Be a Supporter!

The Reason Thread

  • 21,636 Views
  • 379 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
tedJohnston
tedJohnston
  • Member since: Apr. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
The Reason Thread Jul. 12th, 2005 @ 06:36 PM Reply

Alright, i see threads dedicated to Acid and Fruity Loops, but none for Reason. so this is the thread for all things Reason. heck, we should go all out and make Cubase and Logic threads hahaha (but i'll leave that to the users of those progs).

for all those who are interested in Propellerhead Reason, go to the Propellerhead website and watch the Reason 3.0 trailer. all audio (yes, not just music...audio) in the trailer was made on Reason, so it'll give you an idea of what Reason is capable of.

Propellerhead

for all Reason users (however few of us there are...), welcome to your home on the Audio Forum ^_-

that is all. cheers an g'day folks.

-Ted Johnston

Senti
Senti
  • Member since: Dec. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 12th, 2005 @ 07:08 PM Reply

<3 REASON. I havn't gotten around to buying 3.0 yet, but I am content with what I have now.

I don't know why anyone would want to make music with anything else than this? I is simply unbeatable in awesomeness. Definitly one of my favorite programs to compose and sequence with. Unfortunatly, I havn't used it in forever. Regardless, I will frequent this thread when I can.


BBS Signature
wan-tan-soup14
wan-tan-soup14
  • Member since: Mar. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 12th, 2005 @ 07:14 PM Reply

I actually think Acid is the greatest....sorry to be rude.


my account password is

meatloaf1

Johnny-Beat
Johnny-Beat
  • Member since: May. 4, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 12th, 2005 @ 07:19 PM Reply

acid?!?!
...
acid?!?!?!?!!
...
nothing compared to reason brah..

cmacs
cmacs
  • Member since: Jun. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 12th, 2005 @ 08:34 PM Reply

oh wow.. i've tried REASON trial version and oh my god it looks so craazy.. but at the same time its SO COMPLEX.. i cant even get the play button to play their samples >=|.. maybe i'll give it another go.. if i have more trial time that is.. hehe.. but indeed.. Reason is very awesome.. i think ParagonX9 uses it..

B0UNC3
B0UNC3
  • Member since: Jan. 4, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 07
Musician
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 12th, 2005 @ 08:51 PM Reply

At 7/12/05 08:34 PM, cmacs wrote: Reason is very awesome.. i think ParagonX9 uses it..

Yup...no biggie.Reason is good but it's not my type....It's the same as some like blondes and some like ebonies ;)


CenterWall | Soundcloud | Facebook | Twitter

LJCoffee
LJCoffee
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 12th, 2005 @ 09:21 PM Reply

At 7/12/05 08:51 PM, B0UNC3 wrote: Yup...no biggie.Reason is good but it's not my type....It's the same as some like blondes and some like ebonies ;)

What about those of us who are into redheads? ... I guess we're the ones diggin' AcidPro

:D

Sseriously, I've been talkin about getting a copy for a few weeks now. I'm planning on picking one up as soon as I have the expendable cash. As soon as I'm able I'll hook up Reason and Acid via rewire and see what happens.

I've seen the demo - was fairly impressed with it.


BBS Signature
tedJohnston
tedJohnston
  • Member since: Apr. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 13th, 2005 @ 01:46 AM Reply

to all those people who are like, "eh...Reason's not my type."

what...it's not your type just because you haven't figured out how to use it? i'm not making fun of you guys 'cause i used to think the exact same thing...but then i actually tried the demo longer than a couple days and realized how awesome the program was...and this was back in the 2.5 days hahaha.

anyways, to all you people going, "Reason kicks all ass dude!!!" or, "Acid is da best!!!"...it's really way more about the musician than the program. once you've gained a certain amount of skill and as long as the program is decent, the possibilities are endless...it would be more productive to use multiple programs together, instead of arguing over which is better. i didn't start this thread to spark a big Reason vs. Acid/FL war, so please take that somewhere else. anyways, once i've gotten pretty good at Reason, i'm thinking i'm going use it with Cubase...yes, such audio adventures...

that is all. cheers an g'day people.

-Ted Johnston

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 10
Artist
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 13th, 2005 @ 02:01 AM Reply

I hate arguing, because it achieves nothing, but you continue to dig yourself a deeper and deeper hole.

Maybe the people who say Reason isn't for them actually mean it? Don't immediately assume that they're aren't as profficient with the program as you are, it may simply not be suited to their taste.

Seriously man, you speak alot of crap.

LJCoffee
LJCoffee
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 13th, 2005 @ 02:13 AM Reply

At 7/13/05 01:46 AM, TedJohnston wrote: to all those people who are like, "eh...Reason's not my type."

Dude... wtf!?? Are you out of your mind? Have you ever heard any of b0unc3's music?

Go listen THEN try telling me he doesn't know what he's doing...

maybe it's not his thing "just because"

Listen - Reason looked pretty decent - anough to make me want a copy but STOP touting it like it's the end all be all of the music world. - Yes, Reason is good, but don't crap on everything else.

as I've said before:
In the hands of a true artist, a brick is an effective as the finest brush.


BBS Signature
Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Member since: Oct. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 13th, 2005 @ 12:55 PM Reply

Reason has like all other programs pro´s and con´s.

My own background with reason; I started making music in fasttracker2, a dude I met in the warcraft3 chat told me bout reason. I got reason, and thought everything was easy, actually. Im no genious, but compared with the DOS-based fasttracker2 version i had been trackin on, reason was a real piece o cake. So, to begin with, reason is easy, i´d say. It´s a "closed" prog. as well (no vst plugins avaliable here grrr), that actually is both good and bad;

Pro´s reason; good soundbanks, you get good basic qual with reason. The fact that reason does not have a vst plugin option, is on the pro-side the fact that u gotta deal with whatever options are available. If things dont sound good, its ur own fault, ur the one who lacks skills. Ive heard songs by pro´s working in reason, it sounds - -well, proffessional (thats what they get payed for, of course...but reason IS good!).
Point is, that Reason is a very good program, profesionally good, i´d say even. So, there´s allways comparing the "lowbudget" programs, but i cant do that, since i only worked in 3 programs in a total. So far.

Con´s then; No VST damnit! This is sometimes a lil irritating, but u can get around this problem by getting Cubase and slave reason in cubase. This aint that difficult, but u get no visual of the track(s) u get from reason. If it sux, just export the damn wav from reason n add it into cubase... Anyway, thing is that ur not 100% locked down with reason not having vst options. The cubase solution is btw probably just Steinberg (who owns propellerhead) who want to make some extra cash. cant really blame em...

This is me NOT comparing reason to FL or anything else, just my open opinion. I think reason has alot to offer.
Now i forgot where i was goin with this reply, so ill just post it, n well see if anyone thinks im a lil dizzy or so?

/Rucklo


Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

SpamWarrior
SpamWarrior
  • Member since: Feb. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 13th, 2005 @ 01:22 PM Reply

Ye wan_tan - us acidheads best stay outta this thread til we got somethin relevant to say. And seriously check out the demo's on the reason website, i was enthralled.

All comes down to what sound you wanna make, reason seems more synth based from what i've heard, where acid is more wav based, tho i could be completely wrong.

Nothing bad about those differences, they're just different

And as mr coffee says, stop being elitist anyone who argues over which, and i say stop blabbering about which is best and SHOW us instead of telling us. That goes to every elitist.

I'm now outta this thread, its not my home :) might be whenever i get my hands on a copy :)

tedJohnston
tedJohnston
  • Member since: Apr. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 13th, 2005 @ 03:03 PM Reply

At 7/13/05 12:55 PM, Rucklo wrote: Reason has like all other programs pro´s and con´s.

this sentence pretty much summed up my post in one statement.

sheesh people, if you're going to directy refer to what someone said at least read their whole post. if you guys read past the first sentence of my post, then you would see that i said all programs are fairly equal and that it is just up to the artist to use his imagination (which is pretty much agreeing with your brick and brush statement ljcoffee). i already said that i didn't want to start a big argument, but if argue is what you want to do then at least read my whole post before you start shitting on it.

ljcoffee, i know you're a decent guy...i just think you were unfair in your reply this time.

jarrydn, you say you don't want to argue but that's basically all you do. the moment my name shows up next to a post, you take it personal. just drop it dude.

good day people.

tedJohnston
tedJohnston
  • Member since: Apr. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 13th, 2005 @ 03:22 PM Reply

okay, back on topic here...

At 7/13/05 12:55 PM, Rucklo wrote: Con´s then; No VST damnit!

to expand on Reason, you need Refills and good 'ol SoundFonts...i haven't used other programs, so i don't know what VSTs are, but i'm guessing VSTs are to Acid what Refills are to Reason. there are plenty of awesome free third-party Refills out there, and there are also tons of good Refills you can buy. just look around!

and SoundFonts...heh, old news. but for those Reason users who didn't know SoundFonts worked in Reason (i actually didn't for a long time hahaha), just load up your SoundFont into the NN-XT Advanced Sampler and you're good to go! you can also take the individual samples in your SoundFont and load them into either the NN-XT or NN-19 samplers and make your own custom patches. the possibilities are endless! again, just look around heh heh...

that is all. cheers an g'day.

-Ted Johnston

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Member since: Oct. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 13th, 2005 @ 07:28 PM Reply

At 7/13/05 03:03 PM, TedJohnston wrote:
At 7/13/05 12:55 PM, Rucklo wrote: Reason has like all other programs pro´s and con´s.
this sentence pretty much summed up my post in one statement.

sheesh people, if you're going to directy refer to what someone said at least read their whole post. if you guys read past the first sentence of my post, then you would see that i said all programs are fairly equal and that it is just up to the artist to use his imagination (which is pretty much agreeing with your brick and brush statement ljcoffee). i already said that i didn't want to start a big argument, but if argue is what you want to do then at least read my whole post before you start shitting on it.

ljcoffee, i know you're a decent guy...i just think you were unfair in your reply this time.

jarrydn, you say you don't want to argue but that's basically all you do. the moment my name shows up next to a post, you take it personal. just drop it dude.

good day people.

Well mate, did u read anything else of my post than that quote? I wasnt arguing at all, i was simply stating stuff. If this is the Reason thread, that means i can yab about reason´s pros n cons as much as i want, right? And if noone cares, then oki, I spent some time for nothing. And if the post was irrelevant, well leave it, no replies = noone notice.

That short quote u quoted from my post, however DOES sum up your post. Perhaps U should have wrote those few words instead of writing a long post urself :D hihi.

/Rucklo


Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Member since: Oct. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 13th, 2005 @ 07:40 PM Reply

At 7/13/05 03:22 PM, TedJohnston wrote: okay, back on topic here...

At 7/13/05 12:55 PM, Rucklo wrote: Con´s then; No VST damnit!
to expand on Reason, you need Refills and good 'ol SoundFonts...i haven't used other programs, so i don't know what VSTs are, but i'm guessing VSTs are to Acid what Refills are to Reason. there are plenty of awesome free third-party Refills out there, and there are also tons of good Refills you can buy. just look around!

Goddamnit, sorry for double posting here, I totally forgot to reply to this.
VST are not refills, in refills for reason u get sound samples and set synths and loops and stuf like that.
You might compare each rack a "VST", not true, but kindof. If you, for example, in Cubase want to add reverb and distortion to a freshly recorded guitar riff, the reverb and dist will be added as VST. Thing is, that u can find LOTS of fun VST´s around, while in reason ur stuck with what´s in there (malström synth, the samplers, the effects and so on). Nothing else can be added, unless u "go around" the problem as i described in my first post in this thread (slave reason in cubase, or simply export one channel at a time). I don´t know EXACTLY what VST is, but thats how u use em n shit.

About that soundfont thingy, I gotta check that out one day or another. I have mainly been concentrating in learning the synthezisers and effects, and only been using the samplers very basicly. But perhaps i one day want to learn bout them samplemachines more, then ill look for this thread again.

/Rucklo


Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

tedJohnston
tedJohnston
  • Member since: Apr. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 13th, 2005 @ 08:48 PM Reply

At 7/13/05 07:28 PM, Rucklo wrote: Well mate, did u read anything else of my post than that quote? I wasnt arguing at all, i was simply stating stuff.

i actually wasn't talking to you at all...i was just using what you said to illustrate my point.

At 7/13/05 07:40 PM, Rucklo wrote: You might compare each rack a "VST", not true, but kindof.

...while in reason ur stuck with what´s in there (malström synth, the samplers, the effects and so on)...

ahh...now i understand what VSTs are.

i can understand your frustration with not being able to expand on the devices in Reason, but in my opinion, you don't need to. the devices in Reason themselves are already so synthesizer driven that it's possible to synthetically come up with any sound you want to. the sampling devices are just there to suppliment the synths (although, i'm usually so n00by that i end up using mostly sampled sounds over synths XD). i think this is where Reason differs from most other programs, Reason is heavily synth based while other programs are more heavily sample/loop based (i could be wrong though...).

such audio adventures...cheers an g'day.

-Ted Johnston

LJCoffee
LJCoffee
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 14th, 2005 @ 01:23 AM Reply

At 7/13/05 03:03 PM, TedJohnston wrote: ljcoffee, i know you're a decent guy...i just think you were unfair in your reply this time.

Well I'm glad I've got you fooled... heheh

I'm sorry man - I was just defending b0unc3 a little - not that he needs it...

This really is a great piece of software. (using Reason demo) It could have a few more features but I'm VERY impressed with it so far. Now if only a bag of money would show up at my door...


BBS Signature
AdmiralConquistador
AdmiralConquistador
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 14th, 2005 @ 02:14 AM Reply

I'm VERY happy with my copy of Reason. My latest songs have been sounding more and more professional with less effort than it took me on FL Studio. However, I've found that using Reason alone is not as effective as me rewiring it to FL Studio, using the power of Fl Studio and Reason together. This allows me to use VST's and the super powerful synthesizer and sample library Reason has to offer, plus the powerful synthesizers in FL studio, and the sequencer in FL studio, which I am a bit fond of. Reason by itself is a wonderful program though, especially 3.0 with all the new things such as the combinator and MClass, which help immensely. 3.5 just needs to add VST support and I think I'll use it alone without Rewire. Great program, thumbs up from me

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 10
Artist
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 14th, 2005 @ 12:56 PM Reply

I don't fell that I have the need to apologise for anything i've said.

I find it funny how you tell me to 'drop it', but you don't defend yourself against any of the points I bring up in my arguments. Seriously, if you weren't an arrogant twat, then I couldn't give two shits about what you say, but when you come on here with your elitist attitude, and hang shit on everyone else because you assume they 'can't use reason' or whatever other verbal diareah that spews forth from your mouth, you absolutely deserve to be put in your place.

tedJohnston
tedJohnston
  • Member since: Apr. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 14th, 2005 @ 01:57 PM Reply

put in my place? lol, you're the only one bitching about anything...i just tell you to drop it because people are tired of hearing you constantly jabber at me about nothing.

i don't understand what you mean by an 'elitist attitude'. if you actually read anything i wrote passed the first two lines, then maybe i would listen to you...but as long you take everything completely out of context, then nothing you say really matters. oh...maybe the reason you're not reading my posts all the way is because my rhetoric is too difficult for you to read. i'm sorry, should i downgrade to third-grade vocabulary for you?

i used to be really ticked off by the crap you said to me, but now i'm laughing 'cause it's really stupid and pointless and you keep acting like a little todler by refusing to drop the subject. i predict your next post will have nothing but profanity in it and not actually say anything intelligent (as always).

that is all. cheers an g'day.

-Ted Johnston

AdmiralConquistador
AdmiralConquistador
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 14th, 2005 @ 04:47 PM Reply

I'm sorry to be the one to point this out, but this isn't the over-inflated ego bomb thread.

Ted, stooping to his level, or whatever it is you are doing(I haven't been following your feud so I don't really care who started it) isn't going to solve anything. And jarrdyn, you shouldn't be the vigilante against elitists. I don't really think he's an elitist, just a very proud supported of his software. He wants to spread the word about the greatness of reason, and why not? What if propellerheads is paying him? I mean he could be an undercover representative. He's probably just a very enthusiastic guy, but that doesn't mean you have to be so aggressive. HE DID say pretty much to each his own... if you read his post.

tedJohnston
tedJohnston
  • Member since: Apr. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 14th, 2005 @ 05:52 PM Reply

At 7/14/05 04:47 PM, AdmiralConquistador wrote: HE DID say pretty much to each his own... if you read his post.

thank you. i don't understand why people think i'm an 'elitist' or even 'enthusiastically supporting' Reason. actually, even what Admiral said isn't completely accurate...i said more along the lines of, "People should use multiple programs together instead of arguing over which is better." (which Admiral, you already do anyways hahaha).

anyways, this thread is for existing Reason users and people interested in Reason...not to patronize Reason...maybe that'll clear a few things up...

cheers an g'day.

-Ted Johnston

AdmiralConquistador
AdmiralConquistador
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 14th, 2005 @ 06:13 PM Reply

K.O!

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 10
Artist
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 15th, 2005 @ 10:04 AM Reply

You know what...maybe I should just give up.

I mean, i thought I knew everything, and that I was better than everyone else when I was 16, so maybe you'll just grow out of it ;D.

Oh, and VST>Reason ;)

SpamWarrior
SpamWarrior
  • Member since: Feb. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 15th, 2005 @ 10:22 AM Reply

Its not even my thread, but no offence to either of you, stop arguin like schoolgirls and MAKE SOME TRACKS. Are you musicians or not?

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 10
Artist
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 15th, 2005 @ 10:24 AM Reply

I love you ^_^

Hey, i'd write some new music...but i need to replace the pickup in my guitar first because it's sounding incredibly weedy, and not like Satan at all.

So all I can do is argue.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 10
Artist
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 15th, 2005 @ 10:30 AM Reply

Sorry for the double post...but just to make all concerned aware...

I read Ted's posts thoroughly, just to make sure I haven't accidentally missed something that isn't one of his pseudo-intellectual rantings.

And Ted, don't worry about dumbing down your writings to a third grade level, I'm earning a distinction in English at university, so I'm perfectly capable of understanding and following your logic when you use words over 4 sylables.

The reason I use teenage colloquialism is because I don't feel that it's neccesary for me to sound like im speaking oxford english all the time. That's the kind of thing that people do to 'sound' smart.

SpamWarrior
SpamWarrior
  • Member since: Feb. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 15th, 2005 @ 10:41 AM Reply

At 7/15/05 10:24 AM, jarrydn wrote: I love you ^_^

Hey, i'd write some new music...but i need to replace the pickup in my guitar first because it's sounding incredibly weedy, and not like Satan at all.

So all I can do is argue.

You can still write without using a guitar tho, write a bassline in synth or something.
I just get irritated when creative energy is wasted on something as pointless as this argument.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 10
Artist
Response to The Reason Thread Jul. 15th, 2005 @ 10:58 AM Reply

Arguments give rise to unholy bestial inspiration.

I've actually been working on an epic orchestral/operatic/classical piece. I got one of those Edirol PCR30 midi controllers at the beggining of the year, and it's just been sitting around collecting dust, so I've decided to teach myself to play piano...and I'm learning alot faster than I thought I would (although I've had a long history of teaching myself how to play instruments X-) ).

So yeah, I fired up Edirol Orchestral (great VSTi, everyone should have it)...and I've come up with some nice stuff so far. Chances are I'm going to turn it all around and add guitars, blastbeats, and cookie monster growls to it though :D.

As for synths and basslines...that stuff is fun...but I'm not too into the writing and performing side of the techno scene. I love listening to it, but I tend to get a little bored and annoyed when I get around to making some :P