Be a Supporter!

$250 for Best Games

  • 13,390 Views
  • 163 Replies
Respond to this Topic
Sphynx-1
Sphynx-1
  • Member since: Jan. 4, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 03:58 PM Reply

I really respect this because i've tryed to make games and they are extremely hard to make i can only make dress up games. I'm banned from the portal for only 11 more days so hopefully some of the movies i've made and a couple of the games will possibly be able make the llist... and if they don't its still cool.

Heres an idea though. The front page each day will host 5 games and 5 movies... Wait thats not that great of an idea... never mind. and i think ur a decent artist/ animator

Digivolution
Digivolution
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 04:02 PM Reply

Nice. It's great to see games being honoured.

Deadly-Shadow
Deadly-Shadow
  • Member since: Jun. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 04:15 PM Reply

Good idea I dont think any game has won $250 yet.


BBS Signature
Sk8erGirl14
Sk8erGirl14
  • Member since: May. 5, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 04:39 PM Reply

...Prize for Movies and Games brings up another topic...IS IT LEGAL...will GAMES/MOVIES with ORIGINAL CONTENT only be rewarded...say Original MUSIC and original CHARACTERS...wouldn't using somebody elses work be considered copywrite infringement if you were paid for the work? I dunno how NG handles these things currently...but how are they planning on avoiding this issue?

Just a thought?


well, like, you couldn't, like, find it because, like, you're dumb, god
Follow me on twitter :3

BBS Signature
FullyClothedMike
FullyClothedMike
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 04:48 PM Reply

Ugh!
I'm not looking forward to having to look at 10 submissions now.

comic-boy
comic-boy
  • Member since: Jul. 9, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 05:24 PM Reply

awesome i've been waiting for some reason for people to post more games finally some fun will come out of all my voting
your the best

strider-dan
strider-dan
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 05:25 PM Reply

sounds cool can't wait too see it

Redface
Redface
  • Member since: Jul. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Gamer
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 05:37 PM Reply

dude, as much as i love games, don't TOTALLY FORGET ABOUT THE MOVIES! , if possible, i would love to see both 'toon and game pages updated.


Twitter|Big Mean Flash Gamer| Art by John Dyer Baizley, sig by Shaun.

BBS Signature
Funk-Machine
Funk-Machine
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 05:53 PM Reply

I had a very similar feeling. Just looking at the portal submitions you so rarely see games these days and only three are currently in the top 50.

Its kind of strange since actionscript and the interactivity you can achieve with flash is probably its best feature and gives you more creative control than most programs out there.

Anything that will encourage interactive content is good I feel and to be supporting the community and these aspiring artist is inspirational Tom. Great work.

EricTheRed
EricTheRed
  • Member since: Feb. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 07:28 PM Reply

I don't know Tom I think that your trying to cash in on games. Besides newgrounds is a democarcy on what is picked.

Back-Door-Baron
Back-Door-Baron
  • Member since: Feb. 9, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 08:12 PM Reply

Ha ha ha, this is hilarious-- here's a quote from me from the first month that we had this...

At 4/10/05 08:52 PM, Back_Door_Baron wrote: Congrats to all the winners! You know, we need more games up there. Some of these movies are great, but I played some outstanding games this month and most of my votes were for games. Alas, the passive entertainment of the movie seems to have much more allure :p

I think this is a great idea! Sometimes the games get overlooked because some people consider them to be "easier" to make, but some of the greatest games out there look as good as any movie I've seen.


Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drum...

Wingman26
Wingman26
  • Member since: Aug. 15, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 08:28 PM Reply

I don't think movies will ever stop being a part of Newgrounds or ever get minimized in any way. If nothing else, they'll just now get equal play with games, which is a good thing, I think. I'd like to see more games personally, because they're always fun to play. This will help to raise their level of visibility. I hardly think we're going to see movies completely edged out. If nothing else we'll be showcasing more excellent quality at the same time.

liljim
liljim
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 09:21 PM Reply

At 6/14/05 04:48 PM, FullyClothedMike wrote: Ugh!
I'm not looking forward to having to look at 10 submissions now.

You should be looking at all the submissions in the list. You're whining because you have to vote on more than 5? It can be arranged so that you don't get to vote on any of the submissions, if that makes your life easier.

liljim
liljim
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 09:25 PM Reply

At 6/14/05 02:24 PM, TomaO2 wrote: Stuff.

You're pretty opinionated, for someone who isn't even eligible to vote on any of the nominations. You mention that you've been hanging around the site for years - good for you. If you were a true fan of the site, you'd have signed up for an account whenever it was that you claim you first started lurking around the place.

Redface
Redface
  • Member since: Jul. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Gamer
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 09:43 PM Reply

At 6/14/05 09:21 PM, liljim wrote:
At 6/14/05 04:48 PM, FullyClothedMike wrote: Ugh!
I'm not looking forward to having to look at 10 submissions now.
You should be looking at all the submissions in the list. You're whining because you have to vote on more than 5? It can be arranged so that you don't get to vote on any of the submissions, if that makes your life easier.

you know, i wouldn't mind being on the "council". *sigh*, i vote, i write reveiws, and what do i have to show for for it? a stupid Lvl. 9 avatar. at least in a couple days, I'll get my Lvl. 10 avatar.

whoopdy fucking doo.


Twitter|Big Mean Flash Gamer| Art by John Dyer Baizley, sig by Shaun.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 09:59 PM Reply

At 6/14/05 02:24 PM, TomaO2 wrote: Lets not tinker period.

Well I'm gonna do it anyway.


This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
oc-fuzzy
oc-fuzzy
  • Member since: Nov. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 10:14 PM Reply

tom fulp is Mr. Moneybags


You're so pretty, like a tree, or a high-class prostitute.

BBS Signature
ViceFullbuster
ViceFullbuster
  • Member since: Sep. 16, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Melancholy
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 10:14 PM Reply

At 6/14/05 09:59 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 6/14/05 02:24 PM, TomaO2 wrote: Lets not tinker period.
Well I'm gonna do it anyway.

Yay for great justice.


NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature
Masso
Masso
  • Member since: Mar. 5, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Animator
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 10:37 PM Reply

Man, Two Hundred and Shifty buck?! Man, makes me wish I knew action-scripting...

JeremyLokken
JeremyLokken
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 23
Animator
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 11:18 PM Reply

I guess the world has to make room for a Saved By Your Balls 2, or Star Trek Enterprise 3, or Bill Cosby Fun Game 2.


Rainbow Animations <-- for my website.

TomaO2
TomaO2
  • Member since: Apr. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 14th, 2005 @ 11:27 PM Reply

At 6/14/05 09:59 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 6/14/05 02:24 PM, TomaO2 wrote: Lets not tinker period.
Well I'm gonna do it anyway.

Wow, that one actually hurt, I gave a comprehensive reasoning as to why games (contrary to the popular opinion) actually are not underappreciated in Newgrounds. Why we didn't need to do this.

About the only replies I get are put downs from people that say I am wrong because of silly reasons. I am 'too new' (I'm not, I was just to casual to bother registering. When your on dial up, it was such a pain to load up anything but it shouldn't matter, my facts are correct) and 'too opinionated. I don't get that last one as I think I am being less opinionated then others. As anyone that has watched CSI knows, the evidence doesn't lie and my numbers are spot on. While everyone else gives options they state as facts (that games are underrepresented). That is far worse in my book.

I say, if you are going to do it anyway (I don't think you should). There is only 1 game for every 5 toons posted so at least make it a smaller number such as 1, 2 or maby 3 tops for the monthly award. Which seems more fair since you are getting them from a much smaller pool. Which will probably not go up significantly from this initiative.

Look, I don't need people to agree with me but I would have really appreciated it from you Tom, in particular, if you had just... made me feel like you took the issues I raised seriously. That was so dismissive. I considered that post very carfully. It was well thought out. Didn't it deserve a little better then that?


Collecting NG's undiscovered gems has been a hobby of mine since 2005. I am curently posting them on my blog.

Feel free to check them out and tell me what you think.

PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Member since: Sep. 26, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 15th, 2005 @ 12:32 AM Reply

Here's my 2 bits...

Yes, NG was founded on games. Newgrounds formed out of a fanzine for neo-geo. Games drove it's creation.

However, when the portal popped up, it became not about games and movies, it was about independant flash authors making fun stuff.

Then it grew, and grew. Any 10 year old kid with kazaa could get Flash and the submissions started pouring in.

Do movies outnumber games? damn right.

These kids who have minimal art skill and no programming skill can still grab some sprites and make silly little toons. Tweening takes the need for animation skill down a few nothces, and do, then general public has the power to make and submit animations.

Now, let's ignore all the crap. You will probably find for every movie that deomnstrates skill and genuine talent, you will se an equally worthy game.

And yet, look at the portal. Games that take people months to make, and have in-depth interaction often rank far below animations that were produced in less than a week, but happen to feature characters people like.

Now I'm not saying these movies are garbage, I enjoy them as well, but they do tend to draw more pull from the average voter than a game. People like easy stuff. People don't like a lot of game genres. The challenge of a game is often a turn off and so they vote it low because it's not to their taste, instead of basing it on what it is.

I'm not saying games can't break through to poularity... I've done so myself on occasion. But I've also seen good games that should earn respect, with crappy scores.

Games and Movies are two completely different animals that have been caged together here on NG for years. Both have their place, and both should be respected as individual art forms. By splitting the monthly awards into 5 games an5 5 movies, NG is not putting any focus or lack of on either medium, but recognizing the fact that they should each be treated as seperate art forms, and given reconition as such.

Once the games page is all updated I think people will really respect just how big of a flash medium games really are here on NG. And with more games being promoted, you get more replay/revisit value, wich ultimately makes the community stronger, and makes NG more profitable.

I think it's all gonna be pretty cool.


Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
SubNoctem
SubNoctem
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Art Lover
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 15th, 2005 @ 01:04 AM Reply

An innevitable step to an ever-gorwing, ever-improving site.

kelsdawg
kelsdawg
  • Member since: Apr. 2, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 15th, 2005 @ 03:41 AM Reply

<A> interesting idea thats pretty cool and everything

KyleRoberts
KyleRoberts
  • Member since: Feb. 19, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Programmer
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 15th, 2005 @ 02:33 PM Reply

At 6/14/05 11:27 PM, TomaO2 wrote:

Look, I don't need people to agree with me but I would have really appreciated it from you Tom, in particular, if you had just... made me feel like you took the issues I raised seriously. That was so dismissive. I considered that post very carfully. It was well thought out. Didn't it deserve a little better then that?

I like how you try to spew facts and statistics about NG as if you knew it like the back of your hand. You make snooty comments like, "According to my recent study..." and "whatever, my facts are correct..." You have all these assumptions and no really hard numbers to back up anything you're talking about. You seem to feel SO educated on what you're speaking of, and so sure of yourself. Then you get all sensitive when your comments get dismissed by someone who clearly knows more about the site and its workings than you do. Tone down your arrogance a little and just accept the idea that there might be more information about NG's system that you're unaware of.

LYP
LYP
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 15th, 2005 @ 02:45 PM Reply

At 6/13/05 07:23 PM, TomFulp wrote:
To top it all off, we will now be keeping the GAMES section up-to-date under our new content management system. Say goodbye to those outdated GAMES pages, your submissions will be catalogued and showcased from now on!

Thank God Tom.. I hated those games! They were SO DAMN annoying. Can't wait man!

jenova-absolute
jenova-absolute
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 15th, 2005 @ 03:43 PM Reply

Woot, I love you tom! My first game got added to the collection and has over 2 million hits and it was shit! So the way the sequel is looking (actual good graphics) hopefully I'll get front page, as long as the hentai craving ng users haven't left!


BBS Signature
cicla
cicla
  • Member since: Jan. 5, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 15th, 2005 @ 04:08 PM Reply

great idea!!!

and i think in the front page the games must be post in a side of the page
and the movies in another side...

that could help.

The-Notorious-Naffa
The-Notorious-Naffa
  • Member since: Jun. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 15th, 2005 @ 04:26 PM Reply

I think it sounds like a good idea. I just hope that you can fund this idea for a long period of time.

ZT
ZT
  • Member since: Jun. 11, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to $250 for Best Games Jun. 15th, 2005 @ 05:43 PM Reply

woah, that's alot of cash.

I love you, newgrounds.