New Topic Respond to this Topic
WhoIsPaul
WhoIsPaul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 16th, 2010 @ 04:55 PM Reply

At 3/15/10 05:04 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote: Turns out he wasn't a Dr. Just your regular run of the mill theologist. Thank God for that!

Ohohoho.

Who are you talking about?

I don't care if people know me. I'm just there. I'm like the lead
based paint in a Chinese sweat shop. There.

Surreality
Surreality
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 16th, 2010 @ 08:42 PM Reply

Hello, I wish to join.

First, I would like to make it apparent that I am not an atheist, and that it is not my intention to disrespect those who are simply because they do not happen to share my point of view. My intention in joining this club is not to provocate arguments, but rather to aid in discussions with what I believe to be a fairly logical and rational religious belief system.

Love
Love
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 16th, 2010 @ 08:58 PM Reply

Atheism is a religion.

BBS Signature
Surreality
Surreality
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 16th, 2010 @ 09:01 PM Reply

At 3/16/10 08:58 PM, Hybridization wrote: Atheism is a religion.

I agree, I see no difference between Atheism, and say, Christianity, besides the obvious. All the same components exist. I don't understand why it is widely regarded as a 'belief system.'

Surreality
Surreality
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 16th, 2010 @ 09:09 PM Reply

'A religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a supernatural agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs' - Wikipedia

Atheism fits the bill.

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 16th, 2010 @ 09:17 PM Reply

But its not though, is it?
Theres no structure or dogma that comes with atheism. All atheism is, is the lack of a theist view. Darwinism and all that jazz most atheists go along with isn't necessarily connected.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
SapphireLight
SapphireLight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 17th, 2010 @ 12:50 AM Reply

ain't no way athiesm is a religion
it's the lack of one

BBS Signature
JohnnyWang
JohnnyWang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 17th, 2010 @ 03:35 AM Reply

At 3/16/10 09:09 PM, Surreality wrote: 'A religion is

Lessee

creation of a supernatural agency or agencies

No, actually exactly th opposite

usually involving devotional and ritual observances

None.

and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs

Atheism doesn't have an inherent moral code, Atheists derive theirs from somewhere else, like I do from Humanism.

Atheism fits the bill.

No, it doesn't. Religion requires belief in supernatural, and practise of devotion and rituals. It also would preferably have a holy figure, holy texts and clergy. Despite contrary claims, we don't worship Darwin, and Origin of the Species isn't a holy text.

If Origin of the Soecies were a holy text, all evolutionary bology would be based on reinterpreting the boook, and only the book, not, for example, doing experiments or questioning the word of Darwin. The fundamental difference between science and theology, is, that a scientist has to question even their own fundamental truths. For the record, parts of Origin of the Species have been, upon closer inspection, found to be wrong. Hence, why there is a whole field of evolutionary biology that produces new texts, based on experiments and deduction. Not reinterpretation.

I don't take revenue from my profile.
TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature
Brick-top
Brick-top
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 17th, 2010 @ 12:05 PM Reply

There's many of things to show Atheism isn't a Religion. It's not accepting the assertion a God or gods exist. The reason for being an atheist is diverse and everything else is not related to atheism. It has almost nothing in common with Religion nor fits the criteria.

But there is one thing people sometimes forget to mention.

Atheism is not legally established as a Religion in any nation I'm aware of. But if it is a Religion, then people claiming it's a Religion can build us multi million dollar temples. They can get us Tax exempt status. They can go door to door for us to spread the good word of atheism. They can have the "Atheist holy book" put into the drawers at hotels. They can take all the donations and gifts and make sure we're very, very rich.

But until then, they can keep blowing smoke out their ass.

Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 17th, 2010 @ 05:09 PM Reply

A common misconception I've found is that atheism is a religion. When really, beyond not believing in god, there aren't really a lot of shared beliefs. Hell, I've gone round and round on the politics forum with people I've seen as regulars on here. Sure, we gravitate to many of the same things, acceptance of well grounded scientific theories for example, and many might also define themselves as humanist. Yet there's not the same sort of cohesion as you'd find with Lutherans, Baptists, Jews, etc.

If life gives you lemons, read the fine print; chances are, there's a monthly fee attached.

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 17th, 2010 @ 05:48 PM Reply

At 3/17/10 03:35 AM, JohnnyWang wrote: It also would preferably have a holy figure, holy texts and clergy. Despite contrary claims, we don't worship Darwin, and Origin of the Species isn't a holy text.

But what about Dawkins :P?

BBS Signature
JohnnyWang
JohnnyWang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 17th, 2010 @ 06:07 PM Reply

At 3/17/10 05:48 PM, Nev wrote:
But what about Dawkins :P?

Still no. There are many who disagree with his rhethoric. Sure, I'm not one of them, I love his and Hitchen's style (though i disagree with Hitchens in some other things). Also, a lot of atheists don't even know Dawkins, or any of them, many people just reach the conclusion by themselves, or by education.

That's another aprt of it, I doubt anyone converted to a religion without learning about it, while many peple reached the conclusion of there not being a god without ever reading a anyone telling them so.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature
Donut
Donut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Programmer
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 17th, 2010 @ 06:12 PM Reply

At 3/17/10 12:50 AM, SapphireLight wrote: ain't no way athiesm is a religion
it's the lack of one

Thats agnostic.

Proud supporter of Asian prostitutes in need.
PSN ID:Peegler
Steam ID:Donut

BBS Signature
JohnnyWang
JohnnyWang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 17th, 2010 @ 06:21 PM Reply

At 3/17/10 06:12 PM, NinjaDonut wrote:
Thats agnostic.

No, it's not.

Actually, the opposite of religious is non-religious. That's more of an umbrella term, covering both Agnosticism, Atheism and non-religious Theism, deism, pantheism etc.

Agnosticism means you believe that the existance of god cannot be proven nor disproved. In that, I agree; we can't beyond doubt prove there is nothing supernatural, but on a practical level, the lack of proof points towards non-existance.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature
Surreality
Surreality
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 18th, 2010 @ 06:27 PM Reply

At 3/16/10 09:09 PM, Surreality wrote: 'A religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a supernatural agency or agencies,

Atheism involves a supernatural theory of creation. The big bang without God would have been a random occurrence with the matter sitting there for an infinite amount of time before finally exploding because of? Magic? Apparently.

usually involving devotional and ritual observances

No.

, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs'

No.

Atheism fits the bill.

Atheism still fits the bill.

JohnnyWang
JohnnyWang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 18th, 2010 @ 06:39 PM Reply

At 3/18/10 06:27 PM, Surreality wrote: The big bang without God would have been a random occurrence with the matter sitting there for an infinite amount of time before finally exploding because of? Magic? Apparently.

No, the scientific answer is "we don't know, let's find out". The religious answer is "pft, obviously god no need for further inquiry".

And it's not supernatural, as the scientists have simply calculated the Big Bang theory by utilizing known natural laws. A simple analogy would be a ball flying over you; you notice the blal when it passes above your head from behind you. You look at the direction the ball is flying, and wherther it's rising or lowering and at what general angle. This way, you can guess where approximately the ball was thrown from. You don't assume it came from out of nowhere and made a 90 degree turn jjust behind your head, and also picked up speed.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature
JohnnyWang
JohnnyWang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 18th, 2010 @ 06:46 PM Reply

And forgot to add to the end; there is a difference between a religion and faith. Even if we accept your defintion of Atheism having a faith in supernatural, it still doesn't fill many criteria required for a religion. Calling Atheism a religion is just a pointless attempt at a counter-argument and ridicule. Atheism is nothing but the philosophical standpoint that there is no god or gods, period. What instead is used to explain the world is not as such atheism, but the person's own personal beliefs.

There were Atheists before the discovery of evolution, there were atheists before the big bng theory was formulated. One of the earliest recorded atheist thinkers was Epicurous of ancient Greece, and he sure didn't have the modern science backing himm up, just the philosophical argument of the logic inconsistency in belief in gods.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 18th, 2010 @ 06:49 PM Reply

Atheism doesn't even need to go hand in hand with science though, does it?
It is possible to just believe that there is no God without a care for sciences proofs and theories, right?

BBS Signature
JohnnyWang
JohnnyWang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 19th, 2010 @ 07:51 AM Reply

Precisely. Recent discoveries, like evolution, the expanding universe (and thus, the ability to postulate backwards), and other astrophysics confirm the view that most religion's view of mankind and the world are not as accurate as they make them out to be. But even before these, there were people who questioned the illogical claims made by religions.

Of course, since history writing is only what was written down, we don't know what people outside the reach of the religions and kingdoms believed. May or may not be, that Atheism has always been somewhat popular, if only implicit atheism; many people didn't believe in any god because it never occured to them that such a conspet might be possible.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature
Brick-top
Brick-top
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 19th, 2010 @ 01:10 PM Reply

Here's a fun topic for discussion.

You all know the arguments about when people try to assert that atheism is an assertion or acceptance of:
Nazism.
The Big Bang.
Evolution.
Communism.
Abortion.
Liberalism.
etc
etc
etc.

Has anyone ever discussed why people do this? Where it originated from and what's the reason it's being thrown around?

TheDaemonicPoet
TheDaemonicPoet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 19th, 2010 @ 04:20 PM Reply

At 3/19/10 01:10 PM, Brick-top wrote: Here's a fun topic for discussion.

You all know the arguments about when people try to assert that atheism is an assertion or acceptance of:
Nazism.
The Big Bang.
Evolution.
Communism.
Abortion.
Liberalism.
etc
etc
etc.

Has anyone ever discussed why people do this? Where it originated from and what's the reason it's being thrown around?

People seem to always say, that atheists are responsible for the Holocaust and shit like that, in fact they were, but so what? Atheism is not like other religions where everybody think and accept the same, and it's not even a religion, it's the absence of religion, well if someone ask you which is your religion you will say you're Atheist, but then you're not declaring it's a religion, you're declaring that you don't believe in any God, well... in my case I say that I am Satanic, and I am a Laveyan Satanist, and according to Laveyan Satanism you're all Satanists too. In fact I accept Evolution, Communism (not the one that exists today), abortion and liberalism, but... so? That means I am evil? About The Big Bang... hmm... I don't know, it stills a theory without any confirmed facts,,, but I don't accept the theory of the magic man that created the universe, but well if you give me evidences, I will not be blind...

Liberals defend the exploitation of man by man, Conservatives defend the reverse.

BBS Signature
Brick-top
Brick-top
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 20th, 2010 @ 03:57 AM Reply

At 3/19/10 04:20 PM, TheUnwisePoet wrote: People seem to always say, that atheists are responsible for the Holocaust and shit like that, in fact they were, but so what?

How so?

About The Big Bang... hmm... I don't know, it stills a theory without any confirmed facts,,,

Evolution is a theory as well, but " In fact I accept Evolution".

Theory in scientific terms has a different definition to general theory.

SapphireLight
SapphireLight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 20th, 2010 @ 04:04 AM Reply

I'm pretty sure Hitler was some twisted version of Christian and his own ideals.

BBS Signature
JohnnyWang
JohnnyWang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 20th, 2010 @ 04:45 AM Reply

What Hitler believed is debatable, but he used religion as a tool. The SS had belts reading "Gott Mitt Uns" (God is with us) on them. The holocaust was the logical conclusion of centuries of Christian's hate of Jews and other outsiders.

On other notes political, I was a leftist and a liberal even when I was christian. My ideals remained, my faith faded.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature
WhoIsPaul
WhoIsPaul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 27th, 2010 @ 11:29 AM Reply

At 3/20/10 04:45 AM, JohnnyWang wrote: What Hitler believed is debatable, but he used religion as a tool. The SS had belts reading "Gott Mitt Uns" (God is with us) on them. The holocaust was the logical conclusion of centuries of Christian's hate of Jews and other outsiders.

On other notes political, I was a leftist and a liberal even when I was christian. My ideals remained, my faith faded.

The only thing i don't get is that hitler had brown hair and not his perfect blond Aryan hair.

JohnnyWang
JohnnyWang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 29th, 2010 @ 03:31 PM Reply

At 3/27/10 11:29 AM, WhoIsPaul wrote: The only thing i don't get is that hitler had brown hair and not his perfect blond Aryan hair.

Well, most Germans weren't blonde either, but most of them were white and Christian. You could rally them around that flag.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature
WhoIsPaul
WhoIsPaul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 29th, 2010 @ 08:12 PM Reply

At 3/29/10 03:31 PM, JohnnyWang wrote:
At 3/27/10 11:29 AM, WhoIsPaul wrote: The only thing i don't get is that hitler had brown hair and not his perfect blond Aryan hair.
Well, most Germans weren't blonde either, but most of them were white and Christian. You could rally them around that flag.

True.

ComedyAddict
ComedyAddict
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 30th, 2010 @ 10:26 AM Reply

HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT. One problem with that. Nothing can be 'holy', if there's no god. Which there isn't. Finally, an atheist club. Still, aren't us atheists techniclly still practising a 'religion'? Whatever, religion is stupid, there is/are no god(s),and that's it. Although, I still beilive in Karma.... that's not REALLY a 'god'-thing, is it? More of a 'cosmic force'....

The Atheist Army

If you're a cat you get 9 lives. I'm a human, and I get 1 life. Does that mean I'm 1/9 as cool as a cat?
GO FLYGON!

BBS Signature
JohnnyWang
JohnnyWang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 30th, 2010 @ 02:08 PM Reply

At 3/30/10 10:26 AM, ComedyAddict wrote:

:Still, aren't us atheists techniclly still practising a 'religion'?

No.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature
Surreality
Surreality
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Atheist Army Mar. 30th, 2010 @ 04:11 PM Reply

At 3/30/10 10:26 AM, ComedyAddict wrote: HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT. One problem with that. Nothing can be 'holy', if there's no god. Which there isn't. Finally, an atheist club. Still, aren't us atheists techniclly still practising a 'religion'? Whatever, religion is stupid, there is/are no god(s),and that's it. Although, I still beilive in Karma.... that's not REALLY a 'god'-thing, is it? More of a 'cosmic force'....

The way you speak, saying there is no God, it sounds very certain, how can you be certain? Care to explain?