New Topic Respond to this Topic
Khuskan
Khuskan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread May. 10th, 2009 @ 02:03 PM Reply

At 5/10/09 11:16 AM, STEM wrote: If I play the "bass guitar" patch on the subtractor, which was the first default patch that loaded, I couldn't play any chords,

That's not a bug, that's a feature.

A monosynth is a synth that can only play one note at a time, although the subtractor is capable of polyphonic synthesis, there are artistic reasons as to why you would want only one note to be active at any one time.

For example, portamento (sliding between notes) is only truely possible on a monosynth - on a polysynth, how would the synth know what note you wanted to slide? Also, you'll notice a switch on the subtractor for Legato and ReTrig modes - these features only work with monosynth. On legato mode, the attack/decay/sustain/release envelope applies to all connected (next door) notes, while on retrig mode, each individual note is shaped by ADSR.

You can override this by turning up the polyphony value on whatever patch it is you're using, but be aware it may make the patch behave a lot differently.

STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread May. 10th, 2009 @ 02:11 PM Reply

Thanks for pointing that out, now I understand :)

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to The Reason Thread May. 10th, 2009 @ 02:47 PM Reply

Did you guys hear about this?

There's a countdown thing on the Propellerheads site and they're complaining about it in the forums, so I guess it's real. I don't care too much for it... unless it's controlled by a WiiMote. Then they've got me for sure

STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread May. 10th, 2009 @ 03:00 PM Reply

Another noob question. So I've been having fun with the NN-19 digital sampler, threw on the RhodesMK1Mute patch and liked how it sounded, but only when I pressed on the damper pedal to draw out the sounds, instead of making them end sharply. I noticed that I can't record the damper sound, I guess I need to add in a device to create that effect. What's the best way to go about this?

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread May. 10th, 2009 @ 03:39 PM Reply

Nevermind, I think I came across it. It seems the R switch in the Filter and Amp categories gave me the sustain/damper I was looking for, in the NN-19. I assume that stands for Release

The Reason Thread

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
Nekoprism
Nekoprism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread May. 10th, 2009 @ 04:51 PM Reply

At 5/10/09 02:47 PM, SBB wrote: Did you guys hear about this?

There's a countdown thing on the Propellerheads site and they're complaining about it in the forums, so I guess it's real. I don't care too much for it... unless it's controlled by a WiiMote. Then they've got me for sure

What is it suppose to be anyway? A complement? A replacement?

BBS Signature
Khuskan
Khuskan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread May. 10th, 2009 @ 05:58 PM Reply

At 5/10/09 04:51 PM, Nekoprism wrote:
At 5/10/09 02:47 PM, SBB wrote: Did you guys hear about this?

What is it suppose to be anyway? A complement? A replacement?

Propellerheads are releaseing a new tool, Record. The countdown is when the features will be revealed - It's expected to be some way of implementing live recorded audio into reason effectively. Combining Reason with Record would equate a full DAW, supposedly.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to The Reason Thread May. 11th, 2009 @ 02:01 AM Reply

A video of the conference: http://www.musotalk.de/software/video/ar ticle/propellerhead-record-review/

tldw: it's a standalone app, basically an audio recorder and editor, looks very intuitive for Reason users because everything's still in a virtual rack. Reason users can use all devices in Reason with Record, and Line 6 users can use the PODfarm/GearBox etc devices in the rack as well. Real time timestretching allows you to adjust tempo even after recording audio (dunno about the quality, it sounds great in the video). That's pretty much what I saw, I'm sure more of it will be revealed in four hours

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to The Reason Thread May. 11th, 2009 @ 03:58 PM Reply

i cant say that im all too stoked for the Record-software Propellerheads is realeasing.. the price tag for what you get seem to be a little too much IMO.
THen again, it's directed to actual musicians, and not people who's main interest is the actual technology and engineering behind it, so i might be somewhat outside the target group here... but then again, i have cubase if i wanna record something. thjough one of the reasons i still use Reason, IS actually that it's so damn easy and fast to use, compared with just cubase, so i dunno, maybe this Record-thing is'nt all too bad...

i'll definitley check out the demo when it's out.
however, it doesnt seem to have VST-support, which as always can be both a pro and a con. with an actual recording software, i'd see that more as a con, but then again, who knows...

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread May. 11th, 2009 @ 06:55 PM Reply

What is the benefit to routing an effect device as an inline effect, over just hooking it up as an auxiliary? Just personal taste?

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
Nekoprism
Nekoprism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread May. 11th, 2009 @ 07:21 PM Reply

I'm not getting it... I wouldn't have anything to record live... =P

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to The Reason Thread May. 23rd, 2010 @ 06:58 PM Reply

Something's up at the Propellerhead.se website...

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to The Reason Thread May. 23rd, 2010 @ 07:05 PM Reply

At 5/23/10 06:58 PM, SBB wrote: Something's up at the Propellerhead.se website...

wut could it be111!!

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to The Reason Thread May. 23rd, 2010 @ 07:06 PM Reply

A countdown...

of five

fucking

days

Boss
Boss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to The Reason Thread Aug. 2nd, 2010 @ 01:24 AM Reply

I don't know if this problem came up before, but I'm using reason, 5 I think, and the first device and track I make works fine, but all of the tracks and devices after that first one, are mute.

I'm an instigator

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to The Reason Thread Aug. 2nd, 2010 @ 06:21 AM Reply

At 8/2/10 01:24 AM, Boss wrote: I don't know if this problem came up before, but I'm using reason, 5 I think, and the first device and track I make works fine, but all of the tracks and devices after that first one, are mute.

make a 14:2 mixer before anything else

Boss
Boss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to The Reason Thread Aug. 2nd, 2010 @ 02:07 PM Reply

At 8/2/10 06:21 AM, SBB wrote:
At 8/2/10 01:24 AM, Boss wrote: I don't know if this problem came up before, but I'm using reason, 5 I think, and the first device and track I make works fine, but all of the tracks and devices after that first one, are mute.
make a 14:2 mixer before anything else

Thanks! Sorry I'm not great with music programs, most people probably could've figured that out lol

I'm an instigator

BBS Signature
TimeBender
TimeBender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Aug. 2nd, 2010 @ 02:50 PM Reply

Does sampling in reason 5 mean you can directly record audio into the playlist or does that only mean you can sample notes n drums hits n whatnot?

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to The Reason Thread Aug. 2nd, 2010 @ 03:46 PM Reply

At 8/2/10 02:07 PM, Boss wrote:
Thanks! Sorry I'm not great with music programs, most people probably could've figured that out lol

uhhh, i'm sure most people have never used a mixer before. don't worry man. i've had the program for years and i'm still figuring things out. it's not you it's the tech :)

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to The Reason Thread Aug. 2nd, 2010 @ 03:50 PM Reply

At 8/2/10 02:50 PM, TimeBender wrote: Does sampling in reason 5 mean you can directly record audio into the playlist or does that only mean you can sample notes n drums hits n whatnot?

What playlist, do you mean the sequencer or something, because then no. This video shows it off pretty well

TimeBender
TimeBender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Aug. 2nd, 2010 @ 04:03 PM Reply

At 8/2/10 03:50 PM, SBB wrote:
At 8/2/10 02:50 PM, TimeBender wrote: Does sampling in reason 5 mean you can directly record audio into the playlist or does that only mean you can sample notes n drums hits n whatnot?
What playlist, do you mean the sequencer or something, because then no. This video shows it off pretty well

sorry its just fl studio talk yeah well thats disappointing but i guess rewiring to record would solve that if its possible

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to The Reason Thread Aug. 2nd, 2010 @ 04:11 PM Reply

At 8/2/10 04:03 PM, TimeBender wrote:
At 8/2/10 03:50 PM, SBB wrote:
sorry its just fl studio talk yeah well thats disappointing but i guess rewiring to record would solve that if its possible

If you have Record and Reason you don't have to use rewire since Record will have everything Reason has (it can open and edit .rns files)

TimeBender
TimeBender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Aug. 2nd, 2010 @ 04:18 PM Reply

At 8/2/10 04:11 PM, SBB wrote:
If you have Record and Reason you don't have to use rewire since Record will have everything Reason has (it can open and edit .rns files)

Awesome, i might switch from fl studio. Once I get a job and can afford it though

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to The Reason Thread Aug. 4th, 2010 @ 02:33 PM Reply

Alright, I got a toughie here for all you reason vets. This has been bugging me for a while now...

Sometimes, I walk away from my computer and forget to turn off the sequencer only to return a little latter and find the clock still counting. If I forgot to turn off the sequencer before it hit 9:99:99:99 would my computer explode?

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to The Reason Thread Aug. 4th, 2010 @ 02:38 PM Reply

Wait never mind; new question. I just realized that the bar counter would probably max out first. Same question as before...

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to The Reason Thread Aug. 4th, 2010 @ 02:41 PM Reply

Shit, paradox fail. It was the same question but for a different clock. Triple posting is embarrassing so I'll try out a real question. Is reason 5 gonna be backwards compatible with old rsn files? I don't see why it wouldn't be but I shit myself last night when I thought about that. I know some programs have problems with backwards compatibility...

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to The Reason Thread Aug. 4th, 2010 @ 03:01 PM Reply

At 8/4/10 02:33 PM, Quarl wrote: Alright, I got a toughie here for all you reason vets. This has been bugging me for a while now...

Sometimes, I walk away from my computer and forget to turn off the sequencer only to return a little latter and find the clock still counting. If I forgot to turn off the sequencer before it hit 9:99:99:99 would my computer explode?

No it would not

I couldn't get the playhead beyond bar 23302. When I pressed play it didn't do anything. No crashing or exploding though. Things start to get buggy after bar 9999: the numerical bar only shows the 4 last numbers and if you try to adjust it the playhead will snap back to bar 9999.

At 8/4/10 02:41 PM, Quarl wrote: Shit, paradox fail. It was the same question but for a different clock. Triple posting is embarrassing so I'll try out a real question. Is reason 5 gonna be backwards compatible with old rsn files? I don't see why it wouldn't be but I shit myself last night when I thought about that. I know some programs have problems with backwards compatibility...

Of course it's compatible

nicoga3000
nicoga3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Jan. 25th, 2011 @ 10:23 AM Reply

Necro postin. I just got a copy of Reason not long ago and just started using it. Reason 5 = win. So with that said, who wants to help send some protips and good resource pages for noobies like me? :)

Tome89
Tome89
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Apr. 3rd, 2011 @ 01:04 PM Reply

Okay, in order to avoid the obvious "post it in the Reason thread" reply, I've decided not to create a new thread for this:

Would anyone teach me how to compress properly in Reason? I have Reason 5 + Record 1.5.
This relates mostly to synth drums which I sample internally, but it really applies to any sound with an instant attack and quick falloff. I'm clueless as to how to get a satisfying amplitude curve, and I'm under the impression that there's something embarrassingly simple that just consistently slips my mind.

I've even made a shitty picture to demonstrate the problem:

The Reason Thread

At least this signature is not obsolete.

BBS Signature
merlin
merlin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to The Reason Thread Apr. 3rd, 2011 @ 01:29 PM Reply

At 4/3/11 01:04 PM, Tome89 wrote: Okay, in order to avoid the obvious "post it in the Reason thread" reply, I've decided not to create a new thread for this:

Would anyone teach me how to compress properly in Reason? I have Reason 5 + Record 1.5.
This relates mostly to synth drums which I sample internally, but it really applies to any sound with an instant attack and quick falloff. I'm clueless as to how to get a satisfying amplitude curve, and I'm under the impression that there's something embarrassingly simple that just consistently slips my mind.

I've even made a shitty picture to demonstrate the problem:

When you say sampling internally, are you referring to the redrum, or are you placing the drum samples in the nnxt or 19 and assigning them to notes? If you're just talking redrum, I have a couple suggestions.

1. There's not a ton of great drum samples in the default pack. So the problem you may be having is not having a quality sample to start with.

2. Try running TWO kicks at once, possibly side-chaining them. In a few songs I've even run 3 kicks as my primary kick, to get that full bassy, punchy, and sharp sound I was looking for.

3. (still assuming you're using the redrum) did you try turning the length knob up for the drum? If you're uploading a preset kit, then replacing a snair or kick, it will still have the default setting of the original kit you opened, and apply those adjustments to your new selection.

4. What I do for my redrum is create a combinator, then a mixer, then a redrum, and add 8 different master equalizers, and 8 compressors, and re wire them to each output channel from my redrum back into my mixer (still in the combinator) It gives you full control over every drum sample and the effects they have. If I remember, I'll post up a picture when I get home (at work right now).

Hope this helps.

BBS Signature