Hellraiser
Hellraiser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Flash (Noob) Tutorial Aug. 25th, 2005 @ 01:42 PM Reply

Flash Lessons/ Tutorial

Ok, hello. im hellraiser, and i decided to make this tutorial for those people who are new to flash. i will teach you the basics and a few other things you may need to know to start getting better at flash and make you become a good aniamtor as time goes on.

I have been using flash for about 2 1/2 years now, and i know what im talking about. i may have a low B+ Batting Avereage, and i may not be to good at flash, but i sure do know alot about it.

Ok, lets get Started

Getting Started

OK, this tutorial is for any flash version, from the origional (Damn thats old) to the latest version MX 2004. i would preffer Flash MX (6).

Ok, open up flash, and go to 'File > Save As' save the name of the movie you are trying to pruduce such as 'Battle.fla'
(i would make my own folder, on my desktop or documents, and name it flash files, so i can save all of my flash movies here. and be organized)

ok, the big white box you see is the stage, it is where your animation is going to be seen in the .swf format (Export, will teach later) to change the defualt background color, click on the stage and goto properties (if you have MX, MX2004 it will be on the bottom) for older versions, goto 'Windows>Properties'. it will show a color diologue, change the color from white to any color u want the default background color to be.

Also, you must learn 'Layers' ok, layers are for each like thing u draw, one layer can be for the Music, Bakcground, Charector Arm, Buildings, Scenery. Etc. to add a layer go to 'Insert > Layer' thats about it.

Just mess around with flash a little bit, try to get the hang of drawing, (a good practice is FBF, i will get to that shortly"

Ok, to make a flash movie, F5 (Frame) F6 (Keyframe) F7 (Blank Keyframe)
When you are making a movie, u can use F5 for specific tweening and just adding fames without an animation, you can find an example of F5 (Frame) Here .
F6 is to go to the next frame, but it will be the same thing u see on the previous frame, you can edit the second one, press F6 again, and edit the third one, thats a good way to practice animation. This is an example of what a F6 (Keyframe) should look like, Here .
ok, last F7, which is good for using in FBF (Frame By Frame). F7, adds a blank keyframe, which means, 'it has nothing in it, besides the stage in the background' An example of F7, Here .

FPS (Frames Per Second)

FPS (Frames per second) means how fast the movie will go, if you go 100 frames per second, the movie will run extremely FAST. if you have it on 1, it will goo really slow. 12 is the starting defualt FPS, the more fps you have, the smoother the animation is. i prefer 24 Fps. Great quality and speed, eay to get used to.

To change your FPS (Frames per Second) go to 'Modify > Document' and you will see 'Frame Rate', change it from 12 to 24 or whatever speed you want it to be, Example .

Tweening

Tweening is the most important and most used thing to be used in flash. its unbelievable how useful it can be. i am going to teach you the basic 'Tweening'

Motion Tweening

ok, motion tweeining is bar far the most used tween. heres an easy way to learn how

ok, Draw a Circle, (shape/size/color dont matter). when you are finished, select it with the mouse shown Here . ok, select it and press F8, then select Graphic. Example .
when u are done, (make sure theres nothing else on the frame, just the graphic symbol of the circle) press F5 about. like 10 times, so it geos up to 'Frame 10'. then hit F6. click in the middle frame of the gap, and goto the properties, then on tween, select 'Motion', then on the last frame move the circle graphic to the other side of the Stage. so you should be seeing This , the movie should be looking like this .

Shape Tweening

Same exact thing as the motion tween, except only works with fills, do not use any symbols like graphic symbols or groups to use a shape tween.

Easing

This, i would be happy to teach you, i recently learn this and it can make cool effects like starting clow in tweens then ending fast, such as making a tween in something like This . see the way it starts slow, ends fast, then starts fast then slows down, thats what easing deos.

ok, to 'Ease'. you do the same thing as the tween, follow the directions of the Motion tween, except, when you go to 'Properties > Tween > Motion' theres easing underneeth it where it says motion (after u select motion) change it from 0-100. Example .

ok thats about it for tweens, many good flash artists use tweens for movement, make each part of a charectors body a Graphic or Movie Clip and put it on their own layers, then use motion and easing.

Music

ok, this is how you add music to your movies, in order to get a Song into your flash library, you have to go to 'File > Import to library' then it will show all of your folders and everything, Flash can only import .mp3's and Wavs (that i know of). find the folder of your music and import it.

Go to a frame, (dont f6 each frame, F5 it all the way) and goto to properties and add the music under sound. But it will show its under Event Mode, so change it to 'Stream' and it will play with the frames.

Compressing Music

to compress music, you go to your library, right click the song, select Export Settings then select Mp3 (or whatever file the song is). select the size, then hit ok.

FBF, Frame By Frame

FBF is one of the most simple things to do for animating, u can use the F7 key, and use it for every frame. draw something, press F7 then draw the enxt think u want it to do, if you try this. i suggest u use the 'Onion Tool'

More will be posted when time comes

FBF Continued!! ->

BBS Signature
Hellraiser
Hellraiser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Aug. 25th, 2005 @ 02:01 PM Reply

Lessons Continued
ok, this is the rest of what i was going to teach you. i ran out of room in the last post. sorry...

FBF Continued

ok, you use the 'Onion Tool'
which is found right over Here . This Tool, shows you whats on the frames in front of you so u want see and compare them, so u can write a text, and then use that so u can write over it. here is an axample of my FBF i made in the last 20 minutes. -hellraiser-'s FBF .

FBF (Frame by Frame is very simple)

Actionscript

ok, Actionscript is very hard, programmers use it, animators use it. but 'Basic Actionscript' is used alot. like Stop and Play.

to use actionscript, select a Frame (the frame u want to Stop on) then click F9 (Actionscript bottun) an box will appear, go to 'Movie Control > Stop'
You will get the Code
stop();
In the box in the left.

To make a button, with action script, draw your play button (or just a circle) select it, then Click F8, then select button. Double click on it and edit it, it shows what u want it to do when u go over, click, release, or when its steady. Goto back to Scene 1 (Or whatever u named the Scene) and/or 'Main Stage' and select the button by clicking it. Press F9 and goto movie Control and hit Play
You will get the Code
play();
In the box in the left, put the button on the same frame with the Stop(); Actionscript.

Thats about it for actionscript

Gradients

ok gradients are those mixed colors, giving it the look of it being Shiny and whatever you guys call it. Example Here .

ok do this you go to the color mixer, 'Windows > Color Mixer, and select the colors u want to it to be used as. Color mixer example Here .
Select the two colors u want to do, use it as a fill. its that easy

Well, that is all for today. Thank you for your time and i hope i made a different to somebody and helped people out. If you dont ahve flash, and want to to try it. Download the "Flash MX 2004 30 Day Trial" Here .

Contact

AIM: e2k1el32
Email: h3llrs3r@yahoo.com
MSN: Aarash_Samimi@Hotmail.com

Need help with anything else? Ask me on IM or Email.

BBS Signature
Hellraiser
Hellraiser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Aug. 25th, 2005 @ 02:52 PM Reply

Bonus Tutorial

Ok, this is a Bonus tutorial, because i forgot to explain this in the Actual Tutorial. In case you do not know how to export movies, i mean into .swf format (So you can submit it or host it).

Exporting

Ok, when you are done with your movie, your movie has to be saved. like your "Battle.fla" or what ever your movie is named. to export, go to your "File > Export > Movie".
Title your movie Battle.swf, or whatever.swf. (What ever the title is) and this box will appear. (The .SWF Properties)

keep it like This

Load Order:
Bottom up

Options (Check These):
Generate Size repost, Protect from import (incase u dont want anybody to steal your Movie), (if so) Place Password where it says, "Password:_______"

Then hit ok, or publish.

Thats how you export, sorry to not explain any time sooner.

BBS Signature
TrueDarkness
TrueDarkness
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Aug. 27th, 2005 @ 01:44 PM Reply

Nice job hellraiser. A lot of people are gonna find this helpful. You covered a whole bunch of stuff and I'm sure you spent a lot of time on it. Niiice!

Hellraiser
Hellraiser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Aug. 27th, 2005 @ 02:57 PM Reply

At 8/27/05 01:44 PM, True_Darkness wrote: Nice job hellraiser. A lot of people are gonna find this helpful. You covered a whole bunch of stuff and I'm sure you spent a lot of time on it. Niiice!

Thank You. I'm glad you enjoy it, i felt like making this post so noobs dont always have to look all over for such information. they can just look here. All in 1.

BBS Signature
Mogly
Mogly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Aug. 27th, 2005 @ 03:11 PM Reply

sorry didnt read it all, but one thing you should of done since its so big is have a "search for" bit at the top, were it has the keywords you can search for and it will go to that part of the tut, for instance, for the FPS part you have something like "xcdhdir" to search for (ctrl + F) and it takes you to the top of that tutorial. (if you dont use this, it would be cool if other people did)

WEBSITE
BLOG ~ Dont fuck around with my dog. All that I can see I steal. ~
NG FFR ~ Automatic for the people.

BBS Signature
Hellraiser
Hellraiser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Aug. 27th, 2005 @ 03:13 PM Reply

At 8/27/05 03:11 PM, Mogly wrote:

hmmm, never really thought of that, i usually do it the hard way.

BBS Signature
XenoLogiX
XenoLogiX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Aug. 27th, 2005 @ 04:18 PM Reply

That was pure awesomeness. thanks very much

Daagah
Daagah
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Aug. 27th, 2005 @ 04:38 PM Reply

Thanks man.. You deserve a big cookie..

when life gives you lemons

BBS Signature
liam
liam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Aug. 27th, 2005 @ 04:42 PM Reply

At 8/27/05 02:57 PM, -hellraiser- wrote: Thank You. I'm glad you enjoy it, i felt like making this post so noobs dont always have to look all over for such information. they can just look here. All in 1.

That's what the AS:Main is all about, maybe they should do a Flash:Main which covers all stuff outside actionscript in flash...

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature
lilninja
lilninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Aug. 27th, 2005 @ 05:28 PM Reply

aw good one hellraiser you allways were helpful in the vg caught on tape

bye the way do you no what happened to that?

BBS Signature
Hellraiser
Hellraiser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Aug. 28th, 2005 @ 01:42 AM Reply

At 8/27/05 05:28 PM, lilninja wrote: aw good one hellraiser you allways were helpful in the vg caught on tape

Thank you. i worked hard on everything.

by the way do you no what happened to that?

Oh, it was locked, and no one began to coaperate. So, it died.

BBS Signature
Hellraiser
Hellraiser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Aug. 28th, 2005 @ 04:00 AM Reply

At 8/27/05 04:18 PM, XenoLogiX wrote: That was pure awesomeness. thanks very much

no problem, anytime

if you ever need help just contact me.

BBS Signature
Hellraiser
Hellraiser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Aug. 29th, 2005 @ 07:02 PM Reply

At 8/27/05 04:42 PM, -liam- wrote:
That's what the AS:Main is all about, maybe they should do a Flash:Main which covers all stuff outside actionscript in flash...

Hmmmm, thats not a bad idea.

BBS Signature
Jordanog
Jordanog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Aug. 30th, 2005 @ 09:02 PM Reply

damn, that was good. a lot better than opening up one of those tutorial flashes where you have to hit the next button. thanks man

Sig

Hellraiser
Hellraiser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Aug. 30th, 2005 @ 11:03 PM Reply

At 8/30/05 09:02 PM, Jordanog wrote: damn, that was good. a lot better than opening up one of those tutorial flashes where you have to hit the next button. thanks man

heh, thanks, man.
i worked hard writing this all down for the noobs out there.

BBS Signature
Hellraiser
Hellraiser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Sep. 6th, 2005 @ 10:30 AM Reply

i qill post more information and tuts when the time comes. i will go to a more advance level.

BBS Signature
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Sep. 6th, 2005 @ 11:03 AM Reply

Nice I geuss

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Hellraiser
Hellraiser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Sep. 6th, 2005 @ 02:00 PM Reply

At 9/6/05 11:03 AM, Ninja-Chicken wrote: Nice I geuss

thanks

BBS Signature
Hellraiser
Hellraiser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Sep. 9th, 2005 @ 10:17 PM Reply

At 8/27/05 04:38 PM, dagga wrote: You deserve a big cookie..

Where's my Cookie!? :-P

BBS Signature
Sonichu
Sonichu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Oct. 3rd, 2005 @ 08:24 PM Reply

Hellraiser, I still cannot import music, for some strange reason.....

Hellraiser
Hellraiser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Oct. 18th, 2005 @ 07:59 PM Reply

At 10/3/05 08:24 PM, Sonichu wrote: Hellraiser, I still cannot import music, for some strange reason.....

Just go to File > Import to Library.

Certain music formats do not work, if you are doing something ripped off Windows Media Player (WMA) or Winamp (m3p or something) or iTunes it will not work.

Music formats which will work perfectly are Mp3's and WAV's. If you want to put songs from your CD's. Just use Windows media player and rip them, then i would suggest downloading a WMA-Mp3 Converter. Convert the songs you want to use into Mp3's and import then into flash.

:-D

-hellraiser-
e2k1el32
h3llrs3r@yahoo.com

BBS Signature
smallydude
smallydude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Oct. 18th, 2005 @ 08:15 PM Reply

The stuff on gradients really helped me out man... thanks for taking the time to do this.

Hellraiser
Hellraiser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Nov. 2nd, 2005 @ 09:12 PM Reply

At 10/18/05 08:15 PM, smallydude wrote: The stuff on gradients really helped me out man... thanks for taking the time to do this.

np :-D

BBS Signature
Blaze
Blaze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Programmer
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Nov. 2nd, 2005 @ 09:14 PM Reply

At 8/29/05 07:02 PM, -Hellraiser- wrote: Hmmmm, thats not a bad idea.

It really isnt. You should really consider it.

Lorendraon
Lorendraon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Nov. 3rd, 2005 @ 12:23 AM Reply

okay! but firrrssstt.... WHERE DO I BUY FLASH IN THE PHFILLIIIPPPPIIINNNNEEESSS!!??
oops. i mean Philippines.

Greeley
Greeley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Nov. 3rd, 2005 @ 12:36 AM Reply

I don't thinkt hat many n00bs are going to look at this and understand. I think the only way a n00b can go from being a n00b to an advanced flash artist is by figgeting around with flash and figuring out its many features!

Hellraiser
Hellraiser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Nov. 8th, 2005 @ 11:36 PM Reply

At 11/3/05 12:36 AM, Greeley wrote: I don't thinkt hat many n00bs are going to look at this and understand. I think the only way a n00b can go from being a n00b to an advanced flash artist is by figgeting around with flash and figuring out its many features!

ya once they do that, then they can understand what im talking about. that is why i lef tmany pictures to see.

BBS Signature
Unbrekable
Unbrekable
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Nov. 8th, 2005 @ 11:37 PM Reply

Excelent Tutorial, very useful I hope...!

Xbox 360 ; August 2006 - June 25th 2008

BBS Signature
Hellraiser
Hellraiser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Flash (Noob) Tutorial Nov. 8th, 2005 @ 11:53 PM Reply

ok heres is a few tips for flash

Tips

1. Take your time, and try not to overuse gradients.

2. Never get lazy on your work, accept the lecture you recieve and work on it. when you're making a movie, have somebody BETA it for you, and tell them if it sucks, or if its good, and see what he dislikes and likes and fix the problems.

3. Try to make a small Storyboard for your work, or rough drafts. draw a figure w/ a normal paintbrush, get ideas off it, add and take away. do it 2 times and look it how it improves, then make a third one, which will be your Final . make the final draft with the line tool, use the mouse to give it curves and a smooth edge.

4. Always think before you try something, always have a story to your work, dont add as you go.

5. always practice. try things which seem dificult to you and continue them untill they become easy for you.

7. Have fun!

Shading

Shading is always a good way to give a drawing a better look, a more realistic and nicer look. from what to learn about shading here is a few things which are very helpful.

1. if you are drawing night, make object further away darker then the objects closer.
2. for night, make the sides lighter exposed to light lighter then the other side, make a shine and it has a smooth color. Add a shadow coming from the opposite direction of the light.
3. for day, make objects further away lighter then objects closer to the viewers. add shadows going to opposite direction of the sun.

i hope i made a difference!

Thank you All!

-Hellraiser- 2005/06
AIM: e2k1el32
Email: h3llrs3r@yahoo.com

BBS Signature