Update the FAQ

Hybrid-Of-Souls
Hybrid-Of-Souls
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Game Developer
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 3rd, 2007 @ 01:14 AM

There needs to be more enforcement on the 'no mass voting' and 'no file-swapping' rules, becuase there are still plenty of users who do it anyway, and some mutiple times. That or we could use more portal mods to cover it.

Top medal point users (updated Sundays) | Wi/Ht member #43
Steam ID
Join the party | V NG Archive V |

BBS Signature
squeakytoad
squeakytoad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 3rd, 2007 @ 04:29 AM

At 1/27/07 01:03 PM, Dogzin wrote: have a system where you can vote on whole collections

That's ridiculous. Some content in collections is far superior or inferior to other content within this same collection.
It would also make it all the easier for retards and fanboys to destroy the collections they hate. Star Wars fanboys who are sick of all the mockeries of the movies they're so obsessed with will immediately downvote the Star Wars collection. Retarded Clock haters will immediately downvote the Clock Crew collection. Any haters of individual series will have their chance to make the Newgrounds experience even more miserable for the author of that series.
This is just a plain bad idea.

At 2/1/07 09:46 PM, Tangonia wrote: Would it be possible to give co-authors the ability to reply to reviews? I think it wold benefit newgrounds.

Not at all. I seriously hope this idea will not even be considered.
First off, one coauthor might say something really stupid that the rest of the coauthors don't want to be said, but there's now no way to delete it.
Second, people would get extremely cautious over who they coauthor, not wanting someone to say anything stupid in permanent reviews.
Third, there would be immense amounts of arguing over who got to answer what.
Fourth, it would put a ton of strain on the collab organizers.

At 2/1/07 10:04 PM, Crag wrote: This might have already been suggested but I think there should be a small "do you really wish to post this message?" window that pops up after you press the "post it!" button. I have accidentally hit post it a couple of times unintentionally and find it rather embarrasing when I have to double post to finish what I am saying, this would also make some users think a small bit more before actually posting what they have typed.

I think we'd all be much better off with a PREVIEW POST BUTTON. I hope somebody reads that.
That way we'd be able to see the image we might be attaching, all our coding, and everything else one last time before deciding to post it.

Jogilius
Jogilius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 3rd, 2007 @ 07:34 AM

I think the "if you're going to rate this movie with a low rating, please be constructive"-instruction should be changed into something that encourages constructive comments no matter what the rating will be, because now it seems that many who would like to give low scores don't do that, because they feel pressured to give the constructive criticism. This in turn results in most of the ratings being 10 10 10 10 10 10 - and that quite frankly makes the whole rating system seem idiotic.

SephirothFreidel677
SephirothFreidel677
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 3rd, 2007 @ 11:41 AM

At 6/11/05 01:35 PM, Popsycle wrote: I know many users, including myself, don't like the fact that the only way you can gain expierence is by voting on movies. Here are some ideas on how to gain experience

.01 points for every post on the bbs
.1 points for every review
2 points for every movie submitted that doesn't get blammed
10 points for 1st place daily 8 2nd, 6 3rd, 4 4th 2 5th.
20 points for 1st place weekly 18 2nd, 16 3rd, 14 4th 12 5th.
25 points review crew pick
5 points underdog

and the same goes agaisnt you if you do something bad!

-10 points for every ban in the bbs
-5 points for every abusive review
-2 points for every blammed movie sent in

I totally agree 110% I thin we should allow for experience to be gained or lost from other actions, not just the movies, because even though newgrounds is based on flash work, the BBS, audio portal, reviews, and awards are a big part of this wonderful site, and should be given the same amount of prestige, and importance as voting on flash movies.

I believe that this idea should be implemented, though you can change the experience values to whatever you wish. Please have mercy on us and implement this!

SephirothFreidel677
SephirothFreidel677
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 3rd, 2007 @ 11:43 AM

I'm sorry to post another message so quickley, I just forgot to mention this in my last message, I believe that if possible, there should be a BBS forum for non-newgrounds music.

Thanks for listening.

UnknownFear
UnknownFear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 3rd, 2007 @ 01:54 PM

...Is my suggested idea at the top of this page an ok idea? I would really like it if they would boost the 350 char. limit for the BBS sig.

head2toewinner
head2toewinner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 3rd, 2007 @ 11:15 PM

I understand what the person above me was saying about new ways to gain EXP but I think that it should definetly be based upon different things than just movies and portal awards. I would like to think of myself as someone that contributes to the site but as of yet I don't know flash. That system would be unfair to the people that come in here to view and review the flash along with those who post on the BBS.

Also about being able to vote on entire collections I see why that could cause problems. What I would like to see maybe is a way to vote on a collection. You know maybe have the collections rated just like the movies. The rating of the collection would mean nothing to the scores of the movies inside. They would be solely related to the quality of the collection as a whole.

<deleted>
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 4th, 2007 @ 05:06 AM

At 6/11/05 01:35 PM, Popsycle wrote: I know many users, including myself, don't like the fact that the only way you can gain expierence is by voting on movies. Here are some ideas on how to gain experience

.01 points for every post on the bbs
.1 points for every review
2 points for every movie submitted that doesn't get blammed
10 points for 1st place daily 8 2nd, 6 3rd, 4 4th 2 5th.
20 points for 1st place weekly 18 2nd, 16 3rd, 14 4th 12 5th.
25 points review crew pick
5 points underdog

and the same goes agaisnt you if you do something bad!

-10 points for every ban in the bbs
-5 points for every abusive review
-2 points for every blammed movie sent in

I agree, but make a few changes. The values are to high. Plus the 2 exp for getting a flash to pass is to easy, imagine the increase in SS flashes etc. (not to mention co-authoring one another and getting 100+ xp a day).

1 exp for posting on the BBS. 5 exp per day.
2 points for every review. 10 per day.
1 points for every audio review. 2 per day.
2 points for every movie submitted with a score over 3.00
5 points for 1st place daily 4 2nd, 3 3rd, 2 4th 1 5th.
5 points for 1st place weekly 4 2nd, 3 3rd, 2 4th 1 5th.
5 points review crew pick
1 point underdog

Secondly, there should be a "deposit gained exp" link in our profile pages. This way, uses who DON'T wish to gain exp are not forced to. Exp gained for winning awards should be permanent until you deposit, meaning if you gained the award a few days ago, you can still gain the exp. Whereas exp gained from posting should only be allowed to be gained on that day. All up thats an extra 22exp per day (although most users will only gain 3-6 extra, so maybe the values could be a LITTLE higher.)

Also, why not...

+5xp for reaching 1,000 posts.
+10 for reaching 2,000
+20 for reaching 5,000
+50 for reaching 10,000

+5xp for reaching 100 reviews.
+10 for reaching 200
+20 for reaching 500
+50 for reaching 1,000
===
And another suggestion from me. How come this is only for new entries? I suggest it become a part of the entire portal.

Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 4th, 2007 @ 05:14 AM

At 2/4/07 05:06 AM, Darkside7000 wrote: 1 exp for posting on the BBS. 5 exp per day.

That's an insane high.

2 points for every review. 10 per day.
1 points for every audio review. 2 per day.

why should Flash reviews get more than audio reviews? that's totally fucking nonsense.

2 points for every movie submitted with a score over 3.00

Compared to the 2 per review?

5 points for 1st place daily 4 2nd, 3 3rd, 2 4th 1 5th.
5 points for 1st place weekly 4 2nd, 3 3rd, 2 4th 1 5th.

I may agree

5 points review crew pick
1 point underdog

mmmkay

Also, why not...

+5xp for reaching 1,000 posts.
+10 for reaching 2,000
+20 for reaching 5,000
+50 for reaching 10,000

That'd be a lot of spam for shur

+5xp for reaching 100 reviews.
+10 for reaching 200
+20 for reaching 500
+50 for reaching 1,000

In total or only Flash? Seems like a much better choice than posts.

And another suggestion from me. How come this is only for new entries? I suggest it become a part of the entire portal.

Well, there is the alpha and the left row....

The exp gaining things are giving quite a lot of exp eh?

aka SBB! I'm not on Newgrounds anymore, but you can find me here:
Youtube | Soundcloud | Facebook

<deleted>
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 4th, 2007 @ 05:27 AM

At 2/4/07 05:14 AM, SBB wrote: why should Flash reviews get more than audio reviews? that's totally fucking nonsense.

Because Audio reviews are usually alot lazier then flash reviews. Althought the majority of the times it's just "omg that was kewl" anyway.

Sterockicy
Sterockicy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 4th, 2007 @ 05:30 AM

At 2/4/07 05:27 AM, Darkside7000 wrote:
At 2/4/07 05:14 AM, SBB wrote: why should Flash reviews get more than audio reviews? that's totally fucking nonsense.
Because Audio reviews are usually alot lazier then flash reviews. Althought the majority of the times it's just "omg that was kewl" anyway.

That problem could easiely be fixed if you added a timer on each review like it is done with flash reviews. So you can only right 1 review per 5 minutes.

Do you have 2,500+ b/p points? Are you looking for an intelligent club where you can discuss NG related and unrelated topics? Join the Elite Guard Barracks!

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 4th, 2007 @ 10:35 AM

At 2/4/07 05:27 AM, Darkside7000 wrote:

Not true, there are so many in-depth and really long audio reviews, and the "omg that was kewl" reviews are just as common in Flash reviews. There may be a bit more, but that is probably because there are so many people who have no clue what they're talking about?
Audio reviews aren't lazier, but many people who write them are... A lot of people take their time to make long in-deptht audio reviews, too.

aka SBB! I'm not on Newgrounds anymore, but you can find me here:
Youtube | Soundcloud | Facebook

Cosmetor
Cosmetor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 4th, 2007 @ 02:31 PM

At 2/3/07 07:34 AM, Jogilius wrote: I think the "if you're going to rate this movie with a low rating, please be constructive"-instruction should be changed into something that encourages constructive comments no matter what the rating will be, because now it seems that many who would like to give low scores don't do that, because they feel pressured to give the constructive criticism. This in turn results in most of the ratings being 10 10 10 10 10 10 - and that quite frankly makes the whole rating system seem idiotic.

Constructive criticism is the entire point of reviewing. Someone who doesn't have something helpful to say should just vote and not put up a review at all.

I noticed a glitch on the site. It's in the system where you can rate whether a review is helpful or abusive. If you click on the "Yes" "No" or "Abusive" links below a review, you're directed to the reviews listed in chronological order, even if you were viewing them listed by rating. This is annoying because it makes it much harder to mark several abusive reviews at once, because abusive reviews tend to have low scores and can be more easily found by viewing reviews listed by score.

triggerhappytaco
triggerhappytaco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 5th, 2007 @ 11:12 PM

At 2/4/07 02:31 PM, Cosmetor wrote:
At 2/3/07 07:34 AM, Jogilius wrote:

If you click on the "Yes" "No" or "Abusive" links below a review, you're directed to the reviews listed in chronological order, even if you were viewing them listed by rating.

How about being able to flag more than one review at a time?

Altarus
Altarus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 6th, 2007 @ 03:16 AM

At 2/4/07 02:31 PM, Cosmetor wrote: I noticed a glitch on the site. It's in the system where you can rate whether a review is helpful or abusive. If you click on the "Yes" "No" or "Abusive" links below a review, you're directed to the reviews listed in chronological order, even if you were viewing them listed by rating. This is annoying because it makes it much harder to mark several abusive reviews at once, because abusive reviews tend to have low scores and can be more easily found by viewing reviews listed by score.

I got an idea; how about not redirecting to a new page at all? It is better that way because you can flag at many as you want at a time.

head2toewinner
head2toewinner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 7th, 2007 @ 05:51 PM

I think that what we should do with this review problem is maybe put in a checkbox system. Maybe then at the top and bottom of the page it will have a button to put all of the checks that you put on the page into action. So you could actually just go down and check every review. Put a check mark for the ones that you wish to mark and then at the bottom have a way to submit your verdicts.

LordofVoid
LordofVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 8th, 2007 @ 01:26 AM

I suggest that the current numbers for flash deletion be changed from this:

100 votes - 1.0
150 votes - 1.25
200 votes - 1.60

to this:

100 votes - 1.15
150 votes - 1.40
200 votes - 1.75

In order to reduce the number of junk flashes in the portal and improve the quality of newgrounds.

head2toewinner
head2toewinner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 8th, 2007 @ 03:06 PM

However LoV what that will do is discourage up and coming flash makers. Right now I am in the works of making a flash and I expect it will probably come in below 2. If my flash doesn't make it then how will I get any criticism on how to make it better. This is a site for experienced flashes and people trying to get better. The reason for this site is so your flash doesnt have to be excellent to get posted. I like the numbers as they are because they keep the site easy enough to get a flash onto and then learn more from the experience around you and the helpful reviewers that might not be able to see it while it is in the process of being blammed.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 8th, 2007 @ 03:16 PM

I say we make it so you get 50 points per flash and 20 per audio. However blammed or ratings under 2.0 should get you docked 100 points.

When you reach zero and go under your account is deleted.

Sakurazukamori
Sakurazukamori
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 8th, 2007 @ 10:46 PM

Get rid of the Turd of the Week award. It used to be an award to showcase the worst flash entry of the week that still ended up passing. They would normally be so bad they were funny. Nowadays though, the award usually goes to a group of idiots who were trying to win the award by manipulating the system. It's usually just a pre-loader and a one-frame animation with a title designed to attract negative attention. After it gets off the portal mainpage, the artist and his group of friends vote it down all week to ensure their objective. Having the Turd of the Week award showcases these idiots' handiwork. It also encourages people to spam the portal with garbage with no intention other than to amuse their immature selves and piss off other people. The award no longer serves a positive purpose for the portal. Get rid of it.

Sakurazukamori
Sakurazukamori
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 8th, 2007 @ 10:51 PM

To further illustrate my point, have a look at the past 4 months worth of Turds. It's the same groups of retards almost every week. If it's not members of the Kitty Krew it's members of the Star Syndicate.

Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2

<deleted>
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 9th, 2007 @ 04:37 AM

At 2/8/07 03:16 PM, Chris-V2 wrote: I say we make it so you get 50 points per flash and 20 per audio. However blammed or ratings under 2.0 should get you docked 100 points.

When you reach zero and go under your account is deleted.

Wow. You know how many exp points the Kitty Krew could get a day? They can submit 2 a day, plus co-author 9 others. So they could get around 1,000xp a day if just 10 of them decide to submit 2 flash each. All will pass, the system will be screwed.

Being docked pts is ridiculous. Not only will it discourage up and coming artists, but deleting an account just because their flash quality isn't up to par with others is stupid.

AlexJS
AlexJS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 9th, 2007 @ 05:19 PM

At 2/8/07 10:51 PM, Sakurazukamori wrote: To further illustrate my point, have a look at the past 4 months worth of Turds. It's the same groups of retards almost every week. If it's not members of the Kitty Krew it's members of the Star Syndicate.

I agree, I've heard them fighting over who gets it next.

My idea is a Downloads section, so you can download screensavers, wallpapers, and other stuff.

I also think auras should be decided for you.

Super Smash Bros. Crew Member
PM if you want Wii/DS Friend Codes, Steam accouts for TF2, etc.

BBS Signature
head2toewinner
head2toewinner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 9th, 2007 @ 10:44 PM

I agree with auras being decided for you. Like with me I have more saves than blams so I should have a light aura. For someone who has more blams it should be automatically dark. It would just be another cool feature of the site for people to try to change about themselves.

Sterockicy
Sterockicy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 9th, 2007 @ 10:49 PM

At 2/9/07 10:44 PM, head2toewinner wrote: I agree with auras being decided for you. Like with me I have more saves than blams so I should have a light aura. For someone who has more blams it should be automatically dark. It would just be another cool feature of the site for people to try to change about themselves.

That seems like a good idea. The only issue that could rise from it is that some users may purposely blam everything just to get the "rarest" aura. I doubt that though!

Good idea!

Do you have 2,500+ b/p points? Are you looking for an intelligent club where you can discuss NG related and unrelated topics? Join the Elite Guard Barracks!

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 12:18 AM

At 2/9/07 10:49 PM, Sterockicy wrote:
At 2/9/07 10:44 PM, head2toewinner wrote: I agree with auras being decided for you. Like with me I have more saves than blams so I should have a light aura. For someone who has more blams it should be automatically dark. It would just be another cool feature of the site for people to try to change about themselves.
That seems like a good idea. The only issue that could rise from it is that some users may purposely blam everything just to get the "rarest" aura. I doubt that though!

Good idea!

Actually, I believe it was already like this at one point, and it DID raise issues just as you pointed out Sterockicy. Plus, once the new layout is released along with new user levels we will have additional aura's anyway, making this idea a bit pointless to impliment.

squeakytoad
squeakytoad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 01:07 AM

I originally thought this, but then realized, no, it doesn't work. There's more movies that deserve to be blammed submitted than there are those that deserve to be saved.
Some people might want a light aura and therefore start voting high on crap and releasing a ton of garbage out of judgement just to get one.
And someone who might want a dark aura will blam stuff, even that which deserves to come through.

People should vote on what they feel a submission deserves, and the aura should just be something they choose for themselves for the fun of it.

<deleted>
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 06:12 AM

At 2/10/07 06:06 AM, Mr-Money wrote: More graphics-based home page
The icons are currently too small and there's nothing which really makes you go "Yeah, I want to check this out" without looking really closely.

How do you know this already hasn't happened?

One-click viewing and voting
Like on YouTube, you should be able to click a submission's link and go staight to it without any beginning screen with "PLAY THIS GAME", for example.
The movie's page should also include a vote panel which just counts your damn vote without taking you to the "You voted .... on this submission, raising it to...". It's just annoying. You should also be able to leave comments in the YouTube way, i.e. not being taken from page to page to do so.

This was a feature awhile back if I remember. You could do it from your profile, it was probably removed for a good reason. Not sure what though. Like the idea of voting on the same page though.

Bigger "SUBMIT CONTENT" link and more focus on viewing your account details
When I first joined NG, it took me a while to figure out how to upload a movie. Perhaps making a bigger link could increase spam, but meh. There are always people who will create alt accounts or use different IP addresses with this system, so there's really no way of stopping the spam.

Agreed. Maybe not with the IP adress thing since some people have changing IP's.

And yes, you should be able to see how many messagesy ou have on every page without having to go to a new section. Also perhaps some stats on video views, latest awards.

Agreed.

The NG "Gamertag"...?
A little XBOX-esque NG card would be cool. Like with your name, an icon and your latest movies, batting average etc. That would kick ass.

Fanboys: leik omg u dun hav 360 lol
Fanboys: OMG Newgrundz supr0ts teh three shixty!

Polls on the forums
Every good forum has an option for creating a poll. Don't let NG lag behind without one.

Nope. This just isn't the kind of forum that would benifit from that. Don't know why I think this, just doesn't seem to fit in.

I'm gay.

You sure are. Post this here.

CogSpin
CogSpin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 06:16 AM

I'm sure we all know about the new NG layout, so here are my suggestions for what would make the site a lot more appealing:

More graphics-based home page
The icons are currently too small and there's nothing which really makes you go "Yeah, I want to check this out" without looking really closely.

One-click viewing and voting
Like on YouTube, you should be able to click a submission's link and go staight to it without any beginning screen with "PLAY THIS GAME", for example.
The movie's page should also include a vote panel which just counts your damn vote without taking you to the "You voted .... on this submission, raising it to...". It's just annoying. You should also be able to leave comments in the YouTube way, i.e. not being taken from page to page to do so.

Bigger "SUBMIT CONTENT" link and more focus on viewing your account details
When I first joined NG, it took me a while to figure out how to upload a movie. Perhaps making a bigger link could increase spam, but meh. There are always people who will create alt accounts or use different IP addresses with this system, so there's really no way of stopping the spam.
And yes, you should be able to see how many messagesy ou have on every page without having to go to a new section. Also perhaps some stats on video views, latest awards.

The NG "Gamertag"...?
A little XBOX-esque NG card would be cool. Like with your name, an icon and your latest movies, batting average etc. That would kick ass.

Polls on the forums
Every good forum has an option for creating a poll. Don't let NG lag behind without one.

Well, that's about it. All other stuff, such as an updated audio portal, bitesize etc, has been publicized already.

Feedback is welcomed.

----
I know Darkside already responded, but I thought I'd post it here so everyone else can.

Also, I like my idea of the NG card. It could be easily done with a little .png image file and with people posting it in forum sigs and stuff, NG would be advertised well.

cogspin