00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Reason Thread

48,245 Views | 376 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-22 20:26:43

Reason Pricing question here:

I'm looking to buy Reason right now, but (as most highschool students) am tight on cash. I have done some price checking, and it seems like on online retailers I can get it for about 200$. However, when I go onto ebay, I see new copys of Reason (sometimes including other samples, refills, and tutorials) for 70$ and below! Is this really just a good deal, or are they REselling (pun intended) products after they rip the cd key or somthing? Great software, and maybe a n00b question, but please help me out! Thanks :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-23 05:57:37

At 1/22/06 08:26 PM, MrMaestro wrote: Reason Pricing question here:

are they REselling (pun intended) products after they rip the cd key or somthing?

I wouldn't doubt that the majority does.Be aware that mostly what you're paying for is the License number. Propellerheads offers Reason as an "Upgrade Pack" for owners who already have a license from a previous version purchased. Make sure that it says somewhere in the description that a license is included. Otherwise you will not be able to install the software.

Another note is that, if it's used, the seller has probably already registered the license number, stopping you from being able to download future updates and free refills from propellerheads' site.

Audio | Alter | It sounds like a fire hydrant went off in an old folks home with screaming babies field recorded, glitched, and spontaneously played back.

BBS Signature

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-23 06:02:07

You can get Reason 3.0 for like, $30
Check this ebay auction out!

It includes a license # but he has already registered it.

It ends in 6 hours!!! Hurry your ass up!!

Audio | Alter | It sounds like a fire hydrant went off in an old folks home with screaming babies field recorded, glitched, and spontaneously played back.

BBS Signature

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-24 10:23:29

wow, haven't been on the forums in forever!

just did a quick skim reading . . . these are the 'easy-to-answer' questions that I picked out over 3 pages, lol.

someone mentioned if there was a way to replicated thunder in the Reason synths. dude, there's already a patch right there in the Factory Soundbank for it! ;) just look under Subtractor patches in the 'FX' folder. look in the 'FX' folder for any instrument, and you can find some awesome sounds.

also, people keep mentioning that Propellerheads is only 4 guys (not just jarrydn) . . . I think you guys are mixing up Propellerhead the company and Propellerheads the band, lol!

and finally, someone else asked why the Automate function is grayed out sometimes, and that is either because you can't automate that specific parameter, OR (the most likely), you need to create a sequencer track for that device! if there is no sequence track for said device, then there's no way you can automate it. right click on the device, and go to 'Create', and then "Create Sequence Track for 'Device X' ". and THEN you can right click on the button or knob and Automate it. it's a common mishap, hope that helps.

it feels weird to be back . . . this'll be interesting . . .

"And I'm off!!!

Now this is the story all about how, my life got flipped, turned upside down . . . "

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-24 20:24:39

I don't know if it's been posted already - (if it has then sorry...)

Here's a great resource - http://www.combinatorhq.com/hq/

lots of patches and refills - all free - just requires a painless registration...

BBS Signature

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-26 08:21:53

Heres a pretty cool refill:

http://www.toontrack..eatures_refill.shtml

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-06-10 11:39:08

Keyboard question

I have a yamaha dgx 505, and it has a pitch-bend wheel. When I set it up with reason, the pitch wheel automatically interfaced itself with the pitch bender in reason. My question is, can I make the pitchbend wheel on my keyboard do other things beside pitchbend? Like uninterface it with pitch bend and make it do the job of a mod wheel?

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-06-10 11:42:01

Yay! I finally learned Reason, and this time in one hour! Some of my stuff now will be made by Reason, thats only if I get the full version!

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-06-10 12:11:00

At 6/10/06 11:39 AM, Shom wrote: Keyboard question

I have a yamaha dgx 505, and it has a pitch-bend wheel. When I set it up with reason, the pitch wheel automatically interfaced itself with the pitch bender in reason. My question is, can I make the pitchbend wheel on my keyboard do other things beside pitchbend? Like uninterface it with pitch bend and make it do the job of a mod wheel?

Yes. Right click any control (yes, even 2 state buttons), click [b]edit remote override mapping[/b], check the [b]learn from control surface activity[/b] then move the pitch wheel. activity bar should light up and once you hit OK, the pitch bend will be assigned permanently to that controller.

To unbind, just change [b]control surface[/b] to 'no override mapping'

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-06-10 13:22:43

I asked this somewhere else, but this thread is probably better

How does one make triplets on the reason sequencer?

It seems oh so basic, yet I am at a loss trying to figure it out.

Developer by day; Deviant by night

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-06-10 14:58:53

All you gotta do is set snapping to anything with a T on the end, as below:

The Reason Thread

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-06-13 11:50:50

Of course...

I assumed the "T" stood for dotted, like dotted eight dote...for some reason.
I dont know why

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-06-13 15:31:36

Remember there are two seporate drop downs like that - One for editing (the one shown) and one for quantizing.

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-08-28 16:38:24

how do i convert tracks i made in reason into mp3 format?

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-08-28 16:43:35

At 8/28/06 04:38 PM, man_slayer wrote: how do i convert tracks i made in reason into mp3 format?

reason alone cannot do this for you, so first youll have to export the audio as a wav, then find a trustworthy mp3 codec that´ll do the job.

Wakka wakka

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-08-29 04:43:16

Is there any way in reason you can put a tempo change in the middle of a song?

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-08-29 07:57:15

At 8/29/06 04:43 AM, AuntyJamima wrote: Is there any way in reason you can put a tempo change in the middle of a song?

Nope. Not in reason alone.
I do not know if cubase or other programs that can "master" reason have that function, if so, you´d slave reason and actually use the other programs engine to do the trick...

Wakka wakka

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-08-29 18:06:02

At 8/29/06 07:57 AM, Rucklo wrote:
At 8/29/06 04:43 AM, AuntyJamima wrote: Is there any way in reason you can put a tempo change in the middle of a song?
Nope. Not in reason alone.
I do not know if cubase or other programs that can "master" reason have that function, if so, you´d slave reason and actually use the other programs engine to do the trick...

that sucks. although, i do have an idea of way you might be able to do it. of course it would be quite annoying to have to do everytime. but basically what you can do is just change the tempo for the whole song then record/program the tempo changed part. once you are finished change the song back to the original tempo and select all the notes at the new one. the click edit>change events>scale tempo. you would then have to figure out the percentage difference between the two tempos. so say the original tempo was 140 and the new one was 120. then you would take 120/140 which roughly equals 86%. So if you scaled the tempo 86% then you would wind up with a tempo fairly close to what you wanted. but ya. i was just hoping there would be an easier way.

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-08-29 19:12:03

Yup. Tempo change has been on the top of many people's wishlist for a while now, I'm not exactly sure why Propellerhead hasn't added the feature. hopefully in 3.5/4.0 they will add it. I found myself really limited by that aspect in some cases. A simple tempo change is easy enough I suppose, but rubato? That's a pain in the ass to do.

BBS Signature

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-08-30 02:38:45

to be honest, i think they will keep reason limited due to the fact that propellerheads is a part of steinberg, meaning they have other software (cough* cubase *couhg) that they most likley will push for more experienced users. I would think that they see reason as a great tool, powerful in many ways and with SO much capability, but they wont make it better then for example cubase, perhaps to keep the price down, perhaps to actually have two different products on the market so they´ll sell more and not comopete with each other in the true sense of competing...
but hell, what do i know... im just guessing here :)

Wakka wakka

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-08-31 19:38:34

I lost Reason 3.0 due to a computer failure. Now I have Reason 2.0 until next Tuesday. How the fuck does an iMac G5 breakdown? I'm guessing the new Intel chip sucks. Anyways, Reason is lovely.

Tip:

For those who don't know. If you don't like the soundbank drum samples, but like some of the samples in a Rex loop that you want to use, here's you're answer.

When you are browsing for a sample through the Redrum Sample Browser click on a rex2 file and it'll split up the loop in to all the original samples. Then you can chose which sample you like. Your welcome, and I hope I helped someone out.

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-08-31 22:46:47

Rucklo, are you sure Proellerhead is a part of Steinberg? My understanding was that they were simply very cooperative with each other.

BBS Signature

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-09-01 15:09:59

At 8/31/06 10:46 PM, DavidOrr wrote: Rucklo, are you sure Proellerhead is a part of Steinberg? My understanding was that they were simply very cooperative with each other.

actually im not 100%, but thats what i heard, that steinberg bought propellerheads... but who knows, there are many ways to own a company...

investigation needed ...

Wakka wakka

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-09-13 20:10:51

Is tempo change possible?

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-09-13 20:16:36

k nevermind someone asked that same question on this page...

Response to The Reason Thread 2006-09-16 11:51:24

At 8/28/06 04:38 PM, man-slayer wrote: how do i convert tracks i made in reason into mp3 format?

I think your best bet is a program called audactity.

I got it free off the website, its a relatively small program, and it converts .wav to .mp3 in like a minute.

You can prob get it here
but dont quote me on that, its been a while

Response to The Reason Thread 2007-01-02 18:27:33

At 10/9/06 11:19 PM, SadSpoon wrote: Hay, everybody.
I have a question about Reason 2.0.
I want to use ReWire to link GarageBand 3 to Reason so I bring those awesome GB guitars into my songs.
I open GarageBand, then I open Reason, and i get an error message saying there's something wrong with my Reason Engine. When I open it without GB, it works.

WTF?

Open Garageband first.

Response to The Reason Thread 2007-01-02 18:30:06

misread your post, sorry.

Try opening Reason first? :/

Response to The Reason Thread 2007-01-03 05:30:07

At 10/9/06 11:19 PM, SadSpoon wrote: Hay, everybody.
I have a question about Reason 2.0.
I want to use ReWire to link GarageBand 3 to Reason so I bring those awesome GB guitars into my songs.
I open GarageBand, then I open Reason, and i get an error message saying there's something wrong with my Reason Engine. When I open it without GB, it works.

WTF?

Ya that will happen. If Reason is opened first then no link is made. Anyhow, I believe you are running these programs on an intel mac, no? If so, the reason (no pun intended) you are getting that error is because Reason 2.0 is being opened in Rosetta and Garageband is not. For some reason (oh god), they both need to be either universal or rosetta. So, you are left with two options, upgrade to Reason 3.05 and run both in universal (suggested if you have the money/capabilities), or run Garageband in rosetta (click on it and get info then change the preference.

ok if you dont have an intel mac, then i dont know.

Response to The Reason Thread 2007-01-03 07:58:54

At 1/2/07 06:30 PM, Oro wrote: misread your post, sorry.

Try opening Reason first? :/

Reason is always the midi slave program - as is it can only run as a VST type instrument in rewire mode, and not as the sequencer, unless you're rewiring it to Rebirth which is the sole case where it's the other way round.

The correct way to do it is always open the sequencing program first, but that's whats causing the error.

It dosn't seem to be something you're doing wrong, maybe a sound setup error?