isn't right, but at the same time, you are earning the blam you get. With the new system, some asshole might get lucky and get a blam, for just happening to vote on a movie which eventually got deleted. He didn't work as hard, or have the same amount of patience as the person who did get the blam. I've spent a lot of good time timing my votes just to get a blam, and if the system is changed, my 50, hard earned blams will mean almost nothing, because soon blams will be so easy to get its laughable. You probably don't think it will be that easy to get blams Wade, but I can almost bet we'll work away around it soon enough.

I still think the protection points thing is a good idea, but I just hope a Justice Club, or whatever that was mentioned back there, won't form. Some movies deserve to die, and getting points for saving crap might turn out to be a bad thing.

Have a lot of time on your hands? Want to help some starving children eat for free? Visit Free Rice and start playing today. Each correct answer donates 20 grains of rice!

BBS Signature
RAVEN
RAVEN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 16:59:53 Reply

i keep getting an error for every movie that i vote for! it keeps saying "error...you've already voted for this movie today...the next ground gold session starts (time)". i've tried voting for 10 movies and none of them have worked. i hope it's not just me, and hopefully it's a problem on NG that can be fixed. well, just lettin' ya know. cya

Psykloak1
Psykloak1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 17:04:59 Reply

At 10/13/02 06:06 PM, WadeFulp wrote:

:Should we just let users select whatever aura they want in their user settings?

Oh Hay'll yayss! !

Dopefish
Dopefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Reader
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 17:06:43 Reply

At 10/14/02 04:59 PM, RAVEN wrote: i keep getting an error for every movie that i vote for! it keeps saying "error...you've already voted for this movie today...the next ground gold session starts (time)". i've tried voting for 10 movies and none of them have worked. i hope it's not just me, and hopefully it's a problem on NG that can be fixed. well, just lettin' ya know. cya

Try voting on some movies that you DIDN'T vote on yesterday. You shouldn't get that error then. Remember, you can only vote on movies once per day. Also, if you have a younger (or even older) brother or sister who uses NG's, and they vote on a movie, you will not be able to vote on that same movie, even under a different account. This happens to me a lot when my brothers vote on some movie, and then it won't let me vote on it.

Have a lot of time on your hands? Want to help some starving children eat for free? Visit Free Rice and start playing today. Each correct answer donates 20 grains of rice!

BBS Signature
Joe
Joe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 17:13:00 Reply

At 10/14/02 04:47 PM, SoulRifter wrote: Hmm I'm seriously starting to reconsider this new way of blamming you suggested. Sure the old way is unfair to all of the other people who contributed to the blam, but didn't actually get it, but thats sort of the point. Once 25 people or more will be getting blams at one time, and in a whole lot easier fashion, blams will not mean as much anymore. I realize the way they are usually earned now isn't right, but at the same time, you are earning the blam you get. With the new system, some asshole might get lucky and get a blam, for just happening to vote on a movie which eventually got deleted. He didn't work as hard, or have the same amount of patience as the person who did get the blam. I've spent a lot of good time timing my votes just to get a blam, and if the system is changed, my 50, hard earned blams will mean almost nothing, because soon blams will be so easy to get its laughable. You probably don't think it will be that easy to get blams Wade, but I can almost bet we'll work away around it soon enough.

I still think the protection points thing is a good idea, but I just hope a Justice Club, or whatever that was mentioned back there, won't form. Some movies deserve to die, and getting points for saving crap might turn out to be a bad thing.

Exactly, Getting a blam used to be something special, I got 800 by BEING the blamming vote, now all you have to do is vote bad on it and you get rewarded. I don't know HOW many movies I missed and I didn't get angry that I didn't get the blam, I just knew I had to try harder next time. If you make it easier to get blams, they lose their whole meaning. BLAMMING a movie means that you casted the last vote, not that you vote 0 on it. When I look at my blam count, I want to know that I took out that many movies on the last vote, not that I HELPED that many movies get blammed.

BBS Signature
Dopefish
Dopefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Reader
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 17:18:22 Reply

At 10/14/02 05:13 PM, TheJoe324 wrote:

Exactly, Getting a blam used to be something special, I got 800 by BEING the blamming vote, now all you have to do is vote bad on it and you get rewarded. I don't know HOW many movies I missed and I didn't get angry that I didn't get the blam, I just knew I had to try harder next time. If you make it easier to get blams, they lose their whole meaning. BLAMMING a movie means that you casted the last vote, not that you vote 0 on it. When I look at my blam count, I want to know that I took out that many movies on the last vote, not that I HELPED that many movies get blammed.

Yeah this is what I was trying to say. I don't think Wade realizes this though. I bet he truly thinks that changing the blamming system won't make it any easier for people to get blams, because someone still has to get the deciding vote, but YES it does make it easier. I guess I can't really speak for Wade, but if I was him that's what I'd be thinking to myself. Right now Blams mean something to a great deal of people, and changing the system will make them more common, and eventually worthless. I like to think of blams as kills, as a record of the amount of crap I've helped clear off of the Portal. Just giving throwing blams around to undeserving people makes the whole taints the whole concept of getting a blam in the first place. Just voting 0, and getting lucky if the movie is blammed, isn't the same as sitting there, and waiting for who knows how long to actually EARN the blam.

BBS Signature
Dopefish
Dopefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Reader
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 17:22:40 Reply

*Wow I really fucked up my previous post. For anyone who had trouble understanding it, the following post is what I meant to say.*

Yeah this is what I was trying to say. I don't think Wade realizes this though. I bet he truly thinks that changing the blamming system won't make it any easier for people to get blams, because someone still has to get the deciding vote, but YES it does make it easier. I guess I can't really speak for Wade, but if I was him that's what I'd be thinking to myself. Right now Blams mean something to a great deal of people, and changing the system will make them more common, and eventually worthless. I like to think of blams as kills, as a record of the amount of crap I've helped clear off of the Portal. Just throwing blams around to undeserving people taints the whole concept of getting a blam in the first place. Just voting 0, and getting lucky if the movie is blammed, isn't the same as sitting there, and waiting for who knows how long to actually EARN the blam.

BBS Signature
Joe
Joe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 17:29:58 Reply

At 10/14/02 05:18 PM, SoulRifter wrote:

Yeah this is what I was trying to say. I don't think Wade realizes this though. I bet he truly thinks that changing the blamming system won't make it any easier for people to get blams, because someone still has to get the deciding vote, but YES it does make it easier. I guess I can't really speak for Wade, but if I was him that's what I'd be thinking to myself. Right now Blams mean something to a great deal of people, and changing the system will make them more common, and eventually worthless. I like to think of blams as kills, as a record of the amount of crap I've helped clear off of the Portal. Just giving throwing blams around to undeserving people makes the whole taints the whole concept of getting a blam in the first place. Just voting 0, and getting lucky if the movie is blammed, isn't the same as sitting there, and waiting for who knows how long to actually EARN the blam.

Yeah, now there can be up to 24 people that DIDN'T actually BLAM the movie getting credit for blamming it, of course their vote helped in getting it blammed. but they just hurt it, they didn't KILL it, which is exactly what a BLAM is, when you KILL or DELETE the movie off of the site. I would have NO problem if "Blams" and "Blam points" were separated, but instead they are just added to your normal blam count like you "BLAMMED" the flash. No matter how you would like to think they are the same, they are NOT. Lets see here, taken directly from the FAQ:

Q: What is a BLAM?

A: A "BLAM" is the slang term used to describe the deletion of a Portal movie due to low user scores. Users are credited for BLAMS, and have even formed a BLAM Club!

The DELETION of a portal movie, votes 1-24, 26-49 51-74 and 76-99 don't DELETE the movie, they HELP it towards deletion, but they don't directly delete it, so why are they getting credit for Blams?

BBS Signature
Dopefish
Dopefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Reader
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 17:35:06 Reply

At 10/14/02 05:29 PM, TheJoe324 wrote:

Yeah, now there can be up to 24 people that DIDN'T actually BLAM the movie getting credit for blamming it, of course their vote helped in getting it blammed. but they just hurt it, they didn't KILL it, which is exactly what a BLAM is, when you KILL or DELETE the movie off of the site. I would have NO problem if "Blams" and "Blam points" were separated, but instead they are just added to your normal blam count like you "BLAMMED" the flash. No matter how you would like to think they are the same, they are NOT. Lets see here, taken directly from the FAQ:

A: A "BLAM" is the slang term used to describe the deletion of a Portal movie due to low user scores. Users are credited for BLAMS, and have even formed a BLAM Club!

The DELETION of a portal movie, votes 1-24, 26-49 51-74 and 76-99 don't DELETE the movie, they HELP it towards deletion, but they don't directly delete it, so why are they getting credit for Blams?

Right. Helping delete a movie is not the same as actually deleting it yourself.

BBS Signature
Joe
Joe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 17:39:49 Reply

At 10/14/02 05:35 PM, SoulRifter wrote:
At 10/14/02 05:29 PM, TheJoe324 wrote:

Yeah, Ive gotten 7 blams (that I wasn't the blamming vote on) since this system started and I don't want them because the only person that should have them is the person who finished off the movie.

BBS Signature
Dopefish
Dopefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Reader
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 17:39:50 Reply

Or I could say it this way. Buying bullets and a gun for someone who is going to commit a murder, isn't the same as being the murderer. You might get credit for assisting in the crime, but you still aren't the one who actually killed someone.

BBS Signature
Joe
Joe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 17:46:29 Reply

At 10/14/02 05:39 PM, SoulRifter wrote:
Or I could say it this way. Buying bullets and a gun for someone who is going to commit a murder, isn't the same as being the murderer. You might get credit for assisting in the crime, but you still aren't the one who actually killed someone.

Yes, so if I vote 0 on something Im not the blammer, Im the assisted blammer and I shouldn't get credit for the blam.

BBS Signature
d4z
d4z
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Programmer
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 19:28:18 Reply

I think that is a great idea, and the aura's should be set by the user in their profiles! Keep up the great work!

d4z
d4z
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Programmer
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 19:30:18 Reply

At 10/14/02 07:28 PM, singydaz wrote: I think that is a great idea, and the aura's should be set by the user in their profiles! Keep up the great work!

What I actually meant to write, was that if you assist the BLAM you could get 1 point, but if you get ti yourself, then maybe you should get 10. Or something like that!

Shadow-1
Shadow-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 19:31:10 Reply

At 10/14/02 05:46 PM, TheJoe324 wrote:
At 10/14/02 05:39 PM, SoulRifter wrote:
Yes, so if I vote 0 on something Im not the blammer, Im the assisted blammer and I shouldn't get credit for the blam.

exactly, if i vote 0 on something and it's not within the blam range, i dont want a point for it getting blammed in the future. Like i said in an IRC chat, blamming is considered a skill, you have to earn a BLAM, not just vote 0 on something that is going to be blammed 5 minutes. You can't be lazy about this, do you realize how many blams a person can get within a 24 hour period now? you could get 34-100 or more a day, what good is that? It's just like EXP, blams were meant for one person and ONE preson only. It makes no sense to give out free blams to anyone willing to vote a zero on a good or bad movie. THIS SYSTEM IS FLAWED, FIX IT.

Ice-Demon
Ice-Demon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 19:40:41 Reply

I hate those fuckheads who give movies/games 0 just cuz they don't like 1 thing they did in it. If ya don't like 1 thing they did in it take off 1 of the total mark you give it don't Just give it 0.