TheComet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-01 13:38:51

At 10/1/08 12:44 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 10/1/08 12:08 PM, Hades0013 wrote:
Well, if you have ten reviews, you should respond, but if you get 100+ reviews, it really shouldn't be expected of you to respond to each and every one of them. Maybe just the really good, constructive ones. :P

Then again, I try to maintain a habit of my own, which is returning the favor of reviewing. I think it's the polite thing to do, if nothing else.
nonesense - Ive responded to every single 5000+ reviews I have gotten - there is NO excuse! >:(

How the hell would you respond to something that is so butchered with 1337 that you can't understand it o.o

Flash Count: 111 | Audio Count: 568
Sanity is grossly overrated and detrimental to the creative process.

TMM43
TMM43
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-01 13:55:05

At 10/1/08 12:44 PM, Chronamut wrote: nonesense - Ive responded to every single 5000+ reviews I have gotten - there is NO excuse! >:(

Yes there is! I don't want to sit there and respond to reviews with one line like " I liked it"

..............The Guide to Newgrounds Audio
Latest Track: Infinity
Need Help? Real Life|Audio

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-01 13:57:38

At 10/1/08 01:55 PM, TMM43 wrote:
At 10/1/08 12:44 PM, Chronamut wrote: nonesense - Ive responded to every single 5000+ reviews I have gotten - there is NO excuse! >:(
Yes there is! I don't want to sit there and respond to reviews with one line like " I liked it"

thats why I write "thanks for the review" at the end of all mine

for ones like that thats the only part of the response I write.. generic reviews get generic responses :P

TMM43
TMM43
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-01 13:59:48

Well why would you waste your time?

I honestly only respond to reviews that have a LOT of helpful info in them.

BBS Signature
LiquidEvolution
LiquidEvolution
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-01 14:22:07

At 10/1/08 01:59 PM, TMM43 wrote: Well why would you waste your time?

You can always just write "Thanks to anyone who reviews" in the song description then reply to all the helpful ones. Everybody wins that way.

yea

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-01 14:41:30

At 10/1/08 02:22 PM, LiquidEvolution wrote:

You can always just write "Thanks to anyone who reviews" in the song description then reply to all the helpful ones. Everybody wins that way.

even if their reviews are mindless it still shows that I go out of my way to read each and every one of them - I find that important to show to others.

Hades
Hades
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-01 17:07:43

At 10/1/08 02:41 PM, Chronamut wrote: even if their reviews are mindless it still shows that I go out of my way to read each and every one of them - I find that important to show to others.

Agreed. And I hold to the same pattern of ending every response with a different variety of "Thanks for reviewing.". The non-helpful ones simply don't get anything before that part.

BBS Signature
MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-01 22:09:53

Goodnight sweet prince. Rucklo, your efforts will be missed. Here's hoping you never leave us behind!

TMM43
TMM43
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-01 22:28:55

At 10/1/08 10:09 PM, MaestroRage wrote: Goodnight sweet prince. Rucklo, your efforts will be missed. Here's hoping you never leave us behind!

Wait what?

BBS Signature
WritersBlock
WritersBlock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-01 23:06:03

At 10/1/08 10:09 PM, MaestroRage wrote: Goodnight sweet prince. Rucklo, your efforts will be missed. Here's hoping you never leave us behind!

He will be missed. I guess that's why SBB and snayk became BBS mods, so that he wouldn't leave this place unattended.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE
Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-01 23:33:17

And our mod song was shaping up to have the perfect ending too :C
Happy trails, old bean.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
New-Milkman
New-Milkman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-01 23:48:44

Rucklo was defiantly an awesome mod. Thanks for the advice you've given me and stuff, and I hope you have a good time doing whatever it is you're now going to be doing.

TMM43
TMM43
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-02 00:11:08

Why'd teh Rucklo leave? I miss him....so much

BBS Signature
S3C
S3C
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-02 02:56:41

lol, then why do you spam 10s, short written reviews and ask people to return the favor?

it takes a second to write "thanks/fuck you" and it takes a few minutes for a user to listen and write "AWESUM!"...thats just my philosophy anyway :|

Hades
Hades
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-02 04:21:36

Y'know, when I joined NG, and started hanging around this forum, Rucklo was THE mod. He was the one that was always here, ready to either direct you to the right thread or simply slap a ban all over your face. Since I wasn't here back when he wasn't a mod, he always felt like a usual part of the forum, and I believe it will take me quite some time to adjust to the fact that he won't be modding it any more. It just seems very hard to believe right now. But I believe that we should all respect his decision, and wish him the best of luck with the work he's planning to do now.

So simply: Goodbye, Mod Rucklo, I really hope that from time to time we'll have the pleasure of seeing your new, mod-free self on the forum. And, of course - good luck.

BBS Signature
WritersBlock
WritersBlock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-02 04:33:01

At 10/2/08 04:21 AM, Hades0013 wrote: Y'know, when I joined NG, and started hanging around this forum, Rucklo was THE mod. He was the one that was always here, ready to either direct you to the right thread or simply slap a ban all over your face. Since I wasn't here back when he wasn't a mod, he always felt like a usual part of the forum, and I believe it will take me quite some time to adjust to the fact that he won't be modding it any more. It just seems very hard to believe right now. But I believe that we should all respect his decision, and wish him the best of luck with the work he's planning to do now.

So simply: Goodbye, Mod Rucklo, I really hope that from time to time we'll have the pleasure of seeing your new, mod-free self on the forum. And, of course - good luck.

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. But I'm sure everything will all be fine.
Look! What's this? A story? Written for Rucklo? It's kind of representing his situation, but 'tis different in several key ways. Link

Suicide is not the answer...

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE
Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature
Phoog
Phoog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-02 05:35:33

Dude why did he leave?
Dude when did he leave?
Dude...

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-02 14:58:36

At 10/2/08 05:35 AM, Ambimetric wrote: Dude why did he leave?
Dude when did he leave?
Dude...

Check his newspost. It's clear.
I support his decision, but it's still sad that a great mod as Rucklo leaves though...

Xeptic
Xeptic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Game Developer
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-02 15:07:16

Hey Audio Regs

I was hoping you guys could participate in a little survey for me. I take it most of you are amateur audio artists. Say, hypothetically speaking, there was a website where amateur artists like yourselves could submit songs (or albums for that matter) for digital distribution. The people who would download the songs can chose whether or not they want to pay for the content (and if they do, how much, so they can base their purchase on the quality of the content), a bit like Radiohead did with In Rainbows I suppose. the artists would get a percentage (say 60 to 70 percent) of the revenue from their work, the rest would go to the distributor. Does that sound acceptable to you? Would you consider trying it?

And for the last question: To achieve this the artist would have to agree to pass the copyright (for the album or song, perhaps only for a limited time) to the distributor, in order to avoid legal issues. So the song would only be available for download from the distributors site. Would that be a major issue for you?

I'm asking this for a project I'm working on for one of my university classes. Thanks a lot for reading the wall of text!

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-02 16:03:41

At 10/2/08 03:07 PM, Xeptic wrote: And for the last question: To achieve this the artist would have to agree to pass the copyright (for the album or song, perhaps only for a limited time) to the distributor, in order to avoid legal issues. So the song would only be available for download from the distributors site. Would that be a major issue for you?

That's the part I have a problem with. As a musician, I would want to offer my songs in as many places as possible for more exposure. Unless the compensation was adequate, I don't think I'd use a place like that.

It's like getting signed, except a label would distribute the songs for you in radio and whatnot.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-02 16:04:06

At 10/2/08 03:07 PM, Xeptic wrote: Hey Audio Regs

I was hoping you guys could participate in a little survey for me. I take it most of you are amateur audio artists. Say, hypothetically speaking, there was a website where amateur artists like yourselves could submit songs (or albums for that matter) for digital distribution. The people who would download the songs can chose whether or not they want to pay for the content (and if they do, how much, so they can base their purchase on the quality of the content), a bit like Radiohead did with In Rainbows I suppose. the artists would get a percentage (say 60 to 70 percent) of the revenue from their work, the rest would go to the distributor. Does that sound acceptable to you? Would you consider trying it?

And for the last question: To achieve this the artist would have to agree to pass the copyright (for the album or song, perhaps only for a limited time) to the distributor, in order to avoid legal issues. So the song would only be available for download from the distributors site. Would that be a major issue for you?

I'm asking this for a project I'm working on for one of my university classes. Thanks a lot for reading the wall of text!

I assume most people would just pay nothing at all, as their is a lot of music already downloaded for free, while it normally costs money. Why would anyone pay for music online if they can also get it for free without any more effort?

I think I wouldn't do it to be honest, I like it when I have the rights for my work, so I can do with it what I want, at any time.

It all sounds like a nice idea, but I think with peoples mentality it just wouldn't work. Because (in my opinion) the most people looking for music online are adolescents (like myselfs) who don't have to much spare money, and even if they really appreciate a song, they still wouldn't bother to pay if they could get it for free.

Xeptic
Xeptic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Game Developer
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-02 16:42:22

All very good points. As for the copyright issue: The problem is that if the artists keep the copyright, the distributor is not allowed to make money from the artist's work, or the artists could just decide to pull the music from the website which would be a pretty serious issue for the webmaster. So in a sense, having to give the copyright to the distributor isn't in the contract so the distribution-site is the only place the music could be downloaded from (although it would probably hurt the revenue if the work could be downloaded from other places as well), it's mainly there for stability reasons. I must admit my research is a little premature, maybe some other form contractual form would work better (as long as the artist's work is guaranteed to stay on the website).

I agree that people's willingness to pay for legally downloadable work from Radiohead probably doesn't compare to their willingness to pay for content created by amateur musicians. There would have to be some sort of quality control as well to at least make sure that the quality of the content would be worth paying for :)

Anyway, it's all pretty complex. The concept is starting to sound more and more like a record label than an actual distribution network. Although it would be interesting if there was a label that would offer it's music for free, just to see if it would trigger a reaction from the bigger labels.

Thanks for the feedback guys

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-02 16:44:57

At 10/2/08 04:42 PM, Xeptic wrote: Thanks for the feedback guys

No problem. What kind of project are you working on? :)

BBS Signature
Xeptic
Xeptic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Game Developer
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-02 16:54:31

Exactly the above really. I'm sort of hoping to find some kind of innovative, less corporate, more budget friendly way to 'acquire' music. Radiohead pretty much proved people are willing to pay for the music if they have some sort of control over how much they have to pay for it (although I'll obviously never know how many people still downloaded the album, still a couple million copies isn't bad). I think it's interesting to somehow continue what they started.

BBS Signature
SolusLunes
SolusLunes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-02 18:00:08

Why not just give them a copyright instead of the exclusive rights? Like the way places like ReverbNation and the like do?

loogiesquared
loogiesquared
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-02 18:01:14

i'm DLing all of the Fab Five's ppls's songs...

Hades
Hades
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-02 18:22:26

At 10/2/08 06:01 PM, loogiesquared wrote: i'm DLing all of the Fab Five's ppls's songs...

Wth do you mean under 'DLing'? :P

BBS Signature
loogiesquared
loogiesquared
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-02 18:23:24

At 10/2/08 06:22 PM, Hades0013 wrote:
At 10/2/08 06:01 PM, loogiesquared wrote: i'm DLing all of the Fab Five's ppls's songs...
Wth do you mean under 'DLing'? :P

downloading, old man...get with the times....

The Audio Forum Lounge

Hades
Hades
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-02 18:25:52

At 10/2/08 06:23 PM, loogiesquared wrote: downloading, old man...get with the times....

Juwt wait till I get mae teef, and yu'll thee whooff old, fonny...

BBS Signature
loogiesquared
loogiesquared
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2008-10-02 18:27:35

At 10/2/08 06:25 PM, Hades0013 wrote:
At 10/2/08 06:23 PM, loogiesquared wrote: downloading, old man...get with the times....
Juwt wait till I get mae teef, and yu'll thee whooff old, fonny...

i'll DL ur songs tomorrow.... SLEEP! BED! VIDEO GAMES!