New Topic Respond to this Topic
atomearthmother
atomearthmother
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
heavy metal/rock program? Jun. 26th, 2005 @ 10:19 AM Reply

most of the programs like ejay, magix and fruityloops have some guitar sounds, but they never sound like the real thing. i know garagebands a little better about it, but unfortunately that isnt available for the PC..

So does anyone know of any programs that exclusively make rock/metal loops?

SpamWarrior
SpamWarrior
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to heavy metal/rock program? Jun. 26th, 2005 @ 10:59 AM Reply

Not heard of one yet, someone else might have though. Best thing is to network. In your case, find a good metal guitarist and ask them for some sound samples.

NightMare5
NightMare5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to heavy metal/rock program? Jun. 26th, 2005 @ 02:29 PM Reply

Stienberg has a VST plugin called Virtual Guitarist "Electric Edition". But the best thing that i can think of is just to get some samples of guitars and use those.

jobelow
jobelow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to heavy metal/rock program? Jun. 27th, 2005 @ 04:07 AM Reply

There's not really a way to reproduce metal with a sampler-type program and have it sound anything like metal and be good. A bunch of us were struggling with this in the tracking scene about six years ago and I wrote this big textfile on how to make decent guitar samples and how to progressively filter them as you play them higher in pitch to mimic guitar string harmonics and all that, but it's really not worth the trouble.

So yeah, the best advice, like other people have said, is to get a guitarist to play some loops for you. Some long loops.

speedmetalmessiah
speedmetalmessiah
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to heavy metal/rock program? Jun. 27th, 2005 @ 04:09 AM Reply

I'm a guitarist and I might be able to help what kind of stuff are you looking for.

FlameMesial
FlameMesial
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to heavy metal/rock program? Jun. 27th, 2005 @ 05:16 PM Reply

Yeah get a drum program (perhaps Fruityloops or sometin) and get powertab at this link - http://www.power-tab.net/downloads.php . then on the program export the guitar sounds (midi) to a midi file, then encode it to wav or mp3 and find a way to mix it with the drums. It doesn't make that good a sound but it sounds ok.

GoreBastard
GoreBastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to heavy metal/rock program? Jun. 28th, 2005 @ 09:46 PM Reply

At 6/27/05 04:07 AM, jobelow wrote: So yeah, the best advice, like other people have said, is to get a guitarist to play some loops for you. Some long loops.

No, the best advice is for him to get off his fat lazy arse, and learn the guitar himself... (I'm just kiddin mate!)

I hate the sound of pre-made metal samples copied and pasted over and over to some shitty ready made drum beat. Nothing beats the real thing. In my opinion, if you use pre-made guitar riffs, then it isn't your song, unless you've told the guitarist which notes to play.

ElGhoulio
ElGhoulio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to heavy metal/rock program? Jun. 28th, 2005 @ 11:16 PM Reply

At 6/27/05 04:09 AM, speedmetalmessiah wrote: I'm a guitarist and I might be able to help what kind of stuff are you looking for.

Same here, boy.

You can't spell subtext without buttsex. | I control Psycryptik | Psycryptik controls your mind

BBS Signature