Respond to this Topic
Joe
Joe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 01:09:26 Reply

I think the old system was fine, everyone is gonna be getting hundreds of blams a day now (Plus the fact that it keeps giving me the "Error Extreme Load" thing)

The point is... Don't lose your dinosaur.

BBS Signature
Madgoose
Madgoose
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 01:51:21 Reply

Leave the aura rating as is. That way you can tell what someone's critique really means. I have seen way too many a good concept or solid piece get butchered.

WE NEED MORE ESKIMO BOB!!!!!

the-unknown-soldier
the-unknown-soldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 01:57:59 Reply

Yeah i posted this in little jims as well but...the auto sign in doesn't work any more. I hate having to type my password...and don't change the aura because if you have people voting high to get light (lots of people do) and people voting low to get dark(same amount really) then it evens out..an aura has to be earned don't go cheating people by making a normal voter be able to vote low.... Also you should have like a little 'kick option' so if a user is being mean to other people you click it and if anuf people click then you or tom get an email and check it out and if they are bad then you can kick em out of newground...also... survival points????? mab i donno

mattymetro
mattymetro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Melancholy
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 02:07:21 Reply

Can I BLAM other users? I mean make it so that just I can blam other people.. because I am an active participant in NG activities and HAQnSPITT and SYMBIONT2 didnt give me huggles!!

Smankin
Smankin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 02:16:33 Reply

Good call on the voting thing, i think you should put a lock on voting for your own movies, you know from the one account or IP address or something, coz i bet a lot of people do that just to try and keep there movies on ng

yuppicide
yuppicide
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 02:35:55 Reply

I like the idea of the new changes. I for one would like to see a lot more.. I think of it as a role playing game with different classes. I'd like to see more skills..

Something like this: you select a class, but you can't select aura.. warrior class - he has the ability to do more damage with a mighty blow of his sword. If the warrior has a dark aura he'll have a a random chance to do a little more damage. If he has a neutral aura he'll just be, well a warrior. If he has a light aura or whatever then he is more of a weakling and randomly his sword blows do a little less damage. Another class could be a Mage - this guy casts spells and is the opposite of a warrior. Where a warrior can randomly do more damage if dark aura, the mage has the ability to cast spells and can randomly raise a vote.. ie: when he votes on 3-5 his votes can randomly count for a little more, whereas warrior votes 0-2 and randomly his votes count more.. you should get my idea. It needs some fine tuning.

At 10/13/02 06:06 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Very shortly we will be implementing some changes to the voting system. As many of you know we check a movie's score at the 25th, 50th, 75th, and 100th vote. If the score falls below the current check points threshold it is BLAMMED! In the past we had only rewarded the user who casts the deciding vote the BLAM point. We have decided this was unfair to everyone else who contributed in BLAMMING a movie. So now when you log in and you vote either 0 or 1 on a movie and it ends up getting BLAMMED, you will receive a BLAM point! Currently users hold back their vote to try and be the one to get the BLAM point. This causes the Portal to be less efficient. With the new system users will be encouraged to vote as quickly as possible or risk losing their chance at a point!

On the other side of the coin, users voting 2-5 on a movie that doesn't get BLAMMED will be rewarded with a PROTECTION point. We may come up with a snazzier term for this down the road, any suggestions? So if you vote 0 on a good movie, you may risk getting no points as all! Also if you vote 5 on a crappy movie, you will risk losing a point.

The first vote you cast is the vote that will be recorded in our system. This means you better watch the submission and submit an honest vote, as you can't come back the next day and submit a different vote to try and get a point.

We are also debating what to do about the auras. We have found a lot of people vote 0 on good movies just to get a DARK aura. Should we just let users select whatever aura they want in their user settings? Let us know what you think! Also be sure to continue to report bugs you find by leaving a comment to this post, or LilJim's previous post! Thanks!
DuMa-RyoHahn
DuMa-RyoHahn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 02:49:55 Reply

I can't vote. It says that the site is under extream load when I try to vote on something.

Enhanced voting system!

Hikitsuri
Hikitsuri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 02:53:37 Reply

At 10/14/02 12:57 AM, ShadowCreeper wrote: I think we should be able to choose a fucking picture cuz I hate having this fucking lolliipop in my hand. I AM THE CREEPER DAMNIT I DO NOT EAT LOLLIPOPS. I EAT BOWLS OF NAILS FOR BREAKFAST..................WITH NO MILK!!!!!!!!

Comedy at it's best :)

Enhanced voting system!

Adam-Z
Adam-Z
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 03:00:09 Reply

I likr the protection point idea, since i ussually vote high on movies most people hate...

but of course this new system will make it SUPER-EASY to get blams... so i don't know if that's a good thing...

Adam-Z
Adam-Z
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 03:01:53 Reply

At 10/14/02 12:57 AM, ShadowCreeper wrote: I think you guys should put thatdark light aura matter on the front page so we can vote.( like the who's your favorite mascot poll.) and I think we should be able to choose a fucking picture cuz I hate having this fucking lolliipop in my hand. I AM THE CREEPER DAMNIT I DO NOT EAT LOLLIPOPS. I EAT BOWLS OF NAILS FOR BREAKFAST..................WITH NO MILK!!!!!!!!

dude, just deposit xps for a couple days, and you won't be a lollipop... st00pid n00b

Bardock4
Bardock4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 03:05:05 Reply

THE OLD VOTING SYSTEM WAS FINE. FOR SOME REASON I CAN'Y VOTE AT ALL ANYMORE IS IT THE NEW SYSTEM WHO KNOWS? I DON'T!!!!

Bardock4
Bardock4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 03:07:08 Reply

At 10/14/02 01:09 AM, TheJoe324 wrote: I think the old system was fine, everyone is gonna be getting hundreds of blams a day now (Plus the fact that it keeps giving me the "Error Extreme Load" thing)

THAT'S WHAT I'AM TALKING ABOUT THAT FUCKIN THING THAT BEEN PISSING ME OFF "Error Extreme Load" IT'S GIVING ME THE SHITS BECAUSE I CAN'T VOTE ON ANY THING!!!

Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 03:46:06 Reply

i like the ideas,
im sure tom will get it going off but i dont agree with the suggestions of different colours it is riduculas and if u do that there is no point to it and you may as well get rid of it what next choose your own picture for where your level usually is, where does it end... plus having all different colours would not help the bandwidth issue remember thats how all this started!! u already have 30 pics (30 levels x 3 auruas) how many can it take!!

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature
Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 03:51:44 Reply

WHAT?? im a light aura,
i was neutral yesterday
and dark the day b4

wierd!!
whats the story

BBS Signature
DarkDB
DarkDB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 03:55:48 Reply

Obviously SOME people are getting through when voting. The newest movies have votes, but tremendously bad stats because of it. Looks like peoeple just want to be able to vote and get through for their experience. Saw one movie with a score of 0.00/5.00 with 14 votes and 0 views. You guys better fix this quick.
I'm pretty pissed myself. 5 points away from level 10. I thought I was gonna get it tonight. DAMMIT!

Inglis
Inglis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 04:02:32 Reply

I like this new system, BUT THEN AGAIN I HATE IT...ever since this new way of voting came along, all ive been getting is "error server under extreme load". Now im no expert, but i think that this is becase of the new information thats being traficing, obviosly rite? But maybe it could be that newgrounds is gettting an unusual ammount of hits today....

Enhanced voting system!

Alastor
Alastor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 04:09:54 Reply

At 10/14/02 02:53 AM, CaffeineAddict wrote:
At 10/14/02 12:57 AM, ShadowCreeper wrote: I think we should be able to choose a fucking picture cuz I hate having this fucking lolliipop in my hand. I AM THE CREEPER DAMNIT I DO NOT EAT LOLLIPOPS. I EAT BOWLS OF NAILS FOR BREAKFAST..................WITH NO MILK!!!!!!!!

i agree! i'm invisocola not dsome blak guy trying to show his rage against the world! i'm a talking pop can for gods sake!

BBS Signature
GunPanther
GunPanther
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 05:13:46 Reply

I guess that the new rating system is kind of 'buggy' considering that NG is 'under extreme load' even at 2:20am. That's why my kitty "Mittens" is in such a bad mood. Can't you see it in her face? :P

Enhanced voting system!

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 05:31:00 Reply

At 10/14/02 05:13 AM, GunPanther wrote: I guess that the new rating system is kind of 'buggy' considering that NG is 'under extreme load' even at 2:20am. That's why my kitty "Mittens" is in such a bad mood. Can't you see it in her face? :P

Sorry guys - I know what was causing that problem and have fixed it. Things should be running more smoothly now.

FlashChicken
FlashChicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 05:32:21 Reply

At 10/13/02 06:06 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Very shortly we will be implementing some changes to the voting system. As many of you know we check a movie's score at the 25th, 50th, 75th, and 100th vote. If the score falls below the current check points threshold it is BLAMMED! In the past we had only rewarded the user who casts the deciding vote the BLAM point. We have decided this was unfair to everyone else who contributed in BLAMMING a movie. So now when you log in and you vote either 0 or 1 on a movie and it ends up getting BLAMMED, you will receive a BLAM point! Currently users hold back their vote to try and be the one to get the BLAM point. This causes the Portal to be less efficient. With the new system users will be encouraged to vote as quickly as possible or risk losing their chance at a point!

On the other side of the coin, users voting 2-5 on a movie that doesn't get BLAMMED will be rewarded with a PROTECTION point. We may come up with a snazzier term for this down the road, any suggestions? So if you vote 0 on a good movie, you may risk getting no points as all! Also if you vote 5 on a crappy movie, you will risk losing a point.

The first vote you cast is the vote that will be recorded in our system. This means you better watch the submission and submit an honest vote, as you can't come back the next day and submit a different vote to try and get a point.

We are also debating what to do about the auras. We have found a lot of people vote 0 on good movies just to get a DARK aura. Should we just let users select whatever aura they want in their user settings? Let us know what you think! Also be sure to continue to report bugs you find by leaving a comment to this post, or LilJim's previous post! Thanks!

I agree with the voting once thing, once you votes cast it should stay that way.

Also as for aura's, to be honest I wouldn't mind if they were abolished altogether, I mean the only purpose that they seem to serve is making immature 13yr olds vote low on every movie that they find, just to get a dark aura for no other reason than they think its "cool".

Don't get me wrong I like the idea of aura's, but if people are not going vote properly there isn't much point having them. On a good note though, with aura's the way they are now I have have a fairly good idea of who I'm talking to at the time.

Skull-Man-1
Skull-Man-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 06:18:04 Reply

Hold the aura for now and the idea for Protection is a nice one.

Enhanced voting system!

Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 06:23:03 Reply

i hope u guys (wade, tom, jim ect.) r watching these posts-

the ecp points for other things eg. reviewing, posting on bbs. is a brillant idea i wish i thought of it!!

i tried reviewing movies for awhile but there was no point cause all your helpfull tips get deleted when the movie gets blammed if there was a reward i would do it more often plus all reviews should be emailed to the person when there movie gets blammed or to say 200 votes!!

thanks

-----

LOOP!Corp. "we are taking ova."
-
BLAM CLUB MEMBER -- THE CRAP NEVER ENDS

BBS Signature
Skull-Man-1
Skull-Man-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 06:28:29 Reply

I've also seen my aura changed in to DARK. I'm not happy about this, it's make me look dangerous. I DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT.

Enhanced voting system!

Skull-Man-1
Skull-Man-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 06:40:28 Reply

It might be a idea by gaining experience by previews, voting can be done by everybody. The game is you can gain 2 points for every review you make and with a maximum of 10 points each day.

Enhanced voting system!

WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 06:43:00 Reply

At 10/13/02 10:10 PM, Blackberry_Clock wrote: How will the new voting system affect voting on old portal submittions?

It wouldn't be any different, unless the old submission still didn't have 100 votes.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER
Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK
Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 06:47:03 Reply

At 10/13/02 10:42 PM, kornstar08562 wrote: How can everyone get so excited over some different voting options when it take over 5 mins just to get on the site and another 5 mins to get a movie to load. The NG staff should be working on getting the servers in better working shape before thinking of adding more flashy stuff to clog up the bandwith

We already have cleaned up the servers the best we can. If you haven't noticed the site does run better and with many less errors. However, if you try to access the site during heavy traffic times (3pm-11pm EDT) it's going to be slow. We are working on trying to get more servers, but there is only so much you can do on our limited budget. You just have to realizez that not many sites get the traffic Newgrounds does, and that we are serving a ton of informnation. A site that has twice our traffic may not serve out as much data as we do because of all the .SWF's people are watching, and no, deleteing older crappy .SWF's wouldn't make any difference. It's all the good Flash people are watching, like a single entry 30,000 times everyday.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
chakaflange
chakaflange
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 06:47:57 Reply

id like to give myself a dark aura cos the light ones making me feel like a right poofter.

Enhanced voting system!

WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 06:49:04 Reply

At 10/13/02 11:15 PM, TropicanaClock wrote: Yo un ban me from your chat room this is inconvient I didnt flood seriously i didnt i was not doing a thing i got baned with out warning to I would of stoped if some one asked me to stop what I was doing which was not flooding oh well ack guess im out of luck at the moment well unban me if you will

This isn't the place to discuss your chat room ban. We have a chat help email address, or you could email me directly. Obviously because you decided to take it up here you are an idiot and most likely deserve your ban.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 06:52:42 Reply

At 10/14/02 12:57 AM, ShadowCreeper wrote: I think you guys should put thatdark light aura matter on the front page so we can vote.( like the who's your favorite mascot poll.) and I think we should be able to choose a fucking picture cuz I hate having this fucking lolliipop in my hand. I AM THE CREEPER DAMNIT I DO NOT EAT LOLLIPOPS. I EAT BOWLS OF NAILS FOR BREAKFAST..................WITH NO MILK!!!!!!!!

If you don't want the lolli start depositing experience points and it will go away quickly.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
Midnight-eye
Midnight-eye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! 2002-10-14 07:51:51 Reply

How about, instead of letting ppl choose their own aura, you leave the current auras as they are, and add a new one. Anyone with a record of voting 0 for too many movies, just to get a dark aura, should be given a TRYHARD aura instead.