00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Refuce just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Ng Gym

126,296 Views | 2,009 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-08-18 14:37:27

I haven't posted in here in a long ass time but i will some up all the questions about how to get bigger the easiest way that i can.

eat more, eat right, lift heavy, lift smart, don't quit.

"Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."

~Henry Rollins

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-08-18 15:24:37

Right. I have a problem. Partying' has negetively effected me badly. I now have a layer of fat over my now decreased overall Peck size and is there a diet that can build muscle, but effectively loose fat simultaneously.

Furthermore I used to be able to row 40 minutes with breaks in between every solid 20 minutes. I had a serious lower back injury and thus have not rowed in two months. Now I struggle to row a solid 12 minutes and i'm infinitely pissed off.

Help me Newgrounds... I need solid advice. I'm thinking about cutting all carbohydrates from my diet; things like chocolate, pepsi - which is what I refused to eat in my prime. I plan to get back into shape within the next month.

I'm taking all things into consideration, and going to the gym tommorow I am going to ask a gym instructor for advice whether he or she is avalible.

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-08-18 16:09:27

At 8/18/09 03:24 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote: Right. I have a problem. Partying' has negetively effected me badly.

yeah it usually has that effect on people...

I now have a layer of fat over my now decreased overall Peck size and is there a diet that can build muscle, but effectively loose fat simultaneously.

I don't know of any diet anywhere, that will help you build a good amount of muscle while at the the same time losing fat. Cycle your carbs on training and none training days, get a good amount of protein etc.

Furthermore I used to be able to row 40 minutes with breaks in between every solid 20 minutes. I had a serious lower back injury and thus have not rowed in two months. Now I struggle to row a solid 12 minutes and i'm infinitely pissed off.
Help me Newgrounds... I need solid advice. I'm thinking about cutting all carbohydrates from my diet; things like chocolate, pepsi - which is what I refused to eat in my prime. I plan to get back into shape within the next month.

thinking about? these are what you call carbs? man cut this shit, it's not going to help you at all you should only treat yourself to something like a soda or chocolate once a week if even that when your trying to loose weight. get used to drinking diet pepsi, it'll save you in the long run.

I'm taking all things into consideration, and going to the gym tommorow I am going to ask a gym instructor for advice whether he or she is avalible.

wow don't you look up Starting Strenght, or WSFSB, instead of wasting your money on a gym trainer that is going to give you the same workout as a 60 year old lady.

also you should be doing cardio after you workouts at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes or so.

AFTER your weight loss from modifying your diet stops, in other words, don't start doing any cardio until you don't see the number on the scale keep going down.

~Henry Rollins

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-08-18 16:11:13

i realized the above post didn't even outline what would be a solid diet if you have any questions feel free to ask. or just ask someone at the gym who they recommend to go to for nutrition and training advice, it's usually cheaper than getting yourself a trainer.

~Henry Rollins

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-08-18 16:17:17

At 8/18/09 04:09 PM, Zack wrote: yeah it usually has that effect on people...

Yup.

I now have a layer of fat over my now decreased overall Peck size and is there a diet that can build muscle, but effectively loose fat simultaneously.
I don't know of any diet anywhere, that will help you build a good amount of muscle while at the the same time losing fat. Cycle your carbs on training and none training days, get a good amount of protein etc.

Well I did some digging just now and looked at this diet here, but I want to have a full understanding of it before I even consider it.

thinking about? these are what you call carbs? man cut this shit, it's not going to help you at all you should only treat yourself to something like a soda or chocolate once a week if even that when your trying to loose weight. get used to drinking diet pepsi, it'll save you in the long run.

Sorry, wrong term entirely. Doing. I can stop whenever I want, it's just I havn't really cared much on account of collage holiday fun. Now i'm paying the price!

wow don't you look up Starting Strenght, or WSFSB, instead of wasting your money on a gym trainer that is going to give you the same workout as a 60 year old lady.

I don't pay for a gym trainer. He just gives me workout's and routines.

also you should be doing cardio after you workouts at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes or so.

Yeh I figured that the rowing was really the only cardio I ever got, that and a 20 minute run on the treadmill. It all went downhill from there!

AFTER your weight loss from modifying your diet stops, in other words, don't start doing any cardio until you don't see the number on the scale keep going down.

Thank you for all the help you can give me. = ]

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-08-18 16:25:40

Bookmarked WFSB.

Can you explain the difference between strength training and toning muscles? Also is there any advice /links you can give me to a controlled diet? How much protien should I be eating before and after training and on training days.etc. In order to improve. Weirdly it feels like I havn't lost much strength when I lift my home weights but my size has went downhill - so has my endurence with it I imagine.

Never the less I will keep you posted and all will be revealed tommorow!

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-08-18 16:52:49

At 8/18/09 04:25 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote: Bookmarked WFSB.

thats a good place to start a lot of people have done really well using that program when they get back into lifting.

Can you explain the difference between strength training and toning muscles?

When i hear the words strength training i think of power lifting meaning the only focus is to get how much you can lift ONCE on a given exercise.

Then they're is strength training from the point of view of along with building muscle, which usually means that you keep the weights between the 4-8 rep range during sets.

Then they're is a guess what most people considering 'toning muscles' where as your training for the primary goal of adding muscle, and the strength gain is just another positive effect. Usually most people would consider that being between the 8-12 rep range during sets.

in my opinion the whole idea of toning muscle is invented by skinny people that afraid of getting big and don't have any muscle mass on them already.

don't worry about this at all when starting out just fallow a solid program like WFSB and you'll be fine.

Also is there any advice /links you can give me to a controlled diet? How much protein should I be eating before and after training and on training days.etc. In order to improve. Weirdly it feels like I haven't lost much strength when I lift my home weights but my size has went downhill - so has my endurance with it I imagine.

Never the less I will keep you posted and all will be revealed tomorrow!

i have no idea how to really give you any diet advice when i don't know how much you weigh and exactly what your goals are but if you read through the articles linked in this thread about nutrition you should be at a good starting point.

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_f orum/sports_body_training_performance_bo dybuilding_beginner/must_reads_for_begin ners

~Henry Rollins

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-08-18 17:37:53

At 8/18/09 03:24 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote: Right. I have a problem. Partying' has negetively effected me badly. I now have a layer of fat over my now decreased overall Peck size and is there a diet that can build muscle, but effectively loose fat simultaneously.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abs-Diet-6-week-
Flatten-Stomach/dp/1405087978/ref=sr_1_1 ?ie=UTF8&qid=1250631426&sr=8-1

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-08-19 00:50:11

At 8/18/09 05:37 PM, Nev wrote:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abs-Diet-6-week-
Flatten-Stomach/dp/1405087978/ref=sr_1_1 ?ie=UTF8&qid=1250631426&sr=8-1

that book got me started on smartly lifting weights.

where's your picture since you give out so much advice ;p

~Henry Rollins

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-08-19 02:58:26

My only issue with Gym's these days is membership costs. I mean, I'm not a cheap skate or anything like that. $600 Australian dollars or so for a year membership to a decent gym seems a bit much. What justifies this much money guys, honestly?

I'm into getting in shape and so forth, But I don't have that sort of money for the occasional visit to the gym. I'm still doing studies at the moment, So my income isn't great. Regardless, Here's a little of my basic information.

Height: 6 Foot, Exactly.
Weight: 100Kg, Exactly.
Bench: 60Kg, 25 times.
Pushups: 40 Approx.

100Kg might seem like a lot for my height. Although, I'm not actually fat. I have a bit of jiggle in some areas, But as a whole I'm extremely solid and broad. Not too toned, I want to basically tone my size. So, Information on that wouldn't hurt.

Also, At the moment I mainly do Boxing and MMA. Because the membership costs are more along my lines, and I've always had an interest in fighting. Respectfully of coarse :)

My stats may not be great, Don't hate on me :)

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-08-19 03:38:55

im not going to say anything other than not actually getting yourself a gym membership and going consistently you will never reach near the level most of you want to go. if you want it bad enough you can pay for it.

prove me wrong.

~Henry Rollins

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-08-19 04:03:42

I've got a membership to a Gym, and of coarse my Boxing group. But I just don't see what actually justifies these huge prices.

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-08-19 07:49:49

At 8/19/09 12:50 AM, Zack wrote: where's your picture since you give out so much advice ;p

Haha my body doesn't show me to be knowledgable :P.
But I started this place, I've read pretty much every post thats been posted ;).

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-08-19 12:14:45

So I've been taking altered state, which is a Nitric Oxide supplement (does the same thing as N O Explode), for quite some time now. Probably about the length of the summer. I've noticed a big difference when I lift, like being able to do more reps, or just even lifting earlier in the morning when I'm usually dead. However, I feel like it has also been screwing with my complexion. I feel like I might be gaining more acne from it but I'd rather not stop until I finish the product, being that it's almost done. Does anyone know anything about this? I may want to buy it again a couple months down the road but don't want to sacrifice my face for it =/

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-08-19 19:49:40

mhmmhm. sure nev, you don't need to prove anything to me hahaha.

a no product should not be doing anything to your face that's something else called random fucking acne for no reason, and totally sucks.

~Henry Rollins

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-08-19 19:57:10

Don't steroids give you acne?

Thats what I was thinking reading that post.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-08-20 01:06:36

Maybe its just something else. Could be related to testosterone in some sense, during your workout, Or maybe your new supplement is messing with your testosterone in some form. It happens :)

Sweat can also play a small part in acne, But doing more workouts shouldn't be doing anything more than a pimple or two really. Maybe its just, coincidental timing.

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-08-20 12:29:03

Well either way, I feel like the product doesn't help me anymore cuz I've gotten used to it and I'd rather not up the dose I'm taking. So I'm done with it, for now at least, and hopefully my face clears up.

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-08-20 15:41:57

unless a product says that it has t in it or boosts it it should not in any way be effecting your t levels.

it's probably just acne and yes sweating may be a part of it. I've gotten used to No products myself but i continue to take them because i feel that it's still benefiting but hey if you want to save your money.

and yes one of the side effects of steroids is acne but that can be pretty much eliminated if you cycle smartly. any boost in hormones mainly testosterone will promote acne in some people.

~Henry Rollins

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-08-23 22:49:30

Well I have been working out for about a year or two now, So I might as well join.

Only read OP so don't gut me over anything.

This post was valuable.

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-09-01 18:51:03

DrForeman you are seriously are the biggest dumbass, stop copya/pasta N.O. is the worst product to take you seriously dont know what the fuck your talking about

lol

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-09-01 23:14:14

At 9/1/09 06:51 PM, WorkingComedian wrote: DrForeman you are seriously are the biggest dumbass, stop copya/pasta N.O. is the worst product to take you seriously dont know what the fuck your talking about

N.O. isn't a bad product. It really does give you a ton of energy and your veins get huge. I noticed myself doing 10 more lbs of weight and another set of reps when I was using it. If you want something even more serious than explode though, I would suggest black powder. That can give you a headache too though.

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-10-18 12:31:14

Hey guys.

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before (several hundred times at least, given the nature of most internet-addicts and this thread itself), but I'd like to know...

A) How long, approximately, would it take for someone of medium build and in vague shape (who goes for a 45 minute run at least 3 or 4 days a week and does about 40 pushups daily) to develop abdominal muscles, if they worked on that set of muscles steadily and doing the right exercises?

B) Keeping in mind the fact that I don't have abs, at all, at the moment...would any of you know where I can find a safe but relatively effective guide or regiment of daily excercises (without going overboard, I don't want to hurt myself or do something that would discourage me from continuing it) that would help me start to develop those muscles? Or even better, would some of YOU who've personally obtained a decent-looking 6 pack be able to point me in the right direction?

I'd post a picture of my tummy, but I think I remember there being a rule against that.

If you'd be so kind as to just give it a thought, I'd be really grateful. And if I haven't put down enough information and you're interested in helping a guy out, just say so.

Thanks a bunch.

Pure awesomeness. You must read it.

(God-like signature by Zeppekk)

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-10-18 12:33:13

P.S.

Those of you who HAVE decent looking muscles, and didn't used to...have you noticed any real change in how people perceive you?

I don't necessarily mean: "do chicks dig muscles as much as they seem to do on TV and shit", but that's certainly a big part of the question.

Pure awesomeness. You must read it.

(God-like signature by Zeppekk)

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-10-18 15:01:58

At 10/18/09 12:31 PM, LinkSilvermane wrote: B) Keeping in mind the fact that I don't have abs, at all, at the moment...would any of you know where I can find a safe but relatively effective guide or regiment of daily excercises...

There is a book called the Abs Diet by David Zinczenko that someone recommended in this club very early on, and I have it myself. Unfortunately I've totally got out of the habit (and my waitline is ballooning) but a couple of years ago when I followed it properly I definately noticed a difference.
The book is essentially about the diet involved (and its interesting) but there is a chapter on the exercise routine that the diet can get the best out of.

Have a looky on Amazon or download an e-book of it or something.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-10-19 16:34:43

I went through the weights routine I used to do a year or so ago. I used to do it twice, and after just one I began to feel sick and tired today.
So that lack of muscle explains why I've been putting weight on so easily.

Shouldn't be too long getting back into my groove thanks to Mr. Whey Powder :).

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-11-09 16:55:23

At 10/18/09 12:33 PM, LinkSilvermane wrote: P.S.

Those of you who HAVE decent looking muscles, and didn't used to...have you noticed any real change in how people perceive you?

I'd say that in general, people are simply less dismissive of you. It's not like you can't be taken seriously if you're on the fat side, but it's definitely a lot easier if you're in good shape.

Dead.

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-11-19 21:55:46

We should all share pictures of ourselves without shirts on flexing our muscles.

not gay at all

DISCLAIMER: I was not sober during the making of this post.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-12-06 22:47:32

Hi I'm 19.I'm 130 pounds.I want to gain about 15 more pounds preferrably in muscle.I curl weights the heaviest I have are 30 IBs.I also do 50 sit ups while holding a 10 IB behind my head.I might bump to 20.Any idea how heavy I should go?I used to do pushups but I stopped.I think I'll get back into them though.

I take creatine supplements to improve oxygen and water flow to muscles as well as to provide nutrients to the muscle tissue.I just want to know how to improve my workout routine

Response to The Ng Gym 2009-12-08 23:18:02

PS peeps trying to develop abs: Try taking up climbing, especially bouldering.

Not. Even. Joking.

Dead.