Be a Supporter!

Should The Us Reinstate The Draft?

  • 1,557 Views
  • 50 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
weather-seed
weather-seed
  • Member since: Feb. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 10th, 2007 @ 06:53 PM Reply

A draft, if America were ever to reinstate it, should only have a mandatory service time of three years and pay a portion of any draftee's tuition at any university. Then again, America should only reinstate the draft if another world war breaks out, which we'd all be dead at the end of anyway.

Proteas
Proteas
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 10th, 2007 @ 07:46 PM Reply

At 1/10/07 06:43 PM, skaezzy05 wrote: so if the people with the most money and power didn't want their children to go to iraq, then most of the supporters of the war and george bush would change sides, and they would oppose the war. like many of us do.

The people with the most money and power can, will, and have found ways of keeping their offspring from being sent into direct combat during times of war, even when a draft was on. The only thing reinstating the draft would accomplish is political suicide for the person who managed to get it started again.

Personally, I find it hypocritical that the democrats - who are staunchly AGAINST the war - would even suggest reinstating the draft, much less supporting their own version of President Bush's plan to beef up troop numbers in Iraq. But, such is the nature of a politician... write your campaign promises on an etch-a-sketch, and conveinently shake the little bastard the moment you get into office.


BBS Signature
SmilezRoyale
SmilezRoyale
  • Member since: Oct. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 10th, 2007 @ 07:50 PM Reply

We dont need a draft, modern military tactics dont require waves of expendable troops, we have special targeting explosives for heavy destruction work.

The united states military doesn't want to have to worry about 50,000+ adult males most of which are [according to health officals] are under-active and unhealthy, who would have to undergo years of training to get to the status of the navy, armed forces, marines, etc.

besides, unless a superpowerfull army popped out of thin air, no congressional offical could get away with even mentioning the draft without loosing all of his popularity.


On a moving train there are no centrists, only radicals and reactionaries.

Imperator
Imperator
  • Member since: Oct. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 10th, 2007 @ 07:55 PM Reply

At 6/21/05 11:59 PM, Agent-Noodles wrote: If they do reinstate the draft.....

I'm movin to Canada!

You may call me a coward but when it comes to time where I'm still alive and your not. We will see who is happier.

The Greeks have a saying, a man's happiness is due to whether or not he dies well.......

Read up on your Herodotus, and take a look at Solon and Croesus.....

Basically, it comes down to a question I find telling of people:

Painful life, or peaceful death?

Your choice.


Writing Forum Reviewer.
PM me
for preferential Writing Forum review treatment.
See my NG page for a regularly updated list of works I will review.

Memorize
Memorize
  • Member since: Jun. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Animator
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 10th, 2007 @ 09:06 PM Reply

At 1/10/07 07:46 PM, Proteas wrote:
Personally, I find it hypocritical that the democrats - who are staunchly AGAINST the war - would even suggest reinstating the draft, much less supporting their own version of President Bush's plan to beef up troop numbers in Iraq.

The draft. Used by every war-time democrat president. Only to be protested against by... democrats.

YHWH
YHWH
  • Member since: Apr. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 10th, 2007 @ 09:15 PM Reply

This is the only non-libertarian thing about me. The one thing I can't agree with the LP on, or almost any other party for that matter.

I don't believe we should have a draft, but compulsory military (or civil) service. The perfect way to pay back to your country, an excellent experience for a career later in life, and it keeps America safe. Having every person trained with a weapon will keep anyone from thinking about reaching our soil .Though, I would only support 18-24 month duties, and most probably without any hardship posts.


The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars. But in ourselves, that we are underlings

Togukawa
Togukawa
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 11th, 2007 @ 04:49 AM Reply

At 1/10/07 07:55 PM, Imperator wrote: The Greeks have a saying, a man's happiness is due to whether or not he dies well.......

Read up on your Herodotus, and take a look at Solon and Croesus.....

Basically, it comes down to a question I find telling of people:

Painful life, or peaceful death?

Your choice.

I could have sworn I stole this quote from someone, but google doesn't give anything. I'd answer with: anticipation of death is far worse than death itself.

Peaceful death might look promising, but everything before death is a hell if you don't believe in the cause you're fighting for. Besides, if you dodge a draft because you don't believe in a war, instead of because of sheer cowardice, then you probably won't have moral qualms or a painful life because of it.

Dying for what you believe in could be considered a meaningful death (not the death itself is meaningful, but death is the price you're willing to pay for what you've accomplished).

As for the US instating the draft, I'm not an american :)

Benovere
Benovere
  • Member since: Jul. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 11th, 2007 @ 05:09 AM Reply

My reason for disliking the draft is as follows:
People who dont want to fight will fight those who force them to fight.


-Lost Signature-
If found, please call 555-1212 to claim your prize. disclaimer - prizes may cause fatigue, bad breath, erectile dysfunction, tax audit, or anal bleeding.

BBS Signature
TheMason
TheMason
  • Member since: Dec. 26, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 11th, 2007 @ 11:26 AM Reply

At 6/21/05 09:24 AM, GorillaUnit485 wrote: It WOULD be political suicide. They couldn't seriously reinstate the draft could they?

I mean honestly, seems to me like there would be NO supporters of it at all, and if Bush tries it...aren't his approval ratings in the high 40's right now? That would just crush him.

Just to remind you: it isn't Bush who wants the draft. The people agitating for the draft are in the extremes of the Democratic party. Democrat Representative Charles Rangall (the Chairman of the House Ways & Means committee) is the one pushing for the draft. He authored the 2004 House bill that would have authorizied the draft. In the Senate I believe it was Democratic Senator Fritz Hollings who submitted one in the Senate.

Even though Bush has ALWAYS said that a Draft is not being discussed and he would not reinstated it; the existence of both of those bills were used against him in 2004 by anti-war protestors. So if you've been told Bush wants the draft you've been lied to and I suggest you wake up and start thinking for yourself about what is going on in the world and critically look at what you've been told about it.

The reason for the draft isn't military since we do not want it. It has always been a liberal social engineering experiment. Rangall sees that 24% of the military is made-up of afro-americans, yet they only make-up 12% of the country. He thinks that this means young blacks will make up a disproportionate number of the battlefield casualties. However, combat units tend to reflect the ethnic make-up of the country. A majority of blacks tend to enter the military to seek non-combat related jobs that can be used on the outside to lift themselves up out of a poor economic and jobs future.

Free your mind!


Debunking conspiracy theories for the New World Order since 1995...
" I hereby accuse you attempting to silence me..." --PurePress

BBS Signature
Apollo
Apollo
  • Member since: Feb. 8, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 11th, 2007 @ 12:21 PM Reply

We won't reinstate the draft in the first place, unless things really go to hell there, like if Iran starts firing nukesoff. I believe when it comedown to it we should reinstate it, if we pussyfoot around and wait for Iran to make the first move, we'll enr up getting hurt more, so if we have to reinstate the draft to insure security of the world, so be it.


BBS Signature
Ranger2
Ranger2
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 20th, 2007 @ 11:37 PM Reply

No, not at all.
I do not want to be in any war at all. The only way I would be is if I was drafted. If drafted, I would serve my country the best I could, but I would never join the army voluntarily.

Humbucker740
Humbucker740
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 20th, 2007 @ 11:53 PM Reply

How retarded are you people?

You take a simple question and make it a huge debate for no reason.

SIMPLY NO, we do not need to reinstate the draft nor should we. Because we fucking have enough troops already. We have more than enough troops. We have enough troops to occupy the entire middle east.


Libertarian. Religious Nihilist. Philosophical Skeptic.
Scop Productions.
Click and be amazed.

TheMason
TheMason
  • Member since: Dec. 26, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 21st, 2007 @ 01:17 AM Reply

At 1/20/07 11:53 PM, Humbucker740 wrote: How retarded are you people?

Actually I think it is not that we are retarded on either side of this discussion. I think it is that you are ignorant.


You take a simple question and make it a huge debate for no reason.

Actually it is not as simplistic as you think. Something that effects so many people in a way that would compell them to do something against their will is important to talk about. Sometimes it is necessary to have a draft, sometimes it is not.

In this case we need to analyze the reasons behind the two Democrats who have introduced draft authorization bills in the House and Senate in 2004 (one of whom has brought the issue back up), we need to look at why they want it.


SIMPLY NO, we do not need to reinstate the draft nor should we. Because we fucking have enough troops already. We have more than enough troops. We have enough troops to occupy the entire middle east.

The military does have a manpower shortage, and no we do not have more than enough troops. They are slashing the Air Force and Navy to increase the amount of troops the Army and Marines can have...and yet they cannot produce the recruitment levels to fill these increased slots.

And you definately exaggerate our capabilities when you say we have enough troops to occupy the entire Middle East. This shows how ignorant you are of the US's military committments abroad and the stress currently placed on our military.


Debunking conspiracy theories for the New World Order since 1995...
" I hereby accuse you attempting to silence me..." --PurePress

BBS Signature
Kev-o
Kev-o
  • Member since: May. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 21st, 2007 @ 12:35 PM Reply

Reinstating the draft is a terrible idea. The people who support it won't be going to war, neither will their children.


"We anarchists do not want to emancipate the people; we want the people to emancipate themselves."-Errico Malatesta

BBS Signature
psycho-squirrel2
psycho-squirrel2
  • Member since: Jan. 25, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 22nd, 2007 @ 06:16 AM Reply

no, because there is no reason to. its not like we are in some kind of real war.

Benovere
Benovere
  • Member since: Jul. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 22nd, 2007 @ 09:14 AM Reply

At 1/22/07 06:16 AM, shin-tenshu wrote: no, because there is no reason to. its not like we are in some kind of real war.

Yeah, its not like we are shooting at anyone or getting killed and stuff. Just because it is not a declared war does not make it any less real. The vietnam war, for example, was a 'police action' and just look at the casualties resulting in that. I do respect your opinion, but comments like those get on my nerves from time to time.


-Lost Signature-
If found, please call 555-1212 to claim your prize. disclaimer - prizes may cause fatigue, bad breath, erectile dysfunction, tax audit, or anal bleeding.

BBS Signature
DJ-Jerakai
DJ-Jerakai
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 22nd, 2007 @ 10:03 AM Reply

Its not very liberal, or democratic, or representitive of freedom or anything that america says it stands for.
Its more like a power hungry dictatorship.

TheMason
TheMason
  • Member since: Dec. 26, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 22nd, 2007 @ 03:02 PM Reply

At 1/22/07 10:03 AM, DJ-Jerakai wrote: Its more like a power hungry dictatorship.

Yep and look at the dictators who have instituted it before:
Lincoln (R)
Wilson (D)
Roosevelt (D)
Truman (D)
Johnson (D)


Debunking conspiracy theories for the New World Order since 1995...
" I hereby accuse you attempting to silence me..." --PurePress

BBS Signature
psycho-squirrel2
psycho-squirrel2
  • Member since: Jan. 25, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 23rd, 2007 @ 01:19 AM Reply

At 1/22/07 09:14 AM, Benovere wrote: Yeah, its not like we are shooting at anyone or getting killed and stuff. Just because it is not a declared war does not make it any less real. The vietnam war, for example, was a 'police action' and just look at the casualties resulting in that. I do respect your opinion, but comments like those get on my nerves from time to time.

by real war i mean that if we were to loose, our country would be taken over.

Sigma-Lambda
Sigma-Lambda
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 23rd, 2007 @ 08:37 AM Reply

I only support a draft when it is in immediate defense of the U.S. I would not support a draft for Iraq or Vietnam, I would support a draft for WW2. It's a case by case basis.

nutrumpet
nutrumpet
  • Member since: Nov. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Should The Us Reinstate The Draft? Jan. 23rd, 2007 @ 10:59 AM Reply

I think we should go to that Swiss system. Everyone out of highschool required to serve in the military for two years before continuing. That way we always have lots of trained people. Of course, I'm already in college so it would skip me... :P