• 35,292 Replies
Evark
Evark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-02 10:19:14

At 3/2/06 02:19 AM, Rucklo wrote: Just linking you to that page in case you intended to come here more often and clean up, which is warmly welcome :)

I've checked it out a couple times, but usually it's too late to actually do anything. I'll be sure to keep up with that page, although a well-timed email is also quite helpful.

I've been branching out lately and visiting more sections of the site and BBS. Only problem is, since I don't actually make Audio myself (and haven't even attempted it in a long time) I feel like I'll have a spot of trouble moderating a forum centered around it.

But I guess I can work on that with time. I'll be around every now and again.

BBS Signature
PiePie
PiePie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-02 15:33:00

At 3/2/06 10:19 AM, Evark wrote:
I've been branching out lately and visiting more sections of the site and BBS. Only problem is, since I don't actually make Audio myself (and haven't even attempted it in a long time) I feel like I'll have a spot of trouble moderating a forum centered around it.

But I guess I can work on that with time. I'll be around every now and again.

most of the lock worthy threads here don't have to do anything with audio related content...

hehehehe Evark reminds me of aardvark

Anyways I'm back from my little trip and I come to the conclusion if it is your first time snowboarding or skying do not go on expert runs with your friends...

I met death on many occasions

Erkie
Erkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-03 15:03:06

lol

Report Songs|Submit Ideas|How Erkie reviews|
94% of posts made in AF since 2005

BBS Signature
Denvish
Denvish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-03 15:06:25

At 3/3/06 03:03 PM, Erkie wrote: lol

Blah

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature
ShinDenjin
ShinDenjin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-03 15:08:10

At 3/3/06 03:06 PM, Denvish wrote:
At 3/3/06 03:03 PM, Erkie wrote: lol
Blah

pwned.

Die...

Erkie
Erkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-03 15:12:49

I guess he's... Gone for good?

heheheh

He's not going to... Bother us anymore?

heheheh

Sorry Denvish.

BBS Signature
Denvish
Denvish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-03 15:19:33

I dunno, maybe I was wrong to lock the thread in the first place, but I still think it's pretty pointless.

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature
Erkie
Erkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-03 15:29:20

Well, it looks like plenty of people swarmed to the contest. It was just a dead advertisement.

BBS Signature
PiePie
PiePie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-03 16:08:23

X-Digital what a guy LOL Erkie and Dentster for some reason I found your lil posts extremely funny...

Who is in The Mochiland contest? I want to learn a few faqs before I commence and start a new breed of movies...

PiePie
PiePie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-03 16:48:07

At 3/3/06 04:42 PM, ChuckChildren wrote: I want to make music

Thank you for not making a topic

TjA
TjA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-03 18:25:07

At 3/3/06 04:48 PM, PiePie wrote:
At 3/3/06 04:42 PM, ChuckChildren wrote: I want to make music
Thank you for not making a topic

could it be the first person do post taht without making a new topic oh and hey people anyone doing any music of any special quality...

BBS Signature
ShinDenjin
ShinDenjin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-03 18:28:36

wow... someone pleaded without making a topic... I'm so happy^_^

Die...

TritoneAngel
TritoneAngel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-03 19:00:07

At 3/3/06 03:08 PM, ShinDenjin wrote: pwned.

Man, I'm glad somebody said it. That was just awesome. The Denvish equivalent of a giant F-U. Classic.

<|> TritoneAngel <|>
<|> Visit TritoneAngel Audio for guitar-centric rock, metal, VG, jazz & classical songs.
<|> Newest TritoneAngel Audio: Clockwork
(submitted 12/8/08)

BBS Signature
ShinDenjin
ShinDenjin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-04 15:19:23

It's Saturday... woo...hoo...

Die...

Tomamo5
Tomamo5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-04 15:28:00

OK, I posted a topic for this but Im not sure if Ill get many replies so Ill post it here too...

Can anyone find me the sheet music for piano of the song Going/London Underground - The Jam. Ive tryed everywhere but I cant find the full peice...anyone? Email it to me or post the link here please :)

PiePie
PiePie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-04 21:23:37

Hmmmm the question is do I do

20 fps or 15 fps, 20 fps or 15 fps, 20 fps or 15 fps, 20 fps or 15 fps, 20 fps or 15 fps, 20 fps or 15 fps, 20 fps or 15 fps, 20 fps or 15 fps(fades slowly)

Which one....

Distortzion
Distortzion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-05 05:41:37

Gwah, Fl has fucked up :3

Worship.

BBS Signature
Dobio
Dobio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-05 05:50:24

I just spent like four hours in the Audio Portal...I must say, you guys deserve a lot more credit than you get. :)

Still a world famous superstar.

PiePie
PiePie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-05 08:47:55

At 3/5/06 05:50 AM, Dobio wrote: I just spent like four hours in the Audio Portal...I must say, you guys deserve a lot more credit than you get. :)

Why thank you

UnknownFear
UnknownFear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-05 09:41:12

I have a brief, FL question for you, Denvish.

How do you make your own beats? I know it is VERY noobish and all but how do you?

mhb
mhb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-05 09:44:14

At 3/4/06 09:23 PM, PiePie wrote: Hmmmm the question is do I do

20 fps or 15 fps, 20 fps or 15 fps, 20 fps or 15 fps, 20 fps or 15 fps, 20 fps or 15 fps, 20 fps or 15 fps, 20 fps or 15 fps, 20 fps or 15 fps(fades slowly)

Which one....

60 fps.

my youtube.
click it.

BBS Signature
PiePie
PiePie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-05 18:48:29

At 3/5/06 09:44 AM, mhb wrote:
60 fps.

wow imagine how smooth that will be...

PERVOK
PERVOK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-05 18:53:04

At 3/5/06 05:50 AM, Dobio wrote: I just spent like four hours in the Audio Portal...I must say, you guys deserve a lot more credit than you get. :)

This is probably one of the first times a mod other than Denvish has skimmed over a large part of the AP.

Kudos.

PiePie
PiePie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-05 19:02:23

At 3/5/06 06:53 PM, -ZENON- wrote:
This is probably one of the first times a mod other than Denvish has skimmed over a large part of the AP.

Proteas tried but failed to much jelly donuts and screwdrivers for him!

JesusSaves
JesusSaves
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-05 19:59:42

Did anybody else want to beat that Nirvana guy with a baseball bat?

TritoneAngel
TritoneAngel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-05 23:33:41

You know, it was funny. I grew up with Nirvana, and I had a weird experience with their music. When they first came out, I hated them so much; the whole idea of romanticizing a genre where things are purposely out of tune or sloppy or treated effort as if it were a crime really, really bothered me. But then, weirdly enough, after Kurt died I wound up liking them, got really into Soundgarden and stuff, and started appreciating some of their other stuff. Even started to forgive Nirvana for "Rape Me." But not totally. Meh, so that's where I'm at on Nirvana.

<|> TritoneAngel <|>
<|> Visit TritoneAngel Audio for guitar-centric rock, metal, VG, jazz & classical songs.
(submitted 12/8/08)

BBS Signature
Laiderdaiv
Laiderdaiv
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-05 23:48:20

At 3/5/06 11:33 PM, TritoneAngel wrote: Even started to forgive Nirvana for "Rape Me." But not totally. Meh, so that's where I'm at on Nirvana.

What do you mean?

wat-u-smokin
wat-u-smokin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-05 23:53:23

maybe he's sayin rape me is a bad song

TritoneAngel
TritoneAngel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-06 00:50:09

"Rape Me" is an awful song for several reasons.

1. It sounds like the lyrics were made up almost on the fly. You can picture Kurt standing at the microphone in the studio just going through the motions. "Okay the song's called 'Rape Me.' Hmm. Hey, I got the first line in the song right there: 'Rape me.' Okay. That's a great start! Hmmm... line 2.... hmmm... Oh I KNOW! 'Rape me my friend.' Whew. This is going easier than I thought. Okay... third line... hmmmm..... hmmmm... think hard here.... GOT IT! 'Rape me.' Killer. Man, this is gonna be awesome...." The song arguably has the worst lyrics in the history of rock music. There's a total of what, something like four or five lines of distinct lyrics in the whole goddamn song... not counting the immortal "Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh" in the chorus. Really a travesty. For someone like me and I would think any musician who spends any kind of time on painstakingly constructing lyrics to fit the mood of a song, tell a story, or whatever, this song is the ultimate F.U. I can't rant long enough about this, so i'll just stop now.

1a. Sort of a corollary to #1 -- this has got to be the most repetitive song since Shari Lewis and Lambchop's "The Song That Never Ends." It just goes on and on, my friends. Just for the heck of it, count how many times he says "rape me" in the song. Kurt... we get it. We know the song's title. Says it right on the album cover. It's written down. Trust on on this. Move on to some other words now please. Really. We're serious now. All right stop it. Stop it now. And then it goes on and on some more. I think of this anytime I'm having trouble writing lyrics of my own. "Hey, maybe if I just repeat the title 563,492 times in a row, that will really fill out the song well." Like I said, I could rant about this forever. Moving on.

2. The topic. You know, someone may not have told this to Kurt, but rape is a bit of a sensitive topic. Makes people a little uneasy. Particularly the women. Can't imagine why something like rape would seem to get under people's skin, but you know, some people just get a little uncomfortable when you sing a song about someone being violated against their will. Touches a nerve. And before the Kurt Cobain apologists come out of the woodwork, don't buy for a SECOND the rationalization that the song is actually about the degradation a musician undergoes in the music industry. Even if it's true, then the lyrics are deliberately done to shock and inflame the basest emotions of the listening audience. It's shock value at the lowest common denominator. It's taking arguably the worst thing imaginable and then just repeating it and yelling it at the top of your lungs for 3 minutes. There's no artistry in that, no style and no value, frankly. It takes precisely zero talent and zero ability to piss people off and be loud about it. The song doesn't make people think, it doesn't make any kind of viable statement, and it just plain sounds like crap. Put those things together, and you've got "Rape Me."

3. The guitar work. This really is like shooting fish in a barrel, taking candy from a baby, etc. Now I know the whole gimmick in grunge music is to be simple and uber-accessible. It's pandering to the widest audience. I don't like it, but I get it. Fine. But seriously. The whole freakin' song is the same. This just kills me. Throw a little variety in there, please. Change the rhythm, change a chord in the progression, throw a new note in there just for kicks, something for crying out loud.

4. The vocals. Again, I know... that's part of the gimmick, to be more ordinary and accessible. I get it. Fine. But come on now -- can you at least indulge the artifice for one minute that you're actually trying to sing something here, and not just unintelligibly garbling something really loud? This happens in damn near all of Nirvana's songs (I defy anyone to transcribe all the lyrics to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" after hearing it for the first time, or that really odd "Grandma Take Me Home" (????) song.). I've tried to accept it. But "Rape Me" really takes the cake. You've already got the foundation of awful lyrics, a terrible topic, a purposely unstylistic delivery, endless repetition, and now you're gonna sing the damn song like you've got cotton-coated marbles in your mouth... and then yell your freaking head off repeating the title over and over again. I'm dying here.

5. The bizarre popularity. For some reason or other (I'm convinced the karmic gods did this just to spite me) this became one of their best known songs. It got ENDLESS airplay on the radio at all hours of the day on every station that had even a remote connection to a rock audience. They performed it on every talk show. (Man, if I could ever catch a glipse of Jay Leno's face when they sang this song... that would be an instant 413,589,356,901 out of 10 on the Unintentional Comedy Scale.) And it had legs... lasting on the radio for years after Cobain's death, and then even enjoying a revival when the Nirvana greatest hits compliation came out. Remarkable really. It's as if the entire world just rose up against me and decided against all logic and reason and sense of taste that this was an awesome song and that the world must, MUST be exposed to it... nay... must be suffocated with it, and lo for it must permeate every fiber of our being forevermore, amen. It was uncanny. And it SUCKED. Everyone seemed to be immune to this reality, from the radio hosts, to the reviewers, to Rolling Stone, to the talk shows, to the listening public, etc. Still, it managed to practically become the "My Heart Will Go On" (and on... and on... and on... and on.... and on... and on....) of the rock music world.

All right, I'll stop now. I could probably think of 40,000 more reasons to hate this song, but I'm coming dangerously close to the character limit on this post, which means I've already gone on far longer than anybody could possibly care about. Things like this just get to me. Not my fault. Blame Kurt.

Whew. All right. It's out of my system now. There, I said it.

<|> TritoneAngel <|>
(submitted 12/8/08)

BBS Signature
TjA
TjA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2006-03-06 11:13:09

At 3/6/06 12:50 AM, TritoneAngel wrote: "Rape Me" is an awful song for several reasons.

I disagree, if you look at my Kurt Cobain Tribute you'll see why he wrote that song...

BBS Signature