00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Atheist Army

228,169 Views | 3,464 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Atheist Army 2010-11-12 00:23:33

As someone who's not an Atheist but against religion, saying it has caused more harm than good says more about the followers than the religion itself.

Response to The Atheist Army 2010-11-12 05:51:20

At 11/12/10 12:23 AM, MultiCanimefan wrote: As someone who's not an Atheist but against religion, saying it has caused more harm than good says more about the followers than the religion itself.

From our perspective though, the followers ARE the religion. When I read about terrible atrocities committed throughout time, for instance the Inquisition, I think to myself "Wow, look at what Christianity caused." That's why you see a lot of Atheists that are very militant about their beliefs. The whole existence of belief in a higher power has caused nothing but tragedy in civilization since the beginning, and it brings nothing good to the table other than making individuals feel more self-fulfilled with their life. That's a good thing, don't get me wrong, it just doesn't even come close to picking up the battered pieces of what's left of religions reputation. It's really a terrible terrible thing, and regardless of whether or not there is a God, mankind would be better off today if blind faith was a virtue that was never taught. I wish the question "What put us here?" had never been asked.

At 10/11/10 11:11 AM, SeeD419 wrote: LOL. Sounds like an atheist on youtube I used to follow. Some people just classify these beliefs as more of a nihilist perspective, but honestly, there really isn't any proof that there is any meaning in anything. From a scientific standpoint, we are mold on the bread, and any further belief or theory is interesting, but really has no basis of evidence to support it. It ticks me off when my friends classify atheism as nihilism, and I actually had a friend tell me that atheism meant I worshiped satan.

My former step-mom wanted to kick me out of my house when I was 12 because I quote "hated Jesus." Haha. She went and looked up the word to see exactly what it was.

Just because we can't prove that our existence has some 'greater meaning' doesn't necessarily mean our existence isn't important in itself. I don't understand why most theists can't understand this. Personally, and I KNOW some will disagree which is fine, I look at us as animals. I have no reason to believe that a cricket has a soul or is judged after death, I believe that when it dies, it simply ceases to exist as a conscious being and is recycled within the earth into other elements. I personally believe the exact same thing happens to us and I see no reason to believe otherwise. That's not a nihilist perspective, per se, just seems logical to me without any reason to believe otherwise.

Most people would respond that humans display morality that these creatures are incapable of. What I find funny about it, especially from a strictly anti-Christian standpoint is the monkeys. The mother fucking monkeys. I've seen studies that show that chimpanzees that steal food or hurt other monkey for no reason tend to be shunned by the culture. If it continues this behavior, then eventually, it will get its brain smashed in with a rock. They also tend to look down on sexual betrayal. This is hysterical to me because in the ten commandments (the law of man straight off the press from god) it says don't steal, don't kill, and don't commit adultery OR everyone is supposed to smash your brain in with a rock. So basically, the 3 commandments most cited as the prime example of how humans were blessed by god with morality were already adhered to in even the most basic of cultures. There's nothing divine about not accepting murder or theft in your society. In closing, I'll leave one of my favorite videos here that kinda smartasses up my logic here. :p Link.

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-05-22 15:40:40

I received this message from Lumber-Jax12, and I had to share it with you all.

"Millions of people have been killed by atheism, the entire 20th century was fought because of atheism, Stalin and Mao respectively have directly killed more than 90 million people, and where not even counting the nazis.

Hitler was an active member of paganism. An ancient religion that has died out, due to violent beliefs, yet Hitler was a fan of it and at some point even started to convince his SS officers to leave the church, stop baptisms, and he never was married by a minister, it was all civil. The OSS themselves have claimed his next step was the eradication of the Christian churches. He refused to even teach religion in his Hitler Youth program.

Hitler even killed thousands and publicly damned atheists, too. He had no loyalty to anything or anyone but himself. So essentially you have the second greatest genocide committed by an agnostic.
Real bad for religion right? The man was more pagan than anything, and you can't argue that Paganism still counts, its dead and has been years.

It was violent then, and it is violent now, that is why no one preaches it, Sure you can say it has killed thousands and you be right. But to try and target specific, existing religions( E.G. The Abrahamic Religions) and state they have caused only harm is ridiculous.

The last pope was extremely influential in bringing down one of the most repressive and brutal regimes. The head of the state, aka the "Stalin" of the time even stated he helped to do so. One of the most peaceful and helpful cultural revolutions ever designed were lead by holy men, Civil Rights? Hmm lets see that would be none other than REVEREND Martin Luther King Jr. and Mohandas Gandhi or were they brain-dead and brainwashed too?

JFK? A catholic responsible for standing against the USSR's attempt to bring Nuclear Weapons to a radically unstable government, a brain-washed moron who follows the masses? Hardly.

So is religion still some horrible and disgusting ideal used to brainwash the masses, No if anything they have been responsible for the death of a few millions, and the liberation and freedom of some half a billion people in this world.

Why don't you stop making atheists look bad, come up with arguments as to why its your CHOICE, and stop evangelizing this religion based on something you read in a book, by british prick. and let people think what they want too, oh and ps.I always get last word."

The Atheist Army

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-05-22 16:01:47

At 11/12/10 12:23 AM, MultiCanimefan wrote: As someone who's not an Atheist but against religion, saying it has caused more harm than good says more about the followers than the religion itself.

It is the followers. Every religion has is extremists, pussies, and then the ones who follow the religion but have the good sense not to shove their god dicks down your through. I would be more into a religion possibly if someone had an actual true to the matter copy of the original bible, and actually made a proper translation. Even the one we have today isn't that bad, it's a set of guidelines on how you COULD live your life, but because of the hundreds of years of shear stupidness, we have people thinking that every single thing that the bible "Tells" you to do, is absolute law.

I'm agnostic, and i'm good with that, seeing as both Atheist and Religious people tend to be pricks to everyone else but their own little circle of trust. I'll believe in god as long as there are some huge gaps in the theories in the scientific community. No belief is better than another, until people realize this, there will be no peace. And when people do finally realize it, it will probably have been in the final days of humanity.

Also a good question to ask someone who is a bible humper, "Can god create an obstacle that he can't overcome?" and you'll either get a seizure reaction, or something else humorous.

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-05-24 04:09:29

kirby femur.. thank you for giving me that piece of juicy info

cherry garcia: its like having an angel cum in your mouth

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-05-28 19:31:11

Hey Guys, i'm an Atheist too, and i kinda wanted somewhere that I can fit in. Then i found this!

EarFetish, although you're name's kinda creepy, i love that you've gone to the effort of supporting our beliefs. Thank you!!!
Also, can I join, because i don't know how exactly

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-05-28 23:02:11

At 5/22/11 03:40 PM, 1916 wrote: I received this message from Lumber-Jax12, and I had to share it with you all.

"Millions of people have been killed by atheism, the entire 20th century was fought because of atheism, Stalin and Mao respectively have directly killed more than 90 million people, and where not even counting the nazis.

Hitler was an active member of paganism. An ancient religion

"Millions of people have been killed by atheism"

"Hitler was an active member of paganism. An ancient religion"

Classic.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-05-29 00:42:23

At 5/22/11 03:40 PM, 1916 wrote: I received this message from Lumber-Jax12, and I had to share it with you all.

I facepalmed so hard my hand ripped out the back of my skull.
Why do people insist hitler was an atheist yet it's very clear he was christian?

They said I could become anything so I became everything.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-05-29 05:02:14

I can top that. This little gem came off my youtube channel:

"Accepting EVIL EVIL-utionism is an example of an open mind that lets rubbish in since it is purely metaphysical and pseudoscience thereby. However, a superior being, God, that created all things requires and open mind that examines the evidence of the created world without being able to witness the creative act or God in%uFEFF action. This requires a belief in God's word which has been handed down by eyewitnesses and his spokespersons."

Before you ask, this isn't a troll. This asshole ACTUALLY believes it.

It's not the lack of crimes that values your morality but your capacity for contrition.

Click this and one day I'll be worth bazillions.

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-05-29 14:18:51

I didn't think Jesus could've done it until I saw this thread's resurrection.

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-05-29 16:47:29

At 5/29/11 02:18 PM, Earfetish wrote: I didn't think Jesus could've done it until I saw this thread's resurrection.

Haven't you been saying that for about 4 years?

It's not the lack of crimes that values your morality but your capacity for contrition.

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-05-29 23:48:43

Since you all seemed to have fun with the first one, here, have a few more. Straight from the head of Lumber-Jax12.

At 5/21/11 7:08 PM, 1916 wrote

No, millions of people have not been killed by atheism, nor have wars been fought because of it. You're a fool, the people were killed, and the wars started, by atheists. Atheists do not kill for atheism because atheism has nothing for which they must kill for. Stalin and Mao are psychopaths first, atheists second.

This is just idiocy, I was going to respond to you whole post, but after reading this I now know you're just as zealous about atheism as you think we are with religion. You are also ignorant if you think any of the major Religion teaches the death of thousands you are mistaken. The catholic church teaches to love one another. "Love your enemies" ring a bell? Ofourse not why would you, its all mind control, Im not responding to your next reply. Your an ignorant and blatant troll.

Even Islam condemns death, but you only buy into what CNN or Dawkins tells you is true, the religion is sound, its all about how people in power use to manipulate the masses. I also think its great you feel that communism isn't atheistic and isn't responsible for the deaths of millions.

Have fun in denial.

At 5 hours ago, 1916 wrote

P.S. I've posted your first message to me in the Atheist Army.

I don't even know or care what that is. Your last post clearly saw how angry and less concise you were.

At 7 hours ago, 1916 wrote:
At 5/22/11 9:29 PM, Lumber-Jax12 wrote:
At 5 hours ago, 1916 wrote: P.S. I've posted your first message to me in the Atheist Army.
I don't even know or care what that is. Your last post clearly saw how angry and less concise you were.
It's a club full of people far more intelligent than you.

O child, I am far from angry. You didn't even give a proper response to the first time, am I expected to continue putting everything out there in hopes you'll stop acting like you're autistic? I don't think so, and you've done it again, you've ignored my entire other post.

hahahha, you mean the same thread where no-on responded to your post.

Classic Macgruber.

The Atheist Army

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-05-29 23:52:10

Fuck, my copypaste failed a bit there. I'm so ashamed, I don't think I can go on...

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-05-30 00:07:50

This thread, it's like a flamethrower next to a gasoline company.

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-05-30 11:16:15

At 5/29/11 11:48 PM, 1916 wrote: Since you all seemed to have fun with the first one, here, have a few more. Straight from the head of Lumber-Jax12.

I think you two are getting out of hand.

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-06-19 18:06:48

1916 and Lumberjax are both fucking idiots, don't fucking do that shit and link it back to this thread, grow the fuck up, you're just internet arguing about religion

if you can't post itt sensibly then don't fucking post in it

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-06-20 13:59:04

So uh...
Can I join??

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-06-21 13:25:19

1916 is now banned from this club.

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-06-21 13:27:42

For this whole thread basically but his comment to me was the icing. We really don't need people like that here. I'd much prefer it was a dead thread than it to be full of idiotic flames.

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-06-21 13:28:44

At 6/20/11 01:59 PM, thetoker wrote: So uh...
Can I join??

And yes, read the first page.

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-06-21 15:21:15

I actually have a friend at school who is a dedicated Christian, and whenever I ask him for proof of god's existence, he waves his arms around, which is to say that he is stating that everything in existence is god's proof. I then go on to ask him "What is your proof that god created this?" and he says "The bible tells me so." He is an extremely irritating person when it comes to religion.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-06-21 15:27:53

The Christian God is right because the Christian holy book says so.

Harry Potter is also right.

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-06-22 04:59:19

I tried talking to my christian friend about scientology and other religions how they are linked to homophobia and well..I didn't come out as the victor.

cherry garcia: its like having an angel cum in your mouth

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-06-22 19:33:58

At 6/21/11 03:27 PM, Earfetish wrote: The Christian God is right because the Christian holy book says so.

Harry Potter is also right.

I really hope I don't start something that leads to internet arguing techniques and/or trolling, but isn't it circular logic to say that God wrote the Bible, and to use the Bible as evidence for Gods existence?

"How do you know God exists?"
"I would cite the Bible as evidence of that."
"Who wrote the Bible?"
"God."
"..."

If life gives you lemons, read the fine print; chances are, there's a monthly fee attached.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-06-23 00:03:22

I consider myself to be agnostic, in the fact that I believe there is SOME sort of God, or whatever you choose to call it, but beyond that, I follow no religion. I believe in evolution, and I don't necessarily believe in the big bang theory, but I think it's plausible. Perhaps God created the universe and just let things take their course, and so the big bang and evolution took place.

I'm not sure what I believe as far as the afterlife. I want to believe that there is one, but I think that is just fear talking. I see no reason for an afterlife to exist, but I see no reason for one to not exist either.

I'm just confused as fuck, I suppose. Just ignore my ramblings, I was just wondering aloud what any of you thought about my beliefs.

If you're curious, I was raised Catholic, but finding my sexuality to be....unsatisfactory to the standards I'm held at......shattered that belief.

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-06-23 13:43:14

At 6/23/11 12:03 AM, Scarface wrote: I don't necessarily believe in the big bang theory, but I think it's plausible.

What's wrong with the big bang theory?

As far as maybe beliving in some kind of distant trigger god but not saying he cares about us, well it's pretty far from religion but I don't know why you'd find it necessary to believe that either.

I see no reason for an afterlife to exist, but I see no reason for one to not exist either.

That's pretty fair, but there are quite a few reasons why it wouldn't, If you believe fully in evolution then we're evolved mammals. Where does the line get drawn as to entry for 'the afterlife', whatever this place would consist of? Neanderthal man? Early hominids? Rats? Sea sponges? Carrots?

Another little issue is that we know quite a bit about the brain and death and how, when you die, your braincells die, and if they revive you after a while then every part of 'you' is gone for good and you're basically a body with none of what made you 'you' still there.

We also know that if someone loses the right bit of brain matter then they will lose things like memory (including of loved ones that you allegedly see in the afterlife), or personality, or sense of morality, or creative instinct, or anything that, or maybe a combination of all of them if their brain gets totally fucked over.

What, exactly, goes to the afterlife? It seems like everything that makes me 'me' is hopelessly stuck here in the physical realms, bound to earth, and when I die, I decompose. Along with anything that was in me. Just like a jellyfish.

I'm just confused as fuck, I suppose. Just ignore my ramblings, I was just wondering aloud what any of you thought about my beliefs.

I've no problem with them as far as seeing them as particulaly illogical or harmful to society but I'm sure you came in here to be challenged.

If you're curious, I was raised Catholic, but finding my sexuality to be....unsatisfactory to the standards I'm held at......shattered that belief.

Catholicism I see as particularly illogical and harmful to society.

Can I ask what you mean by this? It's the internet, you may as well tell the entire world why you disengaged with the church.

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-06-23 15:35:29

At 6/23/11 01:43 PM, Earfetish wrote:
At 6/23/11 12:03 AM, Scarface wrote: I don't necessarily believe in the big bang theory, but I think it's plausible.
What's wrong with the big bang theory?

Nothing at all. There's no proof, though. Not that there's any proof of God, either.

As far as maybe beliving in some kind of distant trigger god but not saying he cares about us, well it's pretty far from religion but I don't know why you'd find it necessary to believe that either.
I see no reason for an afterlife to exist, but I see no reason for one to not exist either.
That's pretty fair, but there are quite a few reasons why it wouldn't, If you believe fully in evolution then we're evolved mammals. Where does the line get drawn as to entry for 'the afterlife', whatever this place would consist of? Neanderthal man? Early hominids? Rats? Sea sponges? Carrots?

I suppose everything that lived would be in this afterlife. I don't know. Perhaps there isn't one. Again, my fear of nothingness has me wishing for some sort of afterlife.

Another little issue is that we know quite a bit about the brain and death and how, when you die, your braincells die, and if they revive you after a while then every part of 'you' is gone for good and you're basically a body with none of what made you 'you' still there.

We also know that if someone loses the right bit of brain matter then they will lose things like memory (including of loved ones that you allegedly see in the afterlife), or personality, or sense of morality, or creative instinct, or anything that, or maybe a combination of all of them if their brain gets totally fucked over.

What, exactly, goes to the afterlife? It seems like everything that makes me 'me' is hopelessly stuck here in the physical realms, bound to earth, and when I die, I decompose. Along with anything that was in me. Just like a jellyfish.

Supposedly, in the afterlife, your "soul" retains all these memories, feelings, personality, morality, and everything that made you 'you'. Do we really have souls? Do animals? Do plants? Who the hell knows. I hope we do, for the sake of continuous consciousness.

I've no problem with them as far as seeing them as particulaly illogical or harmful to society but I'm sure you came in here to be challenged.

No, not at all, I didn't think anything I said was challengeable, but here you are. I just wanted to discuss what other people believed, and if at all possible, leave the thread with a clearer perspective on what I believe. I was just sharing what I thought, and wondering what others wished to share with me.

Catholicism I see as particularly illogical and harmful to society.

Can I ask what you mean by this? It's the internet, you may as well tell the entire world why you disengaged with the church.

I'm bisexual, and that's frowned upon by the Catholic church, which somewhat turned me off of religion, along with the fact that none of it really made sense to me. Perhaps I'm just too skeptical to be a Christian.

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-06-23 15:59:52

At 6/23/11 03:35 PM, Scarface wrote: Nothing at all. There's no proof, though. Not that there's any proof of God, either.

There's quite a lot of 'proof' about the big bang. Google 'evidence for the big bang'. Maybe a youtube video would be less boring.

On that topic, it's impossible to 'prove' that you're not having a hallucination in a mental hospital at the moment, or that our reality wasn't created four minutes ago by a beetle in another dimension daydreaming, but we know, really, that it's evidence that matters and you're not going to pay those ideas any credence. There's a lot of evidence for the big bang, and for the entire atheistic worldview really, not that atheist is synonymous with belief that the universe started as a singularity.

I suppose everything that lived would be in this afterlife. I don't know. Perhaps there isn't one. Again, my fear of nothingness has me wishing for some sort of afterlife.

It sounds like you know as a rational person that it's not actually there, but you still want to believe it. Death isn't something you should worry about. It gives life meaning. If there was an eternity afterwards it would be pointless doing anything with your decades here other than working for eternity.

However, I think my worldview leads to a greater appreciation about the value of moments and life as an experience. I made a nice thread about this once.

I'm bisexual, and that's frowned upon by the Catholic church, which somewhat turned me off of religion, along with the fact that none of it really made sense to me. Perhaps I'm just too skeptical to be a Christian.

Yes. I think what matters most is that people have the ability to look at how a religious belief affects the world objectively and be able to condemn it if necessary, and for this not to be a big deal.

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-06-23 21:04:10

At 6/23/11 03:59 PM, Earfetish wrote: On that topic, it's impossible to 'prove' that you're not having a hallucination in a mental hospital at the moment, or that our reality wasn't created four minutes ago by a beetle in another dimension daydreaming, but we know, really, that it's evidence that matters and you're not going to pay those ideas any credence. There's a lot of evidence for the big bang, and for the entire atheistic worldview really, not that atheist is synonymous with belief that the universe started as a singularity.
It sounds like you know as a rational person that it's not actually there, but you still want to believe it. Death isn't something you should worry about. It gives life meaning. If there was an eternity afterwards it would be pointless doing anything with your decades here other than working for eternity.

I was too stupid to understand most of the video lol, but a lot did make sense. I guess now I realize why so many people believe in it.

On a side note, I was just wondering, not trying to prove or disprove anything, but; is there any evidence that God doesn't exist, or any proof?

Yes. I think what matters most is that people have the ability to look at how a religious belief affects the world objectively and be able to condemn it if necessary, and for this not to be a big deal.

I just hate the whole "I"m right and everyone else is wrong" attitude most religions have.

Response to The Atheist Army 2011-06-26 23:42:09

At 6/21/11 01:25 PM, Earfetish wrote: 1916 is now banned from this club.

I've done nothing to warrant such action.

At 6/21/11 01:27 PM, Earfetish wrote: For this whole thread basically but his comment to me was the icing. We really don't need people like that here. I'd much prefer it was a dead thread than it to be full of idiotic flames.

I'm so sorry I didn't take too kindly to someone calling me a fucking idiot based on what you assume the private messages that we exchanged contained. I gave you the benefit of the doubt by calling you a troll, the alternative is raving mad idiot.

I didn't post his messages to insult him, in fact I tried my hardest not to. I posted them for humour, because they are so fucking ridiculous. And I've not been flaming anyone in this thread, I only did that to you because you instigated it. It's quite hypocritical to ban me because I didn't stand back and take your moronic insults.