Be a Supporter!

Enhanced voting system!

  • 5,169 Views
  • 175 Replies
Respond to this Topic
WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 06:06 PM Reply

Very shortly we will be implementing some changes to the voting system. As many of you know we check a movie's score at the 25th, 50th, 75th, and 100th vote. If the score falls below the current check points threshold it is BLAMMED! In the past we had only rewarded the user who casts the deciding vote the BLAM point. We have decided this was unfair to everyone else who contributed in BLAMMING a movie. So now when you log in and you vote either 0 or 1 on a movie and it ends up getting BLAMMED, you will receive a BLAM point! Currently users hold back their vote to try and be the one to get the BLAM point. This causes the Portal to be less efficient. With the new system users will be encouraged to vote as quickly as possible or risk losing their chance at a point!

On the other side of the coin, users voting 2-5 on a movie that doesn't get BLAMMED will be rewarded with a PROTECTION point. We may come up with a snazzier term for this down the road, any suggestions? So if you vote 0 on a good movie, you may risk getting no points as all! Also if you vote 5 on a crappy movie, you will risk losing a point.

The first vote you cast is the vote that will be recorded in our system. This means you better watch the submission and submit an honest vote, as you can't come back the next day and submit a different vote to try and get a point.

We are also debating what to do about the auras. We have found a lot of people vote 0 on good movies just to get a DARK aura. Should we just let users select whatever aura they want in their user settings? Let us know what you think! Also be sure to continue to report bugs you find by leaving a comment to this post, or LilJim's previous post! Thanks!


Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER
Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK
Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
sketch0587
sketch0587
  • Member since: May. 15, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 06:12 PM Reply

I think the protection/blam points idea is great, and i also think we should be able to choose our auras. keep up the good work!


One of two well known BonusStage alts

3D-French-Fry
3D-French-Fry
  • Member since: Apr. 22, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 06:15 PM Reply

Well, I'm highly critical of flash movies, so a lot of my votes are low. There just isn't much that impresses me, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. Having a dark aura doesn't seem right, because it makes it look like I vote zero on everything. That's not true, but I do vote low the majority of the time. I'd still enjoy the selection option, because I'd love to be neutral. That way, people can have some security in knowing I'm not a zero guy.

Also, the changes have been working very well for me so far, and I think liljim is doing great things for the Newgrounds systems. This site will only continue getting better if more people like him pitch in their expertise.

As for protection and blam points, I NEVER get blam points, but I know I contribute, so I'd like to have recognition.. that sounds neat. Protection points, however.. how do they work? A counter to blam points? That's like another aura. People complain about auras, how will their blam/protection record make them feel?

Good Ideas, but make sure you look at pros and cons. I'm sure it'll all turn out great. You guys always figure out how to do it just right.

Joxa
Joxa
  • Member since: Jan. 3, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 06:16 PM Reply

is a good idea. instead of protection maybe it could be called a police point??? or maybe not. As for the auras thing, i think ppl just like the idea of the colours. so allow ppl to choose diffrent coulours! blue red green orange pink etc. this is just an idea take notes if u wish. Bye! (if u use ne of these ideas plz thank me!!)

3D-French-Fry
3D-French-Fry
  • Member since: Apr. 22, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 06:21 PM Reply

Also: Some people just vote 5 movies every day to get experience. I know this because sometimes I do it. If it were possible, could there be different ways to earn experience? I've been here for 3 or so years, and I've always been dissapointed by the limits of experience you can earn. I think other things should have rewards, and everything a limit. For instance:

5 votes a day for 2 points each.

Maybe some new limited but possible point-getters.

3 Reviews a day for 3 points each?

Submit a flash and after 100 votes it's a 1.2? 12 points right there! 2.5 is a 25 point gain!

Message board threads? High Scores? The possibilities are limitless, and if you set them just right, they would still be fair. I'm just getting bored of going through portal entry after portal entry reviewing them... every day. Repitition is not my idea of fun, people-catching web content. I still love you guys, though! :-)

Chloride
Chloride
  • Member since: Jun. 3, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 06:25 PM Reply

I think the new voting systems sounds good. And I also like the idea of picking your own auras. It makes your account seem more personal. So like let us choose from a lot of different colors or types of auras. Or something.

Chloride

Hikitsuri
Hikitsuri
  • Member since: Mar. 28, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 06:30 PM Reply

New voting system, meh. I dont care.
But for the auras, I personally think that they are worthless and should let users have whatever pic they want in that little boxy thingy. Auras are just as worthless as the users favorite movie list that they dont even choose. BUT HEY. THATS JUST MY OPINION.

Vicious-WTFN
Vicious-WTFN
  • Member since: Dec. 26, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 06:30 PM Reply

Is it possible to get negative blams ???

Also terms: (instead of PROTECTION POINT)

FORTIFICATION
Guardian
Shield point

SHAMM[ed]

damoleman22
damoleman22
  • Member since: Aug. 15, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 06:35 PM Reply

i see.....

JordanCastillo
JordanCastillo
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 06:39 PM Reply

I like the idea of the voting system, but when we vote a second time, we dont get a blam or protection point, but does our vote still count?

and as for the auras, unless you plan on having a large selection of colors that dont mean anything, i dont think you should change it because it shows how they think of flash works.

but 3d_french_fry made me think of something, we dont get grounds gold for just being logged in anymore do we?

SupersonicII
SupersonicII
  • Member since: Aug. 18, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 06:42 PM Reply

At 10/13/02 06:39 PM, JordanCastillo wrote: I like the idea of the voting system, but when we vote a second time, we dont get a blam or protection point, but does our vote still count?

and as for the auras, unless you plan on having a large selection of colors that dont mean anything, i dont think you should change it because it shows how they think of flash works.

but 3d_french_fry made me think of something, we dont get grounds gold for just being logged in anymore do we?

nope

SSj7DarthViper3k
SSj7DarthViper3k
  • Member since: Sep. 8, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 06:48 PM Reply

everything your talking about sounds great
That arua idea will help keep great movies from getting blammed simply b/c somebody wants a dark arua

although I have a question
are these Arua's on the forums or something b/c I've never seen the aruas

JordanCastillo
JordanCastillo
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 06:49 PM Reply

they should reinstate that, but make sure theres a way to check for inactivity so people arent logging on and gaining points while they sleep, thusfor you'd get credit for being a part of the site, maybe your on the message board, or reading something or typing an article.

just a thought.

Pantherstrider
Pantherstrider
  • Member since: Jun. 6, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 06:55 PM Reply

For a new name to protection point how does "Aegis Shielding" sound to you? Will there be additional Pico animations for the new system?
All fun N' Games! :D

WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 06:55 PM Reply

At 10/13/02 06:30 PM, Onion_Clock wrote: Is it possible to get negative blams ???

Also terms: (instead of PROTECTION POINT)

FORTIFICATION
Guardian
Shield point

SHAMM[ed]

It isn't possible to get negative BLAMS. We want to reward people with points for removing crap, and for helping to ensure quality work remains on the site.


Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER
Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK
Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 07:03 PM Reply

At 10/13/02 06:39 PM, JordanCastillo wrote: I like the idea of the voting system, but when we vote a second time, we dont get a blam or protection point, but does our vote still count?

You can vote as many times as you want (once a day of course), but only the first vote is recorded, and that is the vote that will be used to determine if you get a point or not. Say you see a movie that's okay, but you want to be a dick and give it a 0. Then you come back the next day and see it's not going to be blammed so you vote 2 or higher so you get a protection point. Well, you won't, because you originally were a bastard and voted 0 and don't deserve a protection point. :) The same goes if you vote 5 on crap to try and keep it from being blammed, and then you come back the next day and see it's going to be blammed anyway and vote 0 or 1. You won't get a point, because your first vote was unfair. :) This will hopefully encourage people to watch a submission and give an honest vote. They can still vote however they want, they just might not get a point, which wouldn't be a big deal to some people. However, some day these points might turn into Ground Gold points or something. :)

and as for the auras, unless you plan on having a large selection of colors that dont mean anything, i dont think you should change it because it shows how they think of flash works.

If we make them selectable, we'll probably just keep them Dark, Neutral, and Light. User's can pick whichever they feel portrays their personality. Maybe we could add more, or make it more like AD&D. Like Evil, Chaotic, Good, etc.

but 3d_french_fry made me think of something, we dont get grounds gold for just being logged in anymore do we?

You have to vote on 5 movies a day to get Experience points.


Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER
Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK
Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 07:05 PM Reply

At 10/13/02 06:55 PM, Dark00Stir-fry wrote: For a new name to protection point how does "Aegis Shielding" sound to you? Will there be additional Pico animations for the new system?
All fun N' Games! :D

Once Tom sets up the Pico vote thing to stay cached he'll bring it back, and most likely make it user selectable. So you can chose to just get text based results if you're on a MAC and can't cache the animation. However, once it's cached it shouldn't take long for 56k users once they've downloaded it for the first time.

Tom could probably make something for when you protect a movie.


Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER
Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK
Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
bOOmertheCHUNKY
bOOmertheCHUNKY
  • Member since: Oct. 3, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 07:07 PM Reply

I think that aura types should be selectable and "PROTECTION" points should be called "COURTESY" points

Pantherstrider
Pantherstrider
  • Member since: Jun. 6, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 07:09 PM Reply

At 10/13/02 06:21 PM, 3D_French_Fry wrote: Also: Some people just vote 5 movies every day to get experience. I know this because sometimes I do it. If it were possible, could there be different ways to earn experience? I've been here for 3 or so years, and I've always been dissapointed by the limits of experience you can earn. I think other things should have rewards, and everything a limit. For instance:

5 votes a day for 2 points each.

Maybe some new limited but possible point-getters.

3 Reviews a day for 3 points each?

Submit a flash and after 100 votes it's a 1.2? 12 points right there! 2.5 is a 25 point gain!

Message board threads? High Scores? The possibilities are limitless, and if you set them just right, they would still be fair. I'm just getting bored of going through portal entry after portal entry reviewing them... every day. Repitition is not my idea of fun, people-catching web content. I still love you guys, though! :-)

Very cool idea! How about getting points for submitting and then additional points for how well it does, like the referal system. So basically we should get something for everything we do? NG is evolving!

bOOmertheCHUNKY
bOOmertheCHUNKY
  • Member since: Oct. 3, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 07:16 PM Reply

At 10/13/02 06:55 PM, Dark00Stir-fry wrote: For a new name to protection point how does "Aegis Shielding" sound to you?

I dont think thats the greatest name because "AEGIS" sounds too much like my name

Rystic
Rystic
  • Member since: Mar. 9, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 07:28 PM Reply

At 10/13/02 06:06 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Very shortly we will be implementing some changes to the voting system. As many of you know we check a movie's score at the 25th, 50th, 75th, and 100th vote. If the score falls below the current check points threshold it is BLAMMED! In the past we had only rewarded the user who casts the deciding vote the BLAM point. We have decided this was unfair to everyone else who contributed in BLAMMING a movie. So now when you log in and you vote either 0 or 1 on a movie and it ends up getting BLAMMED, you will receive a BLAM point! Currently users hold back their vote to try and be the one to get the BLAM point. This causes the Portal to be less efficient. With the new system users will be encouraged to vote as quickly as possible or risk losing their chance at a point!

On the other side of the coin, users voting 2-5 on a movie that doesn't get BLAMMED will be rewarded with a PROTECTION point. We may come up with a snazzier term for this down the road, any suggestions? So if you vote 0 on a good movie, you may risk getting no points as all! Also if you vote 5 on a crappy movie, you will risk losing a point.

The first vote you cast is the vote that will be recorded in our system. This means you better watch the submission and submit an honest vote, as you can't come back the next day and submit a different vote to try and get a point.

We are also debating what to do about the auras. We have found a lot of people vote 0 on good movies just to get a DARK aura. Should we just let users select whatever aura they want in their user settings? Let us know what you think! Also be sure to continue to report bugs you find by leaving a comment to this post, or LilJim's previous post! Thanks!

Blam Club's gonna have a field day!

Enhanced voting system!

dragonzrtite
dragonzrtite
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 07:30 PM Reply

howcome lesbians kissing aint dere no more?????!???????

dragonzrtite
dragonzrtite
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 07:40 PM Reply

put it back on

JordanCastillo
JordanCastillo
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 07:42 PM Reply

At 10/13/02 07:30 PM, dragonzrtite wrote: howcome lesbians kissing aint dere no more?????!???????

cause it was crap.

PimpMasterKDOG
PimpMasterKDOG
  • Member since: Nov. 26, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 07:45 PM Reply

I really hate this system because everybody is entitled to express their opinions on movies through their votes. Just because one particular group of people likes a movie or game, doesn't mean you should push others to vote exactly the same way. Also, how will this work with stolen movies that get high scores? Usually if I see something that is stolen I vote zero so other movies get their deserved recognition.

As for the auras, I agree with what a few people said earlier. You should just have 10 different shades for people to choose from. Maybe have special platinum or gold colors that unlock for those people who recieve daily features.

-->KDOG

baracuda
baracuda
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 07:49 PM Reply

now, will the "protection" and blam points effect the experience of a user? or will they be ornamental, like the blam totals are now?

3D_French_Fry has some great ideas also!

dragonzrtite
dragonzrtite
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 07:50 PM Reply

At 10/13/02 07:42 PM, JordanCastillo wrote:
At 10/13/02 07:30 PM, dragonzrtite wrote: howcome lesbians kissing aint dere no more?????!???????
cause it was crap.

dammit who made it?

EarthCrisis
EarthCrisis
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 07:51 PM Reply

I think the blam and protection point is a good idea. The aura choosing thing on the other hand sucks. I voted 0 on every movie i viewed since i was a level 3 to become dark and just recently I have became dark. If I had a coice i'd choose light though. I have no idea why. Dark is an awsome aura too! as long as you arent nuetral its cool. This enhanced voting system think about it. I would like to see a new animation, not the pico one that was on here and not the stupid text. i do not care if i get a blam point or not. my name will be seen all over the news section once I post on absolutely everything in the News section!

Joe
Joe
  • Member since: Jun. 20, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 07:52 PM Reply

At 10/13/02 07:45 PM, PimpMasterKDOG wrote: I really hate this system because everybody is entitled to express their opinions on movies through their votes. Just because one particular group of people likes a movie or game, doesn't mean you should push others to vote exactly the same way. Also, how will this work with stolen movies that get high scores? Usually if I see something that is stolen I vote zero so other movies get their deserved recognition.

As for the auras, I agree with what a few people said earlier. You should just have 10 different shades for people to choose from. Maybe have special platinum or gold colors that unlock for those people who recieve daily features.

-->KDOG

Yeah, I agree, you shouldn't be punished because you like or don't like a certain movie. If someone gets a bunch of people to vote up his flash or uses multiple accounts to give it a high score, people will be afraid to vote it down because there is a chance it will survive. Then they will get hurt for trying to do the right thing.

It could also lead to a lot of voting down. If there are a lot of people just looking for blams, not caring what the movie is, they might just give 0's to something because they'll know they will eventually get a blam for it. And anyone who knows that is going on would either have to choose to try to save it and be negatively effected, or let it go and it will be blammed.


The point is... Don't lose your dinosaur.

BBS Signature
dragonzrtite
dragonzrtite
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Enhanced voting system! Oct. 13th, 2002 @ 08:00 PM Reply

who made lesbians kissing?