New Topic Respond to this Topic
EZ3
EZ3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-22 20:31:09 Reply

If you are for gay marriage (which I am), how do you feel about polygamous marriage?
I support it.

def:
po·lyg·a·my - Pronunciation Key (p-lg-m)
n.

1. The condition or practice of having more than one spouse at one time. Also called plural marriage.

Maus
Maus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-22 20:32:36 Reply

As longas they're of legal age, and aren't being coerced untowardly...

Who cares, really?

stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-22 20:44:04 Reply

Personally I've never seen an example of polygamous marrage that wasen't basicially someone with a harem. So while the princible is something that can be argued the exicution is something that's plain wrong.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
CartesianDiver38
CartesianDiver38
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-22 20:45:10 Reply

i think polygamus marriage should be allowed if everybody knows who the guys married to like the guy cant hide from a girl that hes already got a wife

Data89
Data89
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-23 07:44:48 Reply

yes because women really want to have someone to compete with. this would never happen

lAkiyoshil
lAkiyoshil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-23 07:51:15 Reply

Im against it. From all the examples that I have seen of a polygamy, they have all been harm. The Alot of the Mormons practice polygamy and they have towns (communities) in arizona, new mexico, colorda, utah, and mabye california where they practice polygamy. But what Ive seen of these marriages, alot of them don't work and the majority of them causes harm.

Proteas
Proteas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-23 13:00:04 Reply

I'm against it... I don't like the idea of having multiple sets of in-laws to deal with.

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-23 13:03:35 Reply

At 8/23/05 01:00 PM, Proteas wrote: I'm against it... I don't like the idea of having multiple sets of in-laws to deal with.

Or having multiple women to nag you, and yell at you and have PMS toward you.

ripspeed2
ripspeed2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-23 13:10:41 Reply

I think its fine, but its odd if a man has like 2 wives or 3... he might awsell get like 50 and act like a pimp..then the wives wont get as jealous lol

boyofbrokenglass
boyofbrokenglass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-23 13:22:38 Reply

At 8/22/05 08:31 PM, EZ3 wrote: If you are for gay marriage (which I am), how do you feel about polygamous marriage?
I support it.

I'm ok with it as long as EVERYONE in the marriage agrees to getting married to each other

TheDoctor
TheDoctor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-23 13:27:17 Reply

Well, as long as everyone's up for it, whatever floats your boat.

Failgrounds.

BBS Signature
Music-Man123
Music-Man123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-23 18:40:03 Reply

I think it's stupid. The point of marriage is so you can be united with the love of your life. That's the point of marriage. Now unless there is some other added bomus to it that I don't know about, marrying more than one person is pointless. It'd be no mroe different than being in the original superficial relationship before the marriage occured. How can you love more than one person? If you can't pick, you need help.

But if gay people should be allowed to get married, then it's only fair that polygamy should be legalized because it's harmless, and people enjoy it. Don't understand why you would want to marry two women or 2 men or whatever.

Besides, a man marrying two gold digging bitches is just asking for trouble when they divorce him. Alimony is bad enough when you have divorced one woman, but divorcing two? And what if there's an alimony payment for each of the women, and not just one playment split between the two of them? aha! See?

Speaking of alimony, anyone notice it's always the man that has to pay it? Women wanted equal rights, so they should get every fair share of everything, including our hell. No offense to women, but double standards are not cool.

Memorize
Memorize
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Animator
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-23 18:49:55 Reply

Why wouldnt anyone want that? Man can already barely handle one woman (and the other way around).

Buckdich
Buckdich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-23 18:54:10 Reply

As long as the man has total authority and power over the women, I am all for it. While were at it, I think it should be legal for men to rape their wives and to dispose of them (euthanization b/c it is humane) if they ever become too old to have babies. I should also be able to legally canabilize my women too if the need arises.

holmzito
holmzito
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-23 21:15:30 Reply

I think paligamy is okay, as long as there is a limti of 10 wives. After that it gets a bit absurd, doesn't it? Imagine how much work divorce lawyers would have. Then they would have to make a bunch of new laws, and it would jus take too much time. Why not jsut have 1 wife and 5 mistresses instead?

CartesianDiver38
CartesianDiver38
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-23 22:01:09 Reply

responding to the alimony comment, when two ppl get divorced they split everything in half so a guy could marry a real rich girl and get half of her money too which im expecting will happen with the Spears/Federline marriage

MortifiedPenguins
MortifiedPenguins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-23 22:13:44 Reply

you do realize which people would go into polygamy right the poor ass people in the countries. the rich people wouldn't do that because it splits thier wealth even more, while a poor person would do it to get more kids to work and with more kids, more us aid.

Between the idea And the reality
Between the motion And the act, Falls the Shadow
An argument in Logic

BBS Signature
LadyGrace
LadyGrace
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-23 22:20:34 Reply

I feel that in this day and age, it's not really necessary. There's no overpopulation of women, so really, there's no need for men to take on multiple wives, unless it's just for his own sexual please. And if that's the case, that's not a true foundation for marriage anyway.

Also, a lot of the polygamous marriages in Utah produce juvenile delinquints because of the fact that when the boys in their families turn 18, the "father" throws them out on the street. They don't like males because they're competition, but because of the fact that these boys are thrown on the street, they break the law to survive.

Of course, sometimes polygamy brings about a strong family life, but only during certain times in history and during certain economic situations. Read The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress then you'll see one of the many cases in which I would support polygamy.

BBS Signature
ChibiChii
ChibiChii
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-23 23:39:37 Reply

Polygamy good: in societies that view marriage as a man gifting a woman with security for the rest of her life (usually in destitute countries where women are given a lower-than-crap role in life)

Polygamy bad: in more civilized countries where women are not lower than dirt and you are not doing them really any favor by marrying more than one. Not to mention that they're having some serious problems in (I think Arizona) some state where men to women is roughly 65%-35%, and then on top of that the men take 5+ wives...

I'm all for having a big, happy family, but do you really need to saddle yourself with more nagging women and mouths to feed in order to have one? Just have tons of kids with one wife! Jeebus. I mean, there's one family with 15 or so kids... isn't that enough? o.O

Redbob86
Redbob86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-23 23:46:26 Reply

I actually think the only reason this gay marriage thing is being pushed so hard is because this seems to be just another attempt at changing something that's been long-viewed in a certain way. Most of the people pushing gay marriage are STRAIGHT! I hardly ever hear actual gays talking about it, just straights.

Polygamy is another example, not YET, but it will be. Polygamy isn't a big issue right now, but if this gay marriage thing gets passed, then they'll just move on to something else to try and change, and there's a good chance it will be polygamy. So you can quote me on this, when this gay marriage issue disolves, there will be an equally heated debate over polygamy, even though it isn't an issue right now. Mark my words, it's gonna happen.

JohnGoody
JohnGoody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-26 16:39:09 Reply

At 8/23/05 06:40 PM, Music_Man123 wrote: I think it's stupid. The point of marriage is so you can be united with the love of your life. That's the point of marriage. Now unless there is some other added bomus to it that I don't know about, marrying more than one person is pointless. It'd be no mroe different than being in the original superficial relationship before the marriage occured. How can you love more than one person? If you can't pick, you need help.

But if gay people should be allowed to get married, then it's only fair that polygamy should be legalized because it's harmless, and people enjoy it. Don't understand why you would want to marry two women or 2 men or whatever.

Besides, a man marrying two gold digging bitches is just asking for trouble when they divorce him. Alimony is bad enough when you have divorced one woman, but divorcing two? And what if there's an alimony payment for each of the women, and not just one playment split between the two of them? aha! See?

Speaking of alimony, anyone notice it's always the man that has to pay it? Women wanted equal rights, so they should get every fair share of everything, including our hell. No offense to women, but double standards are not cool.

To the first part, there ARE more than one advantage to marriage. I don't know if you realize this, but the majority of people don't get married because they're in love (of course, this is assuming that love actually does conquer everything) which is easily proven by the 60+% divorce rate in America. Aside from love, though, marriage has other perks such as easier bills (debatable since wife may not want to work), more sex (debatable since wife may be frigid), and children (debatable because couple may not want children). Alright, so everything I said is debatable, but hey, that's marriage.

For the second part, I also agree. If America can accept gay marriage, then it better accept polygamy. After all, everybody involved in a polygamous relationship would know about the other people, so why not?

For the third part, if the guy worries about gold-digger (then again, EVERY man should worry about gold-diggers), then he better watch his ladies' carefully. The problem with many men is when they get a significant other, they tend to either ignore the other person's bad traits or rationalize it. Of course, the result of this is that they end up marrying someone that will screw them over.

For the last paragraph, if you want your fair share in divorce court, then you have approximately two choices. The first choice is to gather information and then get your significant other to sign a pre-nuptial agreement. This doesn't always work (especially if she accuses you of something...), but it's the best chance you have for getting a fair deal in divorce court. The other choice you have is to join Men's Rights Movement. This is, for the most part, not recommended if you like feminists. MRAs (men's rights activists) generally hate feminists to the core.

Music-Man123
Music-Man123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-26 17:51:35 Reply

At 8/26/05 04:39 PM, JohnGoody wrote:
At 8/23/05 06:40 PM, Music_Man123 wrote:

To the first part, there ARE more than one advantage to marriage. I don't know if you realize this, but the majority of people don't get married because they're in love (of course, this is assuming that love actually does conquer everything) which is easily proven by the 60+% divorce rate in America. Aside from love, though, marriage has other perks such as easier bills (debatable since wife may not want to work), more sex (debatable since wife may be frigid), and children (debatable because couple may not want children). Alright, so everything I said is debatable, but hey, that's marriage.

hah, you're right. That is marriage.

For the second part, I also agree. If America can accept gay marriage, then it better accept polygamy. After all, everybody involved in a polygamous relationship would know about the other people, so why not?

A group of people can get to know alot about each other outside of a marriage, even outside a close relationship

For the third part, if the guy worries about gold-digger (then again, EVERY man should worry about gold-diggers), then he better watch his ladies' carefully. The problem with many men is when they get a significant other, they tend to either ignore the other person's bad traits or rationalize it. Of course, the result of this is that they end up marrying someone that will screw them over.

For the last paragraph, if you want your fair share in divorce court, then you have approximately two choices. The first choice is to gather information and then get your significant other to sign a pre-nuptial agreement. This doesn't always work (especially if she accuses you of something...), but it's the best chance you have for getting a fair deal in divorce court. The other choice you have is to join Men's Rights Movement. This is, for the most part, not recommended if you like feminists. MRAs (men's rights activists) generally hate feminists to the core.

I hate any special-interest/activist groups. I'd go for the first choice. Activists, no matter what they are "fighting" for all want to control people's thoughts by controlling opinions and controlling language. Like How PETA is against any form of animal cruelty, even if a vicious animal capable of killing people was put to sleep, or how Feminists want certain things to be called something more PC, like how a manhole cover should be a personhole cover or how they try to get women into careerism because they don't think women should be sitting at home popping out babies every couple months. But this group you said, this MRA, that is the biggest bullshit I've hear. Not saying you're lying to me, but what rights of men are being denied?! If anything, men are the one's denying rights to everyone, so pretty much this organization is filled with men who hate their wives because they don't repect the same sense of modesty used back in the 18th century.

DaRKNeZz1
DaRKNeZz1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-26 18:24:32 Reply

Doesn't affect me so I don't give.

EZ3
EZ3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-26 18:32:52 Reply

this threads about wether it should be legal or not. not weather you support it. dumbasses.

DJ8Ball
DJ8Ball
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-26 21:20:23 Reply

nobody should care how many spouses you have fuckin share the love

Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-26 21:25:02 Reply

the reason it is not legal is because marriage benifits make it so that it is fair if each person marrys another person.

having it would only allow people to cheat the system and wind up having all the friends married to eachother so that they can get tax write offs.

then agian, they could always put a cap on it and all that jazz.

in theory, good idea. in practice..the whole concept of marriage in our society would have to be changed

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 4/20/2014] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature
ReiperX
ReiperX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-27 02:04:26 Reply

I could care less personally. It would be a major legal headache in terms of dirvorces and such, and taxes would be a pain in the ass. So for those points, might as well just leave it legally 1 spouse, and if they are ok withit just have your extra "spouses" live with you eat with you ect.

The-Dran
The-Dran
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-27 04:03:59 Reply

At 8/23/05 10:20 PM, LadyGrace wrote: I feel that in this day and age, it's not really necessary. There's no overpopulation of women, so really, there's no need for men to take on multiple wives, unless it's just for his own sexual please. And if that's the case, that's not a true foundation for marriage anyway.

Also, a lot of the polygamous marriages in Utah produce juvenile delinquints because of the fact that when the boys in their families turn 18, the "father" throws them out on the street. They don't like males because they're competition, but because of the fact that these boys are thrown on the street, they break the law to survive.

Of course, sometimes polygamy brings about a strong family life, but only during certain times in history and during certain economic situations. Read The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress then you'll see one of the many cases in which I would support polygamy.

(Looks at the foolish puuman and laughs)

Hahaha... wrong....

We are mammals, there is always a way higher female population compare to males, take dogs, cats, chimps, whales, dolphins, bats, lions, tigers, bears, rats, kangaroos, Jaguars, leapards, Gorillas, Monkeys, seals, cows, and horse for example. They have female populations usually twice or three times higher than that of males. I think you got your source about the "population" thing from the Hindu reason for polygamy.

And the humans have overpopulated the planet, otherwise we wouldn't be having extreme amount of hunger in Africa that wasn't there a few centuries ago, in China, and in Latin America.

Bible and Torah Wise: Abraham married two women.

The only religion with an actual limit on the number of wives a man can have and the number of husbands a woman can have is Islam. All other polygamy restrictions come from the government regulations and not from religion.

Of course marrying more than woman has its problems.

Polygamy the way it should be:

1) Only marry an addition wife with the approval (sexual and respect and concern wise) of all wives you currently have.

2) Share your wives with equal respect and treat your entire community (you and your wives as complete equals)

3) Don't marry a feminist - let them die out due to having no males willing to reproduce with them. We already have enough problems in this world as it is, we don't need them anyways.

4) Allow your wives to have the freedom of finding a woman of their own that they are eager to share with the community.

5) The true purpose of Polygamy is to establish a perfect union of which acts as a realm of mutual love between multiple people. It berids the ideas of conservatude (Stricting yourself to one person and never leaving him or her). And it allows one person to not be excluded to just one person. Alot of the reason why people cheat on their women or men, is because they are confined the same person all the time. This a natural aspect of all human, eat the same kind of chocolate too long and you'll never eat one ever again. (tis the old saying) What that means is one person can grow tired of another person, if that is the only person they ever express their feelings for. And people that normally bottle up their feelings normally become looneys later in life. So its better to just get done with your needs rather than going along with what everyone else expects you to do. Get my drift?

Here is a better way to explain, one man is married to two women, he dies. They still have each other.

Another story, one man is married to one woman, he dies, what is she suppose to do. She can move on, by the time it takes find another partner like him or not like him at all might take her entire life time.

Now if he had married two women whom he adored, because they both treated him in the manner he liked and respected. Don't you think they'll like the way the same way as he is treated. If true partners of love are suppose to be equal?

The only reason why polygamy doesn't work normally is because one partner (normally the male) abuses the relationship.

I am all for polygamy, but mainly because I seek to find a lover for my lover whom is someone that I too can love. And I am strictly heterosexual.

jobelow
jobelow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-27 04:42:15 Reply

I've been in a polygamous relationship, and it was a pretty pleasant situation.

But anyway, I don't think marriage should be a legal issue at all. It should be between the parties and the deity, deities, or non-existance of deity involved, and marital status shouldn't affect taxation, etc.

TheReveiwer
TheReveiwer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Polygamous Marriage!!!(mmf/fffmm/!) 2005-08-27 06:41:26 Reply

At 8/22/05 08:32 PM, Maus wrote: As longas they're of legal age, and aren't being coerced untowardly...

Who cares, really?

good point

the more the marrier

and all that does show is you have a big heart

I've said this for a long time

more then two people can enter a contract