Be a Supporter!
satanclause666
satanclause666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
revenge Aug. 26th, 2005 @ 08:04 PM Reply

revenge. is it one of thoes seven deadly sins (correct me if im wrong)?
what would our lives be like if there was no revenge? I think it would be a lot better because revenge does not heal wounds, although it feels so good sometimes.
what are other peoples veiws on revenge?

fastbow
fastbow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to revenge Aug. 26th, 2005 @ 08:06 PM Reply

Vengance should be given over to God. Not only will it take the anger off your mind, but God will exact vengance in the most perfect way possible.

BreatheBroken
BreatheBroken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to revenge Aug. 26th, 2005 @ 08:08 PM Reply

How about nothing in the first place? Revenge comes as a retaliation of something that was done to them. If that first act was not done, then revenge is eliminated. It's tough, but I wish that it was like that as well.

fastbow
fastbow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to revenge Aug. 26th, 2005 @ 08:15 PM Reply

At 8/26/05 08:08 PM, BreatheBroken wrote: How about nothing in the first place? Revenge comes as a retaliation of something that was done to them. If that first act was not done, then revenge is eliminated. It's tough, but I wish that it was like that as well.

Don't we all? But the scenario you describe is only possible in a perfect world...

BreatheBroken
BreatheBroken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to revenge Aug. 26th, 2005 @ 08:17 PM Reply

At 8/26/05 08:15 PM, fastbow wrote:.

Don't we all? But the scenario you describe is only possible in a perfect world...

Exactly. Which means that no revenge is impossible.

FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to revenge Aug. 26th, 2005 @ 08:23 PM Reply

Excellent first topic.

My band Sin City ScoundrelsOur song Vixen of Doom
HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."

jobelow
jobelow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to revenge Aug. 26th, 2005 @ 08:52 PM Reply

I don't think revenge is considered one of the seven deadly sins, but it could be part of wrath I guess.

My opinion about revenge is that it's a natural defensive act, which is why life has evolved to have anger in the first place. I have no moral problem with someone dealing out revenge, as immediately as possible, to the extent of their capability, as this ultimately makes the exactor of revenge safer from the recipient of the vengeance than before, provided the exactor doesn't later show a subsequent act of weakness and cannot act according to his/her convictions.

Example: Say I'm walking down the street, and someone finds it appropriate to point a gun in my face and ask me for my money. Now, if I wasn't a vengeful person, maybe I would hand over my money, regardless of whether I had a choice or not, because this person obviously wants it bad enough to point a gun in my face, and it's not worth losing my life. But then again, maybe I honestly don't have any (or enough) money, in which case, the agressor would be thoroughly irritated, and might feel inclined to fire said gun.

But assuming that I am a vengeful person, I have forseen this possibility and recieved some training in handling a person pointing a gun at me, in which case I am overcome by vengeful rage, proceed to get out of the line of fire, and seriously wound, torture, or kill the agressor. I feel inclined to believe that the agressor, in his injured, tortured, or dead state, would no longer feel inclined to do harm to my person or my wealth.

The only question left over would be if said agressor has other individuals in his alliance who would seek out to do further harm to me, which by definition would not be revenge, as revenge has already been exacted.

TheMartyr18
TheMartyr18
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to revenge Aug. 26th, 2005 @ 09:21 PM Reply

At 8/26/05 08:06 PM, fastbow wrote: Vengance should be given over to God. Not only will it take the anger off your mind, but God will exact vengance in the most perfect way possible.

I am an atheist, who was raised by christian parents.. One christian philosophy I tend to agree with is to do unto others has youd have them do unto you.. SO I generaally try to be nice to people I meet.. I wont act out of pure revenge, not because I think its much more nobeler to let some all powerful being do it then laugh at my enemies torments, but because it is meaningless to me... If someone is hiurting me on a consistent bases tho I will put a stop to it...

Dilapsor
Dilapsor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to revenge Aug. 27th, 2005 @ 02:53 AM Reply

At 8/26/05 08:04 PM, satanclause666 wrote: revenge. is it one of thoes seven deadly sins (correct me if im wrong)?
what would our lives be like if there was no revenge? I think it would be a lot better because revenge does not heal wounds, although it feels so good sometimes.

Not a deadly sin. Revenge, vengeance, retribution... they're all one in the same. The Bible fully condones retribution, stating that punishments should be "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth," meaning that so long as the punishment suits the crime, justice has been served. Revenge is not a bad thing, it's carelessly dispensing it that is.

To truly know death you must fuck life in the gall bladder.

sADclown0
sADclown0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to revenge Aug. 27th, 2005 @ 03:01 AM Reply

REVANGE IS WHAT U DO, -AFTER THAT U CANT DO ANITHIN ALS

it cant make u fill good 4 ever,
i got alot of peple on my revange list
and its just keep growing bigger, revange is a singh of fear and anger
mixed togather, its a good combination, its 2 good if u ask me

TheDoctor
TheDoctor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to revenge Aug. 27th, 2005 @ 07:00 AM Reply

The only productive result of revenge is to prevent someone from repeating their past mistakes.
An eye for an eye is one of the major downfalls of society.

Failgrounds.

BBS Signature
ampqre
ampqre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to revenge Aug. 27th, 2005 @ 08:47 AM Reply

At 8/27/05 03:01 AM, ve_nom wrote: REVANGE IS WHAT U DO, -AFTER THAT U CANT DO ANITHIN ALS

it cant make u fill good 4 ever,
i got alot of peple on my revange list
and its just keep growing bigger, revange is a singh of fear and anger
mixed togather, its a good combination, its 2 good if u ask me

if you dont kill the peple on your revange list it will keep growing bigger

satanclause666
satanclause666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to revenge Aug. 27th, 2005 @ 01:08 PM Reply

so all in all what everyone seems to think is that revenge is good but only to a certain extent.
as said before, "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth"
exact revenge while inflicting the least amount of damage possible?
heh heh... there seems to be too many questions related to this subject while trying to describe your own personal veiws.

DJ8Ball
DJ8Ball
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to revenge Aug. 27th, 2005 @ 01:12 PM Reply

Revenge is closure whithout clousure there is pain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, wow that made me sound poetic

Dilapsor
Dilapsor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to revenge Aug. 27th, 2005 @ 02:00 PM Reply

At 8/27/05 07:00 AM, -TheDoctor- wrote: The only productive result of revenge is to prevent someone from repeating their past mistakes.
An eye for an eye is one of the major downfalls of society.

You do understand that all "eye for an eye" means is that the the punishment should be equal to the crime, right? It doesn't literally mean that if an eye is poked out, you have to poke the attackers eye out.

TheDoctor
TheDoctor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to revenge Aug. 27th, 2005 @ 04:58 PM Reply

At 8/27/05 02:00 PM, Dilapsor wrote:
You do understand that all "eye for an eye" means is that the the punishment should be equal to the crime, right? It doesn't literally mean that if an eye is poked out, you have to poke the attackers eye out.

According to what you just said, it does.

Failgrounds.

BBS Signature
SpeedMetalSandwich
SpeedMetalSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to revenge Aug. 27th, 2005 @ 09:49 PM Reply

revenge is just one of those things you need to put up with and it can sometimes work in favour for you or just fuck you up

punisher19848
punisher19848
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to revenge Aug. 29th, 2005 @ 04:08 PM Reply

At 8/26/05 08:04 PM, satanclause666 wrote: revenge. is it one of thoes seven deadly sins (correct me if im wrong)?

Vengeance sends a powerful message to those who seek to fuck with your best interests and should be applied as neccisary. It's best to attack the things that your target values most (or at least threaten to, but be credible in your threats) and break the will of your target into doing what you desire of it. Plus, as I mentioned before, there is a deterent effect: if others see how you ruin your targets, they will be less likley to oppose you.

fahrenheit
fahrenheit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to revenge Aug. 29th, 2005 @ 04:24 PM Reply

At 8/27/05 02:00 PM, Dilapsor wrote: It doesn't literally mean that if an eye is poked out, you have to poke the attackers eye out.

Yes, it does.
That saying originated in a kingdom (a long time ago) where the king ordered that whatever the attacker does, he recieves. If he cut an eye out, his eye was ordered to be cut out. If he cut of an arm, he would lose an arm. Those laws where in order for a long time, like hundreds of years before they where changed.

Faith tramples all reason, logic, and common sense.
PM me for a sig.

BBS Signature
Dilapsor
Dilapsor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to revenge Aug. 29th, 2005 @ 04:55 PM Reply

At 8/29/05 04:24 PM, Velocitom wrote:
At 8/27/05 02:00 PM, Dilapsor wrote: It doesn't literally mean that if an eye is poked out, you have to poke the attackers eye out.
Yes, it does.
That saying originated in a kingdom (a long time ago) where the king ordered that whatever the attacker does, he recieves. If he cut an eye out, his eye was ordered to be cut out. If he cut of an arm, he would lose an arm. Those laws where in order for a long time, like hundreds of years before they where changed.

You're referring to the Code of Hammurabi, of King Hammurabi, in ancient Babylon. Ancient Babylon is where most of the jewish mythologies and laws come from. However, King Hammurabi was an extremely just ruler considering the location and time period. I can assure you that even he knew to take it literally would be absurd. Especially if the attacker had no teeth.