f0d
f0d
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to May You Vote Jun. 1st, 2005 @ 11:13 PM Reply

At 6/1/05 09:50 PM, Jordanog wrote:
At 6/1/05 09:47 PM, F00D wrote: How can we tell if we're in the top 2000 ACTIVE users?
you'd have a message in your profile

What I meant was how can I tell how close I am to being in the top 2000

tre

BBS Signature
Jenou
Jenou
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to May You Vote Jun. 1st, 2005 @ 11:15 PM Reply

i wish i wasnt sugh a low-level user.

O HAI

BBS Signature
Anthonny
Anthonny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Gamer
Response to May You Vote Jun. 1st, 2005 @ 11:16 PM Reply

I would like to be in the "Top 2000" but that's too hard... :o(

Parasoul
Parasoul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to May You Vote Jun. 1st, 2005 @ 11:19 PM Reply

1. MGS 3: Crab Battle.

2. Nim's Winter tale.

3. Bunnykill 3 Vol.1.

4. Gooberstory.

5. The Tourette's Burglar.

Tony-Castro
Tony-Castro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to May You Vote Jun. 1st, 2005 @ 11:33 PM Reply

don't die just go to newgrounds.com

May You Vote

RedOval
RedOval
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to May You Vote Jun. 1st, 2005 @ 11:40 PM Reply

Everyone check out Bones before you vote, the backgrounds and animations were magnificent.

pr0de
pr0de
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to May You Vote Jun. 1st, 2005 @ 11:45 PM Reply

I don't even need to be in the top 2000, I'm just too damned good.

May You Vote

Dekathos
Dekathos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Blank Slate
Response to May You Vote Jun. 1st, 2005 @ 11:55 PM Reply

FIRST I am verry happy that I can vote on Star Wars AP but dissapointed that I couldn't find Anakin Loves Padme anywhere.

ANYWAY This was a great AWESOME month. VERY easy to vote even if all my favorites weren't there.

Can someone tell me what the requirements for a flash being listed are? I assumed it had to make front page.

MAYORMCHEESE
MAYORMCHEESE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 12:01 AM Reply

I think it's for the highest rated submissions of the month.

unban russianspy22

BBS Signature
Acid
Acid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 12:03 AM Reply

meh I voted bones number one. ^_^

You could really go for a chocolate chip cookie right about now...

BBS Signature
AnzRage
AnzRage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 12:07 AM Reply

At 6/1/05 09:50 PM, jonthomson wrote: Slow.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=280187

This is more offical. I voted already, but I won't tell you which one. I want people to vote according to what they want not be influenced by me.

BBS Signature
TomaO2
TomaO2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 12:14 AM Reply

Toma O'Two's Guide To Picking Winners

Now everyone want's to have their favorite movie picked to be one of the top five but what we all REALLY want is to pick the Flashes that are going to win. When the winners are posted we all want to scream, "OMG, 3 of the movies I picked won, yay"

Am I right? Does this sound like you? Well fear not for if you choose the movies that I have selected you will definitely get a few.

Now Many months there are what I like to call "locks" for a top five placing. Movies that touch a place on our hearts and become so popular to the majority that losing would be unthinkable. I will tell you which ones I think are such movies and why.

-Bunnykill 3 Vol.1 is the first most natural choice. For all intents and purposes the Madness series and It's most popular rip off, Bunnykill draw the exact same group of people and they WILL vote for anything that comes from the minds that do the two series. Already, "Madness Depredation" has won second place in March and "Bunnykill 2" has won second in February.

This, collectively, is a better showing then any other style you can think of (including David Firth, who has also won 2 lower ranked awards for his creepy style of animation.) "Bunnykill 3 Vol. 1" Shows to be every bit as entertaining as previous two movies. Those facts and it's current placing on the top fifty makes this, far and away, the most definitive LOCK for the top 5 movies of May. If you want to pick a winner pick this one.

-Newgrounds SIM v 1.2 Is the game to beat. Yes, it's repetitious, long, and has no challenges that cannot be solved by simple endurance. That said, nothing but NOTHING on Newgrounds captures the essence of what it is like to be an account user for this website. Not only is this in the top fifty flashes on newgrounds (always a good indication that it has a shot of placing, though don't be a slave this idea, There are many others that buck the trend) but....

Think about it. Everyone that votes for the top five has been a dedicated Newgrounds account user for over a year. It's a significant part of all your lives. Plus, it allows your friends to see what the fuss is all about in an addictive, fun game that anyone can play. The graphics are nice and everything about it SCREAMS NG nostalgia. Some may scoff at playing a game version of that they have spent so long doing for real but any truly popular activity will make it in a game. From car racing to the Olympics to a simple game of marbles. Yes being an account user is every bit the equal of all of that and this game shows it.

For all these reasons, NG Sim is a LOCK for a top five placing and furthermore will be the top ranked game of the month.

-

Nim's Winter tale has perhaps, with the possible exception of Gooberstory, the most beautiful animated backgrounds in all of Newgrounds. At times I stopped breathing a little as my eyes went wide with the gorgeous winter wonderland shots the 'camera' showed. The music was such a perfect accompaniment that you can't help but be riveted to the screen. It even gives a few, small IMEX style moments where the shot turns and you feel you move with it. There's no violence in this (I don't count the tossed snowball as such) and this is better for it. And then you find out that Nim is a Pixie and when a hard night's work of fixing the barn is done. A fairy believer brings him some porridge. This movie is so good it can make you believe, of only for a moment that they really do exist.

I'll admit some bias here. I think this is the BEST movie of May. It warms the soul and touches wonder and awe in every frame that's shot. For all these reasons "Nim's Winter Tale" is a LOCK for a top 5 May placing.

Those are the locks for this month. I refuse to guess more then three because you can always be surprised by choices and should have some wiggle room. Plus I can't very well have a column of sure bets if I get even 1 wrong. So I'm gonna be careful.

Two other movies I think deserve to round out the top five are

-Valhalla Knights from the creator of The Real Legend of Zelda2 The animation is fantastic and it's a great opener to a future series. It also feels a bit short and some may not care for the voices actors used or may not care for the plot which has been unfairly (in my view) called cliche.

Gooberstory is an animation I am positive won't win and even I'll admit that the author's other work "Nim's Winter Tale" is more compelling. It also might seem unfair to the other artist to give 2 monthly awards to the same man on the same month. Goober is very abstract and you may not care for that style but the man just has so much talent oozing out of his pores that it cries out for recognition.

His works are simply the best that NG has to offer in animation background and I cannot bring myself to pick a different movie when this one is looking at me. So do me a favor, give this a chance and Watch it.

Well that's my picks for May. I hope this post makes you think and vote this May... The right way!
^_~

PS. This is the first time I have tried links, I hope they work.

Collecting NG's undiscovered gems has been a hobby of mine since 2005. I am curently posting them on my blog.

Feel free to check them out and tell me what you think.

boloneyman
boloneyman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 12:26 AM Reply

My votes:
Negrounds Sim V 1.2
BunnyKill 3 vol1
The Non-Livingstons 002
Holy Sword 5
Breakit

Well I'm an idiot, how do you take screen shots, because I'm tired of typing it out.

I am a new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.

BBS Signature
KupaMan
KupaMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 12:37 AM Reply

I put my vote in a few hours ago, but they were something like this:

MGS3: Boss Failures
MGS3: Crab Battle
My Year With The Dragon
Bones
and something else that I forgot.

I suck.

TomaO2
TomaO2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 12:38 AM Reply

At 6/1/05 11:55 PM, Dekathos wrote: FIRST I am verry happy that I can vote on Star Wars AP but dissapointed that I couldn't find Anakin Loves Padme anywhere.

ANYWAY This was a great AWESOME month. VERY easy to vote even if all my favorites weren't there.

Can someone tell me what the requirements for a flash being listed are? I assumed it had to make front page.

Any animation that has made a spot into the daily top five is a candidate to be a monthly winner. In addition, any movie that has gotten a front page listing is also added to the nomination pool. That is, unless it was already in last month's contest (no more Kitten Cannon situations). I believe that is all the submissions that are listed in any given month.

Oh and for those people that refuse to influence other's with their voting habits... As you can see I have no such qualms. Why should I? Look at pretty well any subject that is even slightly controversial and you will find people lobbying for this that and the other's viewpoint. From politics, to abortion, to the kind of snacks you will serve at the diner party. As far as I am concerned, it's all a part off free speech and can only make things more interesting.

Seriously though, I just have to laugh at the attitude. You give yourself too much credit. All monthly voters are experienced users that are NOT going to be swayed just because you listed it. I think they are intelligent enough to ask 'WHY did you vote that way?' that and 'are those reason's good enough for me?'. So go ahead and post your picks people. Unless you give the REASONING for your choices (as I have done) I doubt it'll make any difference.

In fact, I'm not even sure my post will make any different. We'll have to see.

Collecting NG's undiscovered gems has been a hobby of mine since 2005. I am curently posting them on my blog.

Feel free to check them out and tell me what you think.

KupaMan
KupaMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 12:40 AM Reply

At 6/2/05 12:37 AM, KupaMan wrote: MGS3: Boss Failures
MGS3: Crab Battle
My Year With The Dragon
Bones
and something else that I forgot.

Oh, and DucktakeZ 3 was my number 5. Sorry. Forgot that one.

I suck.

KupaMan
KupaMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 12:54 AM Reply

There was way too many good flash this month. I had no chance. I have the worst luck ever. RAB 13, Nim's Winter Tale, Bunnykill 3, Bones, Crab Battle, the list is endless. Next time I get something high scoring Adam Phillips will sneak attack NG with 5 brand new flashes or something.

I suck.

TJ
TJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 12:54 AM Reply

At 6/1/05 11:13 PM, F00D wrote: What I meant was how can I tell how close I am to being in the top 2000

There probably isn't a way we could tell if we're one of the top 2000 active users, but what I did was just kept depositing and logging overall rank in experience and I think when I got to 2500-ish I was able to vote for the monthly submissions. This started 3 months ago, (March 4th), and since then I've jumped from #3090 to today at #1988 in experience.

Just be patient.

Bug
Bug
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 01:08 AM Reply

At 6/1/05 09:47 PM, F00D wrote: How can we tell if we're in the top 2000 ACTIVE users? Because I know I'm in the 4000s overall, but I don't know if that means active users.

I'm pretty sure you need over 2000 exp.

Celestial-Avenger
Celestial-Avenger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 01:26 AM Reply

Sad that my #1 has already been forgotten by the masses.

May You Vote

XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Movie Buff
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 01:32 AM Reply

I voted this morning, this time a few better ones are of choice...

~X~

~X~ ~X~ ~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
POXNORA ??? A Very Unique game

BBS Signature
someone-else
someone-else
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 02:10 AM Reply

7 days, that should be enough for me to make my decision.

int experience, posts;
while(experience/10 >= posts)
{posts++};

HairydragonballZ
HairydragonballZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 02:13 AM Reply

Last month I missed my vote
because I was trying to watch all of the movies before I voted
but I do have a job so it took 7 days

Luckily I have already seen most of these
so I will be able to vote fairly

May You Vote

Frostbreath
Frostbreath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 03:18 AM Reply

If could vote, i'd vote for Nim's Winter tale. Hope no one's forgotten it.

UberBarista
UberBarista
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Gamer
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 03:41 AM Reply

Awesome, there were a ton of good entries last month.

gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 04:07 AM Reply

At 6/1/05 09:44 PM, liljim wrote: Just a very quick note to say that the voting for the monthly awards is now open (for those of you who haven't already realised and are eligible to vote)!

Every time the first of the month rolls around, there are now two things I think of:

A) time to pay the rent!

B) ooo, the voting for top 5 flashes of the month is open! #;-}>

Here's how it will work - voting will open at 9am on the first of every month. Voting will close at 9am of the seventh day of every month. The dates of the nominations running for previous months have been more erratic than that, but we all think that 7 solid days is enough for the nominations to receive enough votes. Previous discrepancies, with regards to which submissions are applicable, have been resolved in this rotation of nominees.

Good luck to the nominees for this month!

Good luck indeed. I hate to be anal (okay, no, I don't... but I do hate to be anal with you #;-}>), but 9 AM on the 1st to 9 AM on the 7th is actually exactly 6 days, not 7 days.

Personally, I think that's plenty of time, but if you guys were shooting for a full 7 days/week voting period, closing time should be 9 AM on the 8th.

At 6/1/05 10:38 PM, Toocool100 wrote:
At 6/1/05 10:34 PM, ramagi wrote: Well cool for everyone that they know when they can vote, hard to miss it if someone takes the tiem to look at thier grounds gold menu.
Since i am automattically logged into NG every time i open my browser there really isn't any need to open my grounds gold menu. I think i wanted to open my profile for a reason i dont normally do this afternoon, and i just so happend to see it where i probably wouldn't have seen it under normal cercumstances. oh well :P

I log out of my account to deposit on my alts every single day o' teh week/month/year that I'm at home, so... there's no problem for me.

But most of time I'm already anticipating the vote link being there due to... as I said to liljim... it being the first of the month, yanno? Just keep the calendar in mind and with time it should start to become habit, man. #;->}

At 6/2/05 01:26 AM, -Osaka- wrote: Sad that my #1 has already been forgotten by the masses.

I loved Girl meets Robot, and I'll probably be voting for it.

Unfortunately, however, the entries I want to vote for include:

Movies: Tourette's Burglar, Star Wars Transitions, My Year With The Dragon, Girl meets Robot, Bunnykill 3-1, RAB 13, The Jedi Song, Star Warz thingie...

Games: Rumble Ball, Newgrounds Sim, Retronoid FS, Overrun II...

And those are the ones I'm thinking of NOW... Once I go through the nominees page thoroughly, I can probably add another 5 or 10 entries I really want to vote for to those... 8 movies and 4 games.

And that, of course, is so far... a total of... TWELVE! (sigh) I'm going out of town on Friday and getting back late Saturday, so I won't be worrying about my final vote until Sunday the 5th, anyway. Got some time to mull this over thanks to the new time limit being so nice and lax. :::very grateful:::

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
Denvish
Denvish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 05:20 AM Reply

Ay caramba! The competition just gets tougher and tougher.... the quality of submissions seems to have risen drastically over the past few months...

Good luck to all the nominees.

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature
Acid
Acid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 05:51 AM Reply

At 6/2/05 12:03 AM, Acid-Rain wrote: meh I voted bones number one. ^_^

akira the don ~ Livin' in the future by zef, numba two. The songs so damn catchy.

You could really go for a chocolate chip cookie right about now...

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to May You Vote Jun. 2nd, 2005 @ 06:00 AM Reply

Seven days? :S I voted as soon as I saw the voting thing on my panel. :S I knew which ones I wanted to vote for, so I'm alright. I bet I was one of the first people to vote. Oh, and thanks for allowing me to vote for May submissions. :)

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut