BBS Signature
Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-05-27 15:31:38 Reply

Absolute certainty, whether it be in favor of the existence of god or against it, worries me. It would seem to me that with human knowledge as it is, we cannot really know the answers to "The Big Questions" such as 'what happens to me after I die' or 'What is the origin of matter?' are questions so unfathomably complicated that we should take a more humble view of them. Certainly it's fine to hypothesize and attempt to find the answer, but I can't imagine we will know any time in the near future. So generally, I suppose it's better to take a slightly agnostic approach in that there's no way we can really know for sure.

If life gives you lemons, read the fine print; chances are, there's a monthly fee attached.

BBS Signature
Canadamation
Canadamation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-05-28 15:42:47 Reply

Patton3 would be correct. As much as I'd love to say "there is no god" I, nor any one can specifically be sure that there is absolutely no god. However, the possibility of the existence of one is so incredibly illogical that we can still rationally assume that there is most likely no god. Which would make me an agnostic atheist.

Unfortunately, we can't disprove a negative. which makes "prove that there is no god" impossible to prove because there is no physical evidence of one. However, we can prove an Idea of god as incorrect.

Let's say that someone believes in a god that is Omniscient and omnipotent (all knowing and all powerful). We can disqualify this as possible due to the fact that these two forces clash. You can not know everything and still be all powerful. Take as an example a being that knows the outcome of something, does it have the ability to change the outcome? if so, then this being didnt really know the outcome if it changed it. So the being doesnt have the power to change an outcome of something it knows the outcome of.

There for the believe of ANY deity that is said to be all powerful and all knowing is therefor a false view of a deity as it is absolutely not possible.

Atheism
Atheism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-07-14 03:16:01 Reply

I sure hope I can join you guys.

Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-07-14 16:15:42 Reply

Well, since it is so illogical and unreasonable to believe that any deities exist, and the chance of one existing is negligible, so we can be pretty sure there is no god.

I am surprised that, in this day and age, we even need to debate these types of things. My advice? Find a baby. Raise the baby so that he learns nothing about religion--for or against it. Teach him to be logical, but also creative and open-minded. When he's 18, hand him a Bible and he'll think it's a fictional story, and if you tell him that billions of people assume it is the truth, he'll laugh in your face.

Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-07-14 16:46:00 Reply

I am a Catholic and believe in God, but very much respect Atheists and your beliefs, so please do not think that all Catholics are closed-minded homophobic, anti-semitic, insufferable douche bags who think they they are never wrong. I assure you, there are logical Catholics out there, you just have to look in the right places.

Palpable
Palpable
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-07-14 17:03:17 Reply

I for one think that the name of this thread needs to be changed - atheist's aren't soldiers fighting all who oppose. I think the reason I question religion and faith so much is that like so many, I am unsure of the process of death and it's concurrent events, I am also fearful, to the point where I cower at the thought of death and fall into the Neurosis that Religion will save me and there is a slot in the heavens with my name on it. My atheist nature questions the probability of that though, so I am very torn.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Programmer
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-07-14 18:49:44 Reply

if god were real he would be a kid with a gianst ass ant farm he doesn't have a a plan for us.

Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-07-18 14:12:20 Reply

@archawn
I think it would be best to raise kids in an agnostic household. Merely take a position of "I'm atheist, but I don't know for sure, and I sure as hell am not going to push any opinion on the matter on you." Also take care that they're not exposed to religion when they're still very young, as young minds are less critical; up too a certain age, kids believe anything an adult says.
Which also brings me to a question I've often thought before; isn't it in essence a form of brain washing to teach kids this stuff when they haven't developed the skills of critical thinking and questioning what they're told? If a kid still believes in Santa, of course he's going to believe Jonah and the whale (pardon me; "Great Fish") is true. If they truly believe that the beliefs they have are true and can be rationalized, why not approach people as adults, as opposed to when they'll absorb anything an adult tells them?
@palpable
The name atheist army is purely for the sake of alliteration.

If life gives you lemons, read the fine print; chances are, there's a monthly fee attached.

BBS Signature
MultiCanimefan
MultiCanimefan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-07-18 14:34:54 Reply

At 7/14/10 04:15 PM, Archawn wrote: Well, since it is so illogical and unreasonable to believe that any deities exist

Really now?

carnagereap
carnagereap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-07-18 15:26:23 Reply

I would like to join the Atheist Army. As a toddler, my mom would do bible study with her friend, Becky. My mom was an atheist, but I didn't know it at the time. I would always join them, given I was always bored. I somehow read a lot of the Bible, and believed in God at the time. Then I grew up, and thought, "This is retarded! Why the hell did I ever believe this?" My whole family is atheist, except my dad. He has some other belief, not in "god" though. But I want to join this, I am confident there is no god. My brother's, boss', nephew, just died from cancer. He was four. No god of love would ever kill a four year old child. There is nothing he could've done to deserve it. People say, "God works in mysterious ways! It's all a part of the greater plan!" I have to ask. What kind of plan is that? Killing little children, and letting people who believe in you just kill thousands just cause they think you told them to. IF there is a god, I do not want to be in heaven with him. Thus, why I am an atheist!

I know karate,kung-fu,and 48 other intimidating words

AJ
AJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-07-18 22:13:02 Reply

At 7/14/10 04:46 PM, Scarface wrote: I am a Catholic and believe in God, but very much respect Atheists and your beliefs, so please do not think that all Catholics are closed-minded homophobic, anti-semitic, insufferable douche bags who think they they are never wrong. I assure you, there are logical Catholics out there, you just have to look in the right places.

I've met a few of them. They are out there, no one is denying that. The question remains though, with how many corrupted people out there have taken religious doctrine out of context, or even more terrifyingly IN context and done terrible things and become just overall bad people, whether or not it's anything more than a burden on society holding mankind back from progressing.

Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-07-18 23:58:59 Reply

At 7/18/10 10:13 PM, michelinman wrote: I've met a few of them. They are out there, no one is denying that. The question remains though, with how many corrupted people out there have taken religious doctrine out of context, or even more terrifyingly IN context and done terrible things and become just overall bad people, whether or not it's anything more than a burden on society holding mankind back from progressing.

True. I remember the Matthew Shepard case, where two men beat up another and left him to die, just because he was gay. I have no idea why stem cell research is still illegal, and I for one think the Pope has WAY more political influence than he needs. I hate being represented by bigoted hat-spewers.

Tateos
Tateos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-07-21 13:59:12 Reply

I just thought I should post this here before I delete those comments. Seriously, this guy goes from my biggest fan to hating me because I don't believe in Jesus. I bet he trolls this thread, too.

The Atheist Army

thuh-ohm-ass

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-07-22 10:55:37 Reply

I have to say that it's interesting that I've seen two cases on this last page alone where in someone claims that God can't exist because of the violence and hatred in this world, and how can God allow that to happen... maybe cause he doesn't give a shit about us really. He gave us free will and world and said "go play".

No, I'm not Christian, or Jewish or Muslim, or Scientologist. Just pointing out that just because there's viciousness out there, does not mean that someone isn't watching in amusement. It was said that we were made in god's image, and so if that's true, then like us he would enjoy watching a blood bath from his couch. Cruel cruel bastard that he is.

HumanDisease
HumanDisease
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-08-11 11:58:49 Reply

Religion is man's attempt to reach up to God with his own works.

Jesus Christ is God's attempt to reach down to man by becoming a man, living among us, and showing us how to have a relationship with God through Him.

If you think the Bible is false, kindly consider these facts:

The Bible is the only book in history that is over 60 books compiled together, written by over 40 different authors over 3000 years, all who claimed inspiration from the same God, who never contradicted Himself, and claimed to know the future.

God exists outside of time, so He knows the future. The Bible is the only religious text in the world that dares to predict the future, and is correct every time. No other book in the world is like it, and no other religion dares to expose themselves with false-predictions. However, The Bible boldly predicts the future, proclaiming that it is the inspired word of God proudly and authoritatively. The Bible is divided into 2 parts; the Old Testament, and the New Testament. The Old Testament was written over 2000 years ago, before the birth of Christ, and foretold His coming in intricate detail.

Isaiah 42:9 God declares "Behold, the former things have come to pass, Now I declare new things; Before they spring forth I proclaim them to you." and Isaiah 46:9-10 God says 'I am God and there is no one like Me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things which have not been done'

As I said, since God exists beyond time, He sees the entire timeline and is able to tell us what will happen before it happens. Let's look at some prophecy in Jewish scripture that was written BEFORE Christ by many hundreds of years;

The Book of Daniel was written 500 years before the birth of Jesus. In Chapter 9, Daniel predicts the very day that the Messiah would enter Jerusalem and present himself as king for the first time. The prophecy states that 69 weeks of years (69 x 7 = 483 years) would pass from the decree to rebuild Jerusalem until the coming of the Messiah. 3 Since Daniel was written in Babylon during the Jewish captivity after the fall of Jerusalem, this prophecy was based on the Babylonian 360-day calendar. Thus, 483 years x 360 days = 173,880 days.

According to records found in the Shushan (Susa) Palace, and confirmed in Nehemiah 2:1, the decree to rebuild Jerusalem was issued by the Persian king, Artaxerxes Longimanus, on March 5, 444 BC. Remarkably, 173,880 days later (adjusting for leap years), on March 30, 33 AD, Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a donkey (fulfilling the prophecy in Zechariah 9:9).4 Five days later, Jesus was crucified on a Roman cross just outside Jerusalem. (Actually, the form of his execution and even his last words were foretold hundreds of years earlier in Psalm 22.) Three days later, the New Testament accounts declare that Jesus rose from the dead on Easter Sunday, fulfilling numerous other prophecies of the long-awaited Messiah.

Isaiah 49 The Messiah had to be bring the non-jewish people of the world (Gentiles) to worship the God of Israel

Isaiah 53 says this Messiah will be bruised, beaten, and killed, be rejected by His own people, buried with the rich, and then have His days prolonged (ressurrection).

Daniel 9:24 says the Messiah will come and die for our sins BEFORE the destruction of the 2nd temple (2000 years ago!)

Micah 5:2 The Messiah had to be born in Bethlehem.

Isaiah 7:14 The Messiah had to be born of a virgin.

Psalm 22 reveals that the Messiah was to be crucified, peirced through the hands and feet and have his bones all out of joint

Jesus came according to prophecy right when He had to before the destruction 2nd temple 2000 years ago, and was rejected by Israel, crucified, buried with the rich (which was a rarity for convincted criminals), and then rose from the dead, then the temple was destroyed. The jews have been without a temple now for around 2000 years, and now, 2000 years later, the Gentile world now worships the God of Israel because of this Jesus of Nazareth, the most influential jew in the history of mankind; the most influential man in the history of mankind.

There are hundreds of prophecies in The Bible, this is just one of them that is so powerful, it's undeniable.

Here is a video series that proves The Bible is from God Himself

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=
-8065066188700942515#docid=4495014331680 5

schumaccercat
schumaccercat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-08-11 12:54:28 Reply

LUL ATHEISM IS A RELIJIN LUL HURP DURP

HumanDisease
HumanDisease
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-08-11 13:21:01 Reply

At 8/11/10 12:54 PM, schumaccercat wrote: HURP DURP

Could you please explain to me in great detail the exact meaning of 'HURP DURP'?

Lulzors
Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-08-11 15:04:28 Reply

At 8/11/10 11:58 AM, HumanDisease wrote: Religion is man's attempt to reach up to God with his own works.

No, religion is and has been man's attempt to explain what we don't understand. This creates a "god of the gaps" pattern that we see throughout history. For example, anything beyond the earth's surface was the realm of the gods. Untouchable, celestial, and utterly perfect. The constellations depicted images of gods and their actions, as did even planets themselves represent the major gods (Jupiter for instance). This was a gap in human knowledge that religions very conveniently fulfilled. Yet now we know that the planets are like our own. Orbiting the same sun, made from the same materials. The constellations are just stars, which appear as shapes from our view point on earth. Yet this was claimed to be the declaration of the gods, that the heavens were their own, perfect dwelling. Were this truly a declaration of the gods, it would have been true. In this day and age, anyone that stands upright can tell you that simply is not true, and it has become immutable scientific law. So this wasn't declaration of gods, it was man trying to explain what he didn't know.

Jesus Christ is God's attempt to reach down to man by becoming a man, living among us, and showing us how to have a relationship with God through Him.

If you think the Bible is false, kindly consider these facts:

The Bible is the only book in history that is over 60 books compiled together, written by over 40 different authors over 3000 years, all who claimed inspiration from the same God, who never contradicted Himself, and claimed to know the future.

The time frame these books were written in, the number of authors, and the fact that it is a religious compendium should by themselves lead you to question their content as far as facts are concerned. As for all of them claiming the same god, that's quite simple: those who claimed inspiration from another god were simply not included. And is it really so surprising that religious persons within Abrahamic religions would claim similar or identical divine inspiration, creation myths, etc?

God exists outside of time, so He knows the future. The Bible is the only religious text in the world that dares to predict the future, and is correct every time. No other book in the world is like it, and no other religion dares to expose themselves with false-predictions. However, The Bible boldly predicts the future, proclaiming that it is the inspired word of God proudly and authoritatively.

"God exists outside of time." It's this sort of thing that strikes me as awfully convenient; it's in it's most basic form "He knows everything, he is the explanation for everything" when it's clear 'he' is not. Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge of physics to scientifically approach the idea of a being existing outside of time, yet still creating and interacting with it, but perhaps someone on here does. Moving along...
1. The bible is often incorrect. That only requires open eyes to see.
2. The predictions of the future are often rather vague
3. Many, many other religions claim to know the future. For example, stories similar to Jesus' crucifixion can often be found in one form or another. Even predating Gospels and many other books of the bible. But more on that later.

Isaiah 42:9 God declares "Behold, the former things have come to pass, Now I declare new things; Before they spring forth I proclaim them to you." and Isaiah 46:9-10 God says 'I am God and there is no one like Me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things which have not been done'

It's essentially declaring to be unquestionable and all powerful, and the creator. As though that's unique to religious texts.

As I said, since God exists beyond time, He sees the entire timeline and is able to tell us what will happen before it happens. Let's look at some prophecy in Jewish scripture that was written BEFORE Christ by many hundreds of years;

Once more, that's awfully convenient. And remember when I mentioned earlier texts predating many Christian writings? I think in just a little bit one powerful example would be prudent...

The Book of Daniel was written 500 years before the birth of Jesus. In Chapter 9, Daniel predicts the very day that the Messiah would enter Jerusalem and present himself as king for the first time. The prophecy states that 69 weeks of years (69 x 7 = 483 years) would pass from the decree to rebuild Jerusalem until the coming of the Messiah. 3 Since Daniel was written in Babylon during the Jewish captivity after the fall of Jerusalem, this prophecy was based on the Babylonian 360-day calendar. Thus, 483 years x 360 days = 173,880 days.

Maybe I'm missing something, but there are 365 1/4 days in a year. Were this a declaration from god, (as the claims/predictions in the bible supposedly are) wouldn't god have known this?
Beyond that, the only other things I can point to off hand are a) extraordinary coincidence, b) they weren't written in the Babylonian captivity and we have the time frame wrong, and c) I don't know.
Option C being something I'm bound to bring up sooner or later. Oh, and this bit also applies to the first part of the bit you wrote below, over rebuilding of Jerusalem.

According to records found in the Susa Palace, and confirmed in Nehemiah 2:1, the decree to rebuild Jerusalem was issued by the Persian king, Artaxerxes Longimanus, on March 5, 444 BC. Remarkably, 173,880 days later (adjusting for leap years), on March 30, 33 AD, Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a donkey (fulfilling the prophecy in Zechariah 9:9).4 Five days later, Jesus was crucified on a Roman cross just outside Jerusalem. (Actually, the form of his execution and even his last words were foretold hundreds of years earlier in Psalm 22.) Three days later, the New Testament accounts declare that Jesus rose from the dead on Easter Sunday, fulfilling numerous other prophecies of the long-awaited Messiah.

Let's get at the prophecies related to Jesus as you're arguing from a christian standpoint, and what are you left with when you take Jesus out of Christianity?
Crucifixion was quite a common punishment, often used on dissenters; which by very nature of what Jesus was claimed to be would make him a dissenter. To interpret that such a person would be crucified, would be akin today to saying that a murderer would be given life in prison.
As for him rising from the dead, you may find this interesting:
Written in 1280 b.c., it describes the Egyptian god Horus. Horus was the son of the god Osiris, born unto men of a virgin mother. He was baptized in a river by Anup the Baptizer, Anup later being beheaded. Anup, before preaching and performing miracles, was tempted in the desert while alone, but the Egyptian god of the dead. He then gathered twelve disciples to him, and preached, and performed miracles across the land. He healed the sick, the blind, and cast out demons in the name of god (Osiris), and walked on water. He also raised Asar from the dead. Asar, translated from Egyptian into Hebrew, means Lazarus. He was crucified on a hill, with two other men; 3 days after he died and was buried, two maidens announced that Horus, savior of humanity, had been resurrected.
You can't tell me this doesn't bear startling resemblance to the story of Jesus Christ in the Gospels and retain any sort of integrity.

Isaiah 49 The Messiah had to be bring the non-jewish people of the world (Gentiles) to worship the God of Israel

There are still a lot of non-jewish people with other religions.

Well, gonna have to continue this on another post

BBS Signature
Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-08-11 15:16:56 Reply

At 8/11/10 11:58 AM, HumanDisease wrote:
Isaiah 53 says this Messiah will be bruised, beaten, and killed, be rejected by His own people, buried with the rich, and then have His days prolonged (ressurrection).

First of all, Egyptian Book of the Dead. As well, that he would be beaten, rejected, etc. is a rather simple prediction considering the nature of what they were saying the Messiah would be preaching. To address "buried with the rich, and then live his days prolonged", that is enormously vague. As most predictions of the future tend to be, as they can be interpreted as applying to a vast managerie of events.

Daniel 9:24 says the Messiah will come and die for our sins BEFORE the destruction of the 2nd temple (2000 years ago!)

Considering the time frame we're talking about, Daniel had a pretty damn wide margin for error.

Ok, that's a bit more specific.

But Jesus wasn't. No woman can become pregnant and retain her virginity. The idea that god could simply bypass the, (ahem) physical portion of that process because he is god, is one amongst a book that is littered with very convenient circumstances.

Psalm 22 reveals that the Messiah was to be crucified, peirced through the hands and feet and have his bones all out of joint

I believe I've already addressed crucifixion.

Jesus came according to prophecy right when He had to before the destruction 2nd temple 2000 years ago, and was rejected by Israel, crucified, buried with the rich (which was a rarity for convincted criminals), and then rose from the dead, then the temple was destroyed. The jews have been without a temple now for around 2000 years, and now, 2000 years later, the Gentile world now worships the God of Israel because of this Jesus of Nazareth, the most influential jew in the history of mankind; the most influential man in the history of mankind.

1. Many, many people don't worship him.
2. Every other point in the above I've addressed at one point or another, unless I mistakenly left something out.
3. The accounts of this, the gospels, were written after these events took place; I hope we're at least in agreement there. Couldn't those who wrote the gospels merely have written the story to fit the prophecies? Not to mention inconsistencies and contradictions within the gospels. This point would also apply to several other things you've mentioned, but moving on...

There are hundreds of prophecies in The Bible, this is just one of them that is so powerful, it's undeniable.

Not really.

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-08-11 15:56:42 Reply

Christianity isn't the first belief to have a God come down and impregnate a woman. The Greek Gods did it all the freaking time.

However. Thought some of your guys might like this.

HumanDisease
HumanDisease
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-08-11 17:26:38 Reply

At 8/11/10 03:04 PM, Patton3 wrote: No, religion is and has been man's attempt to explain what we don't understand. This creates a "god of the gaps" pattern that we see throughout history. For example, anything beyond the earth's surface was the realm of the gods. Untouchable, celestial, and utterly perfect. The constellations depicted images of gods and their actions, as did even planets themselves represent the major gods (Jupiter for instance). This was a gap in human knowledge that religions very conveniently fulfilled. Yet now we know that the planets are like our own. Orbiting the same sun, made from the same materials. The constellations are just stars, which appear as shapes from our view point on earth. Yet this was claimed to be the declaration of the gods, that the heavens were their own, perfect dwelling. Were this truly a declaration of the gods, it would have been true. In this day and age, anyone that stands upright can tell you that simply is not true, and it has become immutable scientific law. So this wasn't declaration of gods, it was man trying to explain what he didn't know.

The Bible was written by over 40 authors over 3000 years, by kings, prisoners, farmers, tax collectors, warriors, people from all walks of life. There is no motivation for control from a single perspective. In fact the Bible tells rulers to be servants to the people, so if its trying to control anyone, its the people in authority who are told to be subjected to God and treat the people fairly.

The time frame these books were written in, the number of authors, and the fact that it is a religious compendium should by themselves lead you to question their content as far as facts are concerned. As for all of them claiming the same god, that's quite simple: those who claimed inspiration from another god were simply not included. And is it really so surprising that religious persons within Abrahamic religions would claim similar or identical divine inspiration, creation myths, etc?
"God exists outside of time." It's this sort of thing that strikes me as awfully convenient; it's in it's most basic form "He knows everything, he is the explanation for everything" when it's clear 'he' is not. Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge of physics to scientifically approach the idea of a being existing outside of time, yet still creating and interacting with it, but perhaps someone on here does. Moving along...
1. The bible is often incorrect. That only requires open eyes to see.
2. The predictions of the future are often rather vague
3. Many, many other religions claim to know the future. For example, stories similar to Jesus' crucifixion can often be found in one form or another. Even predating Gospels and many other books of the bible. But more on that later.
Once more, that's awfully convenient. And remember when I mentioned earlier texts predating many Christian writings? I think in just a little bit one powerful example would be prudent...

Maybe I'm missing something, but there are 365 1/4 days in a year. Were this a declaration from god, (as the claims/predictions in the bible supposedly are) wouldn't god have known this?
Beyond that, the only other things I can point to off hand are a) extraordinary coincidence, b) they weren't written in the Babylonian captivity and we have the time frame wrong, and c) I don't know.
Option C being something I'm bound to bring up sooner or later. Oh, and this bit also applies to the first part of the bit you wrote below, over rebuilding of Jerusalem.
Let's get at the prophecies related to Jesus as you're arguing from a christian standpoint, and what are you left with when you take Jesus out of Christianity?
Crucifixion was quite a common punishment, often used on dissenters; which by very nature of what Jesus was claimed to be would make him a dissenter. To interpret that such a person would be crucified, would be akin today to saying that a murderer would be given life in prison.
As for him rising from the dead, you may find this interesting:
Written in 1280 b.c., it describes the Egyptian god Horus. Horus was the son of the god Osiris, born unto men of a virgin mother. He was baptized in a river by Anup the Baptizer, Anup later being beheaded. Anup, before preaching and performing miracles, was tempted in the desert while alone, but the Egyptian god of the dead. He then gathered twelve disciples to him, and preached, and performed miracles across the land. He healed the sick, the blind, and cast out demons in the name of god (Osiris), and walked on water. He also raised Asar from the dead. Asar, translated from Egyptian into Hebrew, means Lazarus. He was crucified on a hill, with two other men; 3 days after he died and was buried, two maidens announced that Horus, savior of humanity, had been resurrected.
You can't tell me this doesn't bear startling resemblance to the story of Jesus Christ in the Gospels and retain any sort of integrity.

God exists outside of time, so He knows the future. The Bible is the only religious text in the world that dares to predict the future, and is correct every time. No other book in the world is like it, and no other religion dares to expose themselves with false-predictions. However, The Bible boldly predicts the future, proclaiming that it is the inspired word of God proudly and authoritatively. The Bible is divided into 2 parts; the Old Testament, and the New Testament. The Old Testament was written over 2000 years ago, before the birth of Christ, and foretold His coming in intricate detail.

According to records found in the Shushan (Susa) Palace, and confirmed in Nehemiah 2:1, the decree to rebuild Jerusalem was issued by the Persian king, Artaxerxes Longimanus, on March 5, 444 BC. Remarkably, 173,880 days later (adjusting for leap years), on March 30, 33 AD, Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a donkey (fulfilling the prophecy in Zechariah 9:9).4 Five days later, Jesus was crucified on a Roman cross just outside Jerusalem. (Actually, the form of his execution and even his last words were foretold hundreds of years earlier in Psalm 22.) Three days later, the New Testament accounts declare that Jesus rose from the dead on Easter Sunday, fulfilling numerous other prophecies of the long-awaited Messiah.

HumanDisease
HumanDisease
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-08-11 17:31:38 Reply

Christianity could not possibly be so, since whom is trying to control whom, for what benefit? The Bible was written by over 40 authors over 3000 years, by kings, prisoners, farmers, tax collectors, warriors, people from all walks of life. There is no motivation for control from a single perspective. In fact the Bible tells rulers to be servants to the people, so if its trying to control anyone, its the people in authority who are told to be subjected to God and treat the people fairly.

Jesus fulfilled Old Testament prophecy, and His disciples who knew Him lost faith in Him when He was crucified. Then after 3 days they became so convinced that He truly did conquer death that they went to their own deaths for that testimony. They would have known if it were true or false if Jesus really did rise from the dead. I think you just have a bias against God and Jesus Christ based on your desire, as stated above, to neglect authority over you. As The Bible says, you did not like to retain the knowledge of God in your thinking because of your lustful desires to disobey the standards of morality of God, so that you could do whatever you wanted to do, just as Satan does.

The true God is the only God who has interacted in time and space throughout history. Zeus is mythology created at one time, and Allah only introduced himself to Muhammad about 1400 years ago, with no prior revelation. The God of The Bible has been with man since the beginning, and revealed Himself progressively throughout the 4000 year history of Israel, sending dozens of prophets over and over again to confirm his timelessness.

Allah is Satan, and can be demonstrated to be so.
The quran was written 6 centuries after The Bible was completed, and Muslims do not believe in The Bible. The Bible was before the Quran, but Muslims reject it! Islam attempts to make you doubt ALL the revelations of God given to humanity before Muhammad was born. Isn't that convenient? God sent dozens of prophets, each that confirmed the next, and foretold the coming of the Messiah who would die for the sins of the world (Isaiah 53). They said that the Messiah would bring an end to the prophets (Daniel 9:24), bring the final Covenant (Malachi 3:1), and that false prophets would come after the Messiah (Matthew 24:24).

In the New Testament of Jesus Christ, God warned us that Satan the devil would come as an angel of light and preach a false religion. All the prophets of God spoke with God, however, the false prophet Mohammad spoke with an angel only! Look at what God warned us; 'And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.' (2 Corinthians 11:14) and 'But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!' (Galatians 1:8) Mohammad met Satan 600 years after God warned us in the New Testament, and then Satan, calling himself 'allah', created the false religion of Islam.

The entire purpose of Islam is to deny everything that God revealed through the prophets, and finally, in the person of Jesus Christ. Between the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, which are over 2000 years old and match perfectly what we use today, and the 24000 manuscripts of the New Testament, we can know 100% for certain that The Bible has never been changed. Infact, The Bible is the most trust worthy book in all of antiquity. Muslims claim their scriptures are authentic because they haven't changed in 1400 years. While that is simply not true, the more important fact is that The Bible has been proven to be preserved for over 2000 years. It is an old Islamic lie to claim The Bible is corrupt, because if The Bible is true, that means Islam is not true; The Bible teaches the total opposite of the quran.

God would never make us trust a single prophet; how could we verify that his words are true? God instead gave us many prophets, and they all confirmed each other. The only thing Jesus ever said about Muhammad was this; 'This is the antichrist, he who denies that Jesus is the Christ. No one who denies the Son has the Father. He who confesses the Son has the Father also.' (1 John 2:22-23)

Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-08-11 17:57:04 Reply

You've done nothing but regurgitate what you've already posted, and responded to my rebuttals of your arguments and evidence with nothing reasonable, let alone even mildly credible.
Care to try again, or are you just here to blindly espouse?

BBS Signature
HumanDisease
HumanDisease
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-08-12 00:31:30 Reply

At 8/11/10 05:57 PM, Patton3 wrote: You've done nothing but regurgitate what you've already posted, and responded to my rebuttals of your arguments and evidence with nothing reasonable, let alone even mildly credible.
Care to try again, or are you just here to blindly espouse?

I am a sceptic, and I was having an argument I just didn't know how to respond to that, so I was copy-pasting what was said to me.

Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-08-12 00:45:26 Reply

At 8/12/10 12:31 AM, HumanDisease wrote:
I am a sceptic, and I was having an argument I just didn't know how to respond to that, so I was copy-pasting what was said to me.

So you put up an argument you had with someone else for the sake of letting us see it if I'm understanding you correctly? If that's the case, be sure to make that clear in your original post.

BBS Signature
Tianwell
Tianwell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-08-25 09:07:51 Reply

Hmm... I'd like to join this army. Though I am more of a laid-back atheist. As in, there could be a God, but if I don't find a reason to believe in one, then I do not care.

Much easier to live that way than to argue everyday over stupid Christians ;)

P.S. All of my family is Christian sadly :(

MUSIC IS LIFE!

BBS Signature
Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army 2010-09-01 15:49:00 Reply

At 8/25/10 09:07 AM, Tianwell wrote: Hmm... I'd like to join this army. Though I am more of a laid-back atheist. As in, there could be a God, but if I don't find a reason to believe in one, then I do not care.

Agnostic, then?

Much easier to live that way than to argue everyday over stupid Christians ;)

It's not so much arguing as it is "These are my beliefs, I'm not ashamed of them, I put them out freely." And they often just tend to spark arguments.

P.S. All of my family is Christian sadly :(

As is mine. There's nothing inherently wrong with it though. While you might disagree with them, the only way you may ever convince them otherwise is by showing at least some respect for the fact that it is their own opinion.

:: Sorry about that business earlier by the way. Everyone else, be doubly sure not to feed trolls.

BBS Signature