Respond to this Topic
slinkyanimation
slinkyanimation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to May Award Winners! Jun. 12th, 2005 @ 06:12 PM Reply

Gratz to the winners! WOW if i knew i could get all that stuff for something like that i would have listened in school!

slinkyanimation
slinkyanimation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to May Award Winners! Jun. 12th, 2005 @ 06:14 PM Reply

I quote you with this the truth hurts and the good makes you happy but all of this stuff will make your life crappy!

exfuga
exfuga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to May Award Winners! Jun. 13th, 2005 @ 02:33 AM Reply

RAB WILL LIVE ON FOREVER

woot

TomaO2
TomaO2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to May Award Winners! Jun. 13th, 2005 @ 03:05 AM Reply

You know, I still just can't help but feel your not really thinking about the important parts of what I am saying. Just looking to find quick points to target me on. I really take exception to your act, pretending like your the one that was insulted, though.

:And what exactly is the "this" I've given you? I work hard on my posts (and my reviews), too, yanno. A large portion (larger than that of most posters, certainly) of my posts reach or nearly reach the 6500 character limit. I type fast, but it still requires time, effort, attention, etc. etc... so I respect the care you give your own posts, but please don't disrespect me by implying I couldn't possibly understand that or possibly be anything like you in that regard. It's insulting, man.

But you didn't respect the care I made in my post. Don't pretend you did. That's what "THIS" is.

You replied in such a dismissive way. You mentioned NOTHING about it having made any kind of a point whatsoever. It would have been really nice if you had but instead you just lumped it in what a bunch of half thought out posts and essentially trashed it, and you spent more time trashing my words then the others. Yes, that WAS insulting and disrespectful... to ME and it was far more so then my post was to you.

Since you seem utterly at a loss as to how I could feel this way, perhaps I should bring every point to the fore. You seem to like completely excessive nitpicking.

:SO MUCH HATE IN THIS TOPIC, eh? Let's fan the flames:

First off, you said you wanted to 'fan the flames' and labeled the posts as hate. You say now that this is OBVIOUSLY tongue in cheek. I don't see how I am expected to know what is meant jokingly and what is serious. Perhaps, you can remember not everyone has the same since of humor as you have and when your not dealing with friends, keep things more diplomatic or at least say 'joking' in brackets.

:At 6/7/05 03:12 PM, Back_Door_Baron wrote:

Then you got my name wrong. Even if it was a mistake you surely must be able to appreciate how that makes a person feel dismissed (and do not tell me not to 'freak out', you probably meant it as another 'joke' but it's not coming across that way). Then you simply repeat what I have already said. Which really DOES make it sound like you are not properly reading what I wrote.

:Did you, Back_Door_Baron (and JetNinjin and ScrunchMuppet), ever think that JUST MAYBE... just maybe other voters for these monthly contests aren't voting strictly for the "most visually stunning animations"? The ones that [graphically] "blow everything else away"?? Did it ever occur to you that things like humour, action, drama, violence, romance, plot, dialogue, interactivity, and MANY OTHER FACETS of a flash appeal to different people differently?

Um... no, I didn't. I only consider the graphics. That's my style. #;-}>

:#1) a very fun and replayable game (with great graphics, IMO, so perhaps you'd agree with this pick, if not the other four)
#2) a hilarious Marc M flash with a song about a dragon's penis (which to you must be shit, since it isn't "visually stunning")
#3) a hilarious flash about a burglar with Tourette's Syndrome (not very good graphics either, but they were better than the dragon penis flash's)
#4) a sweet and funny visual story/music video about a girl who meets a robot and goes to school with it
#5) a kick ass shooter game with not the best graphics but FUN GAMEPLAY

How do you think I liked it when you go over your picks and decide how much I'd like each by the graphics that are in it? You say I'm insulting??? You beat it over and over again, graphics are not important. Well, that was the conclusion I came to as well. Like I said, TOTALLY REDUNDANT!

:All the idiots lecturing people for not voting for what THEY PERSONALLY LIKED need to get over themselves.

You cap it off by calling me and other posters idiots. More of that humor of yours, I guess. I have a few funny words I could use on you too. Since you find that sort of suff amusing, I am sure you ''d. laugh but I don't sink to that level and I would appreciate it if you didn't either, it cheapens any meaningful dialogue. Unlike the others, I'm not telling you to vote on what I personally like. You never denied that Nim looks better then the rest. ALOT more skill and work went into it. Quality should rise to the top.

Oh yea, I guess I really am the insulting one...

Well, it may surprise you but despite what I just said above, I don't think graphics are all there is to a good animation. (Last month I would have loved K&K The Finale to have won I love the series) Which is why I mentioned that I was able to pick out two winners for this month. I wrote a good summery for both describing the numerous ways they were good flashes and it didn't exclusively focus on the graphics. You now tell me that, in fact, you meant to say that alot of aspects get judged when making a flash movie. Well, I KNOW THAT!!!

That said, graphics are the biggest show of skill. The better they are the more you know a person worked on it. What was it they say? 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. humour, action, drama, violence, romance, plot, dialogue, and interaction... ALL of that is the inspiration. We have no way of knowing how much thought went into it. We don't know how much effort that was but we do know if a person spent weeks drawing the look of it. That, we can be sure of.

I have very little faith anymore. Don't toss in that line about Galapagos. Galapagos would probably not have made it. That's my feeling after the recent dismissal of Nim's Tale. I have actually seen that animation and while it may have deserved a place, it would not have gotten one. I think that, fundamentally, the top 2000 users will choose other styles. Like the Madness (and it's spinoffs, I noticed that Tricky Apotheosis did rather well for what is pretty well just madness, starring Tricky) series with it's spin offs and David Phulp's creepy stories and whatever.

I don't think that is right, if it was open voting for everyone, I would agree that a higher slandered cannot be sometimes used but I just can't help but feel that the top 2000 active users in Newgrounds, who have all been here for a year and more should be capable of it. I guess can agree to disagree on that. Which is fine, we can do that. Just don't treat my thought's like they are of less worth then yours.

Collecting NG's undiscovered gems has been a hobby of mine since 2005. I am curently posting them on my blog.

Feel free to check them out and tell me what you think.

thats-what-she-said
thats-what-she-said
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to May Award Winners! Jun. 13th, 2005 @ 04:45 PM Reply

its weird how maxwell edison story came in tenth when it has the highest score right now

0peth
0peth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to May Award Winners! Jun. 13th, 2005 @ 10:30 PM Reply

Great Tom everything is looking good for you April looks hot and she was wearing a newgrounds shirt :) Edmund got a girl all looking good for the newgrounders. Well if you didnt already ask April marry her. When Fulp does get a Newgrounds building I'll invest :). Hell yeah Newgrounds will have 1,000,000 users in about 3 years. Anyway how come Wade never comes to these things Tom? I've never seen him having fun or coming to the awards? Newgrounds rules! HURRAH!

And just like that....he was gone...

BBS Signature
0peth
0peth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to May Award Winners! Jun. 13th, 2005 @ 10:41 PM Reply

At 6/12/05 06:14 PM, slinkyanimation wrote: I quote you with this the truth hurts and the good makes you happy but all of this stuff will make your life crappy

ppppffffffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttt Watch out doctor suess *coff* lolz

BBS Signature
0peth
0peth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to May Award Winners! Jun. 13th, 2005 @ 10:45 PM Reply

At 6/13/05 04:45 PM, da-wiglet wrote: its weird how maxwell edison story came in tenth when it has the highest score right now

I thought the same thing except I think it's up to Tom im not sure though good point. I liked that flash but im not sure y it's first. That song was a classic though

BBS Signature
DonDoli
DonDoli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to May Award Winners! Jun. 15th, 2005 @ 01:24 PM Reply

At 6/9/05 08:43 PM, gfoxcook wrote:
At 6/8/05 04:53 AM, DonDoli wrote: Finally a rather good list.

But why was last month the only month that you didn't post any runner-ups?
He probably forgot to. But while Tom didn't post a top 20 or 25 or 30 or whatever like he has for 3 of the 4 updates back for April's voting... he DID mention one runner-up, so "didn't post ANY runner-ups" isn't exactly accurate. See the boldfaced part down below:

Kinda late for me to reply I guess, not too many will read this but whatever, it's not like I have anything to do.
He did mention one runner-up, yes, but just that month was the only month that I had a submission in the list, and the cruel fate made Tom not post the list just that month. No need to mark words, I just wanted to know how well I did... *sob*

ericgamer
ericgamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to May Award Winners! Jun. 26th, 2005 @ 06:56 AM Reply

might b a little bit late buttuh {Email doesent work} i voted 5 4 4 of them
and i didnt watched ducktalez zo how can i vote then ^_^ srry ducktales
congratz anyway {next time ill look at everithing availeble ^_^ }

The-Gorillaz
The-Gorillaz