00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

sereneFalconer just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Animation Tips please

891 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Animation Tips please 2002-07-29 22:19:07

Movies like XiaoXiao's stick movies and other peoples great animations, how is this done?
i figured out that i could basically draw it all, frame by frame.. BUT its horribly SLOW and not smooth.
like in steven sagals series (go to Feature>Series>Steven Sagal) the arm movement is great, the legs moving is very smooth.
How is this done?
Thanks

Animation Tips please

Response to Animation Tips please 2002-07-29 22:23:36

Do you import gifs or pictures and move them around?

Response to Animation Tips please 2002-07-30 02:06:28

At 7/29/02 10:23 PM, HanShim wrote: Do you import gifs or pictures and move them around?

ooh, i just thought of some stuff to say.
for one, use the onion skinning option. it shows all the stuff you have on the previous and next frames in the work area... i'm not gonna explain, you see for yourself. check out the pic i've included with this post. hmm... oh yeah, and goto Modify > Document, and set the Frame Rate to something high like 18 or 20, maybe even a little higher. this'll make your animation run smoother and faster.
note* - i'm using flash mx.

Animation Tips please

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Tips please 2002-07-30 02:18:36

At 7/29/02 10:23 PM, HanShim wrote: Do you import gifs or pictures and move them around?

NO! what planet were you from?? flash has something called SYMBOLS. you draw something, and convert it to a symbol inside flash, so then it can keep it's vector qualties. then you edit the center so that when you rotate the symbol, it rotates properly around the joint of the limb.

Response to Animation Tips please 2002-07-30 18:44:51

NO! what planet were you from?? flash has something called SYMBOLS. you draw something, and convert it to a symbol inside flash, so then it can keep it's vector qualties. then you edit the center so that when you rotate the symbol, it rotates properly around the joint of the limb.

how do you edit the center?? I've tried to figure that out, but i can't find where to do it....and its frustrating because when i animate arms and legs, im rotating around the default center then nudging them into place. And alot of times, after I tween, it doesn't look natural.

Response to Animation Tips please 2002-07-30 19:13:57

I'm using FlashMX too =)
I've tried creating a symbol with my hand drawn stuff, but i cant seem to edit them after its converted.
Can i get a sample .fla movie (not .swf, coz it cant be edited) just so i can learn?

Response to Animation Tips please 2002-07-30 23:53:21

At 7/30/02 07:13 PM, HanShim wrote: I'm using FlashMX too =)
I've tried creating a symbol with my hand drawn stuff, but i cant seem to edit them after its converted.
Can i get a sample .fla movie (not .swf, coz it cant be edited) just so i can learn?

if you're talking to me,
just double click the symbol you've created, it should take you into the symbol and you can edit it. either that, or right-click it and select Edit or Edit in Place or whatever option's there.
as for the sample .fla, sorry... but i don't exactly know how you'd learn from a .fla on animation. it's mainly a matter of your artistic skills, and certain options in flash. if you want just a .fla containing some already done frame-by-frame animation or whatever, someone else may be nice enough to give ya one... either that, or goto flashkit.com, go to the movies section, and search for animation or something. you should get tons of results, and you can download the .fla for each and every one.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Tips please 2002-07-31 02:31:36

Thanks for that, but hey, just say:
eg:
i have a guy.
he has arms and legs.
how do i move these arms and legs without looking choppy??

PLEASE ANYONE WITH A SAMPLE .FLA... =)

Response to Animation Tips please 2002-08-02 20:35:37

As you may or may not have noticed, Only a limited amount of Tween animations can be on screen at once, or else serious lock up. Therefore you are stuck with a problem, I want smooth animation, yet easy and fast. Here is my tip.
This is going to have to be frame by frame, and in order for it to look good it will have to be animators speed (24 fps). Simply draw each limb at different views, i.e. face left, right, forward, etc. And make them all sybols, that way just drag and drop whenever you need a limb. Watch Steven Seagal Ep: III one more time, this time on the light saber fight, pause it and play manually, you can tell he used this trick, frame by frame and symbol limbs, and it looks GREAT.
Hope this helps.