New Topic Respond to this Topic
Burnzoid
Burnzoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Feb. 18th, 2007 @ 06:53 AM Reply

I've been playing bass for seven years and will out do anyone in this club!

I did it for the lulz:

BBS Signature
Twone
Twone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to Bass guitar Club Feb. 18th, 2007 @ 09:16 AM Reply

So... am I in yet?

BBS Signature
positively-negative
positively-negative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Bass guitar Club Feb. 18th, 2007 @ 08:54 PM Reply

At 2/18/07 04:25 AM, Insert-Pie wrote:
At 2/18/07 04:06 AM, positively-negative wrote:
It all really comes down to what you need. A 4 string or a 5 string. Fender always make a good bass but Ibanez also make some damn fine basses as well. It is a matter of seeing what one can find in their area that is good and within their budget.
I don't want a fancy 6 string fretless bass or anything like that. I just want a standard 4 string.

A friend of mine is after a Warrick. He says they're pretty good. I've also heard Fenders are alright to start with, but aren't that good if you're after a high quality bass. Opinions?

Warricks ar pretty good. but all the good ones are high end hand-made products which will cost a fortune. and a good Fender will not only play well, those fuckers are built to last, I mean my dad's friend has a bottom end Squire that retails for less than $400NZ and has been using it professionally for 15 odd years. But also have you thought about maybe buying a used bass. If you can find the right deal you may get a $2000 bass for $1000 just because some bloke took it out of the case once or twice.

I'm also willing to stretch my budget if I have to.

If you have too. Then look at US made Fenders. like any Fender, they play nice, can be used for anything and have a god like reputation to boot.

positively-negative
positively-negative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Bass guitar Club Feb. 18th, 2007 @ 08:56 PM Reply

At 2/18/07 09:16 AM, Twone wrote: So... am I in yet?

Sure I suppose. We don't really have a joining up thing I think, we just join in on the conversation.

Krazy666Kraker
Krazy666Kraker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Feb. 18th, 2007 @ 08:59 PM Reply

hey does anybody have a bass they want to sell to me cuz i need one and my fav bass player is Paul from slipknot pls help

Twone
Twone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to Bass guitar Club Feb. 18th, 2007 @ 09:05 PM Reply

At 2/18/07 08:56 PM, positively-negative wrote:
Sure I suppose. We don't really have a joining up thing I think, we just join in on the conversation.

Oh. Okay.

At 2/18/07 08:59 PM, Krazy666Kraker wrote: hey does anybody have a bass they want to sell to me cuz i need one and my fav bass player is Paul from slipknot pls help

lol. Just go to musiciansfriend.com

BBS Signature
Vercetti008
Vercetti008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 4th, 2007 @ 11:28 PM Reply

Well, I play the bass and I would like to join.

My bass is a Squier Jazz bass, Satin Pewter Metallic and it's kickin ass. I realy don't mind havin what a lot of people would consider a cheap bass because the pant job is AWSOME, and I love the jazz bass sound and it's neck. I'm currently tring to play slap, I can play it more o less, but not like Les Claypool.

My favorite bass player is Cliff Buron, I think he's THE best bassist to ever exist, such a shame he died cuz he onl played a short time and yet became a legend. Most people are gonna say :"OH BUT ALL HE DOES IS USE DISTOTION HE'S NOT THAT GOOD LOL" cuz they don't know shit about him, not saying noone knows about him but that there's too many people sucin' Mike Dirnt's small hairless dick. Thts one thing that pisses me off, Precision-pick players, people who don't kow shit about the bass and veen less about sound. I do not know what is the obsesion with the precision bass, most people just use cuz thats the only thing they see in MTV and they can't afford to chose another bass despite the millions they make cuz they got their heads to far up their asses to figure out that there is more than it. Most people use fender cuz thats the only brand that exist for them

Don't get me wrong, I love fenders, but when you make millions, why can you use AT LEAST an American Deluxe? And thats why we got so many suck bassists. I hate the poeple that try to look as if they know a lot just by saying that Flea's good. What's so special and unique about him?What?Because he jumps while playing?Because he looks good doing so? People that woship(worship, not just like) are ussually the ones who don't kow who Les Claypool is, he's a 100000000000000000 times better than Flea, AT EVERYTHING. Usually the people who say flea rocks are ht eones who don't know who Billy Sheehan is either. Man, I'm fucking tired of hearing Mark Hoppus, Mike Dirnt and everything that has to do with precision basses.

Precision basses suck ass, BIG FUCKING HUGE TIME. They're heavy, the neck's are SUPER uncomfortable and they don;'t have any sound, the only precison bass player I respect is Steve Harris because apart from the fact that he doesn' have his head up his ass and he uses n American series precision,uses flat wond strings and plays with his fingers,HE NOWS HOW TO PLAY. Why not get a Jazz Bass, trust me wannabees, you'll like the sound, thats why I bought it, because I didn't wanna be one of the millon losers that had a precision.Man sorry I' repeatingmy anger but I just want to get this off my chest cuz it really annoys me. Another pik player I respect is Chris #2 from Anti-Flag, cuz he rocks.

Well anyways I'm planning on modifying my bass, put some vintage pickups,pick cover, pickguard etc. and buy a distortion pedal, and a Monster Bass Intrument cable. Again I'm sorry for this sudden critique but it truly bugs me and I hope there's more bassist on the future who can play. Also I don't plan to look like I know everything about the bass.

positively-negative
positively-negative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 5th, 2007 @ 01:15 AM Reply

At 3/4/07 11:28 PM, Vercetti008 wrote: Well, I play the bass and I would like to join.

My bass is a Squier Jazz bass, Satin Pewter Metallic and it's kickin ass. I realy don't mind havin what a lot of people would consider a cheap bass because the pant job is AWSOME, and I love the jazz bass sound and it's neck. I'm currently tring to play slap, I can play it more o less, but not like Les Claypool.

Almost the same thing I have except mine is in Black. I find it a reasonable bass for me and the band to use. But if I could be fucked I would put a Precision split pick-up instead of the front Jazz bass one to give it some more bottom end sound.

Don't get me wrong, I love fenders, but when you make millions, why can you use AT LEAST an American Deluxe? And thats why we got so many suck bassists. I hate the poeple that try to look as if they know a lot just by saying that Flea's good. What's so special and unique about him?What?Because he jumps while playing?Because he looks good doing so? People that woship(worship, not just like) are ussually the ones who don't kow who Les Claypool is, he's a 100000000000000000 times better than Flea, AT EVERYTHING. Usually the people who say flea rocks are ht eones who don't know who Billy Sheehan is either. Man, I'm fucking tired of hearing Mark Hoppus, Mike Dirnt and everything that has to do with precision basses.

Dude, the American Deluxe Fenders are out of the price range of most. I am struggling to save the money for a Japanese Precision so I think a top of the line which is only just below the price of a custom shop model is out of the question for most. Cheap basses are not the reason for bad bassists, it is people coming up with shitty music for even more moronic people to play bass for. And Flea is not actually a bad bassist, he just doesn't do anything special. And Jaco was a better bassist that Claypool, it is just the fact that not many people are willing to listen to his acid-jazz godlyness. And Hoppus plays a J-bass for the record.

Precision basses suck ass, BIG FUCKING HUGE TIME. They're heavy, the neck's are SUPER uncomfortable and they don;'t have any sound, the only precison bass player I respect is Steve Harris because apart from the fact that he doesn' have his head up his ass and he uses n American series precision,uses flat wond strings and plays with his fingers,HE NOWS HOW TO PLAY. Why not get a Jazz Bass, trust me wannabees, you'll like the sound, thats why I bought it, because I didn't wanna be one of the millon losers that had a precision.Man sorry I' repeatingmy anger but I just want to get this off my chest cuz it really annoys me. Another pik player I respect is Chris #2 from Anti-Flag, cuz he rocks.

What the fuck are you on about? Precisions are bloody nice basses to play and are amongst the most reliable objects in the universe in living with and beating the bloody crap out of someone in a bar fight in (I should know I have seen this first hand, messing with a guy holding a P-bass is a bad idea), and the weight is part of their character, the neck is still one of my favourites, but that is because I quite like a thick neck. Without them your precious Jazz Bass would never have existed. They have more bottom end than a J-bass. And many bass gods use the good old humble P-bass. James Jamerson, John Entwistle to name a few. And the P-bass is more than a wannabees instrument, I know more pro bassists with one than any other, it all comes down to at the end of the day which bass you like, I like the P-bass and that is that. Pick playing is not the devil either, Andy Rouke of The Smiths plays a mean pick bass.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 5th, 2007 @ 08:03 AM Reply

At 3/4/07 11:28 PM, Vercetti008 wrote: Wahhh precision.

Jesus christ dude.

BassManFreddyG
BassManFreddyG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 5th, 2007 @ 11:27 PM Reply

Been playin for 2 years and I have a squier affinity p-bass(soon to be customized) and a dean rhapsody 12 string bass. I play with a pick and my fingers, whatever I feel like. . .

Vercetti008
Vercetti008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 9th, 2007 @ 05:19 PM Reply

At 3/5/07 01:15 AM, positively-negative wrote:
At 3/4/07 11:28 PM, Vercetti008 wrote: Well, I play the bass and I would like to join.

Almost the same thing I have except mine is in Black. I find it a reasonable bass for me and the band to use. But if I could be fucked I would put a Precision split pick-up instead of the front Jazz bass one to give it some more bottom end sound.

Dude, the American Deluxe Fenders are out of the price range of most. I am struggling to save the money for a Japanese Precision so I think a top of the line which is only just below the price of a custom shop model is out of the question for most. Cheap basses are not the reason for bad bassists, it is people coming up with shitty music for even more moronic people to play bass for. And Flea is not actually a bad bassist, he just doesn't do anything special. And Jaco was a better bassist that Claypool, it is just the fact that not many people are willing to listen to his acid-jazz godlyness. And Hoppus plays a J-bass for the record.

What the fuck are you on about? Precisions are bloody nice basses to play and are amongst the most reliable objects in the universe in living with and beating the bloody crap out of someone in a bar fight in (I should know I have seen this first hand, messing with a guy holding a P-bass is a bad idea), and the weight is part of their character, the neck is still one of my favourites, but that is because I quite like a thick neck. Without them your precious Jazz Bass would never have existed. They have more bottom end than a J-bass. And many bass gods use the good old humble P-bass. James Jamerson, John Entwistle to name a few. And the P-bass is more than a wannabees instrument, I know more pro bassists with one than any other, it all comes down to at the end of the day which bass you like, I like the P-bass and that is that. Pick playing is not the devil either, Andy Rouke of The Smiths plays a mean pick bass.

I agree, an American Deluxe is way out of price range for a lot of people I mentioned that when you make millions why can't you buy one? Of course I was refering o people in big bands like Blink 182 or Green Day.I agree too that Jaco Pastorious is better than Claypool, but since claypool is in a more popular band I guess it would make a good example.By the way, Hoppus does not use a Jazz bass, he uses a bass with a Jazz body but it has some lackluster bassline precision pickups and no jazz pickups, when I say jazz bass I'm usually refering to the pickups not just the looks, I prefer a rickenbacker but I will never afford one so I'll stick with the jazz bass.Precision basses are reliable, but it never gets noticed, at least I felt that way with mine( yes I do own one)I tried to make it sound louder but it'd just sound terrible, a lot of good artist use them but that just because it matches their taste and because they usually play something softer. I apoloized for my opinion even thought I didn't need to cuz it's jsut an opinion but, I never said ALL pick players are crap there are some nice ones, like Chris #2, Evan Seinfeld etc. I never said was crap either, I said he was good, but he isn't as good as many people see him. I never liked the precison but I said that the thing that pissed me off(cuz it''s kinda stupid getting mad at lifeless object althought I said I really silike playing it), the thing that pissed me off was the fact that bands on MTV only use that kind bass only because thats what everyone uses and it's because the don't have their own taste and they wouldn't bother to look for their sound.I don't mind someone playing, I just hate really ignorant bassist( and no they're not ignorant just because they play a precision I made my point) Oh and squier does make precision basses witha jazz pickup, or maybe you meant a jazz body with P/J.

positively-negative
positively-negative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 9th, 2007 @ 08:03 PM Reply

At 3/9/07 05:19 PM, Vercetti008 wrote: Oh and squier does make precision basses witha jazz pickup, or maybe you meant a jazz body with P/J.

Yeah, I want to make my Jazz have a P/J configuiration. Fender do make two models like that but one is just ugly and moderatly expensive and the other is just expensive.

Kreator0943
Kreator0943
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 9th, 2007 @ 10:34 PM Reply

Hell yeah, nice club.

I play a 1984 B.C. Rich Warlock, quite the beast.
I play metal, classic rock, and punk.
My favorite bassist is Cliff Burton.

SpankyX2
SpankyX2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 10th, 2007 @ 07:01 PM Reply

Revival!

IM in.

Thats the prettiest thing I've ever seen. and I've seen some nice tits~Dave

positively-negative
positively-negative
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 11th, 2007 @ 11:10 PM Reply

At 3/10/07 07:01 PM, SpankyX2 wrote: Revival!

IM in.

I really don't think it is a revival if someone hasn't posted in it for only a day.

Anyway, what sort of shit do you use?

Vercetti008
Vercetti008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 12th, 2007 @ 09:05 PM Reply

At 3/9/07 10:34 PM, Kreator0943 wrote: Hell yeah, nice club.

Hmmm, B.C. Rich is kinda cool I guess, I would get an ESP better because the cheapest are almost worth the same as a B.C. rich.They have a deeper tone. But it's cool, every one has tehir taste. And yes, Cliff does own some ass too bad he's dead.Check out Billy Sheehan, he'll impress you more.

Vercetti008
Vercetti008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 14th, 2007 @ 11:13 AM Reply

Well since noone talking and I don't want this thread to becaome a ghost, has anyone ever seen Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan playing?They're fucking awsome.I mean the rest of the band is ok but those two kick ass, too bad it's kinda hard finding their CD's in Puerto Rico. And I don't feel like downloading a whole album, but my teacher has the DVD so I'm gonna ask him for it.

Buddhist
Buddhist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 01:59 PM Reply

Claypool & Wooten are better imo.

Also, let me say this: Beethoven's Fifth Symphony on bass is a bitch to keep up with. I can get down the first verse or so, but then it's like trying to keep up a Malmsteen-like pace up high on the neck, it gets a little tough. But damn if it doesn't sound beautiful, even on my crappy Squier.

btw, I own a fretless acoustic/electric 5-string Michael Kelly Dragonfly, and a 4-string Squier, which I'm restringing when I get the cash.

"In this world // We walk on the roof of hell, // Gazing at flowers." -- Issa

BBS Signature
Vercetti008
Vercetti008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 07:40 PM Reply

At 3/15/07 01:59 PM, Buddhist wrote: Claypool & Wooten are better imo.

btw, I own a fretless acoustic/electric 5-string Michael Kelly Dragonfly

Dammit, that's one of my favorite basses. Too ad I don't have 600 on me, if so I would buy it in an instan, of course after building a custom bass, wich'll be kinda expensive so I'm looking for a job this summer. Man has anyone seen the ESP AX series bass?It fuckin' looks cool, but not that awsome for a funk band, wich is what I'm aiming for.Man that pisses me off, almost nobody in Puerto Rico wants to play funk, the few "rockers" that there are just wanna play hardcore(bacuse they don't know ow to make a decent riff, just hit cords fast)death metal,metal core, or anything that has metal on it. I love metal but I feel like a wannabee when I play it. There's just so many people sucking Slipknots dick that i's sickening.

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 07:46 PM Reply

I'm not joining cause I can't be bothered.... although I think I joined ages ago.

Beside the point. I just wanted to say, all of you learn 'Kiss Me' by Sixpence None The Richer. Its fucking cool :).

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
Vercetti008
Vercetti008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 18th, 2007 @ 05:43 PM Reply

hmnm, I changed my mind the precision a little bit.See since I never enjoyed playing and listeting to the P-Bass, I never bothered to check them out, but, the other day I was checking out basses and I happened to be curious about the American P-Bass, because that's the one that Steve Harris uses, and it sounds quite nice. See I liked that bass but I noticed that it had a certain " S-1 pickup switching system". That called my attention, I've read up on it, it's qute nice. See now, standard p-basses sound like shit but if you put some flatwound strings on an american precision it sounds like heaven but then again I don' think I'll be getting one, instead I'll work, buy myself a Geddy Lee and modify it. I just love the neck, I mean I haven't played it, but I'm really into comfort and if it's more slimer than the j-bass neck, I really want it. either that or an american jazz bass wich has the same S-1 technology although I would prefer the p-bas instead.

CrackIsVitamins
CrackIsVitamins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 18th, 2007 @ 05:51 PM Reply

Hey.

I have a Black Schmit 4 String, I call her Sally.
I can slap, play with my fingers or a pick.
I have a Peavey Amp.
And other useless shit.

But I need a new strap. :/

Twessel
Twessel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 18th, 2007 @ 07:39 PM Reply

I play upright bass, does that make me a weenie?

='(

smoke meth and hail satan

Buddhist
Buddhist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 19th, 2007 @ 12:04 PM Reply

At 3/15/07 07:40 PM, Vercetti008 wrote:

Dammit, that's one of my favorite basses. Too ad I don't have 600 on me, if so I would buy it in an instan, of course after building a custom bass, wich'll be kinda expensive so I'm looking for a job this summer.

It's a real nice guitar, but imo I should have gone with a 4-string. 5-string acoustic takes a lot of getting used to. Plus, the electric part came broken so I gotta fix it at some point.

& can you believe that a case for it costs $100? Forget that...

"In this world // We walk on the roof of hell, // Gazing at flowers." -- Issa

BBS Signature
Vercetti008
Vercetti008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 20th, 2007 @ 07:29 PM Reply

At 3/19/07 12:04 PM, Buddhist wrote:
At 3/15/07 07:40 PM, Vercetti008 wrote:

Dammit, that's one of my favorite basses. Too ad I don't have 600 on me, if so I would buy it in an instan, of course after building a custom bass, wich'll be kinda expensive so I'm looking for a job this summer.
It's a real nice guitar, but imo I should have gone with a 4-string. 5-string acoustic takes a lot of getting used to. Plus, the electric part came broken so I gotta fix it at some point.

& can you believe that a case for it costs $100? Forget that...

Yeah, and fender vintage cases ar like 170$That's just stupid. it doesn't have any other function than protecting the bass and lookin pretty.But I'd still buy the case for the Michael Kelly thought, too much of a nice bass to even get scratched = )

Idiosyncratic
Idiosyncratic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 20th, 2007 @ 07:35 PM Reply

I joined some time ago, but I'll help out this club.

Question:

IF you were to pick a key signature to solo in which would it be?

Eb or G?

Here I am, bored with everything.

BBS Signature
Gendo
Gendo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 20th, 2007 @ 07:39 PM Reply

At 3/18/07 07:39 PM, Twessel wrote: I play upright bass, does that make me a weenie?

='(

Nope, that makes me envy you. I want an upright bass.

Chindamo
Chindamo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 20th, 2007 @ 07:47 PM Reply

At 3/9/07 10:34 PM, Kreator0943 wrote: Hell yeah, nice club.

So do I, don't know what year though, all it says is platinum series.

I record with my Ibanez though.

Me too, minus the classic rock.

Me too.

ARE YOU MY LONG LOST TWIN OR WHAT???

>:(

Chindamo
Chindamo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 20th, 2007 @ 07:49 PM Reply

At 3/20/07 07:35 PM, Idiosyncratic wrote: IF you were to pick a key signature to solo in which would it be?

Eb or G?

I hate playing in E flat, it's such a bitch having such a high base note.

My favourites are A and G, and to a lesser extent D, because I picked up alot of licks from 'Anesthesia - Pulling Teeth', a solo by Cliff Burton.

>:(

Vercetti008
Vercetti008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Bass guitar Club Mar. 24th, 2007 @ 09:38 AM Reply

Hey I was thinking of making a forum out of this tread.But I dont know if any of you would go,because it's nice having our space here,what do you guys think?I'm inda bored so i'm up for anything