• 1,792 Replies
juraj
juraj
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-10 10:14:10

Liljim, your HTML aids are nice, but have you noticed the functions on some modern message boards? They allow you to select a chunk of text in your post, click ie. italic, and it automatically wraps the selected italic tags around the selected text. And similiarly for links, too: if you select some text, click link, it should just ask what is the href parameter and automatically wrap it around the selected text.

Just some web 2.0-ish suggestions which would be nice to see.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-10 11:43:12

At 2/10/07 06:16 AM, Mr-Money wrote: Polls on the forums

You'd do well to read the first post to this thread.

Suggested ideas rejected:
<snip>
Polls for BBS.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-10 11:43:41

At 2/10/07 10:14 AM, juraj wrote: but have you noticed the functions on some modern message boards? They allow you to select a chunk of text in your post, click ie. italic, and it automatically wraps the selected italic tags around the selected text.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=58 2381

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-10 12:28:20

a chance to break the text in your profile message maybe? My current profile message would be a lot better if I could make a new line for -none-

juraj
juraj
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-10 16:19:07

At 2/10/07 11:43 AM, liljim wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=58 2381

Thank you. Sorry on being lazy.

Sterockicy
Sterockicy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-10 16:43:50

At 2/10/07 12:28 PM, SBB wrote: a chance to break the text in your profile message maybe? My current profile message would be a lot better if I could make a new line for -none-

I totally agree. That is the one thing that annoys me a lot. My profile message has more than one and you cant split each different topic up onto a new line.

I would love to be able to, and it would look much better. Although you wouldnt be able to type as much because every line break would cause less room for text.

Do you have 2,500+ b/p points? Are you looking for an intelligent club where you can discuss NG related and unrelated topics? Join the Elite Guard Barracks!

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-10 16:47:21

At 2/10/07 04:43 PM, Sterockicy wrote:
At 2/10/07 12:28 PM, SBB wrote: a chance to break the text in your profile message maybe? My current profile message would be a lot better if I could make a new line for -none-
Although you wouldnt be able to type as much because every line break would cause less room for text.

you could type just as much text if you wrote everything in a block

Rosstafari
Rosstafari
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-10 23:03:52

Two ideas for new features on the forums:

1. A "Mark all as read" button. I'm not sure how the code works, so I can't get more specific, but it's pretty self explanatory. Pretty useful feature in other forums I've used.
2. An "Ignore this thread" button. Would be good for users who don't want to sift through some of the garbage discussions. You could just ignore them, but this could permanently set a thread's tank icon to gray, making browsing a little faster. Might be an increase on server load, again, I'm not sure how the code works.

I'd say the first would be a lot more helpful (and used) than the second, but both would be nice.

GTFO
GTFO
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-11 01:31:27

I'll edit this post with useful info later.

OH WAIT.

Altarus
Altarus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-11 01:39:48

Modify view count to let you see downloads and not just views. There is so much spam traffic through Newgrounds that it is impossible to get an accurate count of downloads.

<deleted>
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-11 04:31:47

At 2/11/07 01:39 AM, Altarus wrote: Modify view count to let you see downloads and not just views. There is so much spam traffic through Newgrounds that it is impossible to get an accurate count of downloads.

And just for the hell of it, Co-Authors and the original Author shouldn't be added to the count. Just to get a more accurate idea of where the submittion is when first passing through the portal.

Bezman
Bezman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-12 07:28:48

I seriously think the number of chars allowed in a password should be doubled from 10 to 20.

Specially with a few folk having recently been password-hacked, I was a tad concerned and wanted to lengthen mine. Probably to 16 chars, but 20 seems a reasonable limit.

EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-14 16:48:23

See the thread I made in general aobut raising minimum score for flash.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=65 5715

BBS Signature
EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-14 16:50:28

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=65 5715

sorry broken link

BBS Signature
juraj
juraj
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-15 16:40:37

Why can't we PM ourselves? It would be useful, so I can use my (otherwise empty) PM inbox as a pastebin or something.

Novelty
Novelty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-18 17:34:21

At 2/15/07 07:53 AM, cementsocks wrote: I've been on the BBS for a good while now, and I have something to suggest.

Everyday, umpteen users sign up, and many of them make threads. Now, threads are the bread and butter of forums, and the 3 topic per day limit is swell and all, but I think there should be a time limit between started topics. For example, you can only make one of your three per 30 minutes. I'm sick of going on the forums and seeing 3 (usually pointless) topics by the same (noob idiot) loser all on the front at one time. Not only does it push more useless topics off the screen, but it drives me fucking mad.

Personally, I think one topic a day would be enough. With a forum as massive as Newgrounds, people should be worrying about the quality of just a single thread. If they have two great ideas in a single day, they only have to wait a 24 hours. They can use that time to manage and improve the thread they already have up.

Altarus
Altarus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-18 22:59:04

NG removes tools from the author's submission options after certain waypoints. For instance, after 400 votes, you can no longer remove a flash. After awhile, you no longer are able to update the flash icon. And so on.

My solution--do not remove any tools. Instead, just make it so that these changes must be verified by admins or special mods after the waypoints have been hit.

RupeeClock
RupeeClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Animator
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-18 23:09:04

It would be nice if your flash and music submissions in your profiles, were numbered like your favourites are.

That would make knowing how many submissions a user has SO much easier.

king-ben
king-ben
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-19 03:34:56

i think there should be a chatroom so people can talk to eachother without using the forums or pm

Casualty
Casualty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-19 06:15:58

At 2/19/07 03:34 AM, king-ben wrote: i think there should be a chatroom so people can talk to eachother without using the forums or pm

Actually, there is one. We even have a Pal Talk room. You can find all the instructions you need on the page I linked you to.

Libidinous-Rose
Libidinous-Rose
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-20 06:34:23

what if there was a way to see when someone quotes your words and posts it so you can respond/ read what they wrote in response to your statement/question.

get sent a message? and you can turn this option off.

cool idea?

or what?

Libidinous-Rose
Libidinous-Rose
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-20 15:46:15

At 2/10/07 11:03 PM, Rosstafari wrote:.

2. An "Ignore this thread" button.

and maybe an option to ignore it for 24 hours or a months or 2 weeks or somthing......even i am tired of seeing photoshop bedn on the front page, and all the good owl pictures have been done. it's imposable to do any better than what is there.....but i sitll wanna see people try.

Libidinous-Rose
Libidinous-Rose
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-20 15:52:42

At 2/10/07 06:12 AM, Darkside7000 wrote:
Like the idea of voting on the same page.

i think this would make people more likly to accually view what they are voting, especially with high conection speed i tend to just click play this movie, and as soon as the voting thing pops up vote and close the window.....and when people IM me and tell me to vote fiffen on their submissions, i dont watch i just vote 5.....i might watch if it's on the same page.

jack324
jack324
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-24 22:49:19

I just had to refresh the browser again to check if there was a reply,

the thing is though, if I was'n getting a reply within the 5 minutes or so, I'd probably be doing something else, then in the meantime if I had a reply that was asking me a question for my post matter, then they are not gonna get a reply either , well they will when I return to the post and refresh the browser or try and find my post between all of the others.
I think if NG had a system where you have an option to choose whether you want to be notified of replies for the posts or not, that would make life a little easier for everyone, so If there are enough people having the same problem as I do now, then lets all suggest to NG for this to be available.

the-crunt
the-crunt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-25 10:32:07

Bump for jack324's idea...it could be an option in your account if you'd like to recieve notifications on any thread you post on...you can also choose to unsubscribe from a certain thread

BBS Signature
RupeeClock
RupeeClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Animator
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-25 18:35:32

I feel that a minimum word count for reviews needs to be introduced.

There are simply too many reviews from idiots that simply say "That was great!" and NOTHING ELSE, it's annoying and completely unhelpful.

A minimum of at least 30 words should be put in so that the users are required to actually put a little thought into what they're saying.

MetalDart
MetalDart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Programmer
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-25 19:32:55

I feel that when an Underdog or Review Crew pick is deleted, another flash should take it's place. Maybe, once those awards are decided, there are two backup underdogs or review picks, in case the first one is stolen.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /777777 http://metaldart.webs.com/ My freewebs website. Check it out dog. My old NG profile ID: 1321019

BBS Signature
RupeeClock
RupeeClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Animator
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-25 23:08:48

At 2/25/07 07:32 PM, MetalDart wrote: I feel that when an Underdog or Review Crew pick is deleted, another flash should take it's place. Maybe, once those awards are decided, there are two backup underdogs or review picks, in case the first one is stolen.

The reason a submission doesn't replace it, is because it would be too difficult to manually figure out the reviews from submissions, unlike scores where you can easily pick out the best or worst submission.

Pieriku
Pieriku
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-27 12:54:42

It must have been said somewhere else, but I was too lazy to search over these 50-something pages.
The turd of the week award should be removed.
I mean, there are people that are doing very bad flash on purpose, just to get this award. That shouldn't be something you should be proud of.
I don't ask about increasing the limit for which a flash is saved, just to avoid giving an award, even if it is a "turd" award, to somebody that didn't try to make something good.
And maybe it would avoid these thousands of submissions of crews like KK that just massively vote 5 on their flash to get them past the mark, and then massively vote 0 to give it the award...
Or all those guys doing no effort in their flash, and just ask to get the turd of the week...

kidray76
kidray76
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2007-02-27 13:34:35

At 2/27/07 12:54 PM, Pieriku wrote:

We know

Been mentioned before, several several times. Actually not a bad idea really.

NG Review Moderator // Pm me for Review Abuse

BBS Signature