i fucked up again but you get the point... i guess

voodood6
voodood6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 01:07:42 Reply

At 10/4/02 12:35 PM, TomFulp wrote: Ok... We haven't been getting swarmed with complaints about some of the recent changes, so I'm feeling empowered to keep on messing around. :)

I have temporarily removed the Pico voting animation - so when you vote on movies, you will get the old text-based version. I tested it out and it seemed to get the job done fine.

I don't intend to permanently remove the Pico animation, but I want to see how site performance is changed by the switch. There was an issue where the Pico animation did not cache in browsers. This sucked for 56k users, but also sucked for us because every time someone voted, it was re-downloading a 120k file that could have been cached in their browser.

The reason why it didn't cache was because the variables were passed to the .swf file directly in the html code - making the file name a random assortment of variables every time, and not recognizable by the cache.

There is a way to work around this using SWLiveConnect to import the variables into Flash - so the filename can remain consistent. I tried this many months ago, but users were getting errors. It turns out that Macintosh IE users can't use this function.

Sooo... The ultimate goal is to have both versions. MacIE users will get the text version, as well as anyone who chooses the text version in their prefs. Everyone else will get the Pico animation, which will theoretically cache once in their browser and stay there.

In the meantime - what does everyone think of the text page? Do you like it better anyway? Should we bother to bring back the Pico animation? It sure made voting fun - right? Right?!

AND ONE MORE THING... I'm not 100% sure what will happen when you BLAM a movie on this old version of the code. If anyone blams a movie, let me know if everything works ok - there should be a fun oldskool blam animation that pops up if everything still works.

the site still is as slow as fuck!
ive got a good comp + a really good cable connection but...when it comes to voting ...it takes friggen days (no joke) i`m glad to see that this site has gained in popularity but, i think im getting pretty damn sick of waiting 10 friggen mins for a 127k flash to load..
if it does at all!
i hope all this will pass soon... cause i really miss watching all them great flash movies!
a tired ,tired fan!

GambitsLove
GambitsLove
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 01:16:25 Reply

Well, I like this better, voting goes a LOT faster. Sometimes it took me up to an hour to vote cause I got a LOT of error messages with the Pico animation. No "old school" thing pops up but that's alright by me!

JockStrapJake
JockStrapJake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 01:33:18 Reply

Hey I'm a new guy here. I have a website. http://www.adamsandler.vze.com I think it is a great site so far. And sorry if I'm not supposed to be posting here.
Ciao

-Jake

Jaderaptor
Jaderaptor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 02:10:21 Reply

GAAAAH! I create an awesome post and 3 errors in sending it chipped away all the passion and emotion i poured into it!!!...grrr.....i hate my life....

Earlyman
Earlyman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 03:27:46 Reply

As a 56K user I'm not too dissapointed to see pico gone, since I only have 30 min to vote on my stuff for the day. I also can't figure out why the system keeps logging me out in between votings, I accept cookies from NG, mabye it just doesn't like me anymore. Boo Hoo

Darwin's Earlyman

MORE AND MORE!!!

pandi
pandi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 03:48:10 Reply

this voting system sucks

pandi@bmi.net 81149l13

pandi
pandi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 03:50:22 Reply

At 10/4/02 12:35 PM, TomFulp wrote: Ok... We haven't been getting swarmed with complaints about some of the recent changes, so I'm feeling empowered to keep on messing around. :)

I have temporarily removed the Pico voting animation - so when you vote on movies, you will get the old text-based version. I tested it out and it seemed to get the job done fine.

I don't intend to permanently remove the Pico animation, but I want to see how site performance is changed by the switch. There was an issue where the Pico animation did not cache in browsers. This sucked for 56k users, but also sucked for us because every time someone voted, it was re-downloading a 120k file that could have been cached in their browser.

The reason why it didn't cache was because the variables were passed to the .swf file directly in the html code - making the file name a random assortment of variables every time, and not recognizable by the cache.

There is a way to work around this using SWLiveConnect to import the variables into Flash - so the filename can remain consistent. I tried this many months ago, but users were getting errors. It turns out that Macintosh IE users can't use this function.

Sooo... The ultimate goal is to have both versions. MacIE users will get the text version, as well as anyone who chooses the text version in their prefs. Everyone else will get the Pico animation, which will theoretically cache once in their browser and stay there.

In the meantime - what does everyone think of the text page? Do you like it better anyway? Should we bother to bring back the Pico animation? It sure made voting fun - right? Right?!

AND ONE MORE THING... I'm not 100% sure what will happen when you BLAM a movie on this old version of the code. If anyone blams a movie, let me know if everything works ok - there should be a fun oldskool blam animation that pops up if everything still works.
Games2Play
Games2Play
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 04:14:09 Reply

Well, personally I prefer the text just because I don't like seeing the animation five times a day everyday! However, I think it's nice for the newer folks to see it. An option in our preferences seems like a good idea but either way 120k seems a bit ridiculous for that animation. I'd bet that I can probably cut it in half (at least)... Hey, that sounds like a good idea but I don't have time ATM so I'll try within a couple days. Ah shiznits... forgot I just cleared my cache a couple hours ago : Anybody got a copy of it saved or know the url for it?

DaFreak
DaFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 05:02:29 Reply

People who want the Pico movie than, should just check the box in their account. Good system!
The text is still great :)

hobo-mgee
hobo-mgee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 06:09:46 Reply

At 10/4/02 11:46 PM, Pico169 wrote:
At 10/4/02 11:40 PM, Pico169 wrote: like thae old system way better than the first and the old BLAM animation is better than the new one keep the old one, no one cause it is better but it runs faster too.
oops i fucked up let me correct myself "***I*** like ***the**** old system way better than the ***new one*** and the old BLAM animation is better than the new one keep the old one, ***not only because*** it is better but it runs faster too.
that sound a little bit better

INDEED

creamyspy69
creamyspy69
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 06:55:13 Reply

Tom, Wade, I can't take another day of this overhaul and experimenting. Instead of making the site better looking, faster to use and more groundbreaking, it seems as though you guys are regressing. It takes too long to do anything i.e. getting to the Portal, watching movies, voting, etc. I get logged off just as I've gotten logged on. It's like I have to speed vote to deposit my points. I'll vote on something I really enjoyed and find out I'm no longer logged in, therefore making my vote practically worthless. Taking off the Pico animation during the voting process would be a HUGE mistake should you decide to make that permanent. It's like trading in your Playstation 2 for a Commodore 64. It just seems like a step backwards. BUT, I do have faith in you freaking geniuses of the web and that you will correct these problems in due time. Your credo should be "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Newgrounds was never really "broke".

HeRetiK
HeRetiK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 08:53:40 Reply

I want the Pico animations! Pico rulez!!!
Ok, the text version might be better for the 56k and mac users. But I'm not one of the 56k users. I'm not one of the mac users. I'm one of the PicoHasToComeBack users.

<deleted>
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 09:09:17 Reply

Keep the text version, its better and more efficient. =)

RS
RS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 09:49:03 Reply

what does everyone think of the text page? Do you like it better anyway? Should we bother to bring back the Pico animation? It sure made voting fun - right? Right?!

Bring back the old one!!

SeeYaMoron
SeeYaMoron
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 10:49:13 Reply

At 10/5/02 09:49 AM, RS wrote:

what does everyone think of the text page? Do you like it better anyway? Should we bother to bring back the Pico animation? It sure made voting fun - right? Right?!

Bring back the old one!!

The text version its ok, nut please fix the log in sistem!!

Misteroo
Misteroo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 12:41:05 Reply

Worry not, sirs. I've blammed a film this morning and it was successfully annihilated. Hooray.

Misteroo
Misteroo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 12:45:32 Reply

...One more thing, too. Personally, I like this text-based system far better than the Pico animation. It moves much faster, and probably reduces overall system lag, ESPECIALLY during those annoying high-traffic times where everything BUT the same exact tedious Pico animation loads. I'm not missing it at all... but get rid of the login-problem and the site'll be PERFECT.

Then again, that's just my opinion :T

BooDestroyer
BooDestroyer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 13:18:48 Reply

Should the VOTING SYSTEM ITSELF be changed?

Why should we have to bullshit about waiting for the next Portal day to come when we desperately want more EXP?

Yeah, c'mon! Anyone?

Or is that just cheating?

BTW, all this time, I thought there was a similar animation to this Pico one, but with the small, old Pico that Tom first made.

RemiMathieu
RemiMathieu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 13:50:53 Reply

I'M on T1 and I don't want the animation to come back. Don't impose that little animation to us trusted members, it's getting boring and redundant. Letting members choose between the animation or text seems the only solution.
-Thx-
RM

Satakiro
Satakiro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 13:51:24 Reply

Ok, this is my first post on the Newgrounds message boards but I think I really need to agree with some people on how difficult it is to actually deposite the gold. I've gotten to 8 points several times now and it just goes back to zero before I can vote on my next movie. A little frustrating. Also, the pico animation rocked, bringing it back would hopefully be worth the effort.

HardcoreChristmas
HardcoreChristmas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 16:24:59 Reply

I have 56k and i haven't had any problems with the pico thing. but depositing points has become a bitch now you should fix that before screwing around with anything else.

MAYORMCHEESE
MAYORMCHEESE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 18:02:26 Reply

Thank you sssssooooooooooo much....

I CAN FINALLY VOTE ON MY MAC! ZOOPEE! :P

unban russianspy22

BBS Signature
Evan-in-Canada
Evan-in-Canada
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 19:29:00 Reply

one thing still sucks ass no matter how the voting is done. ONLY BEING ABLE TO DEPOSIT POINTS ONCE PER DAY!!!

I mean come on, it's a weekend and your home all day long and as soon as you vote on 5 movies, your sunk for any more points for the rest of the 9-12 hours left in the day.

would you consider making it 20 points daily? or even having the ability to deposit again in 6 hours or something? at least on weekends!! I am a level 9 and it's going to take me well over a month to get to level 10 and it really blows to have all this free time watching movies on NG but only getting 10 exp out of it.

johnkilo
johnkilo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 20:48:18 Reply

I keep having to log back in, while im voting, then when I do, i have to vote on 5 more movies again. And I was only one vote away from getting my points too :-(

TheGoldenMonkey
TheGoldenMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 23:41:10 Reply

Does anyone know what the hell happened to The Steven Segal Show? That was the best movie ever. Well, L8ter days everybody.

Detesticus
Detesticus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 23:42:56 Reply

Bring back the Pico Animation, Tom! It adds a cetain charm to your site! Eithout it...it's just bland and monotonous throughout. Just like how you took away the Chickens on the front page and the Portal music!

Strawberry Clock has returned!
Here's his new movie!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=65289
And I thought he was merely a legend.

MisledPunk
MisledPunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-05 23:51:45 Reply

damn as soon as i saw the old text based page i was like whoa hittin the old school but now i see why
it does load faster
seeing the pico animation gets on my nerves sometimes and i dont' care to see it once in a while, i kinda of just hit the back button cause u can't go forward and click something to go back to where u were prior.

that would be a pretty cool addtion to the pico animation, less movement for my hand, less getting drained from using the mouse.. oh man thats hard work!

BooDestroyer
BooDestroyer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-06 00:13:39 Reply

And users can't stay logged in!

Fix that, too!

HellboundNinja
HellboundNinja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to MORE AND MORE!!! 2002-10-06 00:57:11 Reply

the pico animation was nice but sometimes it would not load at all and i would not get the exp. points...i would coment on the blam thing but i havent been lucky enough to get it.

BBS Signature