00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

StemlyAnarchy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Star Wars... Racist? Again?

10,263 Views | 123 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 10:26:19

Does everyone remember the big Jar Jar controversy with Star Wars Episode 1? People felt that his accent and floppy ears (dreads) were a stereotype of rastafaris.

Episode 2 has ushered in a whole new controversy - people think that Jango Fett and the clone army are playing off "American paranoia about Mexican immigration", even though the actor is from New Zealand and isn't even Latino. He just "looks" Latino.

The article is here:
http://detnews.com/2002/entertainment/0205/18/d01-492788.htm

Must be a slow news week. Your thoughts?

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 10:40:30

What da?
What kind of crap is this? It's just a movie, fiction. How do people get those ideas? Can't they enjoy a good movie without looking for those things?
They are complaining about a star wars movie, fiction. They just have to ruïn the change for people to have fun.

The Newgrounds forums are not for serious debate, but humorous entertainment only.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 10:42:57

i think those critics are fucking retards, i wonder if they even realize that this movie is about space aliens, and the few humans that are auctually seen are the heroes, and thats it.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 11:07:56

And I was worried that 4 in the Morning News wasn't getting enough recognition.

Through The Cracks

Maybe he should start doing pointless racism stories and star wars dramas if he wants people to look at it. This whole story is a crock! Race is such an issue with so many people, remember way back when people said that Seinfeild's New York was too white?

-Mud

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 11:38:33

At 5/19/02 10:26 AM, TomFulp wrote: people think that Jango Fett and the clone army are playing off "American paranoia about Mexican immigration"

Holy shit! Stupidity has reached an all time low. If they're going to draw parallels, they could at least make them feasable ones. This is just another excuse for racism.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 11:39:39

thats bullshit I am latin and I dont find that racist.(I just saw the movie last night)

besides they were probably just looking for someone with good acting skills and who had a figuire close to the 1 boba had in the older movies.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 11:56:01

Holy fucking shit.....you REALLY have to be looking for it and streching it to find that. What the fuck -- Clone Army = millions of Mexicans? Get real. And what the hell was that about a "West Coast fear" of immigrants. God damn people are dumb. Oh and the only black guy in A New Hope is the bad guy... oh no!! Could your really imagine anyone else but James Earl Jones doing the voice of Vader? Gee there isn't lots of other movies like that. Hell take "Summer of Sam" made by Spike Lee. The only thing black people do in that movie is loot and steal. OH MY GOD! Burn him at the stake...oh wait he's black.

Sorry, I was just a little angry at this article...just like Eggtron said, people are creating an excuse for racism.

UNITE THE CLANS | space cheese | RG podcasts | also cocks

BBS Signature

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 11:59:54

The people that come up with these ideas probably have no social life and aren't capable of finding something better to do. Just fuck 'em.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 12:01:17

At 5/19/02 10:26 AM, TomFulp wrote: Does everyone remember the big Jar Jar controversy with Star Wars Episode 1? People felt that his accent and floppy ears (dreads) were a stereotype of rastafaris.

"Episode 2 has ushered in a whole new controversy - people think that Jango Fett and the clone army are playing off "American paranoia about Mexican immigration", even though the actor is from New Zealand and isn't even Latino. He just "looks" Latino."

The article is here:

LOL! That is really stupid. These people just look for things that they can use to sue people. Makes me sick

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 12:08:00

I beleive that wookies and ewoks were racist to us mole people who have hair around 90% of our bodies. (jabba the hutt was also racist as it was a characteristion of a typical american.)
The growling noises they made in the movie were in the same accent of the dark mole people in ukraine, who are covered in coal and oil. Any future movies associated with george lucas should be boycotted by anyone who cares about the mole people and mole hybrids.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 12:12:21

I think that its total bullshit,propaganda out the yin yang they are just looking for a way to bide their yuppy time and make more money and its just not right we should have put an end to this democracy years ago and had a revolution like it was supposed to happen and if I wasn't going to work right now I would ahve alot more to say! Pixie

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 12:23:25

Is anyone stupid enough to think that? I think the news invented that story to create the controversy. Either that or its some Latino "organization" looking to get money.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 12:27:08

That's retard... Star Wars Episode II should be considered a *PRO-LATINO* movie... I mean, okay, Jango Fett looks latino and is a bad guy but... what about the around 100.000 clones army in there? They are good guys and save the Jedis' butts in the very end of the movie, and as clones of Jango Fett, they are entitled to be latino too! And possibly Jar Jar was inspired in a rastafari... So what? We should be more scared about Anakin Skywalker, who is played by a... *CANADIAN* actor! George Lucas is trying to tell us that Canadian people are bad! Oh, my Canadian friends should be pissed!

PD: I'm a latino... Do you see me offended for this movie? No! So that's it... The Politically Correct People really, really needs a hobby...

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 12:31:01

At 5/19/02 10:26 AM, TomFulp wrote: Does everyone remember the big Jar Jar controversy with Star Wars Episode 1? People felt that his accent and floppy ears (dreads) were a stereotype of rastafaris.

Episode 2 has ushered in a whole new controversy - people think that Jango Fett and the clone army are playing off "American paranoia about Mexican immigration", even though the actor is from New Zealand and isn't even Latino. He just "looks" Latino.

The article is here:

Man they must crazy.

Newgrounds is a website for 13 year olds who cannot understand the difference between "there", "their" and "they´re".

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 12:34:09

The article is here:

My thought? Cricts never Ceese to amaze me. How they can take an Army of Soldiers who's faces we never see and don't even speak in a Latino Accent And say IT'S RACIAL Hell the Clone Troopers Kicked some serious ass If it was Latino then It would have been praising them! And This Bullcrap about them Moving exactly the Same in large groups?

THEY'RE FUCKING CLONES! THAT'S WHAT CLONES DO! My god. In this day and Age a White Person Drinking Chocolate Milk is being Racist. Then again It's Star Wars any big name movie like Star Wars is going to have Gay Fagot Critics who will try to diminish it for God knows what reason while had this Been some Movie called

Galactic Battles and Stuff with CLones

It would have been overlooked. Lemme Guess Hoth was racist to Eskimos, Ewoks are Racist to Hairy Midgets, C3P0 is About Gays, Jar Jar is Jamacian somehow Considering he is A FUCKING FROG! and How is it that Me Sar Jar Jar is Considered, Hey Mon get to thee back of thee Bus

In the End someone will point out the Dumbest things to say they're right and Star Wars is Racist.

I have a Rock that Keeps Tigers away

How does it Work? It doesn't it's just a Stupid Rock, But I don't see any Tigers around here do you?

could also be seen as

Look it's racist!
How So? No Reason, But It is!

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 13:25:12

He just "looks" Latino.

Don't your get it?! put the pieces together tom! The Mexiacan have already invaded New Zealand!!

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 14:00:45

At 5/19/02 10:26 AM, TomFulp wrote: Does everyone remember the big Jar Jar controversy with Star Wars Episode 1? People felt that his accent and floppy ears (dreads) were a stereotype of rastafaris. (snip)

I haven't seen two, don't want to see it, so I have no comment about it. But I was forced to sit through Episode 1. I think if people had a greater understanding of the history of cinema, a lot more people would be really pissed off about Jar Jar Binks. Jar Jar is very reminiscent of the stereotypes portrayed about blacks in early the "talkies". (Movies with sound.) Many believe (myself included) that the many similarities between Jar Jar and, say Stepen Fetchit, are more than just serendipity. In fact, I would say that Jar Jar is the most offensive ethnic stereotype this side of Mr. Popo. Whether Lucas did this consciously or not, I'm not sure, but he did say something along the lines of "The only reason people think that Jar Jar Binks is a black stereotype is because a black actor did the voice." Translation: "I can't be a racist, some of my best friends are (insert offended group here)."

Oh well, that is our history lesson for today, not that anyone will give a shit. "He who forgets the past..." Let the flaming begin.

-Septy.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 14:03:31

Hooper: Check this shit. You got cracker farm boy Luke Skywalker, Nazi poster boy, blond hair, blue eyes. And then you got Darth Vader, the blackest brother in the galaxy, Nubian god!
Banky Edwards: What's a Nubian?
Hooper: Shut the fuck up!

-Chasing Amy

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 14:03:59

Very slow.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 14:34:19

The article is here:

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 14:55:41

That Fat Bastard Lucus, IS nothin' more than some highschool Bitch Nerd, that Got his as Kicked by the Bloods of LA, and after years of Pissing in his pants and playing D&D under his bed, the Bitch ass gets back at them the only way he knows how..
Through His Pretty Pictures wit Bad storylines!!

Get a haircut you Bitch!!

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 15:44:48

Geez! Ya know this would piss me off...but Im still laughing my ass off with Yoda fighting.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 16:04:55

Man, that's crazy, i wonder how people can actually find something to bitch about that easily, and even more, that fast. oh well.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 16:18:22

The article is here:

Tom these people are just bullshiters I'm going to see EP 2 tommow

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 16:34:38

What a bunch of crap. It's just a movie.. a STAR WARS movie! The people that say this stuff are paranoid.

--
Check out the new IRC server!

irc.DarkFalls.net
port 6667

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 17:08:33

I don't know about anyone else but i'm getting a little sick of the neverending Star Wars hype. to me it was a good movie trilogy back in the day, but the current movies are so crappy. Lucas has gone overboard with the computer graphics and i think he considers himself a god among men. He probably has a sweat shop in Germany filled with CGI animaters who haven't slept in 3 weeks.
I think that the serise should've ended with return of the Jedi
P.S
I'm a Star Trek fan myself

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 17:48:12

Americans are afraid of an invaision from mexico?. well it is poetic justice considering america robbed mexico of 30% of there country in the 1800's. but what do i know i'm just a lowly Canadian.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 17:56:24

The article is here:

Hahahahaha George Lucas, the white supremacist!

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 17:58:04

It's just a movie, whats the big deal. why do people feel the need to line up like sheep for 6 hours just to see some flick that has no basis in reality. our popculture is made up of the times we live in. i mean has it occured to any one else the the badguys of of Star Trek Enterprise are called Suliban whitch sounds similar to Taliban, or that invaison of the body snatcher was a clear metaphor for the red scare. besides i chose to go see The Sum Of All Fears and i had the entire theater to myself. i had a far better experense then the hundreds of people crammed into one small theater for 2 and a half hours.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 18:01:43

I agree with lucky squirrel.