Be a Supporter!

The Reason Thread

  • 24,268 Views
  • 377 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Khuskan
Khuskan
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-11 11:40:50 Reply

Nice idea LJ, i might have to contribute to it...

RyeGuyHead
RyeGuyHead
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Programmer
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-11 22:32:39 Reply

At 1/10/06 08:39 PM, LJCoffee wrote:
At 1/10/06 08:04 PM, RyeGuyHead wrote: go to torrentspy.com
Nine 700 MB refills chunks up your hard drive....alot
I guess it would a little - it's not really that much though - I do video editing here and it's not uncommon to see video work files up around 15 or 20 GB each, but I have plenty of space so I'm not too worried about a few gigs.

It is when you only have 6Mb left on your hard drive, but whatever

Garrrrr pirates


just you wait

MiX-MaztA-M8riX
MiX-MaztA-M8riX
  • Member since: Aug. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-13 20:26:31 Reply

I know this is gonna sound like a noobish question, but I'm relatively new to this program (relatively as in I screwed around for 5 minutes and gave myself a heart attack trying to learn lol) but I'm interested in making more of Techno/Dance music, and I was wondering how this is done? I've done it in FL , but this is a whole other world to learn.

Thanks for any help in advance!

RyeGuyHead
RyeGuyHead
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Programmer
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-13 21:33:42 Reply

My advice would be to go back to fruity loops and play around with that for another year. Reason is a whole different ballgame, and techno/dance is easier with fruity loops anyways

But dont ask me


just you wait

MiX-MaztA-M8riX
MiX-MaztA-M8riX
  • Member since: Aug. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-14 00:14:26 Reply

Ok, so to make it easier, lets just say I didnt ask you.

{Restates The Question}

Any other USEFUL info?=P

Khuskan
Khuskan
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-14 04:38:11 Reply

I'd have to agree with ryeguy on this one. Reason definatly isnt noob-friendly, its very hard to learn unless you've had musical experience beforehand, or are extremely gifted...

Laiderdaiv
Laiderdaiv
  • Member since: Aug. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-14 06:14:32 Reply

Would anyone care to give me a walkthrough on the process of wireing Reason as a slave for FruityLoops? I know nothing about this. I'm such a Reason Junkie I don't even know what a VST is....at all, lol.

Dreamnation
Dreamnation
  • Member since: Jan. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-14 07:43:26 Reply

Omg that site is Swedish. :E

Khuskan
Khuskan
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-14 09:50:58 Reply

At 1/14/06 07:43 AM, Dreamnation wrote: Omg that site is Swedish. :E

OH NOES!

You would never guess what, this site is in ENGLISH!

THE HORROR! THE HORRRRRRORRRR!

Sebby-man
Sebby-man
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-14 13:07:00 Reply

I got Reason 3.0 about 2 months ago, and i love it. At first when I got the trial, I didn't even know where the play button was, and when i found it, i didnt know how to actually make notes or anything. Then I ordered a tutorial off ebay and it explained enough for me to atleast write notes. Right know I have 5 songs made from Reason and they are all 75% better (not quite 100%) than my previous 15 or so songs. Reason is just great, because it offers tons of instruments and effects and whatever you want for a song. One thing I dont know how to do is make a drum roll. Does it matter the tempo, because the song im working on is a 105 tempo? Well for anyone out there, i suggest you get Reason for the student price of $200, because its worth it.

The Reason Thread

MiX-MaztA-M8riX
MiX-MaztA-M8riX
  • Member since: Aug. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-14 13:35:44 Reply

Ok, I've been using Reason for about a month now, got the hang of the ReDrum (Drum Machine) and now I'm slowly working my way to learning the Malstrom and Subtractor Synths... I just find the interface a lot different, but it's great at the same time. Also, I see there are like, 20 different little effects you can route the Synths through, I just wanted to ask, if it's generally recommended for getting a good sound.

Thx!

LJCoffee
LJCoffee
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-14 14:58:24 Reply

At 1/14/06 01:35 PM, MiX-MaztA-M8riX wrote: got the hang of the ReDrum (Drum Machine) and now I'm slowly working my way to learning the Malstrom and Subtractor Synths...

These comments are not directed at you Mix - they're more of a general nature - but I'm quoting you because, well... you said it...

There really isn't anything very complicated about Reason - Everything that you find in Reason 3 is either an imporovement on or is based on older software and basic techniques.

There are so many people that talk about how complicated that Reason is but honestly, I don't see it - Sure there are at least a hundred little tricks concerning routing and filtering everything that can seem overwhelming but the basics are all very easy to understand.

ReDrum is just a carry-over from EVERY other drum machine, both hardware and software, that I've ever used. They didn't radically change anything or come up with a completely new interface - same with the synths - oscillators and waveforms... Anyone who'se played around at all with any other software titles or VSTi's should have a decent understanding of what's going on there...

What - did nobody here ever use ReBirth? Same concepts apply ...

So far I see Reason a little like playing checkers - took almost no time to get the basics down - Easy to learn - very hard to 'master' though - but then, name me one good piece of software that doesn't work like that.

I'm seeing alot of elitist comments like Reason is way too advanced for new users - go back to FL ... well that's not true either - I'm pretty sure that if you find Reason difficult, you're not going to have much more luck with FL, Acid, Cubase, GarageBand or anything else...

Take some time to get really familiar with each component on it's own - spend an hour or two just messing around - not composing a masterpiece - just ... messing around - Play with your tools - that's the only way you're going to get to know them - Start with ... say... reDrum... play with every knob you can find and listen to what happens - then do the same with the Subtractor - then the Malstrom - once you're comfortable with those then start looking at each of the effects - then experiment with the routing and the Combinator...

If you're really lost then I suggest getting a book or two - Go ask someone for $25. then hitch a ride to Borders and buy "Reason 3 Ignite" - it's a very basic book aimed at beginners that will step you through every device available. Once you're done with it you'll know all the basics - or at least enough to be able to create something decent - assuming that you're able to compose something decent that is...

Good luck - I wish you the best!


BBS Signature
Khuskan
Khuskan
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-14 15:16:36 Reply

What people often overlook is the EXTENSIVE help file. Although it dosnt teach you how to make music, it goes through, bit by bit, all the modules, what they do and how to make them work, along with samples, visual examples etc.

I highly recommed that newbies check it out to learn what all the modules do.

LJCoffee
LJCoffee
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-14 15:28:28 Reply

At 1/14/06 03:16 PM, Khuskan wrote: What people often overlook is the EXTENSIVE help file.

Fuck'n A right...

There's so much help available from within the program and on the web site... Oh, yeah - that's right, you can only get that stuff if you're a registered user... and they usually rip help files out of illegal copies to decrease file sizes :)

Never ceases to amaze me how people who cannot click a help icon can even manage to type the words "how do I...?"


BBS Signature
MiX-MaztA-M8riX
MiX-MaztA-M8riX
  • Member since: Aug. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-14 15:32:44 Reply

Thanks for the info guys, I know it sounds dumb but it never even occured to me to click to help file!!!! ahhh!

Khuskan
Khuskan
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-14 15:53:18 Reply

At 1/14/06 03:28 PM, LJCoffee wrote: Never ceases to amaze me how people who cannot click a help icon can even manage to type the words "how do I...?"

Its against manly nature to look at the help file, because we all know we're too good for help

or possibly beyond it.
RyeGuyHead
RyeGuyHead
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Programmer
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-14 19:49:36 Reply

At 1/14/06 03:53 PM, Khuskan wrote:
Its against manly nature to look at the help file, because we all know we're too good for help

or possibly beyond it.

Hells yes, Id much rather go through the pain and confusion of learning a new program then looking at that thing


just you wait

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Member since: Oct. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-15 06:45:53 Reply

Hey, LJcoffe, u being the chief of the whole newgrounds-refill idea, perhaps its better to create a separate thread for that, so all info can be collected there?
once again, its an awsome idea!


Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

LJCoffee
LJCoffee
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-15 12:37:03 Reply

At 1/15/06 06:45 AM, Rucklo wrote: Hey, LJcoffe, perhaps its better to create a separate thread for that

Good idea - I'll get a few more things together on this end then create a new topic.

Thanks


BBS Signature
lexus3
lexus3
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-15 20:26:35 Reply

first question:
Sometimes, i find the edit automation option in reason "grayed out" and am unable to automate that particular quality. Does any one know why this is? or how to get fix/get around this?

second question:
ok, you every listen to a song, particularly rap/techno/trance (electronic) and the 1 beat of the song comes in late or early, like a disc skip effect or something and the beat kinda comes in on say a sixteenth or time or something... well i wanna do that in reason except the concept does not seem to wanna work with any sequencers (like redrum). for instance, if i were to have the song start off the beat by an 8th note, the drum track playing on run mode (like when its not copied to the track) would naturally play on the beats and be "off" with the song..
so does anyone know what i am talking about and can help?? thanks!

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Member since: Oct. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-15 21:05:18 Reply

At 1/15/06 08:26 PM, lexus3 wrote: first question:
Sometimes, i find the edit automation option in reason "grayed out" and am unable to automate that particular quality. Does any one know why this is? or how to get fix/get around this?

That is most likley because you have not created a track in the sequencer for whatever youre using. When ui create a new dec\vice, (nnxt, dr.rex, nn19, or one of the synths) you will automaticly get a track in the sequencer, and therefor u can automate.
Just go to the sequencer, to the left, and create a new empty track. then choose the correct effect or whatever u wanna automate, in the empty track. happy automating. :)

second question:
ok, you every listen to a song, particularly rap/techno/trance (electronic) and the 1 beat of the song comes in late or early, like a disc skip effect or something and the beat kinda comes in on say a sixteenth or time or something... well i wanna do that in reason except the concept does not seem to wanna work with any sequencers (like redrum). for instance, if i were to have the song start off the beat by an 8th note, the drum track playing on run mode (like when its not copied to the track) would naturally play on the beats and be "off" with the song..
so does anyone know what i am talking about and can help?? thanks!

uhm, i have no idea really, but i guess u wnat more controll over your beat? ur better of using the sequencer for the redrum, rather than the yellow progra-thingy, whatever its scalled. i allways draw in my beats/play them with my midi keyboard.


Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

Sebby-man
Sebby-man
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-17 14:36:25 Reply

Right now im working on a song with a 140 tempo, and i have a drumroll. But my problem is that I cant seem to find the right drum, they all sound really bad. If anyone has any preffered drum samples that work well in drum rolls, please tell me!

The Reason Thread

Khuskan
Khuskan
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-17 14:48:32 Reply

Dude, why do you keep image spamming that picture...

MiX-MaztA-M8riX
MiX-MaztA-M8riX
  • Member since: Aug. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-17 16:27:19 Reply

Ok, I can easily put a basic drum pattern down, figured out the different beat automations, now what I'm really trying to get at are good bass and (saw type) synth sounds. As an example, in Fruity Loops, there was the Sytrus VSTi that had a bunch of badass saw's. If you guys know what I mean, it'd be helpful for some insight.

-=-ThX-=-

Khuskan
Khuskan
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-17 16:34:02 Reply

Get out a malstrom, and set the oscilators to 'saw 16'

Badass saw.

MiX-MaztA-M8riX
MiX-MaztA-M8riX
  • Member since: Aug. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-17 22:36:13 Reply

Rock on man!

MiX-MaztA-M8riX
MiX-MaztA-M8riX
  • Member since: Aug. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-17 22:50:15 Reply

Ok I've been messing with this Malstrom thingette, and I cant really get the sound I'm tryin to get. Like, if you've heard the beginning of B0UNC3's PoE Club Demo, that Dry type of synth, I dont even know where to start in building that beast.

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Member since: Oct. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-18 04:37:47 Reply

At 1/17/06 10:50 PM, MiX-MaztA-M8riX wrote: Ok I've been messing with this Malstrom thingette, and I cant really get the sound I'm tryin to get. Like, if you've heard the beginning of B0UNC3's PoE Club Demo, that Dry type of synth, I dont even know where to start in building that beast.

I hav no idea of how much knowledge u have in creating own synths, but if youre fresh, i suggest u open up a premade patch and start messing around with it to learn.
Othervise, if u wanna cerate fat synth's in reason, to get a loud sound, create 3 identical synths, hook them up with a spider, or line-mixer, combinate them. Make smaaall changes on the cent. settings on each synth, and ull get a smooth phasing, so it wont sound too monotone. or use the modulators to get whatever sound you're after. Add various effects to get the what ur after... I have no possibility to listen to songs u mentioned at the moment, nor do i remember, but b0unc3 uses vanguard VST, wich is quite expensieve (correct me if im wrong). And its a good synth, + b0unc3 knows what hes doing...
Its not impossible to simulate other synths, reason is quite teh powerful thingie, but u must know what ur doing.


Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

Khuskan
Khuskan
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-18 12:18:29 Reply

Agreed, look for the 'velocity trance lead' patch for combinator.

Intakt
Intakt
  • Member since: Jan. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread 2006-01-19 18:24:20 Reply

This is for all of you that don't know this. But you can download the full version of ReBirth from www.rebirthmuseum.com

This is not piracy! It is discontinued.