Emperor-Bubba
Emperor-Bubba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Audiophile
the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 09:22 AM Reply

What is it ?

my vote ---- > Breath of Fire 3, on the playstation, by capcom....

yes, i think it even beats the final fantasy series.

DAMN FINE GAME, go play it

as a wise man once said - " i don't know whats i be doin'... "

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 09:25 AM Reply

Easy to say the 3D GTA series, but I don't know.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 09:30 AM Reply

Final Fantasy is RPG, right? I'd say Final Fantasy (VIII) and I think many people will agree (since this topic has been done a lot of times before).

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 9 June 2014)

BBS Signature
unownedJR
unownedJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 09:31 AM Reply

I liked "Breath of Fire 4" a lot more really, the sprites were cooler and more like anime, the moves were cool and Ryu made an awesome noise when he transformed into a dragon :P.

the flash on this account isn't mine

AGH
AGH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 09:31 AM Reply

I'll stand by Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

sysbrn
sysbrn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 09:33 AM Reply

id personally say ff9 was the best of final fantasys, but the best rpg has gotta be chrono trigger.

naojason
naojason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 09:34 AM Reply

At 4/29/05 09:22 AM, Emperor-Bubba wrote: What is it ?

my vote ---- > Breath of Fire 3, on the playstation, by capcom....

yes, i think it even beats the final fantasy series.

DAMN FINE GAME, go play it

Never tried Breath of Fire 3, but the original two.. ugh, don't let Capcom make another RPG ever again!

I'm too gay for the Internet. Also, the Star Syndickate can suck my balls.

Dr-Adventure
Dr-Adventure
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 09:37 AM Reply

At 4/29/05 09:34 AM, naojason wrote: Never tried Breath of Fire 3, but the original two.. ugh, don't let Capcom make another RPG ever again!

Well, it's apparently too late, and it was apparently awesome.

unownedJR
unownedJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 09:39 AM Reply

At 4/29/05 09:31 AM, AGH wrote: I'll stand by Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

Cool game, I like that it's big but not online so you can't turn it into your life. But it's virtually impossible to beat the game so you can't really get a great feeling of acomplishment.

the flash on this account isn't mine

Dralnur
Dralnur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 09:40 AM Reply

Fine game, might I say.
But since I now play World of Warcraft, I have to go with that. Its so good it makes your pants explode.

BBS Signature
TJ
TJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 09:41 AM Reply

My favorite final fantasy is VII, but the best RPG, in my opinion, is Earthbound.

Dralnur
Dralnur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 09:43 AM Reply

At 4/29/05 09:41 AM, kenny9969 wrote: My favorite final fantasy is VII, but the best RPG, in my opinion, is Earthbound.

Final fantasy VII = High ranking on my top ten.
Earthbound = OMG good fucking game!!! A little tedious in the end though.

What about Chrono trigger?

BBS Signature
Rhabdophobia
Rhabdophobia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 09:44 AM Reply

Freedom Force

The day I lost the CD was the day I died.

I want to die in a war

Emperor-Bubba
Emperor-Bubba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Audiophile
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 09:52 AM Reply

At 4/29/05 09:34 AM, naojason wrote: Never tried Breath of Fire 3, but the original two.. ugh, don't let Capcom make another RPG ever again!

well, breath of fire one was made WAY back in the days of the nes, so give it a break.

breath of fire two was a slight step up, and i personally enjoyed it...

BUT THREE is just the fucking shiznit, seriosuly... best rpg ive played, and I FINALLY GOT MY HANDS ON A COPY OF IT !!!!!

i had to rent it from chartbusters all along... but now i FINALLY have my own

breath of fire 1 - ....good enough for its time
breath of fire 2 - pretty decent, not on par with the standards of its time though
breath of fire 3 - need i plug it any more ?
breath of fire 4 - a close third or fourth in my top ten
breath of fire : dragon quarter - SHIT...

as a wise man once said - " i don't know whats i be doin'... "

BBS Signature
life
life
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 10:12 AM Reply

Gunbound.

I'm your average Afro-American fetus. For example: I enjoy basketball, I'm rather good when I play too, but I'm much too busy scratching my horrific cracked skin these days.

BBS Signature
cylon
cylon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 10:47 AM Reply

Baldur's Gate II.

The Japanese make some great games but compared to the best North America has to offer, they're little more than interactive movies. Very good interactive movies, but still. :)

Modjo
Modjo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 10:51 AM Reply

Fable, yup.

*grabs dick*

BBS Signature
goatseluva
goatseluva
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 10:54 AM Reply

At 4/29/05 09:30 AM, Auz wrote: Final Fantasy is RPG, right? I'd say Final Fantasy (VIII) and I think many people will agree (since this topic has been done a lot of times before).

Oh my! FFVII. That just came out of nowhere. Lol. Anyway, my favorite rpg of all time is Nethack, but I doubt anyone's played it before.

dsa

Irish-Pimp
Irish-Pimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 10:58 AM Reply

everquest is pretty sweet

BBS Signature
AGH
AGH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 10:59 AM Reply

At 4/29/05 09:39 AM, Lotus wrote:
Cool game, I like that it's big but not online so you can't turn it into your life. But it's virtually impossible to beat the game so you can't really get a great feeling of acomplishment.

If you mean the main storyline it's just a matter of getting a reasonably high level. Everything is easy once you get Sunder.

Blue-Hoody
Blue-Hoody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 11:00 AM Reply

At 4/29/05 09:33 AM, sysbrn wrote: id personally say ff9 was the best of final fantasys, but the best rpg has gotta be chrono trigger.

I always thought FFIX was one of the best games (alongside VII and VI) to come out of the FF series. It was just a great game with a lot of things to do, great characters, great plot, and a ton of minigames. I still have a FFIX save state with over 400 hours on it (Due mostly to the chocobos).

"I span the genre Vince. They call me the genre spanner."

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 11:02 AM Reply

I would have to say either Final Fantasy VII or Final Fantasy IX. Those two are very good games. VII, because it's the first FF I ever played. The storyline, music and the materia system was good. Emerald and Ruby were good challenges. Also, the chocobo races were fun as well.

Also, I think IX is good, because it is a traditional RPG and the storyline, mini games and music are very good. The characters look strange, but it made the game interesting.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ]

Formerly Bahamut

Mooshkabooble
Mooshkabooble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 11:08 AM Reply

At 4/29/05 09:25 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Easy to say the 3D GTA series, but I don't know.

You don't. GTA isn't an rpg.

I particularly liked Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, the Quest for Glory series (which was kinda rpg, but not quite), and I particularly enjoyed Tales of Symphonia a good deal.

BBS Signature
t0ast
t0ast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 11:21 AM Reply

Top 7:

1) Secret of Mana (SNES) - This is easily my favorite RPG, since it's real time combat and supports 3-person multiplayer, in addition to being a great game. And whatever you do, do not confuse it with that POS Legend of Mana for the PS.

2) World of Warcraft (PC) - ranked so high because it's currently devouring my soul. Should the gods of coincidence smile upon you, say hi ( or give money xD ) to Shadowtwist on the Eldar'Thalas server sometime.

3) Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines (PC) - First game to make use of the HL2 engine following it's release. It's really rough around the edges, but if you're into the WoD roleplaying system, or think you would want to roam around as a vampire, you need not look further than this one.

4) Morrowind III (PC) - the openendedness is amazing, it doesn't get much more freeform. Probably the most replay value you'll get out of any regular single-player experience.

5) FFVII (PS) - the first one I played, the first one I beat. Still stands above the rest at the peak of the FF series, IMO

6) Chrono Trigger (SNES) - another square masterpiece. Genious battle system, and a great story to boot

7) Neverwinter Nights (PC) - simply because of the fact that the replay value of this game will never decrease, because of the easy to use toolset and willing fanbase

J3bus
J3bus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 11:25 AM Reply

Final Fantasy 8 was the best. In my oppinion best RPG ever.

ff-X was good. X-2 had decent aspects. XII looks great.

Chrono Trigger was also good.

The door is a jar.

BBS Signature
Ben
Ben
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 11:31 AM Reply

FF X was my personal favourite - very very closely followed by ff vii

Minds shall break and bring a clear sky.

BBS Signature
Mooshkabooble
Mooshkabooble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 11:32 AM Reply

At 4/29/05 11:25 AM, -Jebus- wrote: Final Fantasy 8 was the best.

Many many many people can easily say worst FF ever for that one.

The battle system was horrible and so far removed from the traditional FF, it was terrible.

You could literally blow through the whole game in a matter of hours and never bother seriously leveling anything. Very anti RPG.

But hey, you liked it. Guess someone had to.

BBS Signature
Mooshkabooble
Mooshkabooble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 11:33 AM Reply

At 4/29/05 11:31 AM, Hybr1d wrote: FF X

Game was more emo than a 13 year old hot topic goth's blog

BBS Signature
KNII
KNII
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 11:34 AM Reply

gotta be FF6 (FF3 to us deprived westerners)

lolomfgisuck
lolomfgisuck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to the best RPG video game of all time Apr. 29th, 2005 @ 11:42 AM Reply

I don't know... FFVII was the shit for it's time so that has to be worth something. Although I personally enjoy the story behind FFX much more, although FFX-2 was so terrible I swore to never play another FF game again.

Chrono Trigger was awsome, and so was Earthbound. But I feel like I'm forgetting one from my NES days. All I can think of is Zelda and that's not right... Dragon something. Um... hold on, it's comming...

DRAGON WARRIOR. Those games kicked ass. I think 3 was the best but I can't really remember it's been so long.

John Rambo is my hero

BBS Signature