New Topic Respond to this Topic
jobelow
jobelow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Art Vs. Entertainment Jul. 1st, 2005 @ 05:46 AM Reply

So there's art, and there's entertainment. Sometimes the two kind of cross, and we get popular art or artistic entertainment, but other times they are completely unrelated other than they use the same media.

Purely artistic flash without much entertainment value obviously doesn't do well in the portal, because the portal audience is looking for entertainment usually, unless an artist from a certain crew decides to post some art and has his crewbies mass vote it out of judgement. From an art perspective, this may not necessarily be a bad thing, as the mass voting itself could be seen as part of the piece. For instance (I'm not saying this particular piece was voted out of judgement and protected completely by mass voting, but if so it would be a perfect example, only the voters can know for sure), if an artist were to make a piece such as "B", a simple flash, devoid of temporal content or internal concept, and arrange for it to be protected, the piece of art would not be defined simply by the swf file entitled "B" alone, but the entire act of producing a flash called "B", submitting it to the portal, and having it voted into protection.

Another example is the work of Vidi Aconci, 1970s video artist. If presented in the concept of popular cinema, his pieces would be rejected vehemently, as they have next to no entertainment value. But when viewed as art, they are ingenius and enlightening pieces presenting poignant commentary on society, relationships, and even the very fabric of human existence in a universal context. For those of you who have never seen Aconci's work, prime examples include a twenty minute video of the artist attempting to pry a woman's eyes open, a "he said she said" story told between excrutiating climbs through a junk-filled room, and a platform first inhabited with model trees, then dinosaurs, then houses, then cars, each transition cut with a line from the artist behind camera such as "Stop! one. two. three. four... re-evaluate." and a hand changing the objects out.

My point here is that post-modern art is intended for a very specific audience, and flash is a wonderful, relatively new medium for post-modern art, a genre much unappreciated by the general populace, and I'd like to open a discussion on this point which will hopefully enlighten the unitiated and enhance their life experience by opening their horizons to new appreciation for alternative uses of popular media.

BrooklynBrett
BrooklynBrett
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Art Vs. Entertainment Jul. 1st, 2005 @ 05:47 AM Reply

Post modern art is intended for people who are pretentious and asinine enough to think that they're viewing art.

jobelow
jobelow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Art Vs. Entertainment Jul. 1st, 2005 @ 05:49 AM Reply

Not true. I'm too drunk to really convince you, just read some books and stop saying asinine unless you're calling yourself so.

Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Art Vs. Entertainment Jul. 1st, 2005 @ 06:22 AM Reply

not true, most the high rating stuff is more artistic..
take a look at the top50.
a good combination of art and entertainment will always score good!

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature
jobelow
jobelow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Art Vs. Entertainment Jul. 1st, 2005 @ 06:28 AM Reply

I agree that Art+Entertainment makes for a good score, because art is a hugely wonderful influence on entertainment.

However I disagree with your blanket "not true," because a piece intended as purely art outside of the realm of entertainment would be blammed in about twenty minutes on average without the assistance of mass-voting. If you could see some examples of what I'm trying to talk about, you'd understand why. I don't quite know exactly what I'm trying to do opening this discussion; I know it's not gonna change things on a pan-newgrounds level, but I'd like to hope some things said might enlighten the interested.

Bottom line, a flash on the level with Aconci's "pry" or John Cage's "4:33" would most certainly not pass judgement, regardless of its high degree of artistic merit.